Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a Brompton S-Type

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 05:39 PM
leejb2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm considering getting a Brompton S-Type for regular commuting and errands about town. One of the things that worries me, however, is the seeming lack of luggage options. Brompton's web site suggests that only the S-Bag is compatible with the S-Type.

While the S-Bag looks like it'd be fine for my normal everyday use, I'd really like to be able to use something like the basket for grocery shopping or the touring bag for travelling (with Brompton, natch). Are these bags really incompatible with the S-type handlebars?

I suppose one option would be to get a Carradice saddlebag for traveling, but it would be really nice to have one bag for the whole trip rather than an S on front and a Carradice in back.
Old 02-21-11, 06:44 PM
IslandHopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's possible to use the slightly less tall frame from the S-bag in the touring bag
Old 02-21-11, 06:46 PM
JoelBikes

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question - I'm currently awaiting delivery of a S6R myself and look forward to hearing others thoughts on this.
Old 02-21-11, 08:43 PM
leejb2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandHopper
It's possible to use the slightly less tall frame from the S-bag in the touring bag
So I'd buy both and just move the frame around depending on which bag I wanted to use?
Old 02-21-11, 09:21 PM
wandt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could probably also cut off the handle on the frame. I don't know for sure. I have an S-type stem on the way that I plan to use with my C-bag frame.
Old 02-22-11, 02:58 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have read that the C-bag can be used so long as you don’t pack it too full height wise.
I think you would be surprised just how much you can actually get into the S-Type bag.
I’d certainly not let the luggage options put you off buying the S-type Brompton as this is by far the nicest to ride of the Brompton models. It is sporty, quick handling and comfortable to ride..... the M & P types are far too sit up & beg and sluggish for me....... the S-type just looks so much better too
Old 02-22-11, 09:23 AM
elzy0000

Bikes: '10 Brompton M6R, '11 Felt F5, '13 BMC Team Machine, '14 Cinelli Vigorelli, '15 Colnago V1-R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could add a rack and use the brompton rack sack.
Old 02-22-11, 09:44 AM
IslandHopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leejb2
So I'd buy both and just move the frame around depending on which bag I wanted to use?
yes - but a bit expensive

Interesting blog entry here : using a S bag as a saddle bag - perhaps you can adapt it to S at the front and touring at the back:
https://sevenleagueboots.wordpress.co...bag-saddlebag/
Old 02-22-11, 11:05 AM
jerrysimon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDR
I’d certainly not let the luggage options put you off buying the S-type Brompton as this is by far the nicest to ride of the Brompton models.
As the saying goes "One man's meat is another man's poison". As a slightly older man and one who has had back problems, I couldn't possibly cope with the low riding position of the S-Type bars. I guess the P Type cater for both perspectives. As for me I love riding my M3L with its sit up and beg position

I have the C bag and have read stuff about it not fitting on S Type models.

Regards

Jerry
Old 02-22-11, 11:20 AM
leejb2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrysimon
As the saying goes "One man's meat is another man's poison". As a slightly older man and one who has had back problems, I couldn't possibly cope with the low riding position of the S-Type bars. I guess the P Type cater for both perspectives. As for me I love riding my M3L with its sit up and beg position
That's the truth. My foolish youthfulness has me liking the lower position of the S-type bars, though. The commuter I ride now has its swept back bars (no rise, though) an inch or so below the saddle.

I just can't do the sit up and beg thing on a bike. I don't feel like I'm able to generate power in that position. Too much time on diamond frame race bikes, methinks. I guess in the end, that's probably the deciding factor. If I'm not going to be at least somewhat satisfied with the riding position, the Brompton may not be the best folder for me given the other tradeoffs.
Old 02-22-11, 12:11 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also do what I do with my brommie for shopping, which is have a brompton bag in front, and a klickfix bag on the seatpost.
Old 02-22-11, 07:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It depends on your height, of course ..
with the front frame clip the bars turn over the bag,
Bag too tall, brakes hit the bag with their lever tips.. not good .

S bar bag frame and get someone else to sew a deeper bag that is not tall, perhaps?
more front to back , same side to side..

a low load or one that may be taller , but Soft, so turning the bars over the bag , it gives way.

Or strap a Carradice saddle bag onto the Bag frame for the S bag.
they are sold separately.

maybe strap a 2nd one on the back of your saddle..

I'm 5'9". I have an M bar , & touring bag.

not a sit up and beg position at all.
I shift the saddle back on its rails, and flip the seat clip
behind the post.. to put the seat back further yet.

stick a saddle adapter pin on , point it backwards
and the saddle set back can be made even more..

It takes weight off my hands..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-24-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 09:07 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Simple. Make your own bags. Very little expense incurred, and the best fit around for those hard-to-fit S style frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 02-25-11, 10:45 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got the S bag on the front and a carradice saddle bag on the back. It works nicely for me, the saddle bag can stay on and doesn't affect the fold. However if I was commuting and had to store the bike in a really tight spot on a train I think the carradice would get in the way, and it is too fiddly to take off and put on easily. I would try some of the other options suggested here.

Let us know what you decide. The S-type is a lovely bike, I have been through quite a few folders and it is the best so far.
Old 02-26-11, 02:04 PM
leejb2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gringo_gus
Let us know what you decide. The S-type is a lovely bike, I have been through quite a few folders and it is the best so far.
A local shop had an S3R in almost precisely the colors I was looking for so I went ahead and jumped on it. Price seemed reasonable too. The S-Bag is surprisingly small, but it does look stuffable. I'm going to try and get ahold of a folding basket to put on the front as well, for grocery trips.

So far, it's been great. Lots of comments and I've had no trouble bringing it up and down the elevators. As with any bike, I'm already thinking about how I'm going to personalize it. Right now, I've got some cork grips I'm shellacking. Next year, I'll probably replace the brake levers with some Shimano BL-R770s (have them on another bike and love them) and get a Sturmey Archer thumb shifter for the rear hub. Big question is whether or not to add a Brooks saddle to an already heavy package.
Old 02-26-11, 04:47 PM
alien

Bikes: Strida 3, Trek Lance Armstrong USPS replica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an S2L-X with C Bag.

The S bag is just too small for my 'client visits' with stuff etc.

it's fine. The issue is that the handle rubs against the brake cables doing what you'd expect to them. - tape the cables up and you're good to go.

How did I know this would work? A Brompton employee has this exact same setup...
Old 10-24-14, 11:37 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zombie Thread Revival:

my dealer had a great price on their demo folding bag. I ride an S6l, installed this bag.

While you have stiff on the bag there is no issues on handling. BUT, did encounter trouble when the bag is empty, as the closed bags hight does interfere with the breaks. I tried to jam the bag with the breaks/bars to simulate a worst casw scenario...but could 't lock it up, so its not as bad as i thought. Still, while the bag is closed its a weird feeling, cause when you extend your fingers to feel the break lever you encounter the upper metal frame of the bag.

So my impression is: you can use this on an s model when you have something inside the bag, not while closed.
Old 10-24-14, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

demo folding bag.

the bag in question is? ..
Old 10-24-14, 12:55 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Zombie thread from 2011. But to answer the original query -
I use a Demano bag on my S type. Flew to California with a
few days worth of clothes + tools with just my bike in a cardboard
box and this bag as carry on. Also did a road trip to Philly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5M...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 10-28-14, 10:05 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob

the bag in question is? ..
Its the grocery folding bag. The store sold me their DEMO.
Old 10-28-14, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

You mean this one? Brompton, Brompton Folding Basket, Part# QFBSK
Old 11-28-14, 08:12 AM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the C-Bag with the handle lopped off, seems ok.
Old 11-28-14, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

The A bag fram has no Handle FWIW . a few Zip ties and a plastic basket attached to the bag frame

to have an open shopping bag holder to take the store's carry out bags may be useful..

and people have swapped in a bit of a riser bar into the S mast to get a skosh more clearance..
brake lever tips as long as you can turn the bars and not strike something solid with them you should be fine.

I have a messenger bag fitted to my Brommy Front Rack , so when I have something bulky ,
I take off the bag, wear it, and strap/tie down the Box or etc. on the rack and return home with it.

I'm considering getting a Brompton S-Type for regular commuting and errands about town.
since you are only thinking, no money down , yet, ... Why not just get the M bar instead?

Why prefer the Straight Bar version? are you Short?

NB if you buy the H bar version it is, at the Bar clamp High as the S mast, but the Hinge is higher up ,
so you can fit a Lower rise handlebar instead of the M bar and still not have the left bar tip hit the ground when the bar is folded down,

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-29-14, 06:25 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have an S6L..I have an S type bag..Before I got the S bag I had an old Carradice bag made in the 1990s for a Brompton.This was quite a bit bigger and carried a fair amountof stuff..The S bag is good though .You can get a lot of stuff in the zipped part of the bag on the top flap..
I have an old Carradice Nelson long flap saddlebag that I use more than my S bag..I have an old karrimor quick release on the bag which means I can take it off in seconds..You can use an SQR Quick release from Carradice to fit a bag to ..or you can get a quick release Bagman from Carradice..You can also buy a bag and quick release from Klick Fix..to fit on your Brompton..
But be warned a Carradice bag on the back of a Brompton is not a good idea..OK with 5 kilos or so in the bag..But with 10 kgs or so the bike will tip up backwards when the rear wheel is folded underneath ..And of more concern is the fact that it puts a stress on the seatpost and the frame...
Old 11-29-14, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Brompton's Large diameter steel seat posts the bit more weight should not be an Issue . <overthinking on this is likely>

but the C of G high may feel that way. , your Butt on the saddle will weigh More . and the nose on the saddle will do its job controlling the weight when you ride.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-14 at 11:29 AM.