Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ireland Beta?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ireland Beta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 11:00 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Ireland Beta?

I am planning a bike tour of Ireland but not within the next year. Still looking at bikes, etc. I’d appreciate any advice. I am interested in camping some or all, my spouse would prefer overnighting in a lodging but is open to camping (she likes backpacking/camping but still has PTSD from camping in cold wet weather during a tough week on the tandem during the 2010 “Ride the Rockies.” Any advice welcome.
Old 12-05-23, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Ireland does not have much in the way of forests. I would check out the laws re; wild camping.
Are you looking for advice for bikes or routes?
If bikes, to purchase at home or there?
Old 12-06-23, 05:32 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Listen to your spouse. Ireland is a cold and wet place.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 12-06-23, 01:52 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Ireland does not have much in the way of forests. I would check out the laws re; wild camping.
Are you looking for advice for bikes or routes?
If bikes, to purchase at home or there?
Advice on routes... and I would love to know if camping is not a simple matter in Ireland.
Old 12-06-23, 05:20 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
When we toured Ireland as part of a larger trip in 2016 most of the hostels we stayed at offered camping. It was pretty sweet to have a shared indoor space to hangout in. On occasion we paid extra for a room, but we lucked out with the weather and had very little rain overall. You can also find caravan parks in lots of places. They usually offer a field for tents.

For the most part we used the Wild Atlantic Way as a guide. Although we cut inland sometimes to avoid motor traffic. Like France and Spain, if you keep to the small roads you'll practically have the country to yourself. The riding on those tiny roads was fantastic. The least busy area was north of Galway up to Northern Ireland.

As far as setup goes, make sure to use full coverage fenders and wear bright clothes when it's raining. The roads are often hemmed in with shrubs that block sightlines. Drivers there only go one speed: full gas. But they were patient when overtaking.

Likes For niknak:
Old 12-06-23, 08:10 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Great info! Thank you!
Old 12-06-23, 08:35 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Originally Posted by niknak;[url=tel:23092846
23092846[/url]]When we toured Ireland as part of a larger trip in 2016 most of the hostels we stayed at offered camping. It was pretty sweet to have a shared indoor space to hangout in. On occasion we paid extra for a room, but we lucked out with the weather and had very little rain overall. You can also find caravan parks in lots of places. They usually offer a field for tents.

For the most part we used the Wild Atlantic Way as a guide. Although we cut inland sometimes to avoid motor traffic. Like France and Spain, if you keep to the small roads you'll practically have the country to yourself. The riding on those tiny roads was fantastic. The least busy area was north of Galway up to Northern Ireland.

As far as setup goes, make sure to use full coverage fenders and wear bright clothes when it's raining. The roads are often hemmed in with shrubs that block sightlines. Drivers there only go one speed: full gas. But they were patient when overtaking.

I just showed this to wife as well, awesomeness. Thanks again, this is the kinda info I’m looking for…
Old 12-07-23, 09:53 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I spent 2 weeks or so riding one day in Wales and the rest in Ireland in August, 2022. (detailed journal here). I didn't camp at all, as I prefer sleeping indoors. So, I have no camping info for you. But, in planning your trip, I can recommend looking at the Wild Atlantic Way as a start for your route planning.

The Wild Atlantic Way runs up the west side of Ireland and Northern Ireland. There are several peninsulas that this route runs through and you'll have to decide which, if any, of these peninsulas you want to ride onto. Often there is only one (main) road without a shoulder that goes into these peninsulas. Since these are well-known tourist areas, you have to be careful for tourist buses. That said, I found the Irish drivers courteous when passing. There is a law (and lots of signs) that says cars have to give bikers 1 meter clearance when passing, which seemed the norm. I rode on much of the main road from Bantry to Castlemere on the Beara Peninsula. There was lots of traffic at first, but the further I rode the fewer cars (I was also riding on a Sunday).

Where there are alternative roads, they are generally rolling with short but steep ups. One day, I climbed 3400 feet without ever getting over 400 feet above sea level! After mapping routes in the hills to avoid traffic, I opted for more traffic to avoid hills.

One of the best things about Ireland are the people. Whatever you do, make sure you have ample time to interact with the locals.

Everyday I was there, rain was predicted but didn't always happen.

The time I spent riding around the Beara peninsulas was well worth it. Another highlight was the ride from Kenmare to Killarny, especially the Gap of Dunloe. The area I liked the most was north of Galway, which is a fun town to spend a day or two. I rode from a Warmshower's host a day's ride north of Galway, via Conk past Lough Mask and Loch Na Fooey and on to Leenane (in the rain). While the rain was a bother, the views when it wasn't raining were stunning. The best day was the ride from Leenane to Clifden.
Likes For raybo:
Old 12-07-23, 10:20 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I rode for 2 weeks in Ireland in May 2023 at the start of a 7 week long tour which also included France and Germany.
We camped about 50% of the time Ireland and stayed in Hostels when not camping.
It was nice to have a roof over your head when it was really wet.
We had dry sunny weather for 8 or 9 days.
The weather seemed to move through pretty quickly on rainy days, most of those days included some sun or dry periods.
You can read about it in this thread:
Field Notes from Europe
Likes For northbend:
Old 12-07-23, 10:28 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Originally Posted by northbend;[url=tel:23094062
23094062[/url]]I rode for 2 weeks in Ireland in May 2023 at the start of a 7 week long tour which also included France and Germany.
We camped about 50% of the time Ireland and stayed in Hostels when not camping.
It was nice to have a roof over your head when it was really wet.
We had dry sunny weather for 8 or 9 days.
The weather seemed to move through pretty quickly on rainy days, most of those days included some sun or dry periods.
You can read about it in this thread:
Field Notes from Europe
Oh man that’s some good stuff. Quick roll through the photos was amazing. Thank you.
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 12-07-23, 10:30 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Originally Posted by raybo;[url=tel:23093371
23093371[/url]]I spent 2 weeks or so riding one day in Wales and the rest in Ireland in August, 2022. (detailed journal here). I didn't camp at all, as I prefer sleeping indoors. So, I have no camping info for you. But, in planning your trip, I can recommend looking at the Wild Atlantic Way as a start for your route planning.

The Wild Atlantic Way runs up the west side of Ireland and Northern Ireland. There are several peninsulas that this route runs through and you'll have to decide which, if any, of these peninsulas you want to ride onto. Often there is only one (main) road without a shoulder that goes into these peninsulas. Since these are well-known tourist areas, you have to be careful for tourist buses. That said, I found the Irish drivers courteous when passing. There is a law (and lots of signs) that says cars have to give bikers 1 meter clearance when passing, which seemed the norm. I rode on much of the main road from Bantry to Castlemere on the Beara Peninsula. There was lots of traffic at first, but the further I rode the fewer cars (I was also riding on a Sunday).

Where there are alternative roads, they are generally rolling with short but steep ups. One day, I climbed 3400 feet without ever getting over 400 feet above sea level! After mapping routes in the hills to avoid traffic, I opted for more traffic to avoid hills.

One of the best things about Ireland are the people. Whatever you do, make sure you have ample time to interact with the locals.

Everyday I was there, rain was predicted but didn't always happen.

The time I spent riding around the Beara peninsulas was well worth it. Another highlight was the ride from Kenmare to Killarny, especially the Gap of Dunloe. The area I liked the most was north of Galway, which is a fun town to spend a day or two. I rode from a Warmshower's host a day's ride north of Galway, via Conk past Lough Mask and Loch Na Fooey and on to Leenane (in the rain). While the rain was a bother, the views when it wasn't raining were stunning. The best day was the ride from Leenane to Clifden.
More good stuff! Thanks. The detail on travel times etc very useful.