Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton M Type vs P Type

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 09:55 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I test-rode an M Type today, and satisfied myself that with the telescopic post, the fit will be fine; compromised, but totally useable. It got me wondering; the M type bars come up to the same level as the P type, and they cost the same, so why does anybody buy the M type? Why not have the extra hand positions? It also seems to me that, should I fancy doing the surgery, I could put cross-top levers in the lower positions on the P type too, and make it more flexible.
Old 07-19-10, 10:43 AM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
I test-rode an M Type today, and satisfied myself that with the telescopic post, the fit will be fine; compromised, but totally useable. It got me wondering; the M type bars come up to the same level as the P type, and they cost the same, so why does anybody buy the M type? Why not have the extra hand positions? It also seems to me that, should I fancy doing the surgery, I could put cross-top levers in the lower positions on the P type too, and make it more flexible.
I don't think they cost the same everywhere. I did want a p-type but they're more expensive on all the sites I looked at.
Old 07-19-10, 10:46 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Really? The Brompton price list has all three handlebar types identical. Perhaps the ones that people order in tend to be higher spec with P bars, for some reason. An identical spec should be an identical price with any bars, otherwise the bike shop is creaming off some extra for one or other of those bikes.
Old 07-19-10, 10:59 AM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? The Brompton price list has all three handlebar types identical. Perhaps the ones that people order in tend to be higher spec with P bars, for some reason. An identical spec should be an identical price with any bars, otherwise the bike shop is creaming off some extra for one or other of those bikes.
I dunno...price list says it should be the same, but I think market forces are at work here. Most of the Brompton dealers here in the US stock mostly the M-type, so if someone wants and S- or P-type they have to order new ones from the UK. Dunno if it costs the same for them, or if it is more expensive to order the other two types, but there you go.
Old 07-19-10, 11:12 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, maybe that's it. In the UK, dealers might carry a couple of bikes in configurations they've chosen, but they can order anything at the same price (of course, they might offer you a discount to take one they've been stuck with for ages). Most Brommies on the road, however, are M types, which might be nothing more than people following like sheep. The dealer I went to today, when I phoned to ask about testing a P Type, said "That's something a bit exotic for us". Perhaps Brompton's description of it as "for touring" confuses the dense of skull?
Old 07-19-10, 12:44 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've ridden the M-type and the P-type bars on two different Bromptons. I didn't find the lower position of the P-types useful and I thought they made the bike look goofy. With Ergon grips on my Bike Friday Tikit's flat bar I'm happy up to 25kms [farthest I've ridden in one go] and given my use for a folding bike that's plenty. If I was buying a Brompton I'd get the M-type bars.

I'm just curious why you'd want to spend a significant amount of $$ on a bike you say has a compromised fit? Why not pick a different bike that actually fits you? I've ridden folders that fit well enough to ride a short distance, but didn't really fit me. The experience was underwhelming and I thankfully didn't let myself buy the bike.
Old 07-19-10, 01:20 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ergon grips are made of win. I do have GC-2 grips on my M-type and they are absolutely lovely.
Old 07-19-10, 01:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the stem that is part of the P bar package has a little more bend to it , so a bit more cockpit space .

M bar will let you use a common replacement Grip, I've got Serfas Gel grip and a Velox rubber end plug on mine.

hang the Lock an On Guard armored cable lock on my M bar ,

will admit the P bar is rounded at the top bend, so may have an additional comfortable hand grip.
and if you cut the sleeve you may be able to put a light mount
on the vertical part of the P bar , you have a higher light option than the fork crown,
but you can do similar on the rise part of the M bar too.. get the light above the front bag...
Old 07-19-10, 01:37 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

I'm just curious why you'd want to spend a significant amount of $$ on a bike you say has a compromised fit? Why not pick a different bike that actually fits you? I've ridden folders that fit well enough to ride a short distance, but didn't really fit me. The experience was underwhelming and I thankfully didn't let myself buy the bike.

Well, I suppose it depends what you mean by "compromised". I this case, I mean I can't get the position I most like, quite stretched out and low, rather than there being a problem. It felt like I'd be able to do 30-40 miles, no problem. To be honest, the cockpit space is not far off what I got on my Downtubes before I put the drop bars on one, which gets me close to what I like best. I need a bike that folds really small, that I can carry into restaurants, easily put in luggage racks on trains, carry down hotel corridors without dinging the paintwork, and tuck into the corner of a small office when I'm coaching, without problems. If one existed that did all this and met my preferences for riding position (and could be had for under £1000, for Cyclescheme purposes), then I would jump on it. Basically, the only one that really exists is the Brommie, and so as long as it was going to be comfortably rideable for the 20 miles a day that's the likely max I'll do for work purposes (I'm a consultant, working all over the country, often away for several days at a time), it was always going to win. I don't think I'll prefer it to my Downtube as a rider, but the other advantages will win out.

Also, though the RRP of the bike is £1000 (nearly), I'll get it for about £600 due to the various tax reliefs, and I'll be able to pay for it, interest free, over 12 months. Would I lay £1000 for this bike in cash? Probably not. £50 a month for a year? Definitely!
Old 07-19-10, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I've seen a Modolo Dumbo trekking bar set up in place of a P bar. [its on Flicker somewhere, Brompton/folding bike thread]
its a very adjustable handlebar but the clamps for all those adjustments does weigh something..
Old 07-19-10, 01:57 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, those look like they would be a lot of work to fit! I'm going to try to be happy with the P bar, to begin with. If I discover I want to use the lower section a lot, I might put some cross levers on there (I take some big hills in traffic. I like to have brakes to hand)
Old 07-19-10, 06:13 PM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually the p-type's bars are 1033mm high from ground and on lower part are 880mm.
The m-type are 1015mm
The s-type are 935mm plus the s-type's reach is a additional 50mm over the other two.
I found the m and p-types to be a bit flexy feeling and not enough reach. The s-type is a bit more direct feeling with the short little bars,it really does feel considerably different. And if you move the m/p bars forward you interfere with the fold.
With my seat post all the way up measuring from center of post to center of bars i have 27 inchs/68.5cm.

VIC If im ever out your way or your around here i would be glad to let you try mine,it is different than what youve tried in Brompton's. Im a old guy and I often do ride far more than 25klm in one ride.

Last edited by ddez; 07-19-10 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

maybe a reverse brake lever at the top, into the P bar's ends, tape housing running under the tape,
replacing long sleeve grips,
down to a cross /housing interruptor lever on the bottom.
Old 07-20-10, 01:12 PM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
maybe a reverse brake lever at the top, into the P bar's ends, tape housing running under the tape,
replacing long sleeve grips,
down to a cross /housing interruptor lever on the bottom.
+1 thats a great idea. Would look good too.
Old 07-21-10, 03:30 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I like this. I could wrap with Velo Orange Elkhide, too. I'll buy it, and ride it like it is for a while before I make that decision, but it's a great idea. It's gonna be all black, and I can't help thinking that with a Brook B17 Special (copper rivets mmmmm), and this arrangement with the Velo Orange wrap, it would be amazing.