Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Answer a Moral Dilemma: To Render Aid or Not

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Answer a Moral Dilemma: To Render Aid or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
same here. I escaped an armed car-jacking once. early one morning but day light. near the 1970s Rindge Towers affordable housing development Cambridge, Massachusetts near Alewife Station. I stopped at the traffic light, at the end of Route 2, in the right lane. a car pulls up alongside me (in the left lane) but not at the line, about 10feet back from where normal ppl would stop. had the window open w/ an elbow resting on the door. curious I look back & see a young man, getting out of the passenger door w/ 1 hand hidden behind his back. I see more kids in the back seat (w/ petrified faces. they looked really scared). the kid w/ his hand behind his back is caught off guard by my seeing him & he asks if I know the time. I said no & took off thru the light. left them in my dust & they didn't chase. in hindsight I should have reported it to the local police, just so they would know

Back in the 1980s, a teenage kid tried to "bikejack" me by crouching down and putting a stick in my spokes from the curb. I couldn't even figure out why he thought it would work, since anyone with their eyes open is going to swerve to the left if you see anyone on the curb. He succeeded in cracking me up, but not in the way he meant to. I think I laughed for about 5 minutes, it was such a ridiculous attempt.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-01-22, 02:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Back in the 1980s, a teenage kid tried to "bikejack" me by crouching down and putting a stick in my spokes from the curb. I couldn't even figure out why he thought it would work, since anyone with their eyes open is going to swerve to the left if you see anyone on the curb. He succeeded in cracking me up, but not in the way he meant to. I think I laughed for about 5 minutes, it was such a ridiculous attempt.
that kid clearly never met the bush man at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco. that guy scared me good & I had seen him spook other ppl. of course I gave him a dollar. had an encounter on a long lonely bike path (CCRT) about 8 miles from the end, at dusk. a group of teens were huddled at the edge of the path. reading their body language & as it changed when they saw me approaching, including suspicious facial expressions, not quite smiles, but suspicious, I tucked & sped up as fast as I could, not aiming at them but not shying away from them. If they wanted contact they would get it. their body language changed & I passed w/ no incident. dumb kids had no idea my bike was a POS & not worth thousands

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-01-22 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-01-22, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
I am not the one that YOU should be afraid of meeting on a lonely bike path
Who said you were? I'm actually not terribly afraid of meeting anyone on a lonely bike path as my evasion skills are pretty damn good.

Pretty sure no one said anything like "better safe than sorry is wrong" and "always take candy from strangers", and I have to question the paranoia level of anyone who would equate those statements with "help people if you can". Like that's such a crazy concept.
Old 03-01-22, 02:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think at the end of the day, we make the determination whether or not to offer help based on too many factors to generalize. I once gave water and food to three guys walking north in a remote part of far-southern Arizona. I've been told that doing so was dangerous and possibly illegal, but we all calibrate our moral compasses differently.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-01-22, 03:04 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
On a training ride today, I either bonked or overheated. I decided to sit on the side of the road. A kind lady comes out of her house with a bottle of water and asked if I was diabetic or if I needed medical care. I was thirsty.

Good thing I had my portable HPLC with me.

Hit the spot.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-01-22, 03:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
I think at the end of the day, we make the determination whether or not to offer help based on too many factors to generalize. I once gave water and food to three guys walking north in a remote part of far-southern Arizona. I've been told that doing so was dangerous and possibly illegal, but we all calibrate our moral compasses differently.

The water is quite possibly life-or-death aid, so yes, screw the legalities and some risks to our safety are worth taking.
Old 03-01-22, 03:39 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Who said you were? I'm actually not terribly afraid of meeting anyone on a lonely bike path as my evasion skills are pretty damn good.

Pretty sure no one said anything like "better safe than sorry is wrong" and "always take candy from strangers", and I have to question the paranoia level of anyone who would equate those statements with "help people if you can". Like that's such a crazy concept.
hey, you are the one advocating locking people in bomb shelters when you don't agree with them
and I am the crazy one ???
Old 03-01-22, 03:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

hey, you are the one advocating locking people in bomb shelters when you don't agree with them
and I am the crazy one ???
Wooooshhhhh!

Let me explain this to you--I'm not proposing to lock you in, I'm suggesting you're so fearful that you might want to lock people out of your bomb shelter while you work out.
You obviously think this world is too dangerous to ride about in.

Get it now?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-01-22, 04:05 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Wooooshhhhh!

Let me explain this to you--I'm not proposing to lock you in, I'm suggesting you're so fearful that you might want to lock people out of your bomb shelter while you work out.
You obviously think this world is too dangerous to ride about in.

Get it now?
caution and fear are NOT the same thing
I should not have to explain this to you
Old 03-01-22, 04:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
The internet is getting weirder by the day.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-01-22, 06:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
when giving someone water is illegal, you know the evil that is in charge
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-01-22, 06:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when giving someone water is illegal, you know the evil that is in charge
or the paranoids. However in Russia, I would decline.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-01-22, 06:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
On a training ride today, I either bonked or overheated. I decided to sit on the side of the road. A kind lady comes out of her house with a bottle of water and asked if I was diabetic or if I needed medical care. I was thirsty.

Good thing I had my portable HPLC with me.

Hit the spot.
Something similar here. Was on the side of the road gasping for air after going for a personal best on a hard climb. I must have looked pretty bad because a woman pulled over her car and asked if I needed help. She was shocked to hear me say No thank you, actually I do this for fun. Must of thought I was demented. But then, she is probably right.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-01-22 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-01-22, 08:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

that's a nice story
but I would never eat potentially poisoned food from strangers
caution and fear are NOT the same thing
I should not have to explain this to you

Uhh, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of where the line between rational caution and irrational fear is than you. Hate to break it to you but any food you buy in a grocery is potentially poisoned food from strangers.
Old 03-01-22, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Uhh, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of where the line between rational caution and irrational fear is than you. Hate to break it to you but any food you buy in a grocery is potentially poisoned food from strangers.
Am sure you are being quite literal rather than alluding to all the processed, carcinogenic, antibiotic laced and additive laced crap sold by the big industrial producers. And can you pass me a Dorito, please?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-01-22, 10:51 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
I always make it point to stop and offer help, some say no, but I have had to try to help push a car in my cleats, life varies, my wife doesn't stop for anyone but gets mad when she doesn't get stopped for either, we create our own world
Likes For c0urt:
Old 03-01-22, 10:58 PM
PBC peugeot

paranoid much?
Old 03-02-22, 12:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...if I disappear from the forum, I think my wife has been slowly poisoning me with arsenic. I can't really blame her, because I'm hard to live with.
Old 03-02-22, 12:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The internet is getting weirder by the day.
...sometimes I think this, too. Then I think, "No, it's probably just me." I go back and forth like that.
Old 03-02-22, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

paranoid much?

Woosh yet again. No, you are. You claimed you never take potentially poisoned food from strangers.

I'm making fun of your logic by pointing out that literally all food you eat is handled by strangers at some point unless you're growing and raising it yourself, and any food is "potentially poisoned."

Do you never eat out? Do you only buy from restaurants owned and staffed by people you know?

Which one of us made fun of other people for not worrying about being poisoned? Who claimed people were advocating "taking candy from strangers?" Do you actually know of ANY incident where a camper poisoned a stranger with food or a meal?

The actual stranger poisonings that have occurred have happened in stores and restaurants. Those grocery incidents are rare enough that I literally don't think about the possibility at all. I personally know women who have had strangers spike their drinks at bars, but since I don't drink, I don't personally believe this is a threat to me. I also wouldn't think it was paranoid if someone was very careful about not leaving their drinks unattended in a crowded bar.

And btw, not taking candy from a stranger is a warning given to children to avoid stranger abduction. Were you suggesting there's someone kidnapping cyclists by luring them with food?
Old 03-02-22, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
Am sure you are being quite literal rather than alluding to all the processed, carcinogenic, antibiotic laced and additive laced crap sold by the big industrial producers. And can you pass me a Dorito, please?

Yes, I'm quite literally referring to the "stranger danger" poisoning spectre the other guy raised. You want an argument about the food industry, this is probably the wrong forum and definitely the wrong thread.

And Doritos are gross, I don't eat them. You can have mine.

BTW, the last time I rendered aid to a cyclist, the main thing I did was give him a Kind bar because he may have been bonking and that was the only food I happened to be carrying. I assure you I was not trying to "poison" him with any ingredients you didn't approve.

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-02-22 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 10:48 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I wonder what the response would have been if you had offered him a Kirkland Nut Bar.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-02-22, 11:33 AM
PBC peugeot

Woosh yet again. No, you are. You claimed you never take potentially poisoned food from strangers.

I'm making fun of your logic by pointing out that literally all food you eat is handled by strangers at some point unless you're growing and raising it yourself, and any food is "potentially poisoned."

Do you never eat out? Do you only buy from restaurants owned and staffed by people you know?

Which one of us made fun of other people for not worrying about being poisoned? Who claimed people were advocating "taking candy from strangers?" Do you actually know of ANY incident where a camper poisoned a stranger with food or a meal?

The actual stranger poisonings that have occurred have happened in stores and restaurants. Those grocery incidents are rare enough that I literally don't think about the possibility at all. I personally know women who have had strangers spike their drinks at bars, but since I don't drink, I don't personally believe this is a threat to me. I also wouldn't think it was paranoid if someone was very careful about not leaving their drinks unattended in a crowded bar.

And btw, not taking candy from a stranger is a warning given to children to avoid stranger abduction. Were you suggesting there's someone kidnapping cyclists by luring them with food?
its like talking with all Dorothey's companions
say hi to toto for me, and I hope you find the emerald city
Old 03-02-22, 11:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m pretty certain that after Dorothy came to her senses and looked around, she probably thought, “This place really blows compared to the emerald city.”

Be careful what you wish for.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-02-22, 11:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I wonder what the response would have been if you had offered him a Kirkland Nut Bar.

John

"Give me a name brand or give me disorientation!"

He was a really nice old man and I was the first of about 6 people who gathered together to help him. He was sitting very awkwardly in the middle of the path in front of a bollard with his bike sitting (also awkwardly) next to him, but he denied crashing. Just said that he had gotten dizzy all of a sudden, leaned up against the bollard, and just needed to sit down to recover for a bit. It was odd enough that we decided to stay with him to make sure he really was ok. I offered him the bar because he mentioned something about blood sugar. After about 5 minutes, he took up another person's offer to ride home with him to make sure he got back ok. While he was recovering, we spent a few minutes talking about his bespoke 1990s Litespeed that he claimed had been delivered to him by the president of the company. It was a really nice bike, so I decided his story probably checked out and it was perhaps the most enjoyable conversation I've had assessing someone's level of orientation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.