Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Annual Pissing Contest - Mileage for 2023

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Annual Pissing Contest - Mileage for 2023

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 10:19 AM
2Mins2Midnight

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic Evo, and Carve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Just curious why so many people don't consider trainer mileage? I understand the arguments regarding cycling "tradition" and that trainer miles can be really inflated compared to outdoor depending on your setup/recording practices, but pedaling is pedaling! I spend a lot of time on Zwift year-round simply because it's convenient with my work/life schedule. Excluding those miles would be really underselling the hours of sweat I put in!
Likes For 2Mins2Midnight:
Old 01-01-24, 11:10 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Mins2Midnight
Just curious why so many people don't consider trainer mileage? I understand the arguments regarding cycling "tradition" and that trainer miles can be really inflated compared to outdoor depending on your setup/recording practices, but pedaling is pedaling! I spend a lot of time on Zwift year-round simply because it's convenient with my work/life schedule. Excluding those miles would be really underselling the hours of sweat I put in!
Be careful what you ask?

Some consider trainer miles more difficult. Some ‘purists’ consider outdoor miles more valid because of outdoor environmental factors.

I care less what others think are valid and lump all of mine together. The only bummer about hill or mountain climbing on a trainer is that it doesn’t readily (at least in my case) make me a better climber IRL. If it works for some people, what is your secret? (I just try to hammer the hills, but…)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-01-24, 11:54 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
2023 was a great year, until it wasn't. i was on track for around 6500 miles before a few ill-fated rides in september and october. i've gotten back on a bike, but it is sadly not the same. hopefully at some point i'll be able to look back on the march '21 to sep '23 period with fond memories rather than loss, but not so much quite yet.

total for the year was 5,293 miles and 285,000 feet, of which the last 280 or so miles were on an ebike with just a little bit of assist.

the point where the steady green line (total miles since 1/1/2021) inflects is where everything went sideways.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-01-24, 01:14 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts

If one is actually doing workouts and or riding alone, I find the trainer is noticeably harder when riding alone than outside. The issue I think is when people just get with a pace partner and get pulled around for hours and hours. Average speed is wicked high, so they are racking up miles in a short amount of time, something they would not be able to achieve outside and alone.

At this point in my life, I don’t care. I try and ride outside as much as possible, but with my limited availability sometimes trainer is the only option or I don’t ride.

Makes me think of this segment on strava I came across. The KOM was some guy from like 3 years ago. It was blatantly obvious that he forgot to turn his computer off and drove home. Reached speeds of 65 MPH. I flagged it, nothing happened. My friend flagged it, nothing happened. I finally asked him to delete his ride. His response. “No, who cares, it’s from three years ago”

Ride your bike for you, not anyone else.
Old 01-02-24, 02:17 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

Makes me think of this segment on strava I came across. The KOM was some guy from like 3 years ago. It was blatantly obvious that he forgot to turn his computer off and drove home. Reached speeds of 65 MPH. I flagged it, nothing happened. My friend flagged it, nothing happened. I finally asked him to delete his ride. His response. “No, who cares, it’s from three years ago”.
I kind of ignore KOMs these days (there are way too many elite level riders around here) but this kind of pig ignorant response makes me fear for the future of humanity.

I assume a bunch of people have publically dissed him in the comments?

having said that, flagging rides has always worked for me.
Old 01-02-24, 02:26 AM
choddo

I usually work twice as hard on the trainer for maybe 30-35% higher average speed so I count them. I would guess maybe 10% of my total are zwift or indievelo.
Old 01-02-24, 07:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I kind of ignore KOMs these days (there are way too many elite level riders around here) but this kind of pig ignorant response makes me fear for the future of humanity.

I assume a bunch of people have publically dissed him in the comments?

having said that, flagging rides has always worked for me.
That's odd. A 65MPH flag won't automatically delete the KOM? It's most likely because it has already been flagged and the guy found a way to circumvent it. 100% of my flags so far deleted the KOM when I chose the ''done in a vehicle'' option.

It's also funny that he would have said ''who cares?''. He clearly cares about having a fake KOM under his belt. Stupid people everywhere.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-02-24, 07:30 AM
eduskator

Stats for 2023:

Real: 6500kms (4050mi)
Virtual: 1400kms (870mi)
Total elevation: 98 500m (323 100ft)

Goal for 2024: 10 000km (6200mi), including virtual bike.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-02-24, 08:01 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
total cycling mileage for 2023 was 2222, 99,176'. I'll take it. My goal was 2023 miles. If I had not had six weeks off the bike due to a concussion, I'd have had another 300 miles.

my goal for this year is 2024 miles. And to stay out of hospitals.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-02-24, 08:08 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
363 hours, 45 minutes

6155 miles- 400 short of goal but summer really sucked from a motivation perspective, so I will take it

I don’t separate real from fake.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-02-24, 08:56 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Just curious why so many people don't consider trainer mileage? I understand the arguments regarding cycling "tradition" and that trainer miles can be really inflated compared to outdoor depending on your setup/recording practices, but pedaling is pedaling!
It's a semantic issue, not a cycling-specific issue:

Yes "pedaling is pedaling" but pedaling-in-one-place versus pedaling-to-propel-your-bike-over-some-distance are very different concepts, and the word "mileage" is very specifically a reference to distance.

Trainers don't cover any distance; they sit in one spot, immobile. Ergo the time spent on trainers can't legitimately be considered "Miles" ...they can however be counted as Hours, or Revolutions Of The Pedals/Wheels, or Work Performed, or any number of other metrics that are indeed involved when one sits on a trainer. But it's disingenuous to refer to that time/revolutions/work as covering any sort of distance.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 01-02-24, 09:23 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
1300 miles. 95% of it was gravel/dirt. It was my first year riding since I was a kid, and then I only rode for fun. It's been a lot tougher on my knees than I thought it would be, otherwise I could have done more.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 01-02-24, 10:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
IErgo the time spent on trainers can't legitimately be considered "Miles"
Only in ergo mode.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-02-24, 10:21 AM
2Mins2Midnight

I hadn't thought about it in such terms, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!
Likes For 2Mins2Midnight:
Old 01-02-24, 11:22 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
To those of you who can crack 2,000 miles while living in the Northeast and being employed - kudos. I barely cracked 1k miles living in NYC, and moving upstate during Covid couldn't get me to past the 2k miles mark (1,818 miles in 2022). A combination of the weather staying cool/cold until well into April and it getting cold again by October...

But moved out to Northern CA this year, while still working east coast hours - warm-enough weather (even into Dec!), and a schedule that lets me hop onto a saddle by 3pm...

3,001.1 mi
129,554 ft
211 hrs, 50 mins

All but ~400 mi of that since the beginning of July.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 01-03-24, 09:09 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
In 2023 I rode 8,881 miles, 335,406 ft of ascent.

I went on bike tour so it's a bit cheating from a time off work perspective. I'd never manage this much in a typical year living in NYC.

Last edited by Yan; 01-03-24 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 01-04-24, 12:18 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
For me it's pretty simple: they are not miles. No miles were traversed. No distance covered. No places visited.

I have a smart trainer. It's a great workout, impervious to weather, and safe. Short of an irl race, it provides the best workout I can get on a bike.

Trainer time is all about the fitness result. Road miles are an outdoor experience. The purpose of trainer time is to make road miles better.

That's me. You be you.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-04-24, 08:27 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
What was the 351? Special event or just for fun?
Just a solo long ride, like my other big rides of the year.
Old 01-04-24, 08:33 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by downtube42
For me it's pretty simple: they are not miles. No miles were traversed. No distance covered. No places visited.

I have a smart trainer. It's a great workout, impervious to weather, and safe. Short of an irl race, it provides the best workout I can get on a bike.

Trainer time is all about the fitness result. Road miles are an outdoor experience. The purpose of trainer time is to make road miles better.

That's me. You be you.
+1. That's why I separate my real mileage from my virtual mileage. Fortunately, Strava allows that.

It took me a while to understand why some of my friends had 5000kms more than me at the end of each season. I didn't Zwift at all during winters until last year.
Old 01-04-24, 09:14 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by The Chemist
Just a solo long ride, like my other big rides of the year.
That is pretty wild 👏
Old 01-04-24, 05:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
why would you consider it mileage? no miles were traveled lol. of course, calories were burned, revolutions of the pedals made!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-04-24, 10:41 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
1400 miles. First time in my life I counted them. One metric century.

I’ve got plans for 2024.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 01-05-24, 09:38 AM
2Mins2Midnight

Originally Posted by mschwett
why would you consider it mileage? no miles were traveled lol. of course, calories were burned, revolutions of the pedals made!
As others have said, it's a semantics issue. In my head I was seeing it as distance traveled, even if it's virtual. But by the dictionary definition of mileage, you're right - trainer "miles" wouldn't count. I see now why people distinguish between the two when giving their stats. I'll always include my trainer "miles" because I would probably be saddened by my numbers otherwise haha
Old 01-10-24, 09:15 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
4500 miles, 224,652 ft climbed.

My goal was 5000 miles, but I wimped out when the weather turned colder. Not gonna ride today either.

(real miles, not Zwift miles. Because I really didn't go anywhere, just a few feet from my TV. But since ALL motion is relative...well, never mind, too much free time in the winter.)
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-10-24, 10:10 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Finished the year on 8005 miles, all real outside bike milea. Just sneaked past 8k target, which considering UK weather this year was more rubbish than usual, I'm pretty happy with.

The last few months were.especially moist. Went to see family in Wales over Christmas, which is wetter than average for the UK, was there for 11 days and it hammered it down with rain all day for 10 of those days. Looking forward to spring already.
Likes For botty kayer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.