Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Finding Motivation

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Finding Motivation

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 12:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Finding Motivation

Here is an article from the New York Times (behind a paywall but may be visible even to non subscribers) https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/w...r-trainer.html. Some may enjoy this article.

" Accountability is the key to a sustainable workout habit...When you need an extra nudge, tie your exercise routine to someone or something."

And

"Find a buddy who's more committed than you are..."

My entire athletic life for 6 decades has centered around that idea. For me, sometimes it is a buddy, team, group, coach or whatever. And I like to train with people who are better than me.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-24-24, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I rode more back when my son had more time to ride. When he'd call and ask if I wanted to ride, I couldn't refuse. Likewise if I ask him he couldn't or wouldn't refuse. Since he's gotten busier with work, he now has little time to ride. So now I can make little excuses to not ride. Too cold, too dreary looking, might rain and etc. I find that my riding miles are suffering badly.

So I'll agree with you.
Old 03-24-24, 06:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
When I was an age group runner, I had a young child, an international academic career, clinical responsibilities, and a training buddy who got me out on the road or the track at 5 am on weekdays. I didn’t even like the guy that much, but it worked.
Old 03-24-24, 10:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Interestingly, Strava can be a motivation aid. Showing your community of Strava followers that you got out and did your ride, that you are putting in the miles (or putting out the watts, or....) may not be the most enlightened motivation, but yet, it influences people to do more and more regularly.

Doesn't work for everybody
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-25-24, 04:38 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Here is an article from the New York Times (behind a paywall but may be visible even to non subscribers) https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/w...r-trainer.html. Some may enjoy this article.

" Accountability is the key to a sustainable workout habit...When you need an extra nudge, tie your exercise routine to someone or something."

And

"Find a buddy who's more committed than you are..."

My entire athletic life for 6 decades has centered around that idea. For me, sometimes it is a buddy, team, group, coach or whatever. And I like to train with people who are better than me.
I wasn't able to access the article due to the paywall, but based on the two quotes referenced in the original post I came away with mixed feelings about the advice given.

On the positive side, I totally agree that coaches and/or local teams / clubs can be great resources to increase motivation and advance your training. When you hire a coach, join a team or a local club, there is a pretty clear understanding of accountability and who sets the rules. When you train with a buddy things get muddy. Rules, roles, and responsibilities are less clear. And when rules, roles, and responsibilities get blurred, feathers can (and do) get ruffled. My advice is to do your more committed buddies a favor by finding other ways to increase your motivation and advance your training.
Old 03-31-24, 08:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I don't rely on others for accountability in all the various corners of my life. In cycling, I ride instrumented, power and HR or just HR. I post every ride, walk, workout, hike, ski, etc., etc., on TrainingPeaks. It gives me a training stress score and keeps track of my accumulated training stress. I get a number. I try to keep that number increasing from October to August when I back off and let that number drop way off. During my long training period, if that number doesn't keep slowly going up, I'm not happy. I like to be happy, so I mostly stay with the program.

If you want riding partners who will make it more fun, you simply lead the ride. If they don't like your choices, find partners who will. I've found that most folks would rather shuck off responsibility onto someone else, so riding partners are not really that hard to find. You just have to be the responsible one and communicate with them, not that difficult. Having riding buddies who depend on you rather stiffens your spine.

To put it a little differently, I instrument myself in order to create a mechanism for accountability. If I weren't actually training, but just riding around, I wouldn't bother with the instruments. Many people prefer that, but I find that I stay healthier if I am accountable to myself and have a mechanism for that.

My wife and I both go to the gym and workout together, mostly twice a week for about an hour. There the accountability comes from our method: we lift to exhaustion, i.e. we know we couldn't do another rep. We keep those numbers increasing. Gym twice a week, they'll increase. Once a week and they'll just stay about the same, which is fine during the riding high season. It also helps that the gym is full of people just like us, so the positive atmosphere is helpful.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 03-31-24 at 08:48 AM.
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 04-26-24, 03:01 PM
kinnessa60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Great article! I completely agree that accountability is key for building sustainable workout habits. It's so easy to make excuses to ourselves, but when we have someone else depending on us, it motivates us to show up even when we'd rather skip a workout.I've found that finding the right workout buddy is key. Some people thrive on competition, others prefer a more supportive friend. It's worth trying out a few different options to see what works best for you.
Likes For kinnessa60:
Old 04-26-24, 04:11 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Go to Walmart and see all the overweight people with canes/walkers/e-scooters and that's plenty of motivation for me.

Also, when I see other people my age (hitting the big Six-0 this year) and how much less mobile they are than me, that's icing on the motivation cake