Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Miami-Dade transit bus collides with cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 04:42 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

From what I understand the cyclist is okay, thank goodness.
I couldn't see what the cyclist was doing to warrant the horn honking, except that he was just in her way. He did run a couple of red lights, but she's still at fault for passing him too closely.
"He did that on purpose." ??? She sounded like she was trying to justify her own wrong behavior.
I wasn't actually there, only forming an opinion based on the video, so if anyone knows more about it, they can clarify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AM3u7Cr9I
Old 05-23-10, 04:48 PM
WPeabody 

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
News story that gives more info, Apparently the rider did have his foot run over and was laid up for 5 weeks. The bus driver wasn't even suspended.
https://www.justnews.com/news/2362077...mment-51322580
Old 05-23-10, 05:01 PM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's dumb. If she had hit a car that was in the other lane, or a pedestrian waiting at the edge of the crosswalk, she'd have been suspended. Cyclist on the shoulder though? Oh, it's ok, bus along. Sometimes I feel like the law regards us a subhuman, or that it's our own fault when bad things happen to us, even though most of the time, that's clearly not the case.
Old 05-23-10, 05:09 PM
WPeabody 

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What would one call a prejudice against people who are using a certain kind of mode of transportation? Vehiclism?
Old 05-23-10, 10:09 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The cyclist was not on the shoulder, he stayed just inside the lane. He got squeezed when he went by the curb bulging out and the bus tried to pass him in the same lane. He should have taken the right lane and stayed there. From the video, the bus wouldn't have lost any time. He was keeping just ahead of it anyway.
Old 05-23-10, 10:37 PM
WPeabody 

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Might have been why she was annoyed in the first place, because the cyclist was in front of her when she honked the horn. Going by past experiences similar to this, I'm assuming she probably would have tailgated him and kept honking her horn.
If that sort of thing happens to me, at that point I likely would have just pulled over to let her by, like I would if I were in a car and somebody behind me was clearly demonstrating unreasonable aggression. I've had whackos actually rear-end my car *on purpose* when I didn't get out of their way quickly enough, or drive alongside and nearly into me so that I bailed into a ditch. On a bike, that would have been a bad situation... and at that point I'm not about to insist on my rights to the road, because the aggressor is bent on running everybody over.
Old 05-23-10, 11:03 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WPeabody
What would one call a prejudice against people who are using a certain kind of mode of transportation? Vehiclism?
Well,vehiclism isn't illegal since cycling isn't a protected class. However, since religion is a protected class, I am considering forming a new religion based on living environmentally. The only thing really stopping me is my loathing of paperwork and IRS regs. If someone does it, let me know so I can join.
Old 05-24-10, 06:22 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
motorIST
. . /L
=()>()
Old 05-24-10, 06:33 AM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. What a shame. That bus driver has no conscience, I'm surprised that she even stopped. I'm glad that that the rider was relatively Ok.
Old 05-24-10, 06:36 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Might have been why she was annoyed in the first place, because the cyclist was in front of her when she honked the horn. Going by past experiences similar to this, I'm assuming she probably would have tailgated him and kept honking her horn.
If that sort of thing happens to me, at that point I likely would have just pulled over to let her by, like I would if I were in a car and somebody behind me was clearly demonstrating unreasonable aggression. I've had whackos actually rear-end my car *on purpose* when I didn't get out of their way quickly enough, or drive alongside and nearly into me so that I bailed into a ditch. On a bike, that would have been a bad situation... and at that point I'm not about to insist on my rights to the road, because the aggressor is bent on running everybody over.

I don't know what the buses are like in Miami-Dade area, but around here if I had let the bus go by, I probably would just catch up with it again before too long. Leapfrogging buses with their frequent stops is extremely annoying (and potentially dangerous), so I just try to be faster than them if I can. It usually works out. When the cyclist went through the light I was thinking that I probably would have done the same thing, trying to get a head start toward leaving the bus behind for good.
Old 05-24-10, 09:08 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The cyclist was not on the shoulder, he stayed just inside the lane. He got squeezed when he went by the curb bulging out and the bus tried to pass him in the same lane. He should have taken the right lane and stayed there. From the video, the bus wouldn't have lost any time. He was keeping just ahead of it anyway.
Yep. I ride Biscayne Boulevard frequently and theres 3 or more lanes most of the way. Lanes are very narrow so I always take the right lane. And traffic is usually fairly slow, so I'm barely being passed most of the time.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-24-10, 10:34 AM
ScotteeD
Car Free

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 , KHS fully rigid SS, SE Draft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I don't know what the buses are like in Miami-Dade area, but around here if I had let the bus go by, I probably would just catch up with it again before too long. Leapfrogging buses with their frequent stops is extremely annoying (and potentially dangerous), so I just try to be faster than them if I can. It usually works out. When the cyclist went through the light I was thinking that I probably would have done the same thing, trying to get a head start toward leaving the bus behind for good.
That was my thoughts exactly.

Had he slowed down and let the bus pass, it would have most likely turned into a cat and mouse game.

She sure was quick to put the blame on him as soon as the contact occured, and wanted to hold everybody hostage on her bus as witnesses.
Old 05-24-10, 03:02 PM
Arschgaudi
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclist really put himself in a bad position. Scuttling along the curb like that is an open invitation to a squeeze by. If this was tthe way he regularly rode, than he was an accident waiting to happen. Lane position and bailout plans.
Old 05-24-10, 03:11 PM
WPeabody 

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
Agreed with that in general.

I was thinking of that one particular vehicle with the irritable driver in it, then again it's difficult to know who is seriously ticked off at you until they openly demonstrate aggression against you, and you are fortunate enough to not be hit the first time, so you can react appropriately.

Apparently onboard cameras won't keep a driver from doing something stupid...
Old 05-24-10, 03:44 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently onboard cameras won't keep a driver from doing something stupid...
+1
. . /L
=()>()
Old 05-24-10, 04:28 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
And this is reason #1 why I hate those stupid curb extensions...
Old 05-24-10, 06:43 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The driver was one of those individuals who believe -- with all their heart -- that their own logic and values, however bankrupt, trump the law of the land. Nothing THEY do is wrong, even if they get arrested for it, it's all someone else's fault. Opportunistic 'victims'? Yup.
Old 05-24-10, 06:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
And this is reason #1 why I hate those stupid curb extensions...
I hate those things even more when I am a pedestrian. As far as I know, a pedestrian does not establish a right-of-way until stepping off of the curb. When the first step puts you in the flow of traffic, it is rather difficult to utilize one's right-of-way without being dead right.
Old 05-26-10, 02:32 PM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The cyclist was asking for it riding so far to the right. I always take the lane and that road is perfect for doing it since there are three lanes in each direction.
Old 05-26-10, 02:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
The cyclist was asking for it riding so far to the right. I always take the lane and that road is perfect for doing it since there are three lanes in each direction.
That's right, blame the victim, why don't you?

-Kurt

Old 05-26-10, 02:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
P.S.: How about telling these people at Miami-Dade Transit how you feel about letting this driver get off scott-free:

https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/contact_more.asp

-Kurt

Old 05-26-10, 08:11 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Today I reported a left-hooking bus driver who ran me off a block or two before entering the bus depot where the complaint department was. Following him into the depot, I stepped on the bus and he refused to give me his name, only pointing at the bus number.

I hate to think I'm taking someone's livelihood, but I hope they throw the book at him. The guy at the counter was nice and he and another worker seemed glad that I had all the info-- bus number, etc.
Old 05-27-10, 04:02 PM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would consider myself very conservative in most cases in just using the video as the sole deciding factor . The real deciding factor here is the video shows the driver had clear view for an extremely long time. The compassion and comments by her seem to back up that fact. Bottom line is the bus driver appears to have "dusted" the rider. Dusting is a term often used by law enforcement when a vehicle comes extremely close to an officer for various reasons on a traffic stop usually on purpose. Maybe Miami should start looking for a replacement and just sign the check.
Old 05-27-10, 04:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
I mostly ride in the center of my lane to avoid being hit, and I always cringe when I see cyclists hugging the edge, especially when this puts them in the door zone. That said, the cyclist wasn't "asking for" anything, and it was clearly the fault of the bus driver, who should and could have avoided the crash.
Old 05-28-10, 06:24 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A professional driver on the road near 8 hours a day and then to claim they did not see that coming??? Come on now. The driver was trying to bully the cyclist, playing a version of the game of chicken. Seriously is this the kind of driver we want on the streets paid with local tax dollars?

Not to say I would not like to see other things happen but this driver should at least loose their commercial drivers license.
. . /L
=()>()

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.