Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 5600 hubs refurbishing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 05:29 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

I bought a pair of 105 5600 hubs cheap. Now I see why.

The cones are pitted.

It isn't readily apparent how to find replacement cones. It also appears that the replacements that can be found are prohibitively expensive.

Can a generic part from another company be used to replace?

It also appears that it may be that with good greasing I can make it somewhat acceptable.

Thanks guys.
Likes For adlai:
Old 05-14-20, 05:55 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd take the axle and a cone to a bike shop (once they're open for walk in service) and have them see if they have a cone that matches. What are the hub cups like?

Cheers
Old 05-14-20, 06:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
I bought a new hub on ebay when I needed cones for a 6700 hub.

https://wheelsmfg.com/hub-parts#front_road

Try searching by part #'s too.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-HB-5600-2457B.pdf
Old 05-14-20, 08:53 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Although I rate this as a desperate measure, you can attempt to grind the cones by spinning them using an electric drill and some sandpaper wrapped around a round object like a pencil or appropriate sized drill-bit. See here:

https://bicycleobsession.wordpress.c...ted-hub-cones/
Old 05-15-20, 06:51 AM
adlai

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
Although I rate this as a desperate measure, you can attempt to grind the cones by spinning them using an electric drill and some sandpaper wrapped around a round object like a pencil or appropriate sized drill-bit. See here:

https://bicycleobsession.wordpress.c...ted-hub-cones/
That is interesting.

Only thing is--you are still using the same diameter ball bearings. So the surface is smooth but it may be too large now?
Old 05-15-20, 09:05 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Do a google search for the terms "repair pitted bicycle cones" and read the many posts about this process, including those that say this is a terrible idea. But in answer to your question - no, the cone's bearing surface radius should remain the same so the same ball size is retained.
Old 05-15-20, 10:23 AM
adlai

Do a google search for the terms "repair pitted bicycle cones" and read the many posts about this process, including those that say this is a terrible idea. But in answer to your question - no, the cone's bearing surface radius should remain the same so the same ball size is retained.
What I mean is that polishing only works by removing material.

So the contact with the ball bearing and the other side will be looser because there will be a fraction more space.
Old 05-15-20, 10:54 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
It cannot remain exactly the same as you are removing material. However, this would be a relatively negligible amount and your existing bearings would still work just fine. They would contact the cone at a slightly different spot than before.
Old 05-15-20, 05:08 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
I'm having the same issue with an Ultegra 6700 rear hub. I took it apart and found the bearings and races to be in awful shape. I'm planning to take it into my LBS once they open, it's not critical as I have other wheelsets I can use, but I'm hoping it can be fixed.

These wheels were like $300 and purchased at least 5 years ago, so I've gotten what I wanted out of them, but would be nice if there is a cheap fix.