Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Glide P8 and Ciao P8 - what are the differences?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 10:38 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In another thread, nekohime recommended I look at the Dahon Glide P8 and Ciao P8, which have designs similar to the (non-folding) Electra Townie I currently own and ride.

(nekohime suggested them as alternatives to the Schwinn Loop and Citizen Bike Barcelona, which I had expressed an interest in.)

I looked at them and they are indeed very similar to the type of design/style I like. I do have a question: What exactly are the differences between these two models? They seem to be very similar, both in price and design.

Also, if anyone here owns one or the other, please tell me what you think. Would they work for a short, fat chick like me?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-10, 10:50 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman
In another thread, nekohime recommended I look at the Dahon Glide P8 and Ciao P8, which have designs similar to the (non-folding) Electra Townie I currently own and ride.

(nekohime suggested them as alternatives to the Schwinn Loop and Citizen Bike Barcelona, which I had expressed an interest in.)

I looked at them and they are indeed very similar to the type of design/style I like. I do have a question: What exactly are the differences between these two models? They seem to be very similar, both in price and design.

Also, if anyone here owns one or the other, please tell me what you think. Would they work for a short, fat chick like me?

Thanks!
Dahon Glide has 24 inches tires and Dahon Ciao has 20 inches tires.
Dahon Glide: folded size is 33 x 81 x 69 cm (12.9" x 31.6" x 26.9"), 31 lbs, aluminum frame, 5/7 speed IGH.
Dahon Ciao: folded size is 34 x 74 x 66 cm (13.3" x 28.9" x 25.7"), 27 lbs, aluminum frame , 5 speed internal gear.

they have almost the same components. so the only reason you might sway from the other or to the other is if you want 24 inches wheel or 20 inches wheel. so you want a small fold or a big fold ? if you can save enough to get a better bike, do so. you will not regret you did it.

i used to have citizen tokyo. it was my first bike and the first folding bike i ever saw. fell in love with it but after couple of rides i could easily tell why the price is low. bought myself a dahon boardwalk and i can tell right away, when i tried it, the difference between dahon and citizen. dahon is way better and faster. then i bought myself another dahon boardwalk speed 7 and love it. sold my citizen and got myself dahon curve d3 and dahon mu xl. love them. i am now riding a bike friday tikit and although the wheel is 16 inches, it's way better than all of my bikes. if you were to ask me which bike i will keep and let go, the one i will let go without hesitation is citizen tokyo and the one to keep is the bike friday tikit. although i love all my dahons......

Last edited by vmaniqui; 07-19-10 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 12:08 AM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman
Neither one of these folders have the crank forward (Electra calls it "flat foot") geometry of the Electra Townie. And of course they have much smaller wheels than the Townie.
Old 07-20-10, 12:36 AM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
Neither one of these folders have the crank forward (Electra calls it "flat foot") geometry of the Electra Townie. And of course they have much smaller wheels than the Townie.
The 24in Glide isn't much smaller though...stability-wise it may be similar enough for her. Yeah, no crank forward geometry, but it does have the step-through frame that she wants.
Old 07-20-10, 05:55 AM
airwulf

Bikes: Brompton H6L, DT Mini, DT 9FS, Dahon Ciao P8, Dahon Classic 3(x2), Dahon TR, R20, Raleigh Chopper III, Auto Mini Jr., Mercier Nano, Giant Anyroad2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Ciao P8 and it's a great ride. Very comfortable, stable, and so far problem-free after 9 months of ownership. The Ciao does not have braze ons for a bottle cage but you can buy a clamp on type which installs on the handlebar or seatpost.
Old 07-20-10, 07:13 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime
The 24in Glide isn't much smaller though...stability-wise it may be similar enough for her. Yeah, no crank forward geometry, but it does have the step-through frame that she wants.
Yes, it is that low step-through that appeals to me. I have a history of banged-up ankles from getting my foot tangled up in the bar when getting off bikes, so the lower the step-through the better!

(Also, just aesthetically, I think the curvy design is prettier overall.)
Old 07-20-10, 07:15 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will show my ignorance, I know, but what are "braze ons"and "bottle cage"? thanks!
Old 07-20-10, 07:58 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
A bottle cage is where you put a water bottle. These attachments can be found in most bike shops. Many bikes have some pre-drilled holes that allow you to add this accessory easily.

A braze on, is usually an extra eyelet welded onto (or brazed onto) the frame so you can screw in something or help the cables stay in place.

If I've said something wrong I'm sure someone will correct me soon.
Old 07-20-10, 08:24 AM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The Glide that I recommended in the other thread is at a closeout price at Thorusa.com https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/2009/glide.htm

Current model price https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/glide.htm

Last edited by Dynocoaster; 07-20-10 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 03:07 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, but more than I can spend. Did I mention that I'm currently unemployed? This purchase will be a luxury - I'll have to save up for it. Will probably take a few months.

(I'm open to donations, though! )
Old 07-20-10, 04:15 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to do your research now, way before you actually get ready to order.

At least you have your townie to enjoy until you're ready to make the big move and get a folder, assuming your interest and/or need is still strong.

Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 07-20-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 05:12 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, that's pretty much the idea, Sunny!
Old 07-20-10, 07:24 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
With your budget, I would look for a used Dahon Ciao/Glide... or maybe pull the trigger on the Citizen Barcelona. While the Citizen will likely have inferior components compared to the Dahons, it should still meet your needs. Keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. You might be able to get a used bike for a great price.
Old 07-21-10, 10:19 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I do still like the way the Barcelona *looks* ... but it is still so new I think I would benefit from waiting a while, to see how actual buyers/riders react. Plus the longer it's on the market, the more likely it will be that used ones will pop up.
Old 07-21-10, 04:42 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: Went to my LBS today (Metropolis Bikes in North Hollywood CA) and they only had one Dahon in the store (the Mariner, I think) - the guy there explained they had sold all the other ones and weren't ordering any more till after some bike show in September in Las Vegas that they're going to.

Anyway, he let me ride it and I liked it! I think the fact that I'd already done that breathtakingly exciting run to the Post Office this morning made me feel more confident. Then as if that wasn't enough, he encouraged me to test-drive an electric bike called the "Pedego" - fun! (WAY more than I could ever spend, of course, but fun nonetheless!)

Anyway, I'm glad I rode the Dahon because now I have a better idea what they feel like. Does seem to be a well-built little bike. Who knows, maybe I'll wind up getting something like that instead!
Old 07-23-10, 02:42 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just posted in the "Best of Craigslist" thread but thought I'd mention it here too: just saw a 2009 Dahon Glide P8 being offered for $550!! Does that sound like a reasonable price to you?

I emailed the seller to ask why she's selling it and she said she'd been using it for commuting by train, but her job's changed and she has to drive to work now, so doesn't really need the bike anymore.

Since I don't have the $$ at hand right now, I asked her to let me know if she hasn't sold it in a couple of weeks ... theoretically I could buy it if I have time to pull the cash together ...

Meantime, there's also a Dahon S1 Boardwalk going for $180 - again, does that sound like a reasonable price? (assuming it's in good condition, of course!)
Old 07-23-10, 04:08 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Good deal on the Glide , I rarely see them come up for sale. I have seen Boardwalks used for $100 and less.
Old 07-23-10, 06:13 PM
SunnyFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also looking into a Broadwalk S1 but that's a one speed. Also the handlebar is integrated into the handlepost. See link below:

https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/boardwalk1.htm

This means that if you wanted to switch out the handlebar you couldn't since it's part of the handlepost. (Folks if I'm wrong on that point please feel free to correct me).

Those two things besides wanting a shorter distance from the seatpost to the handlebars made me decide against the Broadwalk S1 - for me.

If you live in a hilly portion of town, I think you would want something that is at least three speeds or more. I live in Florida, which is mainly flat but even I switch to a lower gear to get pass an unusually steep incline.

Pardon me for saying this but you seem to be going from the lowest end to a relatively higher end of Dahon, from a 20" to a 24" and you look like you're willing to buy a cheaper Dahon folder now rather than wait and save to buy a better model.

Personally, I'd stay with your original game plan. Do your research and bye your time. Get the folder with the features you really want, which seems to be the low-step frame, that is featured in the Ciao and Glide. The multi speeds wouldn't hurt either.

I know some folks will say that the low-step frame may not be that much of an issue in a folder that has 20" wheels. I hope they're right but it does make sense in a way.

Regardless, I'll find out when I get my Speed D7 come Tuesday.

(Yes folks - I got a Speed D7 instead of an ECO/D7, as originally planned. Thor gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.)
Old 07-23-10, 10:55 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, something kind of funny happened this evening. Hubby and I were at my mother-in-law's house for a family reunion, and she asked me, very casually, "Oh by the way, do you want that bike back? I don't need it anymore."

"What bike?" I asked, befuddled.

"That Schwinn folding bike you gave me, last year. I thought my friend was going to take it but she decided she couldn't ride a bike anymore, and I never used it. It's just sitting in the garage."

This is my first folding bike, that I started the other thread about! So I figured, hey, why not take it back and give it another try? Maybe I can "pimp" it a little so it's more comfy - get a better seat, tires, etc. (both tires are flat anyway).

If I still don't like it, I'll re-sell it on Amazon (or here?) and put the $$ in my "folding bike fund" - so, win-win!

But it did make me chuckle - it's the Charlie Brown Bike that Nobody Wanted!
Old 07-24-10, 08:28 AM
SunnyFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take that as a sign from the Bike Gods above. Work with what you got. At best you can ride it on those park trails you wanted. I think you mentioned that you replaced the saddle on the bike. If it's still uncomfortable maybe investing in some padded bike shorts would help.

When I switched out the tractor seat on my trike for a gel - type cruiser saddle, for better pedaling efficiency, the first few days were torture. I hurt you know where.

Dang! I felt that the saddle should have at least taken me out to dinner first because of the way it hurt.

However, I didn't want to buy cycling shorts - not yet - so I waited to see if I got use to it. First thing I did was make sure I was sitting on my seat bones. I was. Then I rode it short distances. Each time I rode, I became more comfortable.

Now I'm totally use to it. However, a soft cruiser type saddle may not be appropriate for you if you plan to travel longer than 5-10 miles (as explained by others in your previous thread). I don't travel long distances on my trike (the most 5 miles one way). The folder may be a different story since I'm expecting it to be a lot faster and nimble.

In the end, as wiser posters have said, the important thing is to continue riding. You seem to be doing that already with your Towine. Cool. Now you have another type of bike you can vary your ride with.
Old 07-26-10, 04:40 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good suggestions there, SunnyFlorida - thanks!

I actually reached deep down inside and found a little bit of common sense: took the Schwinn to my LBS this morning and left it for a tune-up. It'll be ready Thursday so I'll just keep riding the non-folder (and the stationary bike at the gym!) till then, to keep my legs/butt in shape.

Took the non-folder out to the P.O. this afternoon and it actually felt pretty good. Hubby adjusted the seat again - probably does need to be higher.

Anyway - thanks again for the great advice & encouragement!
Old 09-06-10, 02:27 PM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to update this to say thanks to SunnyFlorida - something in your words of encouragement flipped a switch deep inside my brain and got me back on my bike(s), and I've been riding every day ever since!

It wasn't just your words but they definitely helped - so THANKS again!
Old 09-06-10, 07:09 PM
SunnyFlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh gee thanks Stoogeswoman. You're more than welcome.

Saw you got another new member to your ever growing bike family (Schwinn Loop). Enjoy them all.

Happy belated b-day.
Old 09-07-10, 10:29 AM
cliffdweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was your experience with this bike?

i used to have citizen tokyo. it was my first bike and the first folding bike i ever saw. fell in love with it but after couple of rides i could easily tell why the price is low. When I first started looking at folders the Citizen line came up several times. I had yet to see anyone riding one, or for that matter, couldn't find a soul who had any experience with them. Yesterday I saw a man riding one and asked about it. It seemed heavy and built with inexpensive parts, looked cumbersome when folded. What was your take on this machine? I think his was the Miami model.

Last edited by cliffdweller; 09-07-10 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-07-10, 12:40 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
i used to have citizen tokyo. it was my first bike and the first folding bike i ever saw. fell in love with it but after couple of rides i could easily tell why the price is low. When I first started looking at folders the Citizen line came up several times. I had yet to see anyone riding one, or for that matter, couldn't find a soul who had any experience with them. Yesterday I saw a man riding one and asked about it. It seemed heavy and built with inexpensive parts, looked cumbersome when folded. What was your take on this machine? I think his was the Miami model.
i had the same experience - bought citizen tokyo as my first bike. easily fell in love with it. color yellow was so great. love how small it is when folded. tried it on my first commute and realized that this is not the bike i want. gearings is on the slow side, it is so heavy to carry and you can't roll it when folded. not ideal for the person with multi commute as myself. had it for only few weeks and totally agree with you the this is one of those bikes that you can say - you get what you pay for. i paid $100 so i am not surprise at all.