Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

58yr old, approx. 220 lbs, - need bike recommendation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 06:21 PM
lbm703

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello - my husband is 6'2", large around the middle and enjoys the stationary bikes at the gym - I want to buy him a bike but not sure what is best for his height and weight. He's had a hip replacement and doesn't have the best knees, but has expressed wanting to ride the bike path near our home. It's not hilly. Since he hasn't ridden in years and I'm not sure how he'll take to it I don't want to spend more than $200-$250. Can you recommend something? Perhaps something with a wide seat for comfort?
Old 05-16-17, 06:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18405 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,363 Posts
I'd work with your husband to find something that he likes and enjoys.

The "road bikes" can be racy, but expensive, and probably won't fit the scenario you describe.

A "cruiser" bike should be fine. If there are no hills, then single speed, 3 speed, or 5/7 speed should be just fine.

The next choice is where to look. $200 to $250 in NEW bikes puts you in department store class bikes (also online). Ok for a few miles, but they have their limitations.

If you and your husband are handy with tools, then there are a lot of good used deals (Craigslist). Often needing some tinkering. And, will include a mix of recycled department store bikes, and some nicer ones.

Old MTBs make great cruiser bikes too. Your husband would need a pretty large one.
Old 05-16-17, 06:53 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. I am a big fan of older mountain bikes with no suspension. Or early hybrids. They're often pretty reasonably priced in the used section of your local bike shop or on your Craigslist, $50-150. Look for a frame size of 21 to 22, maybe 23 inches. The important factor wiil be his ability to mount and dismount easily. A newer hybrid with a slanting tube or a smaller frame may well be better. Then you can ditch the knobby tires and get tires with a slick or smoother tread for easier pedaling effort.

If you can give us a general location we can look over CL for you.

Last edited by leftthread; 05-16-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 06:55 PM
leftthread

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Like this.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/6134726721.html
Old 05-16-17, 07:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. I am a big fan of older mountain bikes with no suspension. Or early hybrids. They're often pretty reasonably priced in the used section of your local bike shop or on your Craigslist, $50-150. Look for a frame size of 21 to 22, maybe 23 inches. The important factor wiil be his ability to mount and dismount easily. A newer hybrid with a slanting tube or a smaller frame may well be better. Then you can ditch the knobby tires and get tires with a slick or smoother tread for easier pedaling effort.

If you can give us a general location we can look over CL for you.
+ 1. At this price range (around $200) and use, a quality vintage mountain bike is the way to go.
Old 05-16-17, 07:09 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If you and you're husband are limited in bike knowledge then I'd suggest you visit a bike shop or two to see what type of bike he might take to. The shop owner/manager will get him on the correct size bike. He should test ride every bike that appeals to him. If you're budget is fixed in the low hundreds then you'll be starting with a craigslist or other used bike. If you can boost the budget then you may be able to start with a new bike from the bike shop.
FYI: I started with a Raleigh road bike in 1999 when I was 54 and was 6'-0" and weighted ~245#. I still ride road bikes but the weight has been ~180 for the past 16 years. I'm now 72.

If you see any bikes at the shops he likes feel free to ask questions. We're always glad to help. Have fun looking.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 05-16-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 07:34 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to get kicked off the forum for saying this, but I've seen some bikes that looked pretty serviceable in that price range at Costco recently.
Agree, re hybrid or cruiser type bike.
Craigslist is where I do a lot of my shopping, but I am not reading anything in your post that says your husband is looking for a bike restoration project.

If folks are struggling with balance, back problems, knee problems, etc., often a recumbent trike is a better choice than a bicycle - but that is about 10x your price range.
Old 05-16-17, 07:56 PM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
+1. Triple Triangle for the win! Cheap as chips for a "classic" GT, especially a better than average model like the Tequesta (which sold for over $500 in the early 1990s!). I would be all over this at $50.

A concern with a used bike is the frame size. At 6'2" your hubby will probably need a larger frame, unless his legs are short and his torso long. Harder to find used, and sellers most of the time don't indicate what frame size they're offering, so you kinda have to know a larger frame by sight.

The other thing is that a used bike might not be "ride ready" and he might need some basic repair skills to make it so.
Old 05-16-17, 08:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
A hybrid is nice, light, upright and easy to ride. My choice would be a Giant Rapid 3 though you could find comparable bikes such as the Trek Fx series. Check shops and local Craigslist.
Old 05-16-17, 09:31 PM
big john

Quoted: 8322 Post(s)
Liked 9,132 Times in 4,513 Posts
I'm about the same size and I think an older rigid mtb is a great choice for fun/fitness riding.
They're tough, have low enough gears for anyone, and can be ridden about anywhere.
Old 05-17-17, 12:37 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
I am just going to chime in with one other thing. Bring the husband along when buying the bike as you want him to use it. As such, the bike needs to be nice and comfy for him but I agree with other posters here a hybrid or cruiser would be the best bet to buy.
Old 05-17-17, 03:04 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Let him choose the bike. If you want to make it a surprise, present him with a nice card containing a 'voucher' for a shopping trip to a decent bike shop. You can check out the shop beforehand (probably a good idea), but buying without him can easily lead to disappointment if it's the wrong sort or doesn't fit or...
Old 05-17-17, 07:21 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I agree with the comments about getting a decent used mountain bike and then see what happens.

When I started riding about 8 years ago, I borrowed and then bought an old mountain bike from a friend. I put on a good set of tires and rode it for about 6-months. By that time, I had a much better feeling for what I wanted in a bike. I then bought a new hybrid that I have been riding ever since.

Have fun!