Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Domane AL2 Shimano Crankset or Not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 08:00 AM
NJ2FLA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi…. Just re entered biking upon retirement, and purchased a Domane AL 2 from a Trek dealer to get started. As the bike is 58 cm, it required a special order. After a month or so of riding, I noticed that the pedals do not have the Shimano logo and the crankset has no Shimano manufacturer stamping. It is my understanding that the Shimano Claris set comes with this bike as factory fill. Since I am a new to the forum, I cannot post the photo. I have written to Trek on this matter, but no reply. If anyone has any comment or advise, I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks!
Old 05-17-23, 08:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 5,557 Times in 2,812 Posts
This is not unusual and if you look at the description of any bike online you will see a disclaimer that parts may be substituted. Supplies are still suffering from COVID. I ordered a Cannondale a couple of months ago, was supposed to come with a GRX crank. Showed up with an FSA. I was a little disappointed but what the heck, they do the best they can.
Old 05-17-23, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
On the current version of the Domane AL 2 they spec Wellgo R199 pedals. So give them a break on the pedals. Frankly I'm surprised the Domane of any version came with pedals.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...0733_f30933a81

Till you get your 10 posts and a day, you can upload pics to the gallery here and just tell us they are there. Someone will find them and post them for you. Though I don't think pics necessary for this issue... yet.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-17-23 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 08:33 AM
NJ2FLA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is not unusual and if you look at the description of any bike online you will see a disclaimer that parts may be substituted. Supplies are still suffering from COVID. I ordered a Cannondale a couple of months ago, was supposed to come with a GRX crank. Showed up with an FSA. I was a little disappointed but what the heck, they do the best they can.
Thanks.... I did see that disclaimer on the Trek site and was wondering if this apparent substitution was due to supply chain issues from Covid.
Likes For NJ2FLA:
Old 05-17-23, 11:42 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 1,047 Posts
The pedals are no biggie but I would be a bit upset too about getting a non-Shimano crankset on a bike that is spec'ed with a full Shimano drivetrain.
Old 05-17-23, 12:33 PM
NJ2FLA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Meant to say crank arms, not the foot pedals. Trek just confirmed crankset not Shimano. Thanks & FYI.

Last edited by NJ2FLA; 05-17-23 at 12:36 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-17-23, 01:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes they have to change specs and with Claris it is their lower end road group so it is nothing to fret about. The other crankset could even be a minor upgrade or is most likely just a grade. I would ride the bike and save up towards the bike of your dreams once you figure out what you like and don't like with this one. It is a place to start and get back into it
Old 05-17-23, 02:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
If it's this bike-
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-al-2/p/33037/
It doesn't have Shimao hubs/wheels or pedals either.
Just a few Claris drivetrain/shifting parts.
Claris is somewhat low on the Shimano "road" food chain, so an "off brand" crank may be doing you a favor.
Besides, It's probably more about how good of a Bottom Bracket you have, rather then crank when it comes to longevity.

Would you be happier with this crank and associated price jump?
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Dura-...A36CSOLF9Y1DF1
Old 05-17-23, 04:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,336 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ2FLA
Thanks.... I did see that disclaimer on the Trek site and was wondering if this apparent substitution was due to supply chain issues from Covid.
Subbing a part, for the spec list one, happens for a few reasons. Lately supply chain issues (C19 caused in many cases) account for many. But other stuff happens too. I've seen a recall be the cause of spec subbing. And of course there's the cost control aspect. If a OEM supplier raises their price to Trek and Trek wants to keep both the MRSP and their margin the same they will sub a lower cost part.

But today's situation is better than in the past. During the 1970s two bike booms many brands had a hard time keeping up with production/supply. At the Raleigh shop I worked at we would place bike orders and hope we received close enough to what we told customers we were expecting (and on that point I remember being told to not presell any bike not actually on hand). We would open a boxed Grand Prix (one of the more popular 10 speeds at that time) and see what brakes or ders it came with this time. Thankfully the interweb was still a dream in Big Al's mind and customers were far less expectant than today's. Andy
Old 05-17-23, 05:33 PM
NJ2FLA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
of course there's the cost control aspect. If a OEM supplier raises their price to Trek and Trek wants to keep both the MRSP and their margin the same they will sub a lower cost part.
...or perhaps parts cannibalization occurs at wholesale or retail levels after a product leaves an OEM.

Last edited by NJ2FLA; 05-18-23 at 02:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-17-23, 08:05 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
...Trek just confirmed crankset not Shimano. Thanks & FYI.
Did they say which make/model crankset they supplied?
Old 05-19-23, 11:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 5,557 Times in 2,812 Posts
...or perhaps parts cannibalization occurs at wholesale or retail levels after a product leaves an OEM.
I think that would be very unlikely if you are dealing with an actual shop and legit brand of bike.