Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 02:17 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
My Catrike recumbent trike
Old 04-24-21, 03:03 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-24-21, 05:47 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If I had to choose only one bike, no doubt it would be my Trek Domane SL7. The bike is more than comfortable with the ISO speed, endurance fit and can take larger tires if need be.

To the OP, your choice of a Domane is good one. I think it will check all your boxes.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 04-24-21, 07:50 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I don't know why people don't buy the one bike and two different sets of wheels? One set with road tires, and the other set with gravel. And simply change them out depending on the riding they are doing that day. I guess the key would be making sure the frame has the clearance for both.
Uhh, well I have five wheels for my vintage 26er MTB: a wheelset with Race King knobby tires for messy conditions, a wheelset with smooth Contact Speed tires for dry conditions and an extra rear wheel with a home trainer tire for the annual three or four weeks of Arctic hell when I actually ride indoors. Works great!

Actually at this time of year, I’ve been running the knobby Race King in front and the smooth Contact Speed in back. It’s not the full on mud mess we have in winter but still rains a little every few days to where it’s helpful to have a bit of grip so the front wheel doesn’t slip on turns. And there really isn’t much cost in terms of rolling resistance with the Race King on the front. It bears less weight and is amazingly fast.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-24-21, 08:42 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
What would happen if a road bike jumped a triple at a BMX track?
But a BMX bike can certainly ride along on asphalt without the bike being damaged.
You’ll just not going to combine distance with speed, or distance with comfort on a road going BMX bike.

And you’ll look like a pensioner pretending to be a teenager- but I always thought the coolest thing about old people is not giving a **** what anybody thinks about them anymore.

I remember my grandma taking out the trash in her underwear. Good for her.
So tell me- what/who, exactly, are you arguing about? I clearly stated that different kinds of riding need different kinds of bikes to be done well, and then you came in with a full diaper and started screaming that you want the teet again? Kids these days... maybe there’s an Instagram account out there that will help this one figure it out.
Old 04-24-21, 12:01 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Thats a really nice looking bike.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-24-21, 12:09 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
So tell me- what/who, exactly, are you arguing about? I clearly stated that different kinds of riding need different kinds of bikes to be done well, and then you came in with a full diaper and started screaming that you want the teet again? Kids these days... maybe there’s an Instagram account out there that will help this one figure it out.
Mostly agreeing with your previous post (I think).

In that it would seem any bike highly capable of going off road, can go on road easily as far as the function of the bike goes. I think. But probably slower.

But any bike designed exclusively for going fast on the road, would probably be a disaster going off road aggressively.

I don’t tweet. I remember maybe 3 years ago a couple beautiful young women walking by in Joshua Tree. They were not dressed for hiking or rock scrabbling. Didn’t make sense to me then my buddy I was enlisted with in a previous life says “For the gram.”
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-24-21, 02:10 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
So if you're keeping your fat bike, then you have your mountain biking needs pretty much covered. I used to own a Pugsly and can say that it would handle most of your average off-road terrain just fine. So unless you're doing some serious technical terrain you've got yourself an adequate mountain bike. So for your other bike you could choose something like a Surly Cross Check or Gunnar Crosshairs (or other similar bikes) and then build it up so that it is more comfort oriented for your preferences. As per previous suggestions, I would also have an additional set of wheels that could easily be switched out.
Old 04-24-21, 02:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Easy choice for me, I hate gravel. Steel frame Roadster with long TT and a steel swept bar. Disc Rohloff14 with cable TRP Spyre and SA XL-FDD dyno drum brake in the front. I have used 28" x 36 mm tires almost my whole life. I have a 584 mm rim bike with SA RD3 now with 38 mm too. Any wider and I couldn't use my awesome Velocity Dyad rims.
My SA XL-RD5w is great when the shifting works and I'm not touring. I just bought such a #2 bike for my SA drum wheels.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-24-21 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 03:01 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Easy choice for me, I hate gravel. Steel frame Roadster with long TT and a steel swept bar. Disc Rohloff14 with cable TRP Spyre and SA XL-FDD dyno drum brake in the front. I have used 28" x 36 mm tires almost my whole life. I have a 584 mm rim bike with SA RD3 now with 38 mm too. Any wider and I couldn't use my awesome Velocity Dyad rims. My SA XL-RD5w is great when the shifting works and I'm not touring. I just bought such a #2 bike for my SA drum wheels.
I never heard of 28inch wheels.
Old 04-24-21, 03:14 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I went with a 2021 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon because I wanted to just have one versatile bike. That being said I haven't used it on anything other than the road. No off-road or gravel riding in its one year of use lol. I now have two wheel setups. I have the stock aluminum wheels setup with 38mm Pathfinder Pro wheels(this setup i never use). I also have a road setup with Roval CL50 wheels and 25mm GP5000 tires that never come off the bike.

Im now wondering if I made the wrong choice. The bike is great but it is a gravel bike that I use primarily as a road bike. Ive watched some youtube videos with Gravel Bike vs Road Bike comparisons. Most of the comparisons give a Road Bike maybe a 5% to 10% advantage on the road. With my wheel setup its probably closer to a 5% advantage. I still think about it it though. How much faster I would be on a Tarmac vs a Diverge. This is how people get suckered into buying that 2nd bike.
Old 04-24-21, 03:26 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo001
At this time I have many bikes, I’m tired of maintaining numerous bikes. If you could only have one bike for road/ occasional gravel what would it be? I’m more concerned with comport than speed, don’t want a “race” bike, prefer a more relaxed geometry and disc brakes.
thanks for the input!

P.S. still keeping a fat bike for winter and muddy trails
2 is the minimum
Old 04-24-21, 03:53 PM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I never heard of 28inch wheels.
Look up Schwalbe tires, they use that nomenclature for their European tires and tubes.
Old 04-24-21, 05:24 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Look up Schwalbe tires, they use that nomenclature for their European tires and tubes.
If Americans can use metric nomenclature that doesn't make sense, like 700c, then Europeans can use English nomenclature that doesn't make sense.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-24-21, 08:38 PM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
If Americans can use metric nomenclature that doesn't make sense, like 700c, then Europeans can use English nomenclature that doesn't make sense.
I do see the irony of what you are saying and I laughed when I read it. It is odd. Yet, I am only the messenger not the creator. of what Schwalbe does or doesn't do.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 04-24-21, 10:37 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
The actual sizes were 28 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1 5/8" ( 635 ) and also later 28" = 622 mm rim.
Then later 630 became 27", LOL.
British bikes were mostly these two 28" sizes until the 1980s. I rode all these sizes. There is no end to tire size craziness.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-24-21 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 02:50 AM
Gitane1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hard to say what I'd ride if I literally had to reduce it just to one, but if it's about versatility (and most road and mountain bikes aren't that in my eyes) then it would have to be something with a Rohloff Speedhub in the back, sloping frame geometry and some proper disc brakes.
Old 04-25-21, 07:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would stay at 2, the LWB bent, and my trike. That way I have the best tool for the ride at hand.
Old 04-25-21, 12:39 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I could probably go down to 3 - one BMX bike, one utility/commute bike and a nicer road bike. I've not had the fitness/training type road bike at several times in the past, one always shows back up after a year or two.

I currently have separate utility/commute bikes for summer and winter (I really like the summer one, but won't fit my studded tires) that I could go down to one, 3 BMX bikes -20" and 24" race bikes + a park bike. I could be fine with just the 20" race bike if I was short on space, I don't do grinding, and have a steel frame 20" race bike anyway.

My dirt jumper could go, and my second road bike and folding recumbent are both for sale anyway.
Old 04-25-21, 07:59 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
At the moment it’s looking like the vintage 26er SS MTB is the only bike I will use. All my rides involve trails to some degree. The rail trails have flood damaged sections that have been patched with deep loose stone and it’s better to surf that with 26x2.0 than 700x32.

Even if I get gutsy and start to do some single track, I can just set that bike up a double SS drivetrain with 42/16 for mellow trails and 38/20 for single track. At least I would run the 16/20 cogs on the knobby tire rear wheel.

Otto
Old 04-25-21, 08:22 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
If I could store the bike inside at work and not outside on a bike rack, I'd be willing to go with an endurance road bike or a gravel bike with an endurance road geometry. I'd probably keep mudguards on it full time for commuting in the rain.

Maybe add in a breakaway or S&S coupler for occasional travel?

Huh, I think maybe the Ritchey Outback/SwissCross Breakaway could be my 1 bike. Everything else could be covered by having two different wheelsets, various bar setups, etc.
Likes For Parkyy16:
Old 05-01-21, 07:23 PM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Most gravel bikes would fulfill your needs I would think. I have a Giant Revolt Advanced 0 that takes me just about anywhere I need to go on a bike with the exception of some singletrack trails where it's a little out of place.

Kevin g
Old 05-03-21, 05:48 AM
Leo001

Bikes: Lightspeed Classic. Specialized Sectur. Specialized Langster. Salsa Beargrease Bianchi Camolante Serotta Colorado Trek Lane

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
If I had to choose only one bike, no doubt it would be my Trek Domane SL7. The bike is more than comfortable with the ISO speed, endurance fit and can take larger tires if need be.

To the OP, your choice of a Domane is good one. I think it will check all your boxes.
the Domane is on the short list (also in short supply) as well as a Lynskey R300
Old 05-04-21, 02:51 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 524 Posts
This is probably the first one I would think of.
Old 05-04-21, 12:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Salsa Cutthroat. /thread

great choice ! John Stamstad (former winner of Iditabike, RAAM, and countless other things ) rides a Cutthroat !

PErsonally if i had a Cutthroat, i would swap the drop bars for Jones H bars and mountain bike controls -- the cockpit is shorter than a mountain bikes --

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.