Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Import Duty from UK to US?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-21, 10:00 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts

Does anybody know the import duty on framesets made in the UK shipped to US?
The only thing I could find is this:

87149120 Pts. & access. for bicycles & o/cycles, frames, valued over $600 each NO B 3.9%

Thanks
Old 12-22-21, 10:28 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I've never been charged import or customs fees for anything coming from anywhere in the world here in the US, whether it has to do with cycling or other hobbies, and even if it costs a thousand dollars or more. I just had a $1,000 frame set shipped from England via Parcelforce and it arrived on my doorstep without any exchange of funds or information whatsoever. If they do charge it would be on the seller's end and they should be able to tell you what it'll be at time of purchase.

As far as I know the US is amazing for not charging fees. Many other countries do, and won't even release packages until large sums are paid in some cases.

-Gregory
Old 12-22-21, 11:37 AM
jnbrown

I am wondering if bicycles where affected when our former president was throwing up tariffs like crazy and if those tariffs have since been repealed.
Old 12-22-21, 11:46 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
I've never been charged import or customs fees for anything coming from anywhere in the world here in the US, whether it has to do with cycling or other hobbies, and even if it costs a thousand dollars or more. I just had a $1,000 frame set shipped from England via Parcelforce and it arrived on my doorstep without any exchange of funds or information whatsoever. If they do charge it would be on the seller's end and they should be able to tell you what it'll be at time of purchase.

As far as I know the US is amazing for not charging fees. Many other countries do, and won't even release packages until large sums are paid in some cases.

-Gregory
This is true and great for US buyers of international goods.
The US could make lots of import tax $$$ to help with the deficit.
Most other countries have a customs holdup for checkout and taxing and thus delays shipments and sometimes prevents purchases if buyers are not expecting to pay this extra fee. Its especially bad for imports into China which should be no surprise to most.
Old 12-22-21, 12:26 PM
jnbrown

I have bought a lot of bike parts from the UK and only had a problem once where they charged me duty but I think I got it refunded after a lot of trouble and time.
Never bought a bicycle or frameset so I was wondering.
Old 12-22-21, 12:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Are you talking about the occasional purchase as an individual? Or a business deal importing dozens of frames at a time?

It is rare that individuals get hit with significant tax for small items.
Old 12-22-21, 01:01 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
I've ordered a bunch of times from the UK. Orders ranged from $100-$350. I was never hit with any import duty or taxes.
Old 12-22-21, 01:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I think right now up to $800 is duty free. I do know I got hit for a small amount for a $900+ set of new tubulars I ordered from the UK. What torked me was FEDEX paid the duty without me authorizing them too and then charged me a large fee to do it. That's B.S., I did not pick FEDEX as the shipper nor authorized them to act as my agent. I fully expected to be hit with a duty fee but FEDEX's admin fee on top of it is should be illegal.
Old 12-22-21, 01:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
By post, no issues I have experienced.
but did not purchase during the last administration.
by DHL, FedEx… customs brokerage usury fees and with Fedex, no recoup of “duty” even after they acknowledge they goofed.

by post if you possibly can is my suggestion.
I have received a frame set from my he UK by Mail but been a while, specs may have changed.
Old 12-23-21, 07:49 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've ordered a bunch of times from the UK. Orders ranged from $100-$350. I was never hit with any import duty or taxes.
Same here.
Old 12-23-21, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
I think right now up to $800 is duty free.
This.

The US could make lots of import tax $$$ to help with the deficit.

It was found upon investigation that the act of collecting import duties on relatively low cost items cost more than it brought in.

Fun fact: from 1919 to 1983, bicycles tires were subject to excise taxes under the same formula as car and truck tires. Application to bicycle tires was repealed when analysis revealed collecting this fiscally pitiful tax cost more than it brought in.

I am wondering if bicycles where affected when ((the executive branch 2017-2021 enacted)) tariffs...and if those tariffs have since been repealed.
Yes, kind of, there were categories, and yes, although new OEM bicycles & equipment remain subject to some import duties, as they have been for decades.
Old 12-23-21, 12:16 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Like others here, the only time I got hit with import tax was through a private carrier (DHL in this case). I suspect they get a cut of the money and little to none gets to the gubmint.
Old 12-23-21, 01:09 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Right: never have anything shipped via. the private carriers. They will slap on an extortionist 'import charge' that will be multiples of what the actual taxes and duties are, and hold your goods until you pay up in full through some sketchy web site.

A favorite trick is that the private carriers will charge everything in your goods bundle at the highest possible tax rate. So if you ordered a bicycle and a pair of socks, the whole package will get charged duties at the highest possible rate (the socks). Or blanket charge full federal and state taxes regardless of exemptions on certain goods.

I suspect that much of these 'import charges' do not end up in government coffers, but in Cayman Island accounts.

I've been hit a few times with this, to the point where I don't order from certain large vendors anymore.