Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Shoes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 06:50 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Commuter Shoes

I have a pair of very nice Giro Rumble VR commuter shoes. After two years and 10K+ miles, they are shot. They look nice but boy, can you feel the pedals. Is this common among these type of shoes? I've tried other brands but I always end up with the same results. I'm not sure what to do. Go back to Giro or buy something else.
Old 04-19-23, 11:35 AM
brooklyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have been commuting with Adidas Velosambas. Good balance of a stiff sole for riding and flexibility for walking. I believe Adidas is having a sale right now for 30% off.
Likes For brooklyn:
Old 04-25-23, 10:40 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I use Velosambas daily, and I think I've previously recommended them in here? The only caveat I'd add is that while they worked perfectly for me when I was using eggbeaters, I recently switched to SPDs which have thicker cleats; between that switch and also repositioning my cleats for a more careful fit, they now contact the floor when I walk normally in my shoes, to the point where I feel the need to wear SPD cleat covers over them at work.

It's not great, but I still prefer using them this way to carrying an extra pair of shoes to work in the mornings. But maybe look for shoes with better cleat clearance if you're going to use SPD.
Old 04-26-23, 04:23 AM
Colorado Kid

Up Date

The pedals I have a Toe Clips. I like them a lot but they tend to eat some types of shoes. I'm thinking of going back to old dress shoes (Oxford) as they have thicker soles then some other. Is anyone in the same boat as me?
Old 04-26-23, 04:55 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
When your Giros were new, could you feel the pedals? I think 2 years out of a pair of shoes with 10,000 miles on them is incredible. The only way you're going to get more cycling mileage out of a shoe is by going clipless, but you miss the versatility of being able to walk around in them.
I use a pair of Specialized 2FO Roost shoes and they are great (for me). They allow me to ride and work in the same shoe, and they don't look like sneakers. They do look more like a skate shoe, but are understated and have no logos, so they don't draw any attention.
If your Giro shoes fit you and you like them, just get another pair, you're probably not going to find anything better.

Last edited by PhilFo; 05-04-23 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Aside about noise scraping the ground - I had some MTB shoes that made a noise like heels. I figured out it was not the SPD cleat. It was the bolt in the hole where you can add a toe spike

I presently have a few pairs of Chrome shoes. They do fit one size bigger than listed. Mostly they have been fine. One of them gave me a callus on the back of my foot. On the left side only, go figure
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-26-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 02:04 PM
Colorado Kid

The Giro felt great out of the box. I didn't feel the pedals until much later on. I think about 8-9K miles. Has anyone used dress shoes on their commute? If so, how did it work?
Old 04-26-23, 05:53 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Every pair of non-cycling shoes that I've worn for any decent length of time commuting, I have split the sole. Only a pair of heavy Red Wing work boots hasn't been defeated by pedals, the rest should be relegated to walking only.
Old 05-01-23, 01:54 PM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Really liking my Spec 2FO Roost: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/2f...shoes/p/187391

Feel good on my wide feet, variety of colors, huge adjustment range for the cleat, flat bottom option. Stiff enough to pedal but not so stiff you can't walk.
Likes For Smitty2k1:
Old 05-02-23, 05:37 AM
Colorado Kid

What about Boots? I see some commuters wearing them. They are cheap (Military surplus.) , stiff and well, big.
Old 05-03-23, 01:23 PM
brooklyn

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ilchymis
I use Velosambas daily, and I think I've previously recommended them in here? The only caveat I'd add is that while they worked perfectly for me when I was using eggbeaters, I recently switched to SPDs which have thicker cleats; between that switch and also repositioning my cleats for a more careful fit, they now contact the floor when I walk normally in my shoes, to the point where I feel the need to wear SPD cleat covers over them at work.

It's not great, but I still prefer using them this way to carrying an extra pair of shoes to work in the mornings. But maybe look for shoes with better cleat clearance if you're going to use SPD.
That is interesting about the SPD cleats. I use Time ATAC pedals and have no issue with walking.
Likes For brooklyn:
Old 05-04-23, 07:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
The Giro felt great out of the box. I didn't feel the pedals until much later on. I think about 8-9K miles. Has anyone used dress shoes on their commute? If so, how did it work?
I've been wearing dress shoes lately, and it's not ideal because I have injured feet which are sensitive to pressure in the wrong places. I'm not sure what I will do about that. Maybe I'll leave a pair of street shoes at work and ride to work in cycling shoes. I don't have spare carrying capacity for shoes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-07-23, 11:57 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn
That is interesting about the SPD cleats. I use Time ATAC pedals and have no issue with walking.
Ah, thanks for the tip. ATACs were actually my first clipless pedal, many years ago. I vaguely recall liking those pedals, and I remember feeling similarly confident in them as I did with my more recent eggbeaters. I think I only switched my ATACs out because I wanted a road-style pedal on what was my only bike at the time, and I didn't have a commuting use-case back then.

I really liked the engagement, float, and simplicity of my eggbeaters, but I had two pairs where the axle bearings failed after commuting in the rain, so I've given up on them for now. But I was only able to get a similar-ish level of confidence with SPDs after switching from the default SM-SH56 cleats (where I popped out of the pedals unexpectedly by pulling up with too much force at a stoplight—scary experience) to SM-SH51, and also dialing the disengagement force up to the max. And even then, there's the "cleats make crunching noises on the floor at work" issue.

I may have to give ATACs another try!

P.S., do you wear Velosambas? If so, which ATAC pedals are you using?

Last edited by ilchymis; 05-08-23 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 06:22 PM
brooklyn

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
ilchymis

Right now my Velosambas are the only shoes I use to commute in. As far as which ATAC pedals I have the Alium and the XC.
Likes For brooklyn:
Old 05-18-23, 11:32 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
What about Boots? I see some commuters wearing them. They are cheap (Military surplus.) , stiff and well, big.
What is your occupation?

You previously stated something about the toe of the shoes wearing out. Military boots don’t usually have a reinforced toe.
Jump boots have a double layer of leather on the toe. Corcoran IIs are the only jump boots I’ve found to be somewhat comfy, but they aren’t cheap.

Military boots have a steel shank in the sole to protect against pungí sticks, so you’ll never feel the pedals.

I spent years in them and don’t think they’re comfortable. Especially leg boots. No cushioning at all in the sole.

I’d get another pair of the shoes you had before.

My preference is to be barefoot or in flip flops whenever possible. If you’re the type that wears shoes around the house, you might find military boots comfy.
Old 05-18-23, 12:42 PM
Colorado Kid

Great! I have some good ideas for shoes. I've bought some old dress shoes that are still stiff in the front from E-Bay. The trick is finding something warmer for the cold months ahead. I've got some time before that happens. Mean while, I ride.
Old 05-18-23, 03:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I have used many different shoe/pedal systems over the years when I was commuting, a daily 60 km round trip. One of the earliest was a pair of Avocet touring shoes paired up with toe clips and straps. For those not familiar with these shoes, they had a moulded in slot for pedal retention in the shoe sole. They had fairly stiff soles due to a steel shank in the instep of the shoe. I rode mine enough to break the steel shank, replaced it with a heavy piece of sheet steel, and then rode those shoes to extinction. I tried other systems. I acquired a set of Time TWT(Time walking technology) shoes and pedals for a very good price. These were single sided pedals that used an interface very similar to Time's ATAC mountain bike pedals. The downside was that the shoes, cleats and pedals were totally proprietary, nothing else worked with them. The shoes were comfortable, but not stiff enough. I rode them until one of the pedals retention bars failed.
For a couple of years I used a pair of Shimano shoes designed for SPD pedals which had a very smooth sole along with toe clips. Worked fine. eventually I bought some SPD style pedals that required cleats. I ran through a couple of sets of them(my commute averaged 9000 km per year). I don't commute now, but if I had to the Look Quartz pedals on my touring bike would be my choice. I have a pair of DMT shoes that look like casual sport shoes, They have almost smooth soles, they could be used with toe clips and straps equally as well as with my Quartz pedals

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-18-23 at 03:25 PM.