Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Something You "Take The Lane" Folks Might Enjoy

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Something You "Take The Lane" Folks Might Enjoy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 09:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't think there are a large percentage of motorists who are that ignorant.
I won't argue the percentage, but it's certainly a sizeable one for a very simple reasons. First, assumed converse is a very common error. Second, here it's also a convenient assumption because it reinforces what they already want to believe. Logic doesn't matter, people tend to selectively use whatever conveniently reinforces what they already (or prefer to) believe.

So, for those drivers who already get along with cyclists, it's no harm, no foul, but to those who are the likely problems, it "supports" their assumptions.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-29-23 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 10:06 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I won't argue the percentage, but it's certainly a sizeable one for a very simple reasons. First, assumed converse is a very common error. Second, here it's also a convenient assumption because it reinforces what they already want to believe. Logic doesn't matter, people tend to selectively use whatever conveniently reinforces what they already (or prefer to) believe.

So, for those drivers who already get along with cyclists, it's no harm, no foul, but to those who are the likely problems, it "supports" their assumptions.
It's probably the same reason that drivers may believe that roads that have adjacent bike lanes are closed to bicycles, which in many places is not true. Here in WA, you can choose to take the bike lane or ride on the road.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-30-23, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
There's a very common logic fallacy sometimes called an assumed converse.

So, if people regularly see signage indicating that bikes are legal [here], it's too easy to jump to the conclusion that no sign means no bikes.

This is an extremely old concept in thinking and logic and a reason that the framers felt the need to add the 9th amendment "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people", to the constitution.

It's also why we see phrases like "including....., but not limited to" in contracts.
I understand that this fallacy exists, but is there any evidence that it affects significant numbers of people's understandings of the significance of sharrows? I ride in some places where they are common, and I've never seen any evidence of this belief by drivers or riders regarding the notion that other roads were somehow closed to bicycles/
Old 05-30-23, 08:35 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I don't think there are a large percentage of motorists who are that ignorant.
Depends on where you live.

What is the literacy rate in New Orleans?
Megan Holt doubts many people are surprised to learn that New Orleans' adult literacy rate is lower than the national average—the New Orleans Community Data Center estimates the city has a 26 percent low-literacy rate among 18- to 64-year olds, compared to 23 percent nationally.
Google Search

Some locations are dumber than others.
Old 05-30-23, 12:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Depends on where you live.

What is the literacy rate in New Orleans?
Megan Holt doubts many people are surprised to learn that New Orleans' adult literacy rate is lower than the national average—the New Orleans Community Data Center estimates the city has a 26 percent low-literacy rate among 18- to 64-year olds, compared to 23 percent nationally.
Google Search

Some locations are dumber than others.
True dat.

In the late 70s I lived in NO for a few years. My first summer there I drove a ice cream truck selling ice cream and cold drinks to longshoremen working the uptown docks. Crunch bars were "church bars". The Deluxe bar was a "Dixie bar." And the Neapolitan sandwich became a "Napoleon sandwich." I soon realized that a fair number of my customers were functionally illiterate but recognized the letters and used words that were common in the area that used roughly the same letters. At the time, the Dixie beer sign loomed large over the downtown area. And one of the docks was the Napoleon St. wharf. So these were the words they new that looked approximately like the words on the side of the truck. These guys weren't necessarily dumb, but they were certainly uneducated.

But I don't know that this would suggest they couldn't understand the concept of sharrows. At least to the extent that they suggest to a driver that bicycles might well be using that street.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-30-23, 02:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I understand that this fallacy exists, but is there any evidence that it affects significant numbers of people's understandings of the significance of sharrows? I ride in some places where they are common, and I've never seen any evidence of this belief by drivers or riders regarding the notion that other roads were somehow closed to bicycles/
I'm surprised by the question, so let's turn it around for a moment. Is there any evidence that drivers know what sharrows mean? Even as a cyclist who's been active for 50+ years, very involved in advocacy for decades before I stopped, and should be tuned in, even I'm not sure what they mean. Yes, it's about shared road use, but do they mean a specific lane, or part of the road? Are we to ONLY ride in the marked area? What about in advance of a left? How do they change shared road use? Are they placed on roads deemed preferred for cyclists? Or, are they placed on roads with history of problems?

The fact is that, an all these years, as the markings proliferated, I've NEVER (not once) seen any effort by the various jurisdictions to explain the markings to the public. I guess we're supposed to be psychic.

Back to your question, no I don't know of any studies or evidence, except for the mentioned wife who didn't know, does she count?. So, in lieu of direct evidence let's simply connect the dots and extrapolate. We know about confirmation bias, and I assume you understand assumed converse, so let's overlay that with an estimate of the percentage of drivers who still believe that bikes don't belong on the road, or at least wish that that were true, and drive accordingly, and draw conclusions.

As I said in my post, I doubt that this is an issue with drivers who are generally bike friendly, and won't change their thinking. OTOH - it "confirms" the beliefs of bike unfriendly drivers who will assumed that sharrowed roads are the exception where bikes are allowed, otherwise why would we need them.

BTW- Over in The UK they just completed a study of driver road sign knowledge, and found that a staggering percentage of drivers didn't know what most graphic signs meant, including critical ones like "do not enter".

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-30-23, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm surprised by the question, so let's turn it around for a moment. Is there any evidence that drivers know what sharrows mean? Even as a cyclist who's been active for 50+ years, very involved in advocacy for decades before I stopped, and should be tuned in, even I'm not sure what they mean. Yes, it's about shared road use, but do they mean a specific lane, or part of the road? Are we to ONLY ride in the marked area? What about in advance of a left? How do they change shared road use? Are they placed on roads deemed preferred for cyclists? Or, are they placed on roads with history of problems?

The fact is that, an all these years, as the markings proliferated, I've NEVER (not once) seen any effort by the various jurisdictions to explain the markings to the public. I guess we're supposed to be psychic.

Back to your question, no I don't know of any studies or evidence, except for the mentioned wife who didn't know, does she count?. So, in lieu of direct evidence let's simply connect the dots and extrapolate. We know about confirmation bias, and I assume you understand assumed converse, so let's overlay that with an estimate of the percentage of drivers who still believe that bikes don't belong on the road, or at least wish that that were true, and drive accordingly, and draw conclusions.

As I said in my post, I doubt that this is an issue with drivers who are generally bike friendly, and won't change their thinking. OTOH - it "confirms" the beliefs of bike unfriendly drivers who will assumed that sharrowed roads are the exception where bikes are allowed, otherwise why would we need them.

BTW- Over in The UK they just completed a study of driver road sign knowledge, and found that a staggering percentage of drivers didn't know what most graphic signs meant, including critical ones like "do not enter".
I ride a fair amount of roads marked like this in the Boston area and as far as I know, no one seems confused by cyclists taking a position in the center of the lane or not. I take them as warnings to drivers and explicit permission to cyclists, and don't see how that's confusing at all. I'm also not seeing hostility when I ride on nearby streets without sharrows.

I can see arguing they're largely ineffective because too vague, but you guys are the ones claiming actual bad effects (rather specific ones), so I think that requires some burden of proof beyond "connect the dots and extrapolate". If they're actually discouraging use of other roads or causing confusiion among riders as to where to position, those are things which should be verifiable empirically.
Old 05-30-23, 04:44 PM
FBinNY 

.....I can see arguing they're largely ineffective because too vague, but you guys are the ones claiming actual bad effects (rather specific ones), so I think that requires some burden of proof beyond "connect the dots and extrapolate". .....
I'm not invested enough either way to bother debating, but like how you cleverly turn logic on it's head here. You start by acknowledging possible ineffectiveness, but then flip the burden of proof onto those who don't like them. Wouldn't it be more sensible to ask those who like them to show they make sense, and the benefits exceed potential drawbacks?

Maybe the FDA could adopt this logic and say all drugs are OK, until/unless they're proven dangerous or ineffective. Let's not debate this, it's purely rhetorical.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-30-23, 05:39 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
How do they change shared road use? Are they placed on roads deemed preferred for cyclists? Or, are they placed on roads with history of problems?
I'm not certain why they're placed where they are. In the city they seem to be placed to remove riders from the door zone or on streets where they want traffic to move slowly (around the university).

But perhaps most important, bicyclist accommodations are required here when a new road is built or an existing road is significantly upgraded, Sharrows are used on these roads (which is most of the places where they are seen) because they have to do something and sharrows are by far the cheapest option.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-30-23, 06:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 830 Posts
Shared lane markings did undergo an extensive experimental evaluation process before national adoption. The San Francisco study was one of the more extensive evaluations, and SLMs were also tested in other cities as well. A human factors survey was conducted as part of the SFO study to assess bicyclist and motor vehicle comprehension of the tested markings. Some cities did engage in education campaigns when SLMs were installed, but not all did so.
Old 05-30-23, 06:13 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

...and sharrows are by far the cheapest option.
From what I've seen, agencies are using shared lane markings in locations where there is notable bicycle demand or ridership, but current budgets and built environment don't allow for a different accommodation. For example, a built-up narrow street may be impossible to widen without destroying the neighborhood, but also serves a number of cyclist destinations and has lower travel speeds. Or it could be used where a roadway is intentionally kept narrow to encourage lower travel speeds.

A colleague of mine (John Ciccarelli) and I wrote an extensive discussion on how best to utilize shared lane markings for the second edition of the Traffic Control Devices Handbook published by the Institute of Transportation Engineers. However, this is covered by copyright and cannot be republished in full here.
Old 05-30-23, 06:27 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
… Wouldn't it be more sensible to ask those who like them to show they make sense, and the benefits exceed potential drawbacks?
RCMoeur cited at least one study (the one done here in san francisco twenty years ago) which has pretty clear conclusions - including that the average passing clearance (car passing bike) increased by two feet on roads with sharrows. bikes also moved away from parked cars, but by a much smaller amount. 8 inches or so.

I'm not certain why they're placed where they are. In the city they seem to be placed to remove riders from the door zone or on streets where they want traffic to move slowly (around the university).
i believe in most places they are placed on roads which are favorable to cycling as part of an urban network (low speeds, flat, direct, etc), but either due to right of way or funding constraints can’t have dedicated bike lanes. that’s certainly the way they’re used here, and san francisco has been painting the things on roads for decades.
Old 05-30-23, 06:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not invested enough either way to bother debating, but like how you cleverly turn logic on it's head here. You start by acknowledging possible ineffectiveness, but then flip the burden of proof onto those who don't like them. Wouldn't it be more sensible to ask those who like them to show they make sense, and the benefits exceed potential drawbacks?

Maybe the FDA could adopt this logic and say all drugs are OK, until/unless they're proven dangerous or ineffective. Let's not debate this, it's purely rhetorical.

Don't accuse me of bad logic, then tell me not to answer. "They do no good" and "they do harm" are very different claims requiring different burdens of proof.

Seriously, don't bring drug testing into this. I've actually studied it a bit and I really don't want to write a zillion words about all the things wrong with that analogy. Let "double-blind study" suffice, please.
Old 05-30-23, 06:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
love it, looks like 4' on either side
Old 05-30-23, 06:56 PM
FBinNY 

Don't accuse me of bad logic, then tell me not to answer. "They do no good" and "they do harm" are very different claims requiring different burdens of proof.
As I said, I'm not invested either way. I originally posted about assumed converse in response to Daihard's reference to his wife.

So, sorry, I simply won't get drawn into an argument about this.

That said, on this issue and many others, I'm more interested in encouraging people to broaden their outlook and think for themselves, and possibly introducing new or different ways of looking at things.

I mentioned confirmation bias earlier, and it's real and has infected just about everything, not only here, but throughout the political spectrum.

So, I feel a need to sometimes play devil's advocate, and combat some of the preaching to the choir here on BF. After all, this is a forum, not a church.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-30-23 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-30-23, 08:10 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

One of the important roles of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (NCUTCD) and its members is to ask hard questions about proposed devices and treatments. Is the sign, marking, signal, channelizer, or other device effective in its intended role? It it well understood by road users? Does it send unintended messages? Is it only effective or useful under limited conditions? Does it reduce one type of crash while raising the risks of other crashes? Those are just a few questions that might be raised - and members are encouraged to raise them. And these members are typically experienced practitioners, subject matter experts, or others who have learned what questions to ask. Although NCUTCD doesn't "own" the MUTCD (it's published by USDOT), the committee does try to provide good advice to USDOT / FHWA on nearly all of its content.

Activists and advocates frequently decry or dismiss NCUTCD's process and pace, saying it's "obsolete" or "inefficient". And sometimes devices are included or fast-tracked in the national manual "at the direction of the Secretary". But I think this deliberative and thorough process is important, as the end result is a US national standard that can exist for many decades, so it's advisable to give it a lot of scrutiny at the draft level instead of trying to amend it later.

See https://ncutcd.org/aboutus/ for more info on NCUTCD.

Repeating my disclosure: I served as the chair of the NCUTCD Bicycle Technical Committee from 2002-2017, and am currently under contract to run the day to day operations of the organization.
Old 05-31-23, 09:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I'm going to quote myself in the next few replies from another thread. They are a commentary of what a difference bike infrastructure, bike paths, bike lanes, sharrows, etc made/make in my life.

Background - I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Prostate Cancer, which is why I was commuting to BIDMC everyday for radiation treatments in 2021. I relapsed within a year of treatments, and now have Stage 4 Prostate Cancer. ONE of the side effects of treatments is brain fog. I was strongly advised not to drive or bike on roads. With a lot of rehab, I can drive short distances alone, and can ride short distances on *SOME* roads.

I was formerly "strong and fearless" (I hate that term).
I used to ride in the deep end all over Metro Boston.
I am unable now.
That is what life is like for a person with a disability.

Specifically on the sharrows:

I frequently rode on Oxford street before the sharrows, and continue to ride on it after the sharrows. They've made no difference in MY behavior (I always took the lane there), but I immediately noticed far more people on bikes riding in the center of the lane. They've also quieted the "drivers of motor vehicles" too. Another huge help later was another traffic control device, the speed limit was reduced to 25 mph. And there are speed tables at many intersections.

The sharrows through Harvard Square have made a HUGE difference in the behavior of "drivers of motor vehicles." (This is MA HOLE ground zero.)

The sharrows in Brookline are good, but fading. Biggest help is the one ways keep "drivers of motor vehicles" from cutting through, while the contra-bike lanes permit a passage for people on bikes. The sharrows seem to complement the contra-bike lanes.

Finally, some of the first studies on sharrows took place on Mass Ave in Cambridge. Professor Peter Furth of Northeastern invented the "sharrows on steroids."

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by mr_bill
So, still riding to and from BIDMC, already 1/3 way through treatment, though the BU Bridge is getting steeper with each passing week.

I come here to praise The Minuteman Bikeway, Alewife Linear Park, Somerville Community Path, and the Dr. Paul Dudley White Bikepath, plus the various simple changes made to streets that make connecting these possible for me.

Thank you Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, Boston, and Brookline.

The Minuteman Bikeway is where the journey starts, and I'm thrilled that a worker in a cherry picker recently fixed the RRFB (Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons) at the Mill Street crossing, though honestly most drivers still are oblivious:

I'm travelling mid-day, so I miss the sometimes chaos at this too small two stage bike queue box, but even with my lost marbles, I manage this block fine:

The new-ish signal at Lake helps a lot. I just wait, wait, and wait for the bike green, bobble head making sure all cross traffic has actually the ____ stopped, and then happily continue onward:

Now onto the beginning of Alewife Linear Park, this cantilever over Yates Pond is such a huge improvement over the "take the lane" (and it still is a sucky road surface) back in the day. One note, it's amazing how often drivers will preemptively stop for me. They see me from a long way back and just usually yield, even without the beg button, at least during off peak hours:

Heading around Russel Field. P.S. Love that they removed the stop signs at the Harvey Street dead end:

The crossing at Cameron Ave, the boundary between Cambridge and Somerville, and the boundary between Alewife Linear Park and Somerville Community Path:

And now, this surprised me. I expected to walk through Davis. But mid-day, with the on-street dining reducing this to a single lane, the drivers are calmed. It's so bad here it's really really good:

And ironically, once I turn off Holland onto Grove it gets hard with absolute nuts often racing to the stop sign, but it's a short street:

To be continued....

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-31-23, 09:51 AM
mr_bill

Part two:
So, I've been remiss on posting the rest of my journey.

Continued:

Amazing how often Blue Bikes docks are either filled or empty. Here at Cedar St. very empty:

However, that first block of Cedar St. was way uncomfortable, so after this ride I switched to Hancock to Spencer, even though that was a standing start climb up Cedar. Lesson learned:

When you can't road, the sanctuary of even plastic bollards is HUGE. Greatly reduced the need for constant "situational awareness" (which was my Achilles Heel):

The last leg of deep end was the one block of Mossland to Somerville Ave. In this case, I'm being shepherded by a street cleaner:

Oxford Street, "sharrows on steroids" and this segment downhill. Total sanctuary:

After a one block jog on Kirkland Street, the cut through in Harvard Square made this trek possible. One block of two-way Quincy Street was easy enough, then the two-way bike lane on One-way Quincy was wonderful:

Although it ran into the always red bike signal to continue on Quincy. Part of me cursed how they couldn't time this better. BUT, once green, no motor traffic behind me at all. Wonderful:

Leading to an easy crossing of Harvard St:

And an easy crossing of one way Mass Ave:

...continued...

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-31-23, 09:53 AM
mr_bill

Part three. (BTW, Kermit Green is wonderful, except while it is being applied. Boy that stuff smells.)

And then the wonderful Bow and DeWolfe St to get to Paul D. White Bike Path (John Weeks Bridge ahead):

Now, I wish I could say I can't believe how bad the Paul D. White Bike Path is on the Cambridge Side, but I've been watching this slowly die for years. I am eternally grateful that they didn't fix it now. But note the brand new surface to the left. Grrr:

In the rest of the enlightened world a bike lane over a bridge is not put on the crush side of a barrier, but still, this makes it easy to cross the BU Bridge. However, the BU Bridge got steeper and steeper during my radiation therapy:

Didn't love this crossing, though I did ride it to BIDMC but walked it coming home:

...continued...

-mr. bill
Old 05-31-23, 09:54 AM
mr_bill

Part four. (Oh, in the before times, this is not even close to how I would get there from here.)

On the other side of Com Ave entering Brookline, and their amazing sequence of one way general traffic but two way bike traffic at Essex and Ivy:

Carlton crossing Beacon:

Which turns into Colchester then Chapel (Longwood stop on the left):

Crossing Longwood stop on foot:

...continued...

-mr. bill
Old 05-31-23, 09:55 AM
mr_bill

Part five. (Stairs are why light bikes are nice.)

Through the park and about to enter Boston:

The Short Street Steps:

Crossing Riverway:

Thankfully Winsor School was quiet while I salmoned Short Street:

The very nice alley at Winsor School:

The longest wait ever to cross Brookline:

Finally on the BIDMC campus:

Walking to parking:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-31-23, 11:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

As I said, I'm not invested either way. I originally posted about assumed converse in response to Daihard's reference to his wife.

So, sorry, I simply won't get drawn into an argument about this.

That said, on this issue and many others, I'm more interested in encouraging people to broaden their outlook and think for themselves, and possibly introducing new or different ways of looking at things.

I mentioned confirmation bias earlier, and it's real and has infected just about everything, not only here, but throughout the political spectrum.

So, I feel a need to sometimes play devil's advocate, and combat some of the preaching to the choir here on BF. After all, this is a forum, not a church.
You have mastered a peculiar form of argument that runs something like this:

1. Statement that you are not arguing the point.
2. Argument about the point, usually coupled with statement about why the person who was discussing the point is from some other planet and/or illogical
3. Statement that you're not actually arguing, but "just sayin'" and telling the other person not to react.

I'm so-so at best on sharrows, I suspect they're just slightly better than nothing, and can be implemented well in some places and horribly in others, but I'll be damned if I can spot anyone here being a pro-sharrow "choir" I do think that people who make strong factual claims to support their preferences should expect people to challenge them to prove those claims, whether those claims are pro or con sharrows..

BTW, I think it's possible that people will view something as proof of confirmation bias just because they expect to find confirmation bias. How's that for meta?
Old 05-31-23, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Specifically on the sharrows:

I frequently rode on Oxford street before the sharrows, and continue to ride on it after the sharrows. They've made no difference in MY behavior (I always took the lane there), but I immediately noticed far more people on bikes riding in the center of the lane. They've also quieted the "drivers of motor vehicles" too. Another huge help later was another traffic control device, the speed limit was reduced to 25 mph. And there are speed tables at many intersections.

The sharrows through Harvard Square have made a HUGE difference in the behavior of "drivers of motor vehicles." (This is MA HOLE ground zero.)

The sharrows in Brookline are good, but fading. Biggest help is the one ways keep "drivers of motor vehicles" from cutting through, while the contra-bike lanes permit a passage for people on bikes. The sharrows seem to complement the contra-bike lanes.

Finally, some of the first studies on sharrows took place on Mass Ave in Cambridge. Professor Peter Furth of Northeastern invented the "sharrows on steroids."

-mr. bill
Yeah, this is why I'm not as cynical about sharrows as many of the posters here, because many of the ones in the Boston environs have really been well-implemented and seem to be doing some good. I'm not an enthusiast generally only because most implementations I've come across elsewhere seem ineffective at best.

I've driven, ridden and walked/public transit in most of the areas in your photos, and driving is, by far, the most difficult alternative there.

Rode on the Minuteman Sunday, and had kind thoughts for you. Had a great lunch at the Classic Cafe in Arlington Heights.

Excelsior, sir!
Old 05-31-23, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Breaking in my new (4-days old) Surly Lowside in my urban landscape (NOLA) i came across this sharrow indicating that bikes should take the lane. Never seen any exactly like this before. Royal Street just East of the French Quarter.

Enjoy

Maybe we should pivot this thread back to the photo in the OP. To me, this looks like very sensible signage, indicating that the bikes should not be expected to ride in the door zone(s) nor expected to facilitate a car's pass of them. In my area, I would find it unusual that such a narrow one-way street would have parking on both sides..
Old 05-31-23, 12:49 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

There were a lot of people involved in the development of the shared lane marking. The original "bike in a house" shared lane marking concept originated with James Mackay in Denver in the 1990s. The early 2000s shared lane marking tests in Cambridge used a variety of markings (Cara Seiderman used to be a friend of mine and we consulted frequently on the issue.) It's my recollection that the MUTCD SLM design (AKA "Corporal Bike") arose from Alta's work on the the San Francisco study, although Cambridge used it in later installations. Long Beach CA was to my knowledge the first use of the continuous green marking with SLMs, and the recent Interim Approval on green pavement in bike lanes does not extend to green backgrounds for shared lane markings - even though a number of agencies do it anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.