Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anybody powering Di2 unit with dynamo hub?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anybody powering Di2 unit with dynamo hub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 12:07 PM
daveeasa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hire an electrician [IBEW], to put an electric, mains outlet, up where you hang your bike.

I actually do have power right there, from the old garage openers which are now side-mounted. The thought had crossed my mind to use it, however, climbing up a stool to plug it in or dealing with a hanging cord doesn't appeal all that much to me.

I think the concept here is to be off the grid / self sufficient, purely for want rather than need. If you think that's stupid then I don't disagree with you, however it's mostly a pure thought experiment at this point, with perhaps some tinkering to observe current possibilities.

If you start to think of a bicycle as human powered transportation it becomes a very unique tool. Dynamo lighting is a huge step forward in that regard. Electronic shifting has several advantages over mechanical (shift from multiple hand positions, no cable stretch, automated setup, auto front derailleur trim, etc). It seems perfectly natural to want a fully automated electronic shifting system which does not require external input. I can't really explain the peace of mind I had when I switched from battery powered lighting to dynamo, all of a sudden I could rely on my bike to get me home regardless of what I remembered or did not remember to do earlier in the day.
Old 11-30-16, 01:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IMO went a step too far then ... go back to Mechanical shifting ..

My Upgrade was a Rohloff hub bike @ 69, I got over the need for speed 30+ years ago..

IT has a Dyno Hub But just for Lights ..

I was not let into the Tech world .. Except for the peripheral Jobs, on A Nuclear Ballistic Missile submarine 48 years ago..

Old 02-02-22, 03:31 AM
melric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motorapido
What I propose makes no practical sense if outback touring reliability is the highest objective. I realize that. I just become obsessed with new gear and modifying things and trying setups that haven't been done. I went through a lengthy phase of modifying early 1960s Vespas into very quick kitted street screamers with all manner of modification go-fast parts. I did the same with other vintage two-stroke motorcycles, including amassing my own metal shop to lathe and mill and cast and machine custom parts if I could not find the parts that I wanted. It makes no sense at all, but is sure is fun.

Powering a Di2 battery with USB output from a dynamo hub seems far less useless and far more reliable than my old two-stroke engine modification obsession. So I am seriously considering it.
Did you get anywhere with this? I am coming to the realization that dynamo hubs are great for lights, but not so great for device charging. If there's a way to utilize some of that spare power during the day, by feeding it to something less demanding than a GPS or phone, I'd be well up for that.