Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Protecting aluminium bike parts from oxidation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 07:49 AM
daviddt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am restoring an old bike from the 80s. I have sanded and polished aluminum parts to the shine, and removed rust. How can I protect these parts from further oxidation? I was looking at eloxation of aluminium, but this parts on the bike are old, and and parts could be actualy mixed with other materials, so eloxation is risky.

Has anyone else stumbled upon this problem of protecting aluminum from oxidation?
Old 02-06-24, 08:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
A simple application of a wax based polishing compound or Carnuba ought to do the trick. Mother's Aluminum and Magnesium Polish is available from the accessories and detailing section of your local auto parts store.

There are other polishes that wipe away clean. Never-Dull or maybe even Barkeeper's friend "polish" by chemical action with the top layer of atoms leaving a raw, bare item. I'd personally stay away from those. The raw surface will be eager to react with the environment.

The idea behind wax is to permeate the pores of the material blocking infiltration of oxygen and/other electrolytes that would facilitate reactivity. It's normal and expected to periodically refresh wax based polishes with elbow grease on an "as needed" basis.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-06-24, 08:10 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Concur with the Mothers Mag suggestion. It works really well. It may take several re-applications and buffing to get some ingrained blemishes out…but you can get aluminum and alloy components really shiny. It’s a white paste, and as you begin to buff it turns black…I guess because of the oxidation.

https://mothers.com/products/mag-and...m-polish-05101

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 02-06-24, 01:52 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Concur with the Mothers Mag suggestion. It works really well. It may take several re-applications and buffing to get some ingrained blemishes out…but you can get aluminum and alloy components really shiny. It’s a white paste, and as you begin to buff it turns black…I guess because of the oxidation.

https://mothers.com/products/mag-and...m-polish-05101

Dan
my weapon of choice too.
Old 02-07-24, 02:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddt
I was looking at eloxation of aluminium, but this parts on the bike are old, and and parts could be actualy mixed with other materials, so eloxation is risky.
I was going to suggest anodization until I looked up "eloxation". Chemistry is hard enough without multiple names for the same reaction.
Old 02-08-24, 01:19 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know if this helps but interestingly enough there is a guy on youtube (bikefarmer). He uses furniture polish on the bikes and / sometimes will use a light sheen of oil to keep parts looking good. this would, of course, still require re-application / maintenance...
Old 02-08-24, 01:46 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddt
Has anyone else stumbled upon this problem of protecting aluminum from oxidation?
No, I don't have much of a problem with this. Almost all my vintage Cinelli stems and bar sleeves have been deanodized and polished. I use Mother's polish as a last step. They seldom need any attention. But when they do form spotting, I simply reapply a tiny amount of Mother's. I don't ride in the rain.

None of my seatposts were initially anodized, but most of them too were sanded and polished. For some reason, they spot up more than any other polished component. And again, it just takes a little bit of Mother's and a few seconds time to remove the spotting, which I do maybe once every couple of months.
Old 02-11-24, 07:06 AM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
Although not mainstream, I experimented in my position as a Marine tech on weathered Carbon fiber AND refinished aluminum with glossy floor polish coating.

it goes on easily with rag or sponge and dries to leave a protective water-resistant coating.

I cleaned a set of aluminum rims and non-ss spokes (from the galvanizing) and then applied liberally; they feel smooth to the touch and wipe off nicely.

Another tip for your toolbox of solutions.
Old 02-11-24, 08:37 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
As long as you're not in a really humid environment with dissimilar metals aluminum doesn't need much. After being worked/exposed it forms its own protective coating (aluminum oxide).
Likes For axelwik:
Old 02-17-24, 02:57 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Clear lacquer spray will block the oxygen in the air and prevent oxidation of the metal.
Old 02-17-24, 07:20 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
I could be remembering this wrong, but it is my understanding that unless you work the metal in an oxygen-free environment, and then completely seal the surfaces in that environment before exposing it to oxygen, you cannot prevent the surface of raw aluminum from oxidizing on contact with oxygen. As soon as it is exposed, the surface forms aluminum oxide. However, that is the end of it on a sound part (no cracks) - it doesn’t continue to eat into the material, like iron oxide (rust that forms on steel or iron) will usually do.
Old 02-17-24, 08:21 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
None of my seatposts were initially anodized, but most of them too were sanded and polished. For some reason, they spot up more than any other polished component.
Are you a triathlete?

Old 02-17-24, 08:51 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Are you a triathlete?
Yeah, I don't understand why that is happening. I touch the bar sleeve and stem waaaay more often. It's a curious thing but not any big deal.
Old 02-19-24, 02:29 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I have some vintage Specialized hubs that were never anodized to begin with. I hadn't thought about using metal polish on them, but my idea of a metal polish was basically from my years ago using Brasso. I wanted to polish some other non-cycling things and looked up all the various metal polishes there are these days.... LOTS !.... and decided to get some Blue Magic as it seemed to get good results for a reasonable price. The ammonia smell is notable, but darned if it isn't effective ! So of course I then had to try it out on some bike parts that weren't anodized like DT shifters, some Campy seatposts and Specialized hubs from the 80's. Blue Magic is advertised as "cleans, shines and protects", and my application has confirmed that. I polished the Specialized front hub on a wheel I ride every day in season and I was expecting the shine to wear off quickly, but it's been over six months and it still sparkles in the Sunshine, so I'm happy.
Old 02-19-24, 06:56 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Two options:
~Clear powder coating (expensive, but permanent)
~Honda spray applied twice a year (cheap, but labor-intensive)

Old 02-19-24, 10:29 AM
pppittpeter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'm in the middle of restoring this cool 80s bike, polished up the aluminum parts to a shine, got rid of rust, but now I'm scratching my head about protecting them from more oxidation.

i was eyeing aluminum anodizing, but since these parts are old and might be a mix of materials, it feels kinda risky. Anybody else run into this? What's the secret sauce for keeping that vintage aluminum looking fresh without taking a gamble on anodizing?
Old 02-23-24, 10:22 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by pppittpeter
i'm in the middle of restoring this cool 80s bike, polished up the aluminum parts to a shine, got rid of rust, but now I'm scratching my head about protecting them from more oxidation.

i was eyeing aluminum anodizing, but since these parts are old and might be a mix of materials, it feels kinda risky. Anybody else run into this? What's the secret sauce for keeping that vintage aluminum looking fresh without taking a gamble on anodizing?

once you’ve got them polished, maintaining it is a lot easier than restoring; Mothers’ mag wheel polish (the paste style that comes in a jar) gives good results without a huge effort and provides a small measure of protection as-is.
Renewing it a couple times per year only takes a few minutes.
Hot Rod guys will often wax their chrome instead of clear coating it; once you seal it, you will have to strip it off to deal with scuffs, scratches or contamination.
Old 03-02-24, 04:03 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Try Renaissance Wax. Micro-crystalline structure. Works well and is easy on and off.
Likes For Bill in VA: