Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

No Lycra

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 02:16 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
No Lycra

Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 12-01-23, 02:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Does he say anything about Lycra? I skimmed through some of the video and looked at the chapter labels; nothing about Lycra in the parts that I looked at.

I was a bit embarrassed for him in his discussion of "standards." He apparently doesn't know about the period when bikes came in a variety of threading standards (British, French, Italian, Swiss, Whitworth), front and rear over-locknut dimensions, bottom bracket widths, etc.

Speaking of Lycra:

Grant Petersen once conducted an interview with Maynard Hershon, a longtime writer, particularly about bicycles and motorcycles, and one of Grant's mentors, in which he asked what Hershon considered the most important innovation in the world of bicycles in recent decades. Hershon immediately replied, "Lycra shorts."

Grant said, "You must not have tried a pair of Kucharik wool shorts. They're wonderful."

Some backing-and-forthing ensued, ending with:

Grant: "You really need to try the Kucharik shorts. I'll send you a pair."

Maynard: "I love you, Grant. Please don't send me any wool shorts."
Old 12-01-23, 04:34 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
No, he doesn't mention Lycra, either as something to miss, or as something to NOT miss.

As for standards, national standards were replaced (or absorbed by) international standards. The point is that there ARE standards, but they are often not followed by manufacturers today, and so will likely present problems down the road.
Old 12-01-23, 05:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I have a pair of wool shorts. I only wear them for Eroica and Cino type events - as the kids say, it's "cosplay." They're not really bad, but washing them is a pain in the butt compared to lycra with synthetic chamois. They tend to sag by the end of a long ride. I switched to lycra over 4 decades ago and never looked back.
Old 12-01-23, 05:45 PM
SurferRosa
seņor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
"One of the reasons rim brakes are disappearing is because tires are getting too fat for them. Why are tires getting too fat? Because frames are becoming too stiff. It's a vicious circle. With steel, there was enough comfort in the frame itself that you didn't need balloon tires."
Old 12-01-23, 06:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Pretty sure 'Lycra' alluded to a recent (un)popular thread. Well-placed troll imo.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-01-23, 06:59 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
I've watched this video before, and while it's true that he's not a fanatic like us here and does get a few things incorrect, it's generally on point.

I do wonder who was the first marketer to start disemminating the annoying white lie about disc brakes allowing larger tires where rim brakes cannot. It has proven to be extremely persuasive/pervasive in the cycling community.
Likes For Piff:
Old 12-01-23, 07:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"One of the reasons rim brakes are disappearing is because tires are getting too fat for them. Why are tires getting too fat? Because frames are becoming too stiff. It's a vicious circle. With steel, there was enough comfort in the frame itself that you didn't need balloon tires."
Given that clear and unassailable logic, why has the sport has completely abandoned these so called comfortable frames from days of yore. As prices for vintage examples of bicycles continue to drop yet top tier mechanical watches, cameras and audiophile equipment prices are still climbing also needs explanation if these vintage bicycles products are so superior.
Old 12-01-23, 07:09 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Given that clear and unassailable logic, why has the sport has completely abandoned these so called comfortable frames from days of yore. As prices for vintage examples of bicycles continue to drop yet top tier mechanical watches, cameras and audiophile equipment prices are still climbing also needs explanation if these vintage bicycles products are so superior.
Still trolling I see. Nice! You gotta be you.
Old 12-01-23, 07:10 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Sorry, Atlas Shrugged , could you clarify, are you saying that the fact that vintage mechanical watches, film cameras, and audiophile equipment continue to climb in price as proof of their objective quality versus modern stuff? And that since the price of vintage bikes are dropping they aren't matching the same quality as modern bikes?

If so...come now, you're losing your touch, I've seen you troll much better before.
Old 12-01-23, 07:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Still trolling I see. Nice! You gotta be you.
Originally Posted by Piff
Sorry, Atlas Shrugged , could you clarify, are you saying that the fact that vintage mechanical watches, film cameras, and audiophile equipment continue to climb in price as proof of their objective quality versus modern stuff? And that since the price of vintage bikes are dropping they aren't matching the same quality as modern bikes?

If so...come now, you're losing your touch, I've seen you troll much better before.
Come on, another Lycra thread so soon after the last gong show and throw in the unsolicited and off topic long disproven worn out trope of vintage steel comfort. I couldn’t help myself.

Get out there have some fun and enjoy the weekend!

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 12-01-23 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-01-23, 07:25 PM
SurferRosa
seņor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
why has the sport has completely abandoned these so called comfortable frames?
Weight savings. And people eat what they're fed. And people don't care what they eat.

Prices for vintage bicycles continue to drop, yet top tier mechanical watches, cameras and audio prices are still climbing.
I don't analyze the macro economic forces of these industries like you do, but I would guess the answer lies simply with supply and demand. The millions of beautiful bikes from the bike boom have lasted and will last generations. People generally have no idea how or why a bike from 1972 can look and function like it's brand new. And who even rides a bike?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-01-23, 07:30 PM
iab

Originally Posted by gugie
I have a pair of wool shorts. I only wear them for Eroica and Cino type events - as the kids say, it's "cosplay." They're not really bad, but washing them is a pain in the butt compared to lycra with synthetic chamois. They tend to sag by the end of a long ride. I switched to lycra over 4 decades ago and never looked back.
I have a pair of Ibex wool shorts with a modern pad. They are quite nice, too bad they went belly up.
Old 12-01-23, 07:34 PM
iab

Get out there have some fun and enjoy the weekend!
35 and raining here. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-01-23, 07:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I have a pair of Ibex wool shorts with a modern pad. They are quite nice, too bad they went belly up.
I have a pair of Ibex wool knickers, they were my go-to winter shorts, but I wear lycra underneath. They're falling apart. Meanwhile, the Plumline knickers I have from when I was a sales rep in the 80's are still working quite well. They're made of Cordura lycra, tough stuff.
Old 12-01-23, 07:45 PM
iab

Weight savings. And people eat what they're fed. And people don't care what they eat.
lI don't buy that. I have ridden plenty of comfortable crabon bikes. And I have a steel bike that comes in at 7.0kg and it easily can get to UCI 6.9.
Old 12-01-23, 08:22 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Originally Posted by gugie
I have a pair of Ibex wool knickers, they were my go-to winter shorts, but I wear lycra underneath. They're falling apart. Meanwhile, the Plumline knickers I have from when I was a sales rep in the 80's are still working quite well. They're made of Cordura lycra, tough stuff.
In spite of being a dyed-in-the-wool lycra guy I have a pair of Ibex knickers and like them a lot, a world of difference from the wool shorts I wore in the seventies. I never felt the need for lycra under them. Maybe I'm just callous.

On a related note a letter to the editor of the Santa Cruz Sentinel, back in the days when we wore black wool shorts, black wool arm warmers, and black wool leg warmers, asked "who are these people riding around town in black pajamas?"
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-02-23, 04:55 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Old 12-02-23, 07:53 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
A whole lot to agree with in that video.
Old 12-02-23, 09:36 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
It was supposed to be a joke.

Clearly, I should have known better.

Wet and sorta nasty here in NorCal this AM. Looks like the market run today will be on the low pressure fat tire Fantom CX. With denim over the lycra JIC