Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V pics that make me feel guilty for not riding in the current weather conditions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V pics that make me feel guilty for not riding in the current weather conditions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 10:53 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Johan Van de Velde, 1988 Giro d'Italia...yeah the same one as the famous Andy Hampsten photo. Except Johan opted for short sleeves and knicks

Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-18-24, 11:37 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
I stopped riding in the winter quite a few years ago because of how lethal the road salt products are to steel frames and components. The "brine" used to pre-treat the roads is particularly bad, but the general salt they use during and after the storms is also quite bad. These products are somewhat water resistant and require a thorough cleaning by hand with soap and water each time they get on stuff. If you don't clean them off, the rust starts up quickly. I have enough work cleaning them off my Jeep, let alone vintage bikes too.
This is the conclusion I've come to this winter. I usually buy a cheap bike for winter commuting and sell/give it away in the spring. I do a pretty good job of getting the salt off, but it's a lot of work and the negative temps in the last week were very discouraging for bike cleaning. So, looks like I'll be using our bike share program here this winter. Let somebody else worry about the maintenance.
Old 01-18-24, 12:53 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Those guys were getting paid to do it. I ain't.

SP
Newport OR
...where the first ice storm in 40+ years is over!
Hampsten spoke (and rode) at the first two Paso Robles Eroicas. (and maybe others as well). At the dinner at, I believe, the first one, he was being interviewed in front of the crowd and was asked how he was able to make up and over the Gavia that day. His first words were: "Well I was being paid . . . ."
Old 01-18-24, 01:04 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
It would be tough riding today in Oregon City! This is my driveway this morning.

What even is that? I doubt the Weather Service here has a code to describe it.

The Gods came out last night with brushes and rollers. Applied ice over everything, 1/8-1/2" thick in my neighborhood. (SW Portland) Turned up the temps enough that studded crampons tear through the ice. Walking down my driveway, I slid 2-6" every step wearing them. Yesterday on the cold stuff (teens temps) I could go anywhere on them. Today is a day to be 50 years younger. Or more. The kids are having fun.
Oh, my 8YO self would have had all kinds of misadventures. On purpose! Today, I'd either bunker inside or get into unintentional misadventure. Can ambulances travel over ice? :-0

I appreciate it's no picnic and has become progressively worse in some areas. A gallery from a different forum shows one unlucky person's trees expiring in front of his eyes.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thre...-post-67479347
Old 01-18-24, 07:08 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Big fat English roadsters with studs work well as they have a low centre of gravity and their slack geometry allow your legs to act as stabilizers when you lose it on ice. I've posted these pics before. The first is the late 90's and then as the bike is today. Post-war Hercules.

Likes For clubman:
Old 01-19-24, 09:16 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
A couple of days ago (when road conditions warranted) I tried to fit 700 x 35mm studded tires to my 1950 Lenton Tourist. Front clearance with fender is fine, but rear is a no go, particularly at the brake bridge. It would work without a fender, but that would kind of defeat the point of using it as a commuter.