Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 08:05 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by litesleeper
What is your bike mileage per week?

Any food you avoid?

I'm at 188. I want to be in the 150-170 range by October or November for a marathon this year.
Bike mileage: not that much, really. The workout today focused on back and biceps, though.

Food to avoid? Anything sugary and salty, and less grains than I used to eat.

Mentioned my weights a couple posts back. I'm not sure how much muscle I'd have to lose again to get in the 170's. Still can't believe I was fifty pounds heavier less than three years ago, either. I've carried my luggage at around 35 pounds up and down stairs and am surprised (and embarrassed, honestly) that I was lugging around more extra mass than that everywhere every day.
Old 05-21-12, 10:49 AM
indaclds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New on WW and have questions!!!

Hey guys I'm new to the forum so forgive me if there is a better place or way to post this question:

I just started WW about two weeks ago. I am using only my daily allowed points (38), I am not using the weekly 49. I have been biking pretty heavy since I started. I lost 3 pounds the first week and gained 2 of them back the second week. I assure you I am not cheating... This week I biked just under 100 miles at an average of 16 MPH on basically flat terrain but it is on limestone path not pavement so the resistance is a bit higher. Needless to say I earned a butt load of activity points for the week (72) and only used about 20 of them in daily food swaps and only used those on days I biked longer than an hour.

I would like those of you who have been on WW longer to let me know what I should be aware of. I am 5'8, 185 and plan on continuing to bike at 100 miles per week for the summer. I'm not sure my 38 points a day is enough to sustain that activity level.

thoughts?
Old 05-24-12, 03:09 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indaclds
Hey guys I'm new to the forum so forgive me if there is a better place or way to post this question:

I just started WW about two weeks ago.
thoughts?
You may have a better shot at responses by starting a new thread, but hey, I've got a couple guesses --

You're just starting. You should be seeing a pattern in the next three weeks or so.

I don't know exactly what you're doing before each weigh-in, but try to be consistent. I only pay attention to the scale first thing in the morning after I've used the bathroom. If you ate a salty, sugary meal the night before, you're going to retain water and come in heavier, even though you may not have gained any fat at all.

There's an outside chance you may be under-eating. A hundred miles a week -- in your case, a little less than two hours a day -- is nothing to sneeze at. One online calculator I check estimates that you'd be burning around 1500 calories per ride, and although the actual value might be less (say, 800-900), that's still a meal's worth. I don't know how big your meals are, though, because I've never done WW and have no idea what 38 daily points will put on the table.
https://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/

Over time, like the next couple months, pay equal attention to the scale (I usually weigh myself every morning) and to how your clothes fit. As one example, my wife's weight has stabilized, but some of her clothes are fitting differently than before -- what used to be tight has become comfortable.

If all of this works well for you, start budgeting for a new wardrobe. I can't wear anything that I wore three years ago because it's all too big now.
Old 06-08-12, 05:36 AM
phase1lifestyle

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 2012 black and white

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions for a pre workout drink or healthy alternative to my excess of coffee in the am. I am not one to put much food in tummy before a workout it doesnt work for me but need some advice on a good energy option to fuel up y body. Goal lose 15lbs of access fat. My muscles want to be seeeeen!
Old 06-08-12, 06:43 AM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phase1lifestyle
Any suggestions for a pre workout drink or healthy alternative to my excess of coffee in the am. I am not one to put much food in tummy before a workout it doesnt work for me but need some advice on a good energy option to fuel up y body. Goal lose 15lbs of access fat. My muscles want to be seeeeen!
Your metabolism doesn't start until you start eating, so I would try and eat even something small in the morning. I used to have a super bad coffee habit, and I have started to slowly wean myself off, I'm down to one travel mug per day. I supplement with a lot of water, which seems to get my energy going. Before a workout ( like, 1 hr before) I try to eat a small carb/protein snack and post workout make myself a protein shake to help repair the damage. Works pretty well for me
Old 06-08-12, 08:00 PM
phase1lifestyle

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 2012 black and white

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJCB
Your metabolism doesn't start until you start eating, so I would try and eat even something small in the morning. I used to have a super bad coffee habit, and I have started to slowly wean myself off, I'm down to one travel mug per day. I supplement with a lot of water, which seems to get my energy going. Before a workout ( like, 1 hr before) I try to eat a small carb/protein snack and post workout make myself a protein shake to help repair the damage. Works pretty well for me
Thanks for the info. I usually don't eat anything before i workout because I drink about a half pot of coffee and the creamer i add has calories and they add up. I do agree with supplementing most of the coffee with a protein bar/carb Will try it. If you want change you gotta do something different this may help. I need more sleep too!
Old 06-18-12, 10:17 AM
crowls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soni_guin,
Absolutely awesome story. I only recently started riding again and finding it hard. 50lbs in 6months and able to ride 30mile plus regularly is a great result. Look forward to hearing more about your rides.
Crowls
Old 07-16-12, 02:02 PM
anilyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still consider myself a total n00b when it comes to cycling. I have signed up for the California International Marathon in December & training for the same.

I'm 5'5" and weigh around 160 pounds. The target is to get to 130 by the end of the year!
Old 08-08-12, 11:55 AM
bgary

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V-700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut out sugar, beer and junk food, and most starch. I've shed 16 lbs in 4 weeks, though from what I understand, a lot of that is water, glycogen, and less food in the gut. Still a long way to go, BMI is still over 30.

It's nice to lose weight without being hungry and without exercise. I'm not riding to lose weight, riding just makes me eat more. I'm losing weight so I can enjoy things like riding again. I miss bread and spuds, but I can live without them. Besides the weight loss, my blood pressure is down to 120/80. I haven't tested yet, but I'm sure my blood glucose and triglycerides are down, too. Going on 54, need to keep an eye on those things.

Update: Fasting blood glucose = 77

Last edited by bgary; 08-09-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 01:33 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just happened across this stickied thread a couple of days ago and it inspired me, more than i already was, to loose weight. i'm 5'5" and 220, my goal is to drop 50 lb. by x-mas. granted, that would still leave me as over weight for my height, but not nearly as much as i am now. i've taken a few steps in the right direction, such as not eating after 9 pm and eating healthier foods (i've been eating a veggie wrap for lunch the last couple days, and mostly quit drinking pop).

i have also taken up a loose exercise "program" consisting of push-ups and sit ups combined with random exercise programs from the mediacom on demand mag-rack fitness section.

Last edited by mr geeker; 08-13-12 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 07:36 PM
Garzaci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phase1lifestyle
2 hours before workout make a protein shake with 1 serving of whey, uncooked plain oatmeal, 1 banana and water or low fat milk. Just throw it it all in a blender until smooth. I also put Greek yogurt in mine for the extra protein. The whey and milk give you protein and the oatmeal gives you much needed carbs without the sugar in others. The banana helps with potassium levels. 30 minutes before workout then drink a cup of coffee or take a preworkout suuplement such as 1MR or C4. These will boost your caffein levels which are awesome energy supplements before a workout. The 1MR and C4 have the added benefit of arginine which is an amino acid that helps expan your blood vessels spreading up the delivery of oxygen and nutrients. if you feel a tingling or itching sensation it's just the. Niacin working through your body which also helps with circulation.
Old 08-17-12, 11:01 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was 220, now 215. 45lbs to go!

i learned everything i needed to do from this thread.
Old 08-18-12, 10:43 AM
rvk5150

Bikes: Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Osprey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late to this game...to keep it short I was about 215 after returning from our vacation to Jamaica; beforehand I had just returned to cycling and convinced my wife to get into it (now because my daughter rides and she was jealous)!

I am riding almost every day but at a minimum of 5 days per week...another thing that we do for natural dieting is to use www.myfitnesspal.com to track and such. It is a free site where you put in the information and track all you eat, exercise, etc and it keeps you on a plan to lose (granted you stick to it and report honestly). I must say having that (we are also linked to many friends) helps as much and I am proud to say that as of last week I was 199.5 and my weekly weigh in is tomorrow morning; I cannot wait.
Old 08-23-12, 05:21 PM
CharlieFoxtrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lost 50 pounds and for the past three months have been kind of stuck. I got a bike about a month ago to help lose some more weight and I have rode about 175 miles on it. Still no results. I stay away from fast food and sweets.
Old 09-02-12, 06:52 PM
Anthoswart

Bikes: Raleigh triathlon 1985 (yellow), Raleigh Eclipse 89, Diamant .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 90 kilo before I got married then I went up to 118. I stayed there for a few months, drinking beer and sitting in an office all day (and not having a road bike). Then I started riding with a friend after buying a road bike, now Im back down to 107. When I hit 100 again I will be pretty impressed. I wanna get back to 90 kg though. I did London- Berlin and back in 2010 on my own with a tent on the bike. Lost about 18lb in 10 days riding 100 miles a day. I have never watched what I eat, even when I was a whippet in my teens I would be eating anything and drinking beer to excess. By christmas I wanna be 100kg, I think it's pretty reasonable in terms of the expectations.
Ill keep you posted....great thread
Old 01-19-13, 11:21 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16 lbs last month. Just cut out most animal protein, switched to eating almonds as junk food instead of candy bars, almond milk instead of cow milk, and I've been WAY more consistent on riding now that I have an indoor trainer.
Old 01-20-13, 12:23 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Started year at 226, 221 as of today. 40 to go.
Old 01-26-13, 05:00 PM
jm85

Bikes: Schwinn Trailway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always been an overweight guy.

I was a fat kid, which turned into a fat adult. I got to my heaviest at 310. I then decided to do something about and started going to the gym and eating properly. The gym worked well for a while, but eventually I wanted to be out exercising. I bought a Mongoose mountainbike and started riding it. The weight was basically falling off of me, and I rode the bike until it fell apart. I purchased a 2nd bike, a Schwinn Trailway hybrid, and continued riding (30 miles a day 2-4 times a week). I dropped 70 pounds over the course of about a year to a year and a half. I was down to 240 and feeling great... Then I started to slack and lose my drive. Over the past year I've remained active and still bike, but not as much as I was, and have slowly packed on 30 pounds. I sit between 270-275 and I am ready to get back into it. With an initial goal of 200lbs and an eventual goal of 180lbs, I think that over the next year it's time to try and drop another 70lbs.

I start on Monday getting back into kettlebell training and running again (it's a bit snowy to try riding in Michigan),
Old 01-28-13, 09:38 PM
youcoming

220 another pound gone, still 40 to go.
Old 02-12-13, 02:26 AM
youcoming

Old 02-19-13, 11:21 AM
youcoming

Now at 214, 34 to go, hope I can keep my minus two pounds per week as the last three have been.
Old 03-01-13, 10:48 AM
youcoming

Crap back to 216.
Old 03-06-13, 02:14 PM
youcoming

Old 03-11-13, 09:24 PM
youcoming

Old 03-11-13, 11:22 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think I lost two pounds due to a #2 yesterday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.