Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Witness Marks Spoke Holes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 07:48 PM
Ebedeley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Apologies if this seems like a silly post.
I had this hub laced before and it had some deep witness marks that were showing on this build. To my chagrin, I'm hung up on aesthetics . . . badly. I thought it would've been a good idea to dremel those scars, but it seems that was a big 'oof'. Guess I don't have that great an imagination. How would you go about polishing this so it dosen't become worse? Or would anyone want commission work?
Edit: Realized I cant attach photos.

Last edited by Ebedeley; 04-27-21 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
The usual is to match the spoke bedding marks on the flange with the new lacing, pattern and spoke radiating directions. This both hides the old flange wear somewhat and decreases the flange from getting even more "stressed out". We can't see how much spoke wear the flange had of how much material removal you've done (or I think you've done, the post was a bit les then specific in this regard). in another post you can include photos. they would help us understand your situation far better.

As to polishing- that will be dependent of what was done and how much. Polishing doesn't really remove much material beyond the lowest feature. polishing done well will reduce surface stress risers but also reduce ultimate strength. Andy
Old 04-27-21, 08:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The admin frowns of filler posts that add nothing to the story but try to end run around the goal of a discussion with each post contributing. Andy
Old 04-27-21, 08:20 PM
Ebedeley

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The admin frowns of filler posts that add nothing to the story but try to end run around the goal of a discussion with each post contributing. Andy
Sorry. I dislike that I am doing this myself.
The system says I can't attach a photo unless I have 10 posts. I am new as of today, and have been inactive for a few years, so a bit thrown off why my post 'counter' was reset. I do wish to attach a photo of my hub. Apologies for spamming this way.
Old 04-27-21, 08:23 PM
Ebedeley

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally I can visually show you what I have done. Sorry about the earlier post, a crummy workaround to that limitation.
I had Dremeled the witness marks that were deeply gouged, but I imagined it to have turned out differently.
Old 04-27-21, 09:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I can see why you want to save that hub. Mu suggestion is to keep the spoke tension on the lower end of acceptable range to limit future stress. Ride it and monitor it periodically. Andy
Old 04-28-21, 05:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
using your dremel with a cotton attachment drum & a medium grit rubbing compound, work the surface carefully at a low RPM speed. Once the surface is "uniform" looking, wipe up as much of the compound & apply finishing polish to the surface while using the low RPM dremel speed. After you've achieved the aesthetically pleasing surface finish, clean up the surface from both products previously applied & apply detailing wax by hand. After working in the wax, wipe away the remnant wax to leave behind the final surface finish achieved. Might take a while to do, so a lot a solid block of time dedicated to the task at hand.
Old 04-28-21, 09:06 AM
Ebedeley

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
using your dremel with a cotton attachment drum & a medium grit rubbing compound, work the surface carefully at a low RPM speed. Once the surface is "uniform" looking, wipe up as much of the compound & apply finishing polish to the surface while using the low RPM dremel speed. After you've achieved the aesthetically pleasing surface finish, clean up the surface from both products previously applied & apply detailing wax by hand. After working in the wax, wipe away the remnant wax to leave behind the final surface finish achieved. Might take a while to do, so a lot a solid block of time dedicated to the task at hand.
This seems the most promising, I'll give such a try.
Old 04-28-21, 01:45 PM
Ebedeley

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: Troul
Not the final results, although I'm glad how it turned out. Spent about 3hrs today polishing with medium grit. Gonna have to go to the store and get Flitz polish to finish the next step and buff the remaining streaks, but so far the results are much better than before -- and it works for anyone who might find this. Thanks for your input.

Likes For Ebedeley:
Old 04-28-21, 01:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
Hardest part is dedicating the time to do it.
Old 04-28-21, 02:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nice work OP!