Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian Locomotion

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Pedestrian Locomotion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 03:13 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Pedestrian Locomotion

I'm just wondering how often and how far do you walk? Why do you walk instead of riding, taking the bus, etc.? Do you enjoy it, and do you have any issues when you walk?

----------------------------------------

I walk about 5 or 6 miles a day, mostly walking my dog. She needs the workout, or she has too much energy around the house. I enjoy walking around here. The weather makes it easy, and it's safe.

The only issue is at crosswalks, where the right turning drivers rarely yield. One nearly runs you down, and more follow when you stop in self-defense. When someone finally does yield, they get the horn from behind for doing the right thing! Except for those crosswalks at a couple choice intersections, walking is easy and enjoyable here most days.
Old 03-09-13, 03:22 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
I'm just wondering how often and how far do you walk? Why do you walk instead of riding, taking the bus, etc.? Do you enjoy it, and do you have any issues when you walk?

----------------------------------------

I walk about 5 or 6 miles a day, mostly walking my dog. She needs the workout, or she has too much energy around the house. I enjoy walking around here. The weather makes it easy, and it's safe.

The only issue is at crosswalks, where the right turning drivers rarely yield. One nearly runs you down, and more follow when you stop in self-defense. When someone finally does yield, they get the horn from behind for doing the right thing! Except for those crosswalks at a couple choice intersections, walking is easy and enjoyable here most days.
I walk a lot. I generally will walk up to about 1.5-2 miles rather than ride assuming I am not in a rush for some reason. I like walking better than riding in some ways because its simpler. I walk a lot more when their is a lot of ice on the roads. Unfortunately, here in Lansing MI they make walking very hard. Gross dirty water pools around the crosswalks because of poor drainage and most of the stop lights are designed to favor the movement of cars rather than people. If it were not for cars, both walking and cycling would be entirely more safe and enjoyable.
Old 03-09-13, 03:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've always enjoyed walking. Sometimes when I ride along mup's I get off my bike and walk pushing my bike... Few times per year I will walk to a grocery store ( 3 miles roundtrip ) instead of riding my bike.
Old 03-09-13, 04:48 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I walk for exercise 2 miles or so a day. I try to walk to some places but the pedestrian facilities in most places aren't there so you are forced to walk along high speed highways with no sidewalks or shoulders, or you walk behind the guard rails and risk falling down the embankments into the brambles. Sometimes I will luck up and be somewhere there are good facilities and I am a happy camper then. As far as the RTOR it is the worst thing they could have ever done for pedestrian safety. I have had more than a few run ins with motorists rolling red lights when I was crossing with a walk light in a legally marked cross walk. Last one that comes to mind, the guy ended up with a large boot print in the right side door of his Escalade...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-09-13, 04:58 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We walk a lot, anytime it's within 3 miles as it's a bit of a PIA to get into all the "bike gear" for that short of distance. I can't seem to ride a bike in reg. clothes, I've tried padded underware and sweats, etc. but I just SWEAT like a pig, in bike gear the, wicking material really helps me. I don't buy expensive bike gear, mostly by Performance and usually their "bottom line" and mostly when I can get it ON SALE!! So for us we prefer to walk unless it's like today, 45-55 mph WINDS with light snow, damn near blizzard conditions, we took the bus to have lunch out and buy "on sale" bike clothes,

Old 03-09-13, 06:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Every day, 1 to 2 miles rain or shine. Quiet neighborhood, no traffic. I have walked to the store and to the LBS now and then but normally if it is more than a mile I ride.
Old 03-09-13, 06:46 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
...high speed highways with no sidewalks or shoulders, or you walk behind the guard rails and risk falling down the embankments into the brambles...
My old neighborhood had a lot of that--one foot off the edge of the curb, then a steep hill down to the canal. Those roads were not safe to walk, but sometimes that's just where you need to go. Where I live now, there is a multi-use path for pedestrians, bicycles, and golf carts. You couldn't expect much better access for walking or riding.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
...I have had more than a few run ins with motorists rolling red lights when I was crossing with a walk light in a legally marked cross walk. Last one that comes to mind, the guy ended up with a large boot print in the right side door of his Escalade...
If they cut me off when I'm walking the dog, they get a "hand signal". It's pretty pathetic that they'll risk a life to save a few seconds, but if you can't yield for a dog, you're just evil.
Old 03-09-13, 06:59 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I walk in the neighborhood when I feel like it. The library is 1/4 mile up a hill. Sometimes I take the long way around the block which boosts the distance to 1 mile. Most frequently, I walk to the Post Office. It's about 3 blocks away, and allows me to stop and watch the life in the creeks that flow through the neighborhood. I also walk to KMart and Kroger and the LBS which are about a mile away.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-09-13, 07:29 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will walk to the convenience store or the post office a few blocks away. The other stores I use are four to six miles away. That is too far to walk for me. I'm considering taking up barefoot running when the weather is warmer, just so I can see if I like it.
Old 03-09-13, 08:30 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Anything within a half mile radius, I'll walk instead of ride because at that distance it makes more sense than pulling the bike out, carrying my bag with pump and tools, and having to lock up at the destination. And once in a while I'll go for a hike for fun.
Old 03-09-13, 10:31 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not too much walking here. Destination < 1 miles aren't many around here. I normally don't walk the 1 km to the grocery story 'cause it's too much work to schlep food far.

That's why I have a bike
Old 03-10-13, 09:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I walk to work now, because the distance is so short that it's quicker than riding. I walked exclusively for a long time because of knee then hand injuries and I really got to like it. At that time I would often walk 10 or even 15 miles a day. Sometimes when I'm on a recreational bike ride I park the bike and take a side trip on foot.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-10-13, 10:03 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by zeppinger
I walk a lot. I generally will walk up to about 1.5-2 miles rather than ride assuming I am not in a rush for some reason. I like walking better than riding in some ways because its simpler. I walk a lot more when their is a lot of ice on the roads. Unfortunately, here in Lansing MI they make walking very hard. Gross dirty water pools around the crosswalks because of poor drainage and most of the stop lights are designed to favor the movement of cars rather than people. If it were not for cars, both walking and cycling would be entirely more safe and enjoyable.
have you ever walked on the Lansing Rivertrail? It's quite nice, and also the most direct route between MSU and downtown Lansing as well as other locations.

I'll be glad when the weather gets a little warmer, since most of the drainage problems are caused by ice blocking the sewers. It doesn't help that some parts of the city were built on a swamp!

Another problem you didn't mention is that people and businesses don't clear snow off their sidewalks. The politicians are trying to figure this out right now, since the last law they passed didn't help much. I fall on ice almost every year. One solution is to ride your bike in the icy weather.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-10-13, 10:05 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by lasauge
Anything within a half mile radius, I'll walk instead of ride because at that distance it makes more sense than pulling the bike out, carrying my bag with pump and tools, and having to lock up at the destination. And once in a while I'll go for a hike for fun.
I can't imagine carrying pump and tools on a short ride like that.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-10-13, 10:28 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
have you ever walked on the Lansing Rivertrail? It's quite nice, and also the most direct route between MSU and downtown Lansing as well as other locations.

I'll be glad when the weather gets a little warmer, since most of the drainage problems are caused by ice blocking the sewers. It doesn't help that some parts of the city were built on a swamp!

Another problem you didn't mention is that people and businesses don't clear snow off their sidewalks. The politicians are trying to figure this out right now, since the last law they passed didn't help much. I fall on ice almost every year. One solution is to ride your bike in the icy weather.
I live near Sparrow Hospital so the river trail is way out of my way. I thought about living closer to the trail but the bus option to get to class down that way are terrible.
Old 03-10-13, 10:37 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does using a Xootr count as pedestrian locomotion? Though it has wheels it requires the feet touching and pushing on the ground for locomotion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mg-composite.jpg (86.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-10-13, 11:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I can't imagine carrying pump and tools on a short ride like that.
Me neither for such a short distance, if carrying pump and tools was some sort of hassle. If bike became inoperable enroute, I'd lock it up and walk back home for pump and tools.

Personally, I always have the pump and tools, cell phone, shopping bag, etc. in a small gym bag which is always sitting in the bike basket at home and is no hassle to carry with me at a destination.

As far as walking, never unless I have to. I like biking, not walking.
Old 03-10-13, 11:56 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Most of the trips that are under four miles one-way I'll walk. One exception to that is a grocery store that is three miles down the bike path. I ride that because the bike paths are too narrow to comfortably accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians and have way too many piles of dog feces near the edges. In a typical week, I'll walk anywhere from twenty to fifty miles.
Old 03-10-13, 12:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Me neither for such a short distance, if carrying pump and tools was some sort of hassle. If bike became inoperable enroute, I'd lock it up and walk back home for pump and tools.

Personally, I always have the pump and tools, cell phone, shopping bag, etc. in a small gym bag which is always sitting in the bike basket at home and is no hassle to carry with me at a destination.

I would just roll the bike home and fix it there. That would save a lot of walking. And I wouldn't have to carry my tools, even though, like yours, they're conveniently packaged.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-10-13, 01:19 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
In a typical week, I'll walk anywhere from twenty to fifty miles.
Holy cow.... that's a lot of miles. With my typical walking speed that would mean up to 17 hours on the road.
Old 03-10-13, 01:36 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This is pretty much my attitude too. In the US most local destinations are relatively major bike expeditions.

However, when I visit Canada (Newfoundland), things are greatly compressed. Grocery store is about 1/2 km. Hardware, banking, drug store, some clothing... all less than 1/2 km, so I rarely do anything other than walk. It's just too much trouble to get the bike out and lock up 1/4 km down the road.

I'm gonna say something that probably goes against the majority here, but transportational cycling is a good solution for US urban sprawl.
Old 03-10-13, 01:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
This is pretty much my attitude too. In the US most local destinations are relatively major bike expeditions.

However, when I visit Canada...
I do make exception to my aversion to walking when on travel.

Two years ago my wife and I took a trip through Western U.S. National parks and walked extensively through Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the Grand Canyon. And then visited Las Vegas and walked the Strip as well as through and around Hoover Dam.

Last year we walked a lot around Keukenhof Gardens and Amsterdam in NL, Paris, and Köln in DE; used the train to get from point to point.
Old 03-10-13, 03:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I'm gonna say something that probably goes against the majority here, but transportational cycling is a good solution for US urban sprawl.
I am sure that if more people adopted cycling as a means of transportation, it would greatly reduce traffic congestion on our roads. The question is, how many people are willing to sacrifice a convinience and comfort of their cars to reduce traffic gridlock ?? How many people are willing to make personal lifestyle changes that would reduce their dependence on cars ??..Not too many.
Old 03-10-13, 03:59 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Does using a Xootr count as pedestrian locomotion? Though it has wheels it requires the feet touching and pushing on the ground for locomotion.

LOL! I was using my Xootr for the first time in months. It's finally warm enough to use them!

As for walking, I used a pedimeter to measure how much walking I'm doing every day. It usually come out to 2200-2400 steps or about 2 miles and that's just working and doing ordinary activty. If you want to lose weight, than Weight Watchers and 10,000 stops a day will work. I was losing a ton of weight doing both but stopped and gained it all back. Long distance walking is a lifestyle change.

I found out real fast, my feet, knees and ankle were not ready for 10K steps a day. For those who just ride bikes, you'll discovery that your body is no longer conditioned for long distance walking. I really can't tell you if that is good or bad. However, if you walk five miles in a fast pace, you'll end up drenched in sweat.
Old 03-10-13, 10:23 PM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to walk every now and then. Sometime the bike is FUBAR and then I'm walking a lot. When that happens it's usually 4-7 miles a day. I don't really have any issues with anyone while walking. Might be because I'm 200#'s and 6'2" and look closer to a bum than I do a normal person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.