Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Uniglide Single Speed conversion?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 10:55 AM
herbarium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all, I've the misfortune of getting my hands on a Shimano 600 Uniglide hub laced to an Ambrosio wheel. It's not a bad wheel, instead of throwing it away, I was thinking of converting it to a single speed by using the last cog that is the lock ring, a 13 teeth cog, with a small chainring, 39 teeth.

Can I run the lock ring cog, without any spacers? If I use it that way, would it just chase new threads as I pedal. I am not sure how hard the metal is on the cassette is. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 03-18-20, 11:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Uh I would NOT do that. If you just the thread on small cog how will you get it off if you ever need to?

What I do is get a bunch of spacers and add them to the cassette body and use one of the slip on cogs. Using the spacers lets you set up a pretty straight chainline and can be fine tuned if needed by putting spacers on either side of the cog. To hold everything in place I use the lockring from a bottom bracket.

Cheers
Old 03-18-20, 12:00 PM
herbarium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
To hold everything in place I use the lockring from a bottom bracket.
Cheers
So a lock ring from an old bottom bracket has the same threading and diameter as the Uniglide cassette? That's very useful if so.

That makes sense, but getting those big enough spacers is quite annoying and for what they are, the spacers are relatively expensive.
Old 03-18-20, 12:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by herbarium
So a lock ring from an old bottom bracket has the same threading and diameter as the Uniglide cassette? That's very useful if so.

That makes sense, but getting those big enough spacers is quite annoying and for what they are, the spacers are relatively expensive.
Go to any bicycle shop (that's still open) or bicycle co-op and ask them for an old cassette or two. Most bicycle shops will give you a couple for free. take them home and disassemble them. You now have more than enough spacers. If the cassette is Hyperglide don't worry about it as the spacers will fit your Uniglide body.

Cheers
Old 03-18-20, 02:37 PM
herbarium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
good advice–thanks!
Old 03-19-20, 06:47 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
how will you get it off if you ever need to?Cheers
With a strap wrench.
Old 03-19-20, 07:10 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by wheelreason
With a strap wrench.
A 14 teeth cog by itself on a Uniglide freehub would be extremely tight after a while. I wonder if a strap wrench would hold?

Far easier to use spacers, a slip on cog and a bottom bracket adjustable cup lockring.

Cheers
Old 03-19-20, 07:39 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Same advice here for the solution MM sends. Smiles, MH
Old 03-20-20, 07:47 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
A 14 teeth cog by itself on a Uniglide freehub would be extremely tight after a while. I wonder if a strap wrench would hold?

Far easier to use spacers, a slip on cog and a bottom bracket adjustable cup lockring.

Cheers
No need to wonder, I've done it several times, and plumbers use them to loosen much higher torques. I'm not suggesting that using the threaded cog makes sense, I like your idea better, and have done it that way myself as I have a bunch of uniglide stuff