Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Old 07-19-21, 11:43 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post

These guys ran 98% Nitro Methane and 2% Toluene in a relatively low compression '57-'58 Chrysler 392 and got 400 runs out of their first motor. Tom Jobe was the only guy in the game who actually did research on the fuel that the whole AA/FD game was using and understood that with the magneto at 34 degrees, "tipping the can" with a low compression motor was the way to keep it living. And they won consistently.

The second generation Chrysler 426 Hemis will take 50 plus degrees advanced timing though and that rules out tipping the Nitro at that level. You would put your crankshaft on the ground if you tried it at 50 degrees.
400 runs is outstanding. Our friends car had aluminum con-rods. I think thatís the bridge too far without big sponsorship.

The further away from traditional gasoline the more it gets crazy with ignition timing, compression ratios, AF ratios.

50 degrees is crazy. Thatís not even halfway to TDC. Nitromethane is fascinating having itís own oxygen supply yet still burning a second time in the exhaust.

Personally love the smell of bean oil. I recognized the smell at the OC Speedway. ďIn a four stroke? Thatís different.Ē I guess speedway bikes run a total loss oil system.

Big tangent. Speedway bikes arenít cheap either. I guess cheap compared to yachts or business jets, expensive compared to volunteering or birding.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 07-19-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 12:24 PM
david101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
The thread title says it all.
I recommend snooker, but you may have to live in the UK to understand why.

Last edited by david101; 07-20-21 at 03:26 AM.
Likes For david101:
Old 07-19-21, 12:56 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
400 runs is outstanding. Our friends car had aluminum con-rods. I think thatís the bridge too far without big sponsorship.

The further away from traditional gasoline the more it gets crazy with ignition timing, compression ratios, AF ratios.

50 degrees is crazy. Thatís not even halfway to TDC. Nitromethane is fascinating having itís own oxygen supply yet still burning a second time in the exhaust.

Personally love the smell of bean oil. I recognized the smell at the OC Speedway. ďIn a four stroke? Thatís different.Ē I guess speedway bikes run a total loss oil system.

Big tangent. Speedway bikes arenít cheap either. I guess cheap compared to yachts or business jets, expensive compared to volunteering or birding.
Nitro is so difficult to light that we often saw ignition advances of almost 90 degrees (yep, we would light the fire before top dead center) just to get the flame front moving. Then as you say, it would still be burning during the exhaust stroke which is why the exhaust valve is often the weak link. With exhaust going by while it was still burning,the valve head would approach white hot and then pop off destroying that cylinder in a hurry. The car I tested in ran in the East Coast Funny Car Circuit back in the 60's and early 70's. It consisted of 16 injected (not supercharged) cars that were mostly 2nd hand AA/FC's for some team. My test car was Ronnie Sox's old Bacarruda and wouldn't make a good altered today. I only got to drive this car because I brought money to the team. This was a small time outfit and I actually made more money running my bracket car than the FC made. The Daytona was known as the vacuum cleaner in and around the VA area. Yea, my wife to be liked it too.

Old 07-19-21, 01:02 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Bird watching. You get outdoors watch and identify birds. Recently in west Texas and had a blast watching birds. Fun got exercise hiking and it didnít cost anything after buying the bird book lol.

Yep, truly for the birds. chuckle
Old 07-19-21, 01:30 PM
majmt

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 147 Posts
This appears be a bit of a cut-throat hobby but if you're not too thin skinned.......

Old 07-19-21, 02:53 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Nitro is so difficult to light that we often saw ignition advances of almost 90 degrees (yep, we would light the fire before top dead center) just to get the flame front moving. Then as you say, it would still be burning during the exhaust stroke which is why the exhaust valve is often the weak link. With exhaust going by while it was still burning,the valve head would approach white hot and then pop off destroying that cylinder in a hurry. The car I tested in ran in the East Coast Funny Car Circuit back in the 60's and early 70's. It consisted of 16 injected (not supercharged) cars that were mostly 2nd hand AA/FC's for some team. My test car was Ronnie Sox's old Bacarruda and wouldn't make a good altered today. I only got to drive this car because I brought money to the team. This was a small time outfit and I actually made more money running my bracket car than the FC made. The Daytona was known as the vacuum cleaner in and around the VA area. Yea, my wife to be liked it too.

Injected. I always thought the hilborn setup looked so cool with the stacks sticking up at different angles.

Iíve always been too frugal to get into it.

My stepdad now has a tube frame 56 merc with one of those Fatman A-arm front ends. Coyote engine with overdrive pulleys. Itís fast.

Iím trying to pinch pennies to help me get out of the city.
Old 07-19-21, 06:59 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 624 Posts
learn CHESS ... you can play at chess clubs or play on line or play against a computer ... Pieces and a plastic roll up board and a used copy of Aron Nimzowitsch's "My System" will cost no more than $30 later on you can buy a chess clock .......................... play it til you die and you will never get bored
Old 07-19-21, 09:14 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
learn CHESS ... you can play at chess clubs or play on line or play against a computer ... Pieces and a plastic roll up board and a used copy of Aron Nimzowitsch's "My System" will cost no more than $30 later on you can buy a chess clock .......................... play it til you die and you will never get bored
If I had a vote I would definitely say this is the best and cheapest hobby out there. While it keeps the mind sharp, it does nothing for the glutes and abs though. You still need a bike to stay in shape haha.
Old 07-20-21, 01:09 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post

Nitro Methane, as strong as it is burns more gradually if left to itself. So the object of "tipping the can" was to get it past top dead center to do it's thing. Mixing it with alcohol was one of the worst mixtures for detonating early thus inviting your drivetrain to leave through the oil pan. The 2% Toluene was to get it to fire in cooler, wetter climates such as Lions Drag strip in Wilmington and Toluene was a relatively safe mixture for Nitro. One of the research things Tom Jobe did was to write to the railroad companies for their research into different fuels and their compatibility with Nitro or lack thereof.

These guys weren't sponsored. Jobe built the frame from 4130 tubing by brazing and they raced on a budget in the competitive Southern California area. They were meticulous about taking everything apart and cleaning / inspecting everything every week while either holding down a job or going to college. They won the Mickey Thompson 200 mph Club "Meeting of Monsters" in '66 and the Bakersfield Fuel Championships in a 104 car field (with 64 qualifiers) that year. A year later their driver, Mike Sorokin was driving for someone else's team when he was killed by an exploding clutch.

Now if you want to know about crazy fuels think
hydrazine. That's the unstable stuff that killed more rocket powered Messerschmitt ME 163 Komet pilots during WW2 than we ever did. In fact all such fatalities I believe. I don't think we had anything that would catch the damned things.

"IF the ground's shaking and the flames are green,
They must be running that hydrazine..."

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...madness.71606/
Old 07-20-21, 05:11 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Guerilla topiary, creative and exciting.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 07-20-21, 09:44 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
Guerilla topiary, creative and exciting.
Ha! I remember being an E4 and was told to trim some shrubbery in front of our barracks. I wasnít given clear directions on how they were supposed to look when done so 2 bushes got turned into giant hearts.
Old 07-20-21, 10:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
All this nitromethane talk is reminding me of model airplane engines, which can be a hobby in themselves. Or just be most of the plane. I don't think it's cheap but it's got to be cheaper than dragsters.

I have no idea what the status is of things like this today. I'd have thought that lithium batteries and brushless motors have killed the model airplane engine business stone dead, much less hot rods like this. But have not looked.

F2A control line speed plane, photo from https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordp...ed-buder-park/
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-20-21, 10:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 1,040 Posts
'murica!

Where a discussion about 'cheap hobbies' cannot but morph into a discussion of expensive hobbies
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-20-21, 10:55 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
'murica!

Where a discussion about 'cheap hobbies' cannot but morph into a discussion of expensive hobbies
It's necessary to open the door the the most common free hobby. complaining. (the other word is banned.)
Old 07-20-21, 11:57 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Originally Posted by OldRailfan View Post
Yep, truly for the birds. chuckle
Iím a big fan of birds.

This one caught a lizard just before I took this picture. Then he went to another bunch of shrubs to fish for another lizard.
Old 07-20-21, 12:05 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

'murica!

Itís not unique to the US.
Itís a recurring thing when a society has wealth and the reserve currency.
I bet the same comments were made in Rome ~2,000 years ago.
Old 07-20-21, 02:51 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 401 Posts
'murica!

...where people KNOW their suggestion isnt cheap, but they post it anyway, and ruin my thread.
Old 07-20-21, 03:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 1,040 Posts
I have often thought about this. I would like to do just that, but I'm afraid. I got PTSD pretty bad, and I'm diagnosed ASD. Too much noise, too many kids, too much commotion, and too much stress, and I snap like a dry twig. I'm not so dysfunctional that I cant go out in public, or attend a function with a lot of people, but it truly sucks the wind out of my sails. So teaching a college class would certainly be doable - I have the credentials - it just wouldn't be anything sustainable for any length of time.
I've often thought, after spending a few hours on the phone helping my in-laws figure out how to drag a file from one windows folder to another (only slightly exaggerating), wouldn't it be great if I could point them to (enroll them in!) a local community college course along the lines of "Computer Basics for Olds" -- maybe teaching to that kind of demo would be more your speed?
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-20-21, 03:28 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 490 Posts
...where people KNOW their suggestion isnt cheap, but they post it anyway, and ruin my thread.
Old 07-20-21, 03:35 PM
Eric F
Habitual User

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Bike Forumsing is a pretty cheap hobby and time consuming as you like
Cheap?? I was new to BF, just browsing around to check it out, and I clicked on the C&V forum. Next thing you know, I find out that the old bike that had been collecting dust for a couple of decades is actually something kinda cool, and suddenly I'm $1000 deep in renovating it. It cost me a lot more than than to get a bike suitable to post in the "Hot or Not" thread. Cheap...Yeah, right.
Old 07-21-21, 09:20 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Sorry.
I like gardening. It can be as cheap as seed, soil, mulch.
Old 07-21-21, 12:55 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Learn the theremin ?

Equipment - https://www.moogmusic.com/products/etherwave-standard
Expert performance -

Small as a shoebox, takes a lifetime to master so you can get started now, it is one of the first electrical instruments and a true favorite of physicists and engineers because you are part of the instrument when playing it
Old 07-21-21, 01:09 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud View Post
Learn the theremin ?

Expert performance - https://youtu.be/K6KbEnGnymk

Small as a shoebox, takes a lifetime to master so you can get started now, it is one of the first electrical instruments and a true favorite of physicists and engineers because you are part of the instrument when playing it
Those are so cool!
Easy to learn, hard to master makes for great hobbies, careers, self examination, marriage, etc.
Old 07-21-21, 02:18 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud View Post
Learn the theremin ?

Expert performance - https://youtu.be/K6KbEnGnymk

I make those motions every day before getting out of bed. I never knew I could be a *master* at it. Is that why they named it that?
Old 07-21-21, 03:35 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I make those motions every day before getting out of bed. I never knew I could be a *master* at it. Is that why they named it that?
Ah, now you are baiting me to shoot off topic. Really, if you have already the hand movements, then just to work on precise and consistent hand placement relative to the two antennae and you are home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.