Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mini tire pump recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 09:01 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

I have a Zefal Hurricane mini pump in my seat bag. Fits in the bag nicely but it takes forever to pump up a tire. It is about 9" long. Has an extension tube that comes out when you start pumping, giving about 15" of stroke. Seemed like a cool design but I can pump away until the cows come home and still not enough pressure. I like the minimal approach to a pump and have it fit in the seat bag. Is there another mini pump that would do better. ? I am probably expecting too much from a mini pump anyway...................
Old 08-31-18, 11:16 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I carry a minimalist co2 set up of 1-2 cartridges + a small inflator (Nano inflate or specialized air chuck) in seatbpack and then a tiny Topeak Micro rocket carbon pump. The pump goes either in Jersey pocket or on a bottle cage mount depending on bike. It takes a little effort but can inflate a 700x25 or 28 to about 80-90 psi in a couple minutes. Covers the bases.
Old 09-01-18, 01:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I like the minimal approach to a pump and have it fit in the seat bag.
Minimal approach to a pump, but extravagant approach to a seat bag! Damn, but it's a big seat bag which can fit a 9" pump!

Anyway, my suggestion would be to get a size M (8.5") Lezyne Road Drive. It's a great, highly functional pump which can fill a 25c tire to a acceptable pressure with reasonable effort.

I use them in both the aluminum and carbon fiber models, and can suggest getting the optional ABS Pen Gauge hose for them, so you can know pressure. There is a Road Drive version with digital pressure gauge built in, but it's only available in the Small size, the pumping prowess of which I cannot attest to.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php
Old 09-01-18, 05:12 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by chaadster
Minimal approach to a pump, but extravagant approach to a seat bag! Damn, but it's a big seat bag which can fit a 9" pump!

Anyway, my suggestion would be to get a size M (8.5") Lezyne Road Drive. It's a great, highly functional pump which can fill a 25c tire to a acceptable pressure with reasonable effort.

I use them in both the aluminum and carbon fiber models, and can suggest getting the optional ABS Pen Gauge hose for them, so you can know pressure. There is a Road Drive version with digital pressure gauge built in, but it's only available in the Small size, the pumping prowess of which I cannot attest to.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php

Yeah it is a big ass seat bag The front strap loops around the seat post and the rear end juts out from under the saddle about 3 inches. Nice bag, heavy canvas with side pockets and has leather straps with buckles. I think I was influenced by the manly leather straps and buckles Thanks for the info on the Lezyne pump. I looked at the reviews and they are highly rated. I like the hose too, thats one issue I have with the pump I have, I have to grasp the pump head and hold it securely to the tire, its kinda hard to do after a few minutes and afraid I will damage the presta valve stem.
Thanks for the info !
Old 09-01-18, 05:24 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by MagicHour
I carry a minimalist co2 set up of 1-2 cartridges + a small inflator (Nano inflate or specialized air chuck) in seatbpack and then a tiny Topeak Micro rocket carbon pump. The pump goes either in Jersey pocket or on a bottle cage mount depending on bike. It takes a little effort but can inflate a 700x25 or 28 to about 80-90 psi in a couple minutes. Covers the bases.
Thanks for the info. Thats good to inflate a 700 x 25 or 28 like that in a couple of minutes ! Encouraging to hear, my tires are 700 x 23 so I should be able to do ok with a good mini rather than this lame mini I have. I have been looking at mini's on line and holy cow there are a ton of them out there. !
Old 09-01-18, 09:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak RaceRocket HP or the longer HPX. I've used the shorter HP for three years on my hybrids' fatter tires and road bike skinny tires. Takes about 200-300 strokes with the shorter HP. Great ergonomics for such a small and affordable pump. Effort is still manageable even after 200 strokes. No complaints.

I also have a newer Blackburn Core Slim, also very good except for the ergonomics -- the end caps are hard edged metal, not the rounded rubber cushioned end caps of the Topeak.

Anything smaller, might as well go with CO2.

Also these mount just behind and to the side of water bottle cages, although the Topeak also fits my jersey pockets or expandable Serfas seat bag.
Old 09-01-18, 09:42 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Reliance on CO2 can be risky. The mini I use is so it's no longer available but there many are others like it--i.e., attaches to the frame utilizing the water bottle bracket, has a lever that locks the head onto the tube valve and pumps in both directions-- no more than ~50 pumps will get you home.
Old 09-03-18, 11:17 AM
FSU421

Bikes: A bunch of Cannondales, and a Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the Topeak Ninja pump that stores in the seat post, haven't had to use it yet but the storage solution is great.
Old 09-03-18, 05:27 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Get a combo co2 hand pump. I have the secondwind innovations pump that lets you use c02 or pump by hand if you find your old c02 cartridge won’t work

https://www.amazon.com/Innovations-S.../dp/B00278XRLW
Old 09-04-18, 02:37 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Damn, but it's a big seat bag which can fit a 9" pump!
You don't put it in there all at once....