Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycle specific raincoat v generic decent rain shell?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cycle specific raincoat v generic decent rain shell?

Old 04-03-17, 09:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
Can anyone speak for the packability of the Novara Stratos?
It could be rolled a little tighter than this.

Old 04-03-17, 09:54 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Best cycling jacket is groundeffects Anti-cyclone
Really well made and lasts a long time. They are really popular in places where the weather is really bad.
I've just replaced mine after 10yrs of constant use commuting and touring and the latest one is superb
I started off using Berghaus jackets then an MEC cycling jacket and now ground effect jacket. Cycling jackets are lighter and better cut with a longer back. they also don't have pockets in useless places for cycling
Old 04-03-17, 10:18 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best cycling jacket and pant set is Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite 2. Get a jacket and a pair or pants for less than $20.00 and they will keep you dry. They pack down incredible small and come in several bright colors. They work, but they will wear out in seam of pants and I will usually just patch them with some packaging tape. I have not yet wore out a jacket, just the pants. Did I mention they are less than $20.00 for both the pants and jacket? If they get torn or lost not a big loss. You can get them at big Box stores, eBay, and I have posted a link for Gander mountain.

Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite2 Rain Suit
Old 04-03-17, 11:16 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Since you all have used them, how did you guys find them actually holding up to the rain? Looking at various store and gear reviews, there seems to be a real love-hate relationship with the coat, some saying you'll be wet within 15 minutes and others finding to be the best thing ever invented.

Ideally, it'd be layered over a merino wool long sleeve shirt that I have, or my long sleeve cycling jersey, for actual riding. Coats are the one thing I am indecisive over on any vacation more than anything else, whatever my rain shell turns out to be will likely be accompanied by my cycling softshell (which can take care of light rain amply enough, meaning the other coat has to actually perform the role of a heavy rain coat), and a small compressible down layer (for sitting around in the evening) if the weather around departure is calling for considerable time in the 40s-50s.
It kept the rain out, but it gets damp if you're riding and it's warm out, that can't be helped. However having said that, it is one of the few jackets that I have owned that will dry out while your wearing it, which suggest that the fabric "breathes" quite well. Last year I wore it over merino wool tops, I have now dumped the merino and simply wear light weight fleece for better moisture management and weight savings.
Old 04-03-17, 11:52 PM
jaacco

Bikes: '97 Marin Eldridge Grade, '21 Kona Dr. Dew

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another satisfied Precip user here. It's my general purpose rain jacket and I've been very happy with it.
Old 04-04-17, 06:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Regarding the REI Stratos, the sleeves are cut long which is OK for "on the bike." It really is too bulky to roll up and put in a jersey pocket, IMO.
Old 04-04-17, 06:41 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Regarding the REI Stratos, the sleeves are cut long which is OK for "on the bike." It really is too bulky to roll up and put in a jersey pocket, IMO.
I'm sure you are correct, but I have not had a rain jacket, cycling or otherwise, that I could put in any of my jersey pockets. If it looks like rain, I put the jacket and pants into one of my front panniers where they are easy to reach.

When I'm not using front panniers, they go under the bungees on the rear rack. I usually decide in the morning before I load up the bike whether to leave them in the rear panniers or put them where I can get to them. I have been fooled
Old 04-04-17, 09:33 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Best cycling jacket and pant set is Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite 2. Get a jacket and a pair or pants for less than $20.00 and they will keep you dry. They pack down incredible small and come in several bright colors. They work, but they will wear out in seam of pants and I will usually just patch them with some packaging tape. I have not yet wore out a jacket, just the pants. Did I mention they are less than $20.00 for both the pants and jacket? If they get torn or lost not a big loss. You can get them at big Box stores, eBay, and I have posted a link for Gander mountain.

I carry a set of these in the trunk of my car just in case, never thought of using them for cycling. I think maybe I'll grab a size down (they run huge) and test it out. Probably need to tie something around the right leg because the pants are baggy. Are they fairly breathable? I've never done strenuous exercise in them.
Old 04-04-17, 10:07 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randybb
I carry a set of these in the trunk of my car just in case, never thought of using them for cycling. I think maybe I'll grab a size down (they run huge) and test it out. Probably need to tie something around the right leg because the pants are baggy. Are they fairly breathable? I've never done strenuous exercise in them.
Yes, they run large so they will fit over daily clothing. Straps around leg for pants will certainly help. The only problem I have had with them is the pant seat seams will give out after 2-3 rides. I only wear them when it is raining and I slow down when it rains, they breath ok but I take them off as soon as it stops raining. But for $20 they are hard to beat make sure you get the DriDucks UltraLite 2. I have never had any problems with the jacket and hood just the pant seat. They are very light weight and pack very small. When its calling for rain I through a pair in my panniers.
Old 04-05-17, 08:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Best cycling jacket and pant set is Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite 2.
The pants I have are effectively the same thing as the Frogg Toggs. I've used FTs before, they really do work well, especially as a "have on hand for the unexpected" type situations.

In this particular case, I am looking for an actual jacket.
Old 04-05-17, 09:09 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use those for backpacking and biking. I recommend testing the jacket because the seams are not sealed. I used clear tape (tarp tape) to seal mine. The feature I like most is the light-weight aspect. I use XL and the jacket weighs only 6oz - pants even less.
Old 04-05-17, 09:04 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Really wish I could come to the same conclusion, because for $80 after the members 20% off, it is heads and tails above anything else in the price. I need an XL to zip around my belly and shoulders with any sort of layering on, though, and the sleeves extend a good 2" past my fingertips

REI clothes are just not cut for me. Fjallraven, on the other hand, I really wish I could convince myself to spend $500 on a coat, because it fit beautifully....
Old 04-05-17, 09:32 PM
Doug64

I hope you find a jacket that you can use. You have been to Iceland, and are aware of the winds and rain there. I was there in the fall, and wore my rain jacket every day just for wind protection. I found that wearing a lightweight fleece as a midlayer under any "breathable" jacket really helps deal with condensation.

Also, having a good water repellent treatment on your jacket is essential, Nikwax and Revivex are good products.
A fabric's breathability depends on vapor pressure differences; and when the outer fabric is soaked it does not work.
You might try washing your old jacket and giving it a new treatment. Water needs to bead on the outer surface of the jacket.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-17, 09:55 PM
jefnvk

I'll find something, or I'll deal with being clammy in my old one! Worst case, I've got my eyes on a nice rain parka from the Icelandic company 66 North

This trip, while originating as a cheap flight and cheap bike upgrade experience, is quickly turning out to be an excuse to buy all the camping gear I've been wanting over the past many years, that I never had a reason to go get!

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-05-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 02:31 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
FWIW, I don't own either the Marmot Precip nor the Stratos, but in my search for a new waterproof jacket (in the end I decided that my current LLBean pit-zip-less can serve me for a couple more years) many backpackers and hikers recommend the Precip as THE go to jacket - light, cheap (comparatively), and works almost as well as the expensive GoreTex fabric.

I really liked the look of the Stratos in my local store, which had them on clearance, but make sure you read the online reviews and try one on - they're sized weird and have durability issues.
Old 04-13-17, 05:10 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It could be rolled a little tighter than this.

That's my jacket too. Excellent piece of gear.
Old 04-13-17, 06:33 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by autonomy
many backpackers and hikers recommend the Precip as THE go to jacket - light, cheap (comparatively), and works almost as well as the expensive GoreTex fabric.
I was kinda going in the opposite direction: Durable, a bit nicer, sacrificing weight for comfort and quality. I've got something light and almost as good already (and in a very loud hiviz green).

Had an ideal one I ordered on stupid closeout, a 66 North Grandi rain parka. Awesome quality, but the sizing chart was way off and they didn't have anything left in stock that would presumably fit me. In any case, I've more or less decided for this purpose I'm going regular hardshell, not cycle specific. I've got two months to watch sales, no rush at all.

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-13-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 08:02 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I was kinda going in the opposite direction: Durable, a bit nicer, sacrificing weight for comfort and quality. I've got something light and almost as good already (and in a very loud hiviz green).

Had an ideal one I ordered on stupid closeout, a 66 North Grandi rain parka. Awesome quality, but the sizing chart was way off and they didn't have anything left in stock that would presumably fit me. In any case, I've more or less decided for this purpose I'm going regular hardshell, not cycle specific. I've got two months to watch sales, no rush at all.
REI just had a 20% coupon that ended and I'm waiting for the annual May sale. One thing to consider, and this may be subjective, but a regular shell will likely have an attached hood which may or may not be in the way. Personally, I don't wear a hood while riding because it obstructs my vision and whenever I have one for my commutes I find that it a. flaps too much b. blocks my rear-view mirror

I also wanted to upgrade to a nicer 'all-around' waterproof shell but haven't been able to make that decision. One intriguing option I found was the hi-vis commuter Altura jackets from Wiggle (with a detachable hood that you have to buy separately):
wiggle.com | Altura Night Vision Waterproof Jacket | Cycling Waterproof Jackets (they only have the red now, but used to have hi-viz yellow and blue)
wiggle.com | Altura Night Vision Evo Hood | Cycle Headwear
Or the more aggressive but less flashy MTB version which comes with a detachable hood (in fact, I like this one much more but wish there was a bit of reflective paint on it):
wiggle.com | Altura Mayhem Waterproof Jacket | Cycling Waterproof Jackets
Old 04-22-17, 01:05 PM
jefnvk

Ended up going with the Stratos, it was by far the best feeling option in the price range. Was in REI today, and someone had incorrectly priced them all at $58 (rang up at $88), which they still honored. Figured that was cheap enough to ignore the arm length issues!
Old 04-23-17, 01:13 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all! Anybody using this jacket?
Beta SL Jacket / Arc'teryx
Looks better than many other rainjackets, and its on sale here for less than 200$
Still a lot, but I like quality stuff. I rather buy quality that last, than buy a jacket twice.