Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Integrated Brakes Shifters on Vintage Ciöcc?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 05:26 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello! I recently picked up a late 70s Ciöcc 10-speed. I love it. Its perfectly beat up for semi-worry free street parking.

Someone at some point upgraded the brakes and shifters to integrated Shimanos. They need to be replaced.

My first instinct was to go back to the original vintage Campagnolo parts, but the idea of new integrated solution has its appeal.

Curious to know what others opinions are on here and if I go integrated, what brands do you like. I haven't always had good experience with Shimano.

Cheers.
Old 08-02-21, 05:51 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatTheDelromi
Hello! I recently picked up a late 70s Ciöcc 10-speed. I love it. Its perfectly beat up for semi-worry free street parking.

Someone at some point upgraded the brakes and shifters to integrated Shimanos. They need to be replaced.

My first instinct was to go back to the original vintage Campagnolo parts, but the idea of new integrated solution has its appeal.

Curious to know what others opinions are on here and if I go integrated, what brands do you like. I haven't always had good experience with Shimano.

Cheers.
Why do the shifters need to be replaced? Just your preference or are they broken? If they aren't shifting, sometimes you can get a little more life out of them by flushing them solvent followed up by some lube. There are a few threads here about that.

If you are going to go ahead with replacement, are these actual 10 speed shifters, i.e. 10 cogs on the rear cassette, or are you using "10 speed" in the old school sense to mean "road bike"? If it's an actual 10 speed cassette, you can still find 10 speed Shimano shifters but you'll need to watch out for some incompatibilities across Shimano 10 speed shifters and derailleurs. See below for more info.
  • All 10-speed road components (except Tiagra 4700 and 10-speed GRX gravel, see below) are inter-compatible – you could for example use an old Ultegra 6700 derailleur with old 105 5700 shifters
from: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...r-derailleurs/

Vintage vs modern shifters are a preference. I prefer modern shifters on bikes I ride often. If I had space for a bunch of bikes I might have a vintage build with downtube shifters, but in general I prefer integrated brake and shift levers for putting down miles. Lots in this subforum prefer downtube friction shifters and would steer you that direction. Up to you, depends on your preferences, situation and goals (budget, current state of your existing parts, racing ambitions, ability to work on your own stuff, etc.)
Old 08-02-21, 06:23 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I did a compromise recently, and went with indexed downtube shifters on a Serotta. I can get my "vintage" kicks in, and get a touch closer to modern setups at the same time.

They work incredibly well. Note that they are Shimano. I am not 100% sure, but Campagnolo indexed stuff was notoriously bad (word on the street) I never did ride Campagnolo indexed, I went from friction to Ergo, so hopefully someone chimes in about Campy indexed.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 08-03-21, 12:33 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@tricky Thanks for your input. It's actually a 9-speed (9 cogs in the rear). I was just using 10-speed out of habit. I thinking of going with new components since these ones are 20 years old and in poor condition. The bike is new to me, so I'd rather invest a little in a more longterm approach. Thanks again.
Old 08-03-21, 12:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,483 Times in 3,207 Posts
"Upgrade??"

"Playoffs??"

"Refund?? Refund??"

Old 08-03-21, 01:12 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Upgrade??"

"Playoffs??"

"Refund?? Refund??"
Hah! I watched Breaking Away (again) this 4th of July.
Likes For WhatTheDelromi:
Old 08-03-21, 01:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
@tricky Thanks for your input. It's actually a 9-speed (9 cogs in the rear). I was just using 10-speed out of habit. I thinking of going with new components since these ones are 20 years old and in poor condition. The bike is new to me, so I'd rather invest a little in a more longterm approach. Thanks again.
reference Microshift
Old 08-04-21, 07:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
All my older road frames have been updated with integrated shifting for the last handful of years because I am more interested in usability than period correctness and find integrated shifting to be very usable.
Along these lines- I also use modern gear ranges.

Shimano is the obvious choice. I have used Microshift(and micronew) on 4 builds and like their style of shifting too. Those are significantly less expensive than modern Shimano, but you have exposed shift cables with Microshift.
One other option- indexed bar end shifters. Not integrated, sure, but also not located on the downtube.
Old 08-04-21, 07:57 AM
WhatTheDelromi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
All my older road frames have been updated with integrated shifting for the last handful of years because I am more interested in usability than period correctness and find integrated shifting to be very usable.
Along these lines- I also use modern gear ranges.

Shimano is the obvious choice. I have used Microshift(and micronew) on 4 builds and like their style of shifting too. Those are significantly less expensive than modern Shimano, but you have exposed shift cables with Microshift.
One other option- indexed bar end shifters. Not integrated, sure, but also not located on the downtube.
Thanks for the perspective. Seems like Shimano is the way to go.
Old 08-04-21, 08:43 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
It’s a nice Italian bike, why not a campy group? I prefer ergo because the brake lever isn’t also the shifter.
Old 08-04-21, 10:02 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
It’s a nice Italian bike, why not a campy group? I prefer ergo because the brake lever isn’t also the shifter.
And you can easily rebuild them with some parts still available. And the cable is under the bar wrap. And it is more money. And it may be harder to find parts. And it is Campagnolo (Italian).

There are a ton of Superbe Pro parts on the bay as a second option. Just have to use index DTs.
Old 08-04-21, 01:30 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I vote for downtube shifters. Completely out of fashion, but they signal to other people who are in the know that you too are in the know. Just my two rubles from somebody in the know.
My reaction to the sight of downtube shifters ranges between neutrality and pity, depending on my mood. But then, I used downtube friction shifters for decades, because that's what high-end racing bikes came with.
Old 08-04-21, 01:45 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm a big fan of 10-speed Campagnolo Ergo shifters. Here's a gratuitous picture to make the thread more visually appealing.

Shimano stuff works well enough, though the new parts are a bit ugly. Here's one of my Italians with 5700-series 105 components for reference.

The newer stuff is just too blocky, IMO.