Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is my steerer tube cut too short / unsafe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 08:42 PM
haggiszero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I purchased emonda + didn't realize the steer was cut below the stem stack height until I got the bike...

Is this unsafe? The steerer tube/top of the compression plug is cut to the middle of the stem's top bolt. I can still tighten both bolts to 6nm as specified, and the top cap fit and allows the bearings to pre-load.

Last edited by haggiszero; 04-29-18 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 05:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
An unfortunate hack job. What size Emonda? You could flip the fork on ebay with full disclosure as it would fit the size down or two Emonda.

Me personally? I wouldn't ride it if the top of steerer isn't within 1/8" of top of stem clamp. But that is being a bit fussy....but I want a fully perch of stem/steerer connection. I in fact tend to build my bikes almost flush to slight protrustive and then have a 2mm spacer or so above the stem because I want the clamp fully engaged with the fork steerer.

But that's me. If you are a light and not high watt rider, you likely would have no issue but any bike company would not support that condition.

Yes, you can investigate a new fork through your local bike shop ordering from Trek. Sure won't be cheap and a needless error when cutting a steeer on a slammed stem. Shame on the previous owner or his bike shop.
Old 04-25-18, 05:22 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
What material is it?

post a side view. What spacers are below it?
Old 04-25-18, 05:30 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
There exists 30mm low-stack mtb stems; without measuring I don't know if you even have that much.
Old 04-25-18, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Yeah, that seems a bit too short to me. Not sure how much of a safety issue it really is, but I wouldn't want to find out.

I suggest buying a new fork and trying to sell that one.
Old 04-25-18, 07:03 AM
Sillyak

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
3mm below the stem is okay, yours definitely looks lower than that.
Old 04-25-18, 07:36 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Perhaps it was cut for a different stem? I wouldn't ride as is.
Old 04-25-18, 07:48 AM
Karman321

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can ride it, I do and would
Old 04-25-18, 07:51 AM
haggiszero

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
An unfortunate hack job. What size Emonda? You could flip the fork on ebay with full disclosure as it would fit the size down or two Emonda.

Me personally? I wouldn't ride it if the top of steerer isn't within 1/8" of top of stem clamp. But that is being a bit fussy....but I want a fully perch of stem/steerer connection. I in fact tend to build my bikes almost flush to slight protrustive and then have a 2mm spacer or so above the stem because I want the clamp fully engaged with the fork steerer.

But that's me. If you are a light and not high watt rider, you likely would have no issue but any bike company would not support that condition.

Yes, you can investigate a new fork through your local bike shop ordering from Trek. Sure won't be cheap and a needless error when cutting a steeer on a slammed stem. Shame on the previous owner or his bike shop.
I am a very light rider, fairly low watt (2.7w/kg). I've put 600 miles into this bike so far and haven't had any issues...But I think if Trek can get me a new stem for 250-300 its worth the peace of mind...I'll give them a call.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What material is it?

post a side view. What spacers are below it?
Its a carbon steerer/fork on a Emonda ALR. There are no spacers below it...

Originally Posted by Sillyak
3mm below the stem is okay, yours definitely looks lower than that.
I'll measure, but I think you are right.
Old 04-25-18, 08:08 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I went to change the stem on my brand-new FX6s, I noted that same arrangement. Apparently Trek didn't think it would be a problem and neither did I. I did pull one of the spacers when I put the new stem on so that it fit a little closer to the top.
Old 04-25-18, 08:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
I would not worry about that. I mean, what's the issue? You've got a full expander plug in there, so you've got full support through the stem clamp and you're not crushing the steerer (provided torquing to spec), so what...you've a less-than-complete lock on the steerer by the stem? If the stem isn't slipping because it's failing to get good purchase on the steerer, I don't see the issue. The steerer, as short as it is (and without any spacers above the integrated headset) sure as sh*t ain't gonna snap off or anything. I just don't think there's any unsupport steerer against which applied leverage is going to do anything, and I've never heard of a stem pulling off of a steerer...and this goes back to the days when Ahead came out for MTBs and we used single bolt stems.

I'm just trying to make a rational risk assessment here, not argue against a "better safe than sorry" philosophy!
Old 04-25-18, 11:27 AM
haggiszero

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks - I think you are right...Granted, its not 100% ideal, but I don't think its really that unsafe...

The 2 risks are that 1) the stem pops off the steerer because it can't get a good grip. 2) the steerer cracks?

#2 doesn't seem any more likely than if it was normal length. if anything, a shorter steer would have less flex and be harder to crack off than a longer steerer. Like how a short stick is harder to crack in half than a long stick...

#1 doesn't really seem all that likely either. The stem bolts are tightened to spec and the compression plug reinforces the steered providing a solid tube to grab, despite only 1 bolt being fully around the steerer tube. The upper bolt still is tightened down creating friction between the upper part of the stem and the steerer tube.

Plus...the top cap is on @ 3nm which also keeps constant downward force on the stem so the stem doesn't somehow come upwards and off the top of the steerer.

Last edited by haggiszero; 04-25-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 11:36 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
That top bolt is right at the top of the steerer... do you think a cylinder is more likely to crush at the end or in the middle?

You're rationalizing.
Old 04-25-18, 11:44 AM
haggiszero

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
That top bolt is right at the top of the steerer... do you think a cylinder is more likely to crush at the end or in the middle?

You're rationalizing.
I am not sure I get your point...I think a cylinder is more likely to crush in the middle, same reason why a coke can crushes in the middle, not the top...

I think the compression plug keeps outward force against the stem bolts, so its not very likely for the steer to crush inwards..
Old 04-25-18, 11:50 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

A coke can doesn't have an open top. Your steerer does and they are absolutely more frail at the ends.
Old 04-25-18, 11:54 AM
haggiszero

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
A coke can doesn't have an open top. Your steerer does and they are absolutely more frail at the ends.
I could see that being the case if there was no top, but there is a compression plug in there acting as a top.

Old 04-25-18, 12:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

The one in your picture is well below the top
Old 04-25-18, 12:20 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
It's hard to tell exactly where the top bolt is in relation to the expander. Based on what I see... I wouldn't ride it.

I would:
1. Start sourcing another fork
2. Look to the FB seller to kick a bit for said fork. Unless he disclosed that, it's a pretty sh**** way to sell a bike.
Old 04-25-18, 12:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I like to cut my carbon steerers 1 or 2 mm above the stem and use a spacer above the stem, especially for a new build. A long expansion plug helps.

Most expansion plugs are too short and leave the portion of the steerer at the bottom of the stem unsupported. The specialized expansion plug shown above is about the best there is as it is long and supports a significant portion of the steerer.

I just ordered a Specialized plug similar to the one in the photo. They are difficult to find.

-Tim-
Old 04-25-18, 12:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I'd want to be sure that a single bolt in stem continues to hold the stem in place if the other bolt fails.

Just loosen the bottom bolt and give the bars some heavy tugging and twisting (standing still of course).

Did the bars stay in place? If yes, then probably ok. If no, then understand you're effectively riding with only 1 half of the designed clamp.

Don't forget to tighten the loose bolt again.
Old 04-25-18, 12:44 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a carbon steerer I wouldn't risk it. You can try and gain a few mm's by switching to a shorter headset dust cover, but it looks like you already have the Cane Creek short stack headset on there.
Old 04-25-18, 01:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I can’t see what headset is on there now, but if it is a particularly tall stack headset (top or bottom half), you could gain a few mm by getting one with a shorter stack.

Worth looking in to before ordering a new fork.
Old 04-25-18, 10:07 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It is too short. I would want at least another 5mm of engagement.
Old 04-26-18, 03:39 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It'll probably work as-is to some degree, but I'd change the fork, too. I'd be nervous riding it at any real speeds. Pretty stupid mistake by whoever cut the steerer.
Old 04-26-18, 04:33 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I'd want to be sure that a single bolt in stem continues to hold the stem in place if the other bolt fails.

Just loosen the bottom bolt and give the bars some heavy tugging and twisting (standing still of course).

Did the bars stay in place? If yes, then probably ok. If no, then understand you're effectively riding with only 1 half of the designed clamp.

Don't forget to tighten the loose bolt again.
This is a good idea of the OP is really bent on using the bike as-is.

I would get a lower stack stem at the very least, a Thomson X2 for example. A Basso stem would be even lower, but those are quite expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.