Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy splines

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campy splines

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 11:48 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Campy splines

After waiting around and watching every now and again I finally found a great group for my Derosa rebuild. Group came in essentially perfect shape with barely any scratching!

potential problem, I’m using modern wheels and just received a campy driver for the freehub. Now that I’ve received the 8spd cassette I’m pretty sure that the splines on vintage are completely different shapes.

these look to be similar to a Shimano spline shape and pattern. I still have the Shimano freehub driver from industry nine, any chance I can use it with vintage Campy chorus cassette?

Old 12-06-20, 12:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,996 Posts
In the 8 cog era- Campagnolo made a big change at the beginning was called EXA drive.

I learned this long ago- the early Campagnolo cassette spline was close but slightly different than Shimano of the time- ( recall one spline was different, a mechanic with a dremel could obtain cross pollination)

I bought a Campagnolo ti cassette and found it would not work on my 8 cog earlier hub.
I found and bought an EXA splined hub. The tubular rim gets the exotic, the clincher the pedestrian
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-06-20, 01:00 PM
robbyville

Hmm so I may be out of luck... what about using my 8spd Shimano cassette with 8 speed campy chorus ergo shifters?
Old 12-06-20, 01:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Also won't work, there's a significant difference in the spacing between the gears on shimano vs the campy version. Where shimano uses the same spacing through the whole range campy varies the spacing so that after the 3rd gear it doesn't let the chain shift properly across a shimano cassette. I think Miche still makes 8sp campy compatible cassettes if you can't find old stock.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-06-20, 02:21 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
That's not an 8sp hub, it's a 9-10-11-(12 I think as well) hub. You can fit 8 loose cogs from a 9sp cassette on there with the proper spacers, though finding those may be a challenge. Wheels Mfg made those spacers but they are long out of production.

If you're running it friction just put a 9sp cassette on it.

https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1
Likes For Choke:
Old 12-06-20, 03:18 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Choke
That's not an 8sp hub, it's a 9-10-11-(12 I think as well) hub. You can fit 8 loose cogs from a 9sp cassette on there with the proper spacers, though finding those may be a challenge. Wheels Mfg made those spacers but they are long out of production.

If you're running it friction just put a 9sp cassette on it.

Nope, it's a Campy Chorus 8 speed ergo shifters. I have the cassette for it, I also have my old Shimano 8 spd cassette. I have the driver for both a Shimano 11spd and a driver for the Campy new. I had thought that I had read that Campy used the same driver freehub for 8-12spd, but perhaps that was sizing and not spline shapes.

So are my options new wheels/hubs if I want to use the 8spd Campy cassette that I own? That would be a bummer as I was hoping to save a little money given the world we're living in and use my extra set of I9 wheels with the campy chorus group.

Is there a possibility of purchasing a 9speed cassette that would fit the splines I have and only using 8 of them if spacing is correct?
Old 12-06-20, 03:52 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Originally Posted by robbyville
Nope, it's a Campy Chorus 8 speed ergo shifters. I have the cassette for it, I also have my old Shimano 8 spd cassette. I have the driver for both a Shimano 11spd and a driver for the Campy new. I had thought that I had read that Campy used the same driver freehub for 8-12spd, but perhaps that was sizing and not spline shapes.
Campy 8sp hubs have different splines than Campy 9sp and up.

So are my options new wheels/hubs if I want to use the 8spd Campy cassette that I own? That would be a bummer as I was hoping to save a little money given the world we're living in and use my extra set of I9 wheels with the campy chorus group.
The Campy 8sp cassette won't fit on any other hub. You would have to build a wheel with a Campy 8sp rear hub. But be aware that Campy 8sp cassettes are getting harder to find and available new in few sizes.

Is there a possibility of purchasing a 9speed cassette that would fit the splines I have and only using 8 of them if spacing is correct?
Campy 9sp cassettes are easy to find and available with loose cogs. Wheels Mfg made a kit that had the proper spacers so that you could run 8 9sp cogs on a Campy 8sp hub and it would index properly - you can not just throw 8 9sp cogs on with the 8sp spacers since the 9sp cogs are thinner than the 8sp cogs. I think that you had to modify the 9sp cogs slightly (minor filing) but I am not positive, as I have no experience with these. However these are long out of production so they aren't easy to find. This was in the Brandford link that I sent under the 10-11 freehub: "Fits ALL Campagnolo 9, 10, & 11 speed cassettes. May be retrograded for use with 8 speed drivetrains by employing a Campagnolo 9 speed loose cog cassette, dropping a cog and adding Wheels Mfg Shift-8 spacers."

You said that you had a Shimano hub for your wheels. If that takes an 8sp cassette (I have little knowledge of Shimano stuff) then you could use this. It's not cheap but it's probably the cheapest option for what you want to do. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheels-Manu...97.m4902.l9144
Old 12-06-20, 05:07 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
You may be able to use a 9 speed cassette for Campy modern spline freehub, drop a cog, and use Miche 8 speed spacers.

https://www.xxcycle.com/miche-casset...agnolo,,en.php

According to this thread the thickness of Campy 8s, Miche 8s, and Miche 9s cogs is exactly the same, and Campy 9s is only 0.08mm different.

Whatever cassette you use has to have all loose cogs obviously.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ses-46294.html
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 12-06-20, 06:24 PM
robbyville

Campy 8sp hubs have different splines than Campy 9sp and up.

The Campy 8sp cassette won't fit on any other hub. You would have to build a wheel with a Campy 8sp rear hub. But be aware that Campy 8sp cassettes are getting harder to find and available new in few sizes.

Campy 9sp cassettes are easy to find and available with loose cogs. Wheels Mfg made a kit that had the proper spacers so that you could run 8 9sp cogs on a Campy 8sp hub and it would index properly - you can not just throw 8 9sp cogs on with the 8sp spacers since the 9sp cogs are thinner than the 8sp cogs. I think that you had to modify the 9sp cogs slightly (minor filing) but I am not positive, as I have no experience with these. However these are long out of production so they aren't easy to find. This was in the Brandford link that I sent under the 10-11 freehub: "Fits ALL Campagnolo 9, 10, & 11 speed cassettes. May be retrograded for use with 8 speed drivetrains by employing a Campagnolo 9 speed loose cog cassette, dropping a cog and adding Wheels Mfg Shift-8 spacers."

You said that you had a Shimano hub for your wheels. If that takes an 8sp cassette (I have little knowledge of Shimano stuff) then you could use this. It's not cheap but it's probably the cheapest option for what you want to do. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheels-Manu...97.m4902.l9144
Ok thanks, I think I'm starting to slowly understand my options. I currently have the original 8 speed Campagnolo Chorus cassette and it's in perfect shape, but I can't run it of course on my new style freehub. So I'd have to buy a 9 speed loose cassette to fit the current driver and then further find the proper spacers and drop a cog.

I could get new/old wheels with an original 8 speed campy freehub, doubtful and I really didn't want to go that route

I also have my Shimano 8 speed cassette, Could I possible use those cogs with the spacers included in the Campy 8 speed cassette and then swap my freehub back to the Shimano one?

Last edited by robbyville; 12-06-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 10:22 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Ok thanks, I think I'm starting to slowly understand my options. I currently have the original 8 speed Campagnolo Chorus cassette and it's in perfect shape, but I can't run it of course on my new style freehub. So I'd have to buy a 9 speed loose cassette to fit the current driver and then further find the proper spacers and drop a cog.

I could get new/old wheels with an original 8 speed campy freehub, doubtful and I really didn't want to go that route

I also have my Shimano 8 speed cassette, Could I possible use those cogs with the spacers included in the Campy 8 speed cassette and then swap my freehub back to the Shimano one?
You have the first two parts correct.

While I've never tried it, my understanding is that you have to use different spacers with the Shimano cassette to get it to index with the Ergos. The Shimano cogs are likely a different thickness than the Campy ones so the spacing won't be correct. The eBay item that I posted is for spacers that will allow the Shimano cassette to shift properly.
Old 12-07-20, 07:43 AM
robbyville

While I've never tried it, my understanding is that you have to use different spacers with the Shimano cassette to get it to index with the Ergos. The Shimano cogs are likely a different thickness than the Campy ones so the spacing won't be correct. The eBay item that I posted is for spacers that will allow the Shimano cassette to shift properly.
ok perfect. Will check the Old Shimano cassette today to make sure my friends never changed it out with an HG which it seems won’t work with those spacers and give it a shot. Shame since this chorus cassette is in such good shape.
Old 12-07-20, 01:42 PM
robbyville

bummer the Shimano cassette I have is an HG51 so looks like the spacer option is no longer an option. Will have to source a 9spd Veloce drop the largest cog and find the spacers to work with new campy freehub shape
Old 12-07-20, 02:57 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I know you are looking to use the wheels that you have, but a nice set with the matching Chorus hubs (of course with 8sp freehub) from that period will look really nice.
Old 12-07-20, 03:14 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I know you are looking to use the wheels that you have, but a nice set with the matching Chorus hubs (of course with 8sp freehub) from that period will look really nice.
Lol I don't disagree, may have to look around for something good with tubulars. It's just that I was hoping to keep the spend reasonable, and I have these wheels which I absolutely adore, would fit nicely, are light, but most importantly are sitting in my garage and have never even been mounted (they're my spares for the Speedvagen)
Old 12-07-20, 03:57 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
This page may be of use to some here, Campagnolo splines and spacing explained:

Old 12-07-20, 04:02 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Old 12-07-20, 05:46 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by jiangshi
This page may be of use to some here, Campagnolo splines and spacing explained:

Thanks so much, yep a couple of kind souls also sent me in that direction (wonderful info)! Currently I'm now looking to buy a loose modern 9 speed campy cassette and need to source the spacers to convert it to 8spd. Seems like that will be my only/best option if wanting to use the wheels in my possession.
Old 12-08-20, 06:52 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Looks like you've got the splines figured out. FYI I was able to get in touch with someone at Ben's Cycle https://www.benscycle.com/ and order the Wheels Mfg kit for spacing a loose 9 Campagnolo cassette to Camp 8 speed spacing (ordered through EuroAsiaImports https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...t-154p5684.htm). Not cheap but cheaper than new wheels or freehub bodies. PM me if you want the direct email, but they were nice and got it to me pretty quick.
Old 12-08-20, 09:57 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Not much consolation but I found a set of Wheels MFG spacers on the sales thread. They work well but the lock ring is like 1 thread on.
DA/WM blcok on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 12-08-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-08-20, 11:27 AM
robbyville

Ok so next question...

Looks like I may have been able to source the spacers to use with a modern 9 speed Campy cassette, and drop the largest cog (fingers crossed).

So now I need to source the cassette, I want to make sure I get the right one. I'm told that it needs to be a l"loose cassette", I'm not familiar with newer campy stuff, which cassette should I buy, are they all loose or do I need to be specific for model and year that cassette was designed for?

This will be going on a modern freehub but paired with Chorus 8 speed ergo shifters (see pic of freehub above)

Thanks as always, looking forward to starting and finishing the build so I can get riding! Our club also has a vintage ride the first Sunday of each month so hoping to get out on our January ride!
Old 12-08-20, 11:38 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Ok so next question...

Looks like I may have been able to source the spacers to use with a modern 9 speed Campy cassette, and drop the largest cog (fingers crossed).

So now I need to source the cassette, I want to make sure I get the right one. I'm told that it needs to be a l"loose cassette", I'm not familiar with newer campy stuff, which cassette should I buy, are they all loose or do I need to be specific for model and year that cassette was designed for?

This will be going on a modern freehub but paired with Chorus 8 speed ergo shifters (see pic of freehub above)

Thanks as always, looking forward to starting and finishing the build so I can get riding! Our club also has a vintage ride the first Sunday of each month so hoping to get out on our January ride!
I believe the Veloce has loose cogs.
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=10
https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Ve.../dp/B001GSSBV0
Old 12-08-20, 11:50 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by SJX426
Not much consolation but I found a set of Wheels MFG spacers on the sales thread. They work well but the lock ring is like 1 thread on.
DA/WM blcok on Flickr
Looks fantastic! Is that on a modern campy freehub?

Awesome thanks! Next up will be selling the Chorus 8 speed cassette it seems.
Old 12-08-20, 12:01 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
DA/WM blcok on Flickr
I'm running Ergo 8-speed on two bikes with Shimano splined free hubs. Both are set-up with Shimano cogs and the same Wheels Mfg. spacers shown above. I resolved the "one thread on" lock ring issue by purchasing a lock ring made by Token. The Token lock ring has a longer threaded section that provides a good 3 or 4 threads of engagement. The Token TKO42S lock ring is made in Taiwan and available on eBay. Many colors available....I chose red to match the Wheel's spacers.

The Wheels Mfg, spacers aren't easy to find and often spendy when they do pop up. The cheap 'n easy alternative is the plastic spacers used in Shimano's 7-speed cassettes.....they are the very same width. These plastic spacers have three small "nubs" on each side that need to be filed or ground off. With that modification done, you are good to go.

Dean
Old 12-08-20, 02:49 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Dean51 - Thanks for answering the question! Mine is a DA hub with the DA sprockets. Thanks for the lock ring info!
Old 12-08-20, 02:58 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Awesome thanks! Next up will be selling the Chorus 8 speed cassette it seems.
You may want to hold onto that in case a use pops up in the future. Maybe you'll find a nice 8s wheelset for it
Likes For jiangshi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.