Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 03:33 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I took this guy for about 30 miles this afternoon.

Old 04-27-14, 04:04 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (102.2 KB, 488 views)
Old 04-27-14, 04:26 PM
billnuke1 

My new favorite "beater"! I love the "offset" M on the seat tube! I bought it for $50.00 from the original California owner! Actually his second Moto in a short amount of time. Son took bike #1 for a ride a and locked the bike to a post by the front wheel! Long story short...I have that wheel, too!
Attached Images
004.jpg (99.1 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by billnuke1; 04-27-14 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 04-27-14, 04:30 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Crikey, Bill. Which one are you referring to? That's a heck of a Moto stash you have there.
Old 04-27-14, 04:38 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
OK, so I posted my mid-'70's Grand Jubile earlier in this thread & didn't even get a nod. I had put on swept back bars, city brake levers, cork grips, Brooks B67....but honestly never liked the ride quality after all that change. So today I've reinstalled the original stem, handlebars, removed the '70's wheel reflectors and put on a black saddle with black bar tape. I removed the Shimano Sora derailleur & installed a SunTour Cyclone Mark II (may get either a V GT-Luxe or older Cyclone). So, is it better now? Thanks. Before on the left and current on the right. I have 1 bar end shifter on the right. Front is single chainring (that's a whole other can of worms!).

Attached Images
IMG_2478.jpg (93.4 KB, 497 views)
IMG_2712.jpg (100.8 KB, 513 views)

Last edited by Velocivixen; 04-27-14 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot to mention derailleur chage
Old 04-27-14, 04:47 PM
billnuke1 

I just finished a gold Mirage that resided in a basement un-ridden for 30 years! A Grand Sprint has been relegated to deep storage because of too many little problems. Only one work stand this time of year! Too many other projects! And I wanna ride! I would have brought my Grand Touring had I made the Spring Ride. Went campin' instead!
Old 04-27-14, 04:59 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
OK, so I posted my mid-'70's Grand Jubile earlier in this thread & didn't even get a nod. I had put on swept back bars, city brake levers, cork grips, Brooks B67....but honestly never liked the ride quality after all that change. So today I've reinstalled the original stem, handlebars, removed the '70's wheel reflectors and put on a black saddle with black bar tape. I removed the Shimano Sora derailleur & installed a SunTour Cyclone Mark II (may get either a V GT-Luxe or older Cyclone). So, is it better now? Thanks. Before on the left and current on the right. I have 1 bar end shifter on the right. Front is single chainring (that's a whole other can of worms!).

You tell us if it's better! Really, while we may be picky (just a bit ) about details, the most important thing is that the bike works for you when riding. So...anything goes. My wife has a mixte that I built up for her much like your previous build: 'North Road' bars and a Brooks B67. She loves it, but she does not put a lot of miles on, either. If this build feels better and will lead you to ride more, then it's great. I thought you'd written that you found the drop bars uncomfortable, but maybe that was someone else. I will say though that the bars look to be rotated up quite a lot--like you could not ride 'on the hoods' that way, at all.

The Grand Jubile looks great, of course, in the red/black. I happen to have a set of those same fenders I think (VO hammered) which I may put on my Grand Record. they look terrific on your bike.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 04-27-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 05:01 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

V-vixen, I like it! The upright version was pretty too but I like road bikes.

Don't feel bad that no one commented on your earlier post. There are so many good bicycles in C&V that we go blind quite often.
Old 04-27-14, 05:02 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I took this guy for about 30 miles this afternoon.

Beautiful, but the valve on your spare looks vulnerable. To what I'm not sure, but I'd fold the tire so it's protected.
Old 04-27-14, 05:08 PM
Velocivixen

@ Chicago Al - it does look like the bars are rotated. I just checked the bike and in real life they don't look like that. I was kneeling down & at an angle. They hoods & top of bar are level with the stem. I like the responsiveness now that I've put the drops back on along with a narrower saddle. The bottom line is that this was my first ever CL buy and although the lugs are nice, etc. the bike is too big for me. I can ride it, but I think if I'm going to have drop bars, I need a slightly smaller bike. I'll likely sell it. I will keep my eyes open for a Moto in my size that has its original parts. I was so excited when I got this bike I went out and spent $$$$$ having wheels built, etc., etc. then when all was said and done I didn't like the ride any more and quit riding it. Hoping that now it's back to it's former self regarding bars & saddle It will be more fun. I had surgery 5 weeks ago and can't really ride for at least another 3 weeks. I did a brief ride around the neighborhood the other day & that's it.
Old 04-27-14, 05:09 PM
billnuke1 

I love all of the Motobecane colors! I love the orangey quality of your bike! My Grand Jubile has the Simplex set up. I love the shifting.
Old 04-27-14, 05:10 PM
Velocivixen

@jimmuller - thanks. Your bike is a gem! What year? Are you the original owner? It's sweet.
Old 04-27-14, 05:12 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by due ruote
Beautiful, but the valve on your spare looks vulnerable. To what I'm not sure, but I'd fold the tire so it's protected.
Thanks for the tip. Truth be told, I have no experience folding a tubular. I'd like to fold it into a smaller package but the dang tire won't cooperate.

The bike is believed to be a '74 CT painted to look like an '82. Those lighter blue splotches on the frame were done by someone before me probably covering places where the paint was worn. They catch the sun occasionally and sparkle so I'm not rushing to correct the color.

This bike is light and sprightly. It requires a light touch on the handlebar too. But it does like to go fast. I'm liking the nice tires.
Old 04-27-14, 05:16 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
…So, is it better now? Thanks.
if you like it, yes.

drop bars give you more positions to avoid hand strain on long rides.

if i saw it on the street, i would definitely do a double-take.

i always like a brooks on a vintage moto, though. makes it that much classier. i ride with a padded shorts, so i like a hard saddle.
Old 04-27-14, 05:17 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

@jimmuller - thanks. Your bike is a gem! What year? Are you the original owner? It's sweet.
As I wrote above, I believe it is a '74 Champion Team though the paint and hand painted or stenciled DT lettering matches the '82. I found the frame on ebay last year from a seller local to me. Apparently the uncertainty over its identity kept bidders away. I did a lot research on it, decided it was a '74 CT and definitely worth building. The seller also had the wheels which came with it. Then I found the '74 date code on the hubs, which more or less confirmed my guess as to its identity.
Old 04-27-14, 05:23 PM
spencewine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You basically have the year, color, model of grand jubilee that I've been searching-for for the past 3 years. Love that lug-work.
Old 04-27-14, 05:24 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
@Velocivixen It looks like your GJ is a 52cm-ish frame size, same size as my Grand Record. The Motobecane catalogs from the 70s listed frame sizes in inches, and their 21" is evidently what we have. I took a quick look at the '74 and '75 catalogs, and unfortunately the Grand Jubile and Record did not come in a size smaller than that. The Le Champion and Team Champion did, surprisingly, but both are much rarer. And the midrange Grand Touring and lower-end Nomade did as well. Several of those catalogs can be found at bulgier.net or velopages.com.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-27-14, 05:30 PM
Velocivixen

@ Chicago Al - Oh yes, I've got the 1974 & 1975 catalogs already downloaded. As I said I bought it sort of spur of the moment. I went to look at a Motobecane 19" mixte & ended up buying this instead. The mixte was one of their lower models and I sensed this one was better quality (it had already been modified by prior owner, so not all original). I think a 19" is best for me when it comes to drop bars.
Old 04-27-14, 05:49 PM
billnuke1 

I have a number of Moto mixtes. Chocolate brown to fluorescent green. Upper and lower models. They all give a great ride! The girls bikes were usually taken better care of! The wife can't ride them as the top tubes are too high for her.
Old 04-27-14, 05:58 PM
billnuke1 

I also have my eye on a Moto tandem. BB feels a little loose. Great price! Either a great buy or an expensive wall hanger! I'm excited!
Old 04-27-14, 06:43 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Truth be told, I have no experience folding a tubular. I'd like to fold it into a smaller package but the dang tire won't cooperate.
I do like diabloscott shows here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10811...337?banner=pwa
Old 04-27-14, 08:03 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
...I believe it is a '74 Champion Team though the paint and ... DT lettering matches the '82... did a lot research on it, decided it was a '74 CT...
sounds like a pretty weird restoration/repaint before you acquired it, considering how much more beautiful and coveted the early models are compared to everything after '78 or so.
Old 04-27-14, 08:38 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
How about this...

With Bags Added by FatSwede, on Flickr
Old 04-27-14, 08:53 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by eschlwc
sounds like a pretty weird restoration/repaint before you acquired it, considering how much more beautiful and coveted the early models are compared to everything after '78 or so.
Agreed. One possibility is the owner may have raced it determinedly at one time and later wanted it to appear like a newer model but on a budget. The painting included removal of all traces of orange, leaving the original chrome intact (chrome which wasn't on the later models), adding the brazed-on the BB cable guides and right chainstay housing stop (none of which were on any of the models at that time). The TT had cable clips, not housing loops. The FW was a Regina Oro 5-speed. The wheels were '74, 36 spokes, but with the rear rim replaced and using plated, not SS, spokes, and with gauges 2.0-1.7-2.0mm just like the front. If someone wanted a newer/better bike to race he'd probably replace the wheels first. Since the frame itself was probably not much different between '74 and '82, the cheapest way to "upgrade" and intimidate your opponents would be to make your bike look newer. Or maybe the owner was a kid who thought newer was cooler.
Old 05-09-14, 05:36 PM
Narwhale

Bikes: 1982/83 motobecane mirage sport, 1964 schwinn racer 2-speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
motobecane mirage sport... not sure of the year

Pretty much my first legitimate bicycle. There was a period of tough time figuring out and fixing up components--particularly the seat tube adjustment where the threading for the internal bolt seems to be stripped. I was able to get the proper fit by adding the hose-clamp. I'm going to continue maintaining the cycle. I absolutely love riding it.
Attached Images
IMG_0985.jpg (99.2 KB, 572 views)

Last edited by Narwhale; 05-16-14 at 06:55 AM. Reason: new insights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.