Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Securing a bike on campus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 01:11 PM
Unreasonable

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the start of this summer I bought a nice Fuji Roubaix, and have been riding it constantly. As this next year begins, I'm planning on using it to make the 6 mile commute to campus from my apartment instead of bothering to drive such a short distance. I'm wondering what you guys would suggest for security.

When I have it at my apartment, I plan on taking it into my room and, if there's going to be a lot of people in the apartment, locking it up in there. On campus it will likely be left on the rack where I work, as most of my classes happen nearby there, and it is out of the way of much foot traffic so I'm not too concerned about the security there (I work in transit, and I've seen many bikes that were left on buses just left on the racks without a lock for months at a time).

If I do take it to a different rack, it won't be in any one place for too long. I have one of those Bulldog Mini U-Locks, which seem like they'll work great if I can figure out a way to carry it. I had been carrying it in my bag, but I recently saw a picture of somebody who carried it by running the U part under their seat bars and letting it hang there for the ride. It seems to me like that could damage the seat but... thoughts?

I know I need to get the locks to replace the quick release levers on my wheels and seat, and I've already talked to my LBS owner about that. Any other recommendations?
Old 08-05-11, 01:37 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unreasonable
At the start of this summer I bought a nice Fuji Roubaix . . .
A nice bike still is a target.

I ride to a community college without that much of a security problem, but I don't think I would take my good road bike.

I ride a 20-year-old road bike and lock it up with a chain. I have a rear basket that I use to carry a backpack and the chain. It's actually pretty aerodynamic, with the load immediately behind me and out of the wind.

U-locks are good, but more expensive than I wanted to pay. My chain is home-made from 3/8" grade 70 transport chain from the hardware store slipped inside an old innertube. I lock it with a high-security padlock. This is not totally impervious, but it would require significant (conspicuous) effort to defeat, barring picking the lock. The hardware store guy almost could not cut the chain with his hydraulic cutter; it was pretty violent.
Old 08-05-11, 01:44 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd secure it by getting another bike for the commute
Old 08-05-11, 01:59 PM
Unreasonable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured I'd get that suggestion. Trust me, I really do appreciate your concern about taking a good bike to school. The thing is I really only have room for one bike, and I still want to be able to go riding besides just for my commute. My campus isn't so dangerous that I would be sweating every moment whether or not it would be there when I get out of class. I'm just trying to figure out things a bit more than keeping the honest man honest secure.

Last edited by Unreasonable; 08-05-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 02:18 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of my mates had his daughter go to Uni. Bike theft is always a problem so between us we built up a bike. Old frame and forks and a set of wheels that although were old with the ally spokes and 5 speed freehub- were a good sound set of wheels. Took the labels off the LX deraillers and put a Suntour sticker on the LX crankset. Found an old stem and bars that were rusted but were good and scratched a lot of paint off the frame and let it go rusty.

The bike looked terrible and if there were 100 bikes in a rack this would have been the last one to be borrowed. But it rode fantastic.

The only way to secure a bike on campus is to have your hand or your butt on it at all times so look at getting an old beater that you can afford to lose.

But as you might take the chance then get the best D Lock with the highest rating you can find. And get a hawser to secure the wheels-saddle and anything else that can walk to an immovable object. And that includes the bars- stem and forks that can be removed with just one allan key and 2 minutes.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-11, 02:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Go in with the assumption that it will either get stolen, or have parts stolen off it. Then when it happens, you won't be so upset.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-05-11, 03:01 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Just carry your bike into the classroom. Unless it's a science lab, most lecturer's shouldn't care.
Old 08-05-11, 04:03 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was me, and I had only one (nice) bike to ride to school, I would get a really good chain with a really good padlock, and also cable up any separable parts like the seat and so on.

Or you might consider taking the seat off and carrying it with you.

I have often wondered if certain clipless pedals might deter a theif, something that would not work with regular shoes very well like Crank Bros. Eggbeaters. Or maybe that would make the bike a more attractive target, I'm not sure.
Old 08-05-11, 05:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get some serious locks and some heavy hardened chain ,
lock the heavy lock to the bike rack you will be using.
leave it there, so you don't have to carry it both ways

inform campus security so they won't cut it , without calling you first to see if it's yours .
probably still want to carry some sort of lock anyway for the shopping stops on the way home,
but it wont have to be so killer heavy..
Old 08-05-11, 05:48 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Based on my kid's experience, the wheels will be the primary targets. Unfortunately, you'll have to find a way to secure your wheelset,always. The good news is even a Walmart combination cable locks seemed good enough, they're crimes of opportunity not serious planning.
Old 08-05-11, 06:34 PM
Unreasonable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll be buying wheel and seat locks (only like $40 from my LBS, which is much less than a new wheel). I like the idea of leaving a heavy lock and chain on my primary bike rack, will probably do that.

The anti-theft deterrent of clipless pedals has had me consider them. I want to get them for fun riding, but wasn't sure how I felt about needing to have 2 pairs of shoes with me whenever I go to campus. I'll keep considering that.
Old 08-05-11, 10:46 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You could also get removable pedals (mks ezy, for example), if you wanted an additional theft deterrent.

Is there any possibility that you could lock it up somewhere inside where you work?
Old 08-06-11, 12:08 AM
newrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a abus u lock or one of their big chainlink ones. make sure that the wheels are secured with a theft-prevention locking system such as Pinheads. or buy the yellow forgettaboutit ulock kryptonite lock. make sure that you don't lock it for hours outside and always in the same place. actually, just insure the damn thing with tenants insurance. take a picture of it and have a copy of the receipt.
Old 08-06-11, 09:07 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Walk the six miles to school!

Save the bike for the weekends!
Old 08-07-11, 10:01 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Unreasonable
I figured I'd get that suggestion. Trust me, I really do appreciate your concern about taking a good bike to school. The thing is I really only have room for one bike, and I still want to be able to go riding besides just for my commute. My campus isn't so dangerous that I would be sweating every moment whether or not it would be there when I get out of class. I'm just trying to figure out things a bit more than keeping the honest man honest secure.
Most schools have a local college police. Ask them what their experience is on bike thefts. That will give you a better understanding of your new campus situation.