Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

are you a law abiding citizen?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

are you a law abiding citizen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 02:55 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dolanp
I try not to run red lights unless it's obviously not going to get triggered by my bike. Stop signs however I will slowly roll through if nobody's coming because I don't want to have to unclip.
Do a trackstand for 2 or 3 seconds that it takes to stop at the stop sign.
Old 08-11-11, 05:03 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MijnWraak
I obey all traffic lights and other laws.

The thing I do NOT do is make a complete stop at stop signs especially and right-on-red turns. I have 6 stop signs on my commute. I put my foot down at 2 every time. 1 when there is traffic. The other three I usually blast through since I can see pretty far at those spots.
Why bother with that first sentence, then?

As for me, I roll stop signs all the time. I run reds that I know aren't going to trigger for me (legally, I have to wait two minutes, but I only have patience for 15 seconds if no cars are coming to trip the sensor for me). I'll gently roll a right-on-red.
Old 08-11-11, 05:07 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Educate yourself on how to trip stop lights. It's actually pretty easy. No need for cars.
"However, the signal sensor circuit must be adjusted to be sensitive enough."
Old 08-11-11, 06:44 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Educate yourself on how to trip stop lights. It's actually pretty easy. No need for cars.
Hahahaha .... good one! You obviously have not ridden the streets in Raleigh, NC. I know how to trip a traffic signal in theory. In practice, there are several on my route that will not trip for a bicycle, period. It doesn't matter how I position my bike or how long I wait. The light won't change unless a car comes along and trips it.

BTW, back to the original post, I try to abide by traffic laws, but will run traffic lights that do not trip. I also treat many stop signs as yield signs, after looking both ways twice. However, there are a couple of intersections on my route where I always wait for the light to turn green. They are too large, busy and dangerous to cross without a green light, and the sensors actually work at these signals.

Last edited by tarwheel; 08-11-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by ZmanKC
I'm guessing that not all traffic lights can be tripped by bicycles and/or motorcycles. That's why my state just enacted a "dead red" law.

I have two lights on my daily commute that I can not trip. And yes, I did the dead red thing even before the law. I also treat stop signs as yield signs when there is no other traffic present.
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
"However, the signal sensor circuit must be adjusted to be sensitive enough."
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Hahahaha .... good one! You obviously have not ridden the streets in Raleigh, NC. I know how to trip a traffic signal in theory. In practice, there are several on my route that will not trip for a bicycle, period. It doesn't matter how I position my bike or how long I wait. The light won't change unless a car comes along and trips it.
I've been able to trip lights all over the country using the techniques in the link. The key is position. If the loop detector is a figure 8, you have to be over the most sensitive part of the loop which is the middle of a figure 8. You also have to follow it for it's entire length (or at least a good portion of it).

For single loop detectors, you have to follow one of the long legs for it's entire length.

Granted, you have to be able to actually determine where the detector is. That's not always possible but if I can see the wires (sometimes it's just a long linear depression in the pavement), I can trip them. Not just here in Colorado, either. If you want a list, I've ridden in 35 of the 50 states and haven't had a state yet where I couldn't trip the lights.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-11, 08:47 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me, it's not really about being in a hurry to get to my destination. I'd just rather be riding than standing at a light, especially when there is no traffic. In some cases, when there is traffic approaching from behind but the side streets are clear, it actually seems safer to carefully proceed through a red light or stop sign. Being passed by vehicles as you negotiate an intersection, or feeling their impatience if you choose to take the lane (my usual strategy), makes me nervous. I wish we had signals that allowed cyclist to have a short head start to clear the intersection, like I've seen in Denmark.

Another point is that in some cases I'll choose a side street that parallels one of the major connectors in town to stay away from traffic. These streets have stop signs virtually every block, which is why cars don't use them to get across town. I'd rather take my chances on the busy thoroughfare than come to a complete stop every block, but being on that street annoys drivers far more than rolling stop signs on the parallel street, so I use the side street and roll cautiously through stop signs.
Old 08-11-11, 08:50 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Do a trackstand for 2 or 3 seconds that it takes to stop at the stop sign.
I take pride in my trackstands!
Old 08-11-11, 10:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Overall, I try to be law-abiding and considerate, but it's situational for me. There is one large intersection in particular where the green light is rarely in my direction, and I would have to zigzag across three lanes to use the pedestrian signal, so I usually go when the coast is clear. And it's uphill on the way back.

I'll have to play around with the sensor thing.
Old 08-11-11, 11:32 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by making
One of my patients installs and repairs them. He says there is no way to do it. Nevermind I see. He says even Harley Davidsons wont usually do it. Humm, I really did believe him.
It really does work. I have a traffic light not far from where I live. If I position myself in the center of the loop nothing happens. If I position myself on either the left or right side of the loop I can trip it.
Old 08-11-11, 11:32 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've been able to trip lights all over the country using the techniques in the link...
OK. If you ever come to Rose Hill Drive and Rugby in Charlottesville, VA, let me know if the light trips for you.
Old 08-11-11, 11:34 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I will try it sometime. I wasn't saying I doubted him.
Old 08-11-11, 11:39 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I follow the traffic laws as best as I can manage when driving either my car or my bike. I do this for safety and to set a good example, as well as to protect my integrity in the eyes of the police, city employees, and students I've worked with on cycling safety and enforcement issues.

I've had no traffic tickets for decades now (last one was at age 18 or so). I've never been in a car-car or a car-bike crash.

I'm lucky that the traffic laws here don't discriminate against me in a way that would require me to break them for my own safety. The law here allows me to ride in the middle of the travel lane or ride outside a striped bike lane whenever I see fit to. If the law prohibited me from using the center of the lane I would probably violate it frequently and hope I didn't get stopped.

Group rides have been a source of frustration for me, however, when they roll through stop signs at speed. If I find myself in the middle of a pack on a large group ride, I create a hazard if I stop and nobody else does (and they don't). I try to get out of the pack so I can stop, but this is often difficult. On rides that I lead, I stop at stop signs, and encourage other participants to do so, with mixed results - some cyclists won't stop after gentle encouragement and I don't want to be heavy-handed or start arguments. Fortunately, the vast majority of my cycling miles are solo or with my kids.
I think that that is also part of the reason that I don't join group rides. They have a tendency to disregard the rules of the road, i.e. ride 3 or more abreast, run stop lights and signs, in order to keep the pack together.

My question is would the organizer be willing to pay either the hospital bills, or fine if a cyclist is either hit by a car while running a light/stop sign or if they're stopped and ticketed by a LEO?
Old 08-11-11, 11:47 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Considering the number of laws on the books for the various cities, counties, states, and of course the federal laws, I would be doubtful that there is anyone in the country who hasn't broken a few...
Which is why I've said before that what needs to happen is starting at the state level and working up. EVERY law on the books needs to be reviewed. And any that are no longer enforceable need to either be repealed or amended so as to be enforceable. Then again starting at the state level all laws on the books need to be compared to the next highest level and if there are any duplication the law from the lower level needs to be repealed or amended so that there are no duplications, i.e. city laws compared to county laws than city laws compared to state laws and lastly city law compared to federal law.

Then repeat with county level laws on up.
Old 08-11-11, 12:53 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Yes, Raleigh hasn't started adjusting signals to detect bikes yet the way Cary does. It's certainly possible if they decide to make it their policy. I recommend contacting the Raleigh BPAC members, Raleigh's Bike Ped coordinator (Jennifer Baldwin) and Raleigh Public Works (e.g. Eric Lamb) to request the policy change and ask what needs to happen to make it a reality. You can also elevate the issue to involve Raleigh City Council if needed.

FYI Here's an example of a calibration rig I built for adjusting signals to detect bikes:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...19e6c7d&type=1

And a good article from FHWA on the subject: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications...s/08may/02.cfm
Old 08-11-11, 01:57 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I run stop signs technically, since I tend to do rolling stops if nothing is coming. I will also run an uninterrupted lane at a T crossing with a light. When driving I tend to also do rolling stops and I tend to do about 5ish mph over the limit always. I'd say I'm a mild offender both in car and on bike.
Old 08-11-11, 06:44 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To those who think that "no one" notices the actions of cyclists. You're wrong, today while on my ride which includes two laps around The Pier. As I'm heading down for my first lap, one of the security guards thanked me for stopping for the stop sign.
Old 08-12-11, 03:59 PM
toddles
Banned.

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfreitas323
This is just a matter of curiosity here.

Do you as a bicycle commuter Really abide all traffic laws? I mean as a cyclist one of the bright sides is being in that venn diagram between being in a car and being a pedestrian.

obviously i don't mean be reckless and weave in and out of traffic and endanger yourself. but for an example if you're at a red light, and there are no oncoming cars, will you run it?

In general I am a law abiding citizen for a couple reasons. The primary one is safety. The more closely I adhere to the traffic laws the less likely I'm going to be in an accident and there have been several accidents with bikes this year in Seattle with many bad outcomes. The second reason is I don't take an us-versus-them attitude with cars. If the law applies to them then it applies to me. I get no special treatment here. Having said all that, if I'm in the lazy suburbs or country -- yeah -- I'll bolt through that red after I've slowed considerably down and am sure it's safe to cross. I'm no saint but I'm much more likely to be saintly in the city as I feel my life depends on it.
Old 08-12-11, 04:10 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The only times that I bend the rules is late at night when there is not much traffic.
Old 08-12-11, 04:45 PM
Unreasonable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only traffic law I break regularly (while on a bike) is a no turn on red. Especially if the motorists waiting at the light are going straight, there's no reason for me to not split to the right and turn. At stop signs I'll usually make a very slow rolling stop, and at lights I usually stop. Even on my way to work in the morning I relax and follow most laws, because I'm not worried about time.
Old 08-12-11, 05:53 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are an aweful lot of responses that read something like:

"Yeah, I follow all the rules....except when it doesn't make sense to do so".

Think about what you're saying people -- you either follow all the rules or you don't. I don't think that some of the rules that apply to cars should also apply to cyclists, but it is what it is. I break laws.
Old 08-12-11, 11:12 PM
jpatkinson

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
...it is what it is. I break laws.
Thank you!
Old 08-14-11, 02:26 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone rename this thread to "air your smugness and judgments".

Too bad the door to A&S isn't one-way.
Old 08-14-11, 04:15 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
Another point is that in some cases I'll choose a side street that parallels one of the major connectors in town to stay away from traffic. These streets have stop signs virtually every block, which is why cars don't use them to get across town. I'd rather take my chances on the busy thoroughfare than come to a complete stop every block, but being on that street annoys drivers far more than rolling stop signs on the parallel street, so I use the side street and roll cautiously through stop signs.
We must have the same commute!

I see traffic laws, perhaps, in the same ways I see grammar "laws" for authors: first know the rules, then you can know when it's okay to break them.

And, yeah, a little part of me grins whenever I roll through a stop sign, for I was a "Stop at Every Sign" rider before I started riding every day. Such a rebel now!
Old 08-14-11, 06:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I adhere to the laws in Idaho, but I'm not in Idaho.
Old 08-14-11, 07:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
There are an aweful lot of responses that read something like:

"Yeah, I follow all the rules....except when it doesn't make sense to do so".

Think about what you're saying people -- you either follow all the rules or you don't. I don't think that some of the rules that apply to cars should also apply to cyclists, but it is what it is. I break laws.
We have a saying out west that goes something like 'you don't tear down a fence without knowing why it was there in the first place.' Same applies to laws and rules for travelers on streets. Sure there are lots of laws that don't apply to cyclists but there are plenty that do. Stopping at traffic control devices is one of the rules that does apply to cyclists. Especially oblivious cyclists who don't even look before they blow stoplights and signs in front of cyclists with the right of way on the through street, or ride on the wrong side of the road while making a left hand turn right into the path of a cyclist attempting to turn onto the street that the idiot was on, or go around a stopped cyclists making a left hand turn - with a hand signal out - right into the path of a car that the stopped cyclists was waiting for. All of these have happen to me just recently because someone decided 'I break laws'.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.