Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Co-op dilemma - another rusty "classic"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Co-op dilemma - another rusty "classic"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 09:41 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
Not real sure which model that is, but it could very well have at least some 531 tubes. The seat stay caps are throwing me.
Looks like a Made in Japan Raleigh.

Seat tube will reveal a lot. Run your finger inside and check for a vertical seam, then try inserting a 26.4mm seat post
Old 03-02-23, 10:00 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Nippon produced Raleigh cycles did not receive Vagner DP+ fork crowns, BOCAMA lugs or Alatet headsets

-----
Old 03-02-23, 04:51 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I need one of those shifters for my sister-in-law's bike. She has an old Panasonic on which someone replaced the Positron and the current thumbshifter is giving her hand fits.

I love these bikes, both the 5- and the 10-speed versions. Gave one to my sister. Liked building them, liked selling them. Best steel wheels ever.

Last edited by thumpism; 03-02-23 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-02-23, 10:29 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
The Sprite is cleaning up nicely. The paint still has a fair amount of luminosity to it - Raleigh should have painted everything, their paint was so much better than their chrome. Although I was surprised how well the Nervar cranks shined up, considering how thick the rust was on them. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.
Old 03-03-23, 06:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

​​​​​​

presence of Alatet headset tells us steerer threaded 24TPI

nice Vagner DP+ forged crown

lug pattern appears BOCAMA 18/I

seating pad on outer face of brake bridge is a feature which came in about 1976 on frames of this calibre

presence of centrepull bridge tells us it likely came fitted with Weinmann centrepull brakes

housing stop for covered cable type front mech suggests gear ensemble may have been MAEDA at this era

"Type II" cotterless bottom bracket assembly suggests it may have been fitted with a Sakae Ringyo chainset Raleigh used at this era

would expect it to be at least three-tube 531 plain gauge

expect pillar size of either 26.2 or 26.4

definitely pre-Huffman; may have come through the Oklahoma facility

-----
Man are you thorough! Sounds like a nice frameset!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-03-23, 11:53 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 611 Posts
It's my size and I really don't need it but would they ship? OR if it doesn't find a home and it is headed to recycle would it be possible to just buy the fork and headset and have them shipped? Those I do need for my '66 Raleigh Carlton.

Originally Posted by Robvolz
This tall Raleigh has been hanging on the hook for a bit. Tried selling for $75, build it yourself and no takers.

march, it goes down to $50 before finally…….the recycle bin.

it’s a shame because it is real pretty, patina and all. No idea the year or model.

not enough time in the day to save every C&V that comes in.
Old 03-03-23, 01:22 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 663 Posts
This co-op does not and will not ship.

Everyone rides their bike to and from there.

There is no phone number there.

The place opens after UPS (bike flights) stops picking up.

Not my rule. Please find a way to beautiful Portland and buy in person. Tax free,

Last edited by Robvolz; 03-07-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 04:39 PM
Murray Missile 

The place opens after USP (bike flights) stops picking up.

Not my rule. Please find a way to beautiful Portland and buy in person. Tax free,
Bummer. Breaks my heart to see that get melted down though. Especially that fork. Hopefully someone will save it.
Old 03-03-23, 11:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I need one of those shifters for my sister-in-law's bike. She has an old Panasonic on which someone replaced the Positron and the current thumbshifter is giving her hand fits.
I'd recommend going straight to a 7-speed Shimano conversion, just so you can install a 7-speed SunRace (or SunRace rebadge) trigger shifter on it. Much lighter to operate.

Plus, unlike a thumbie, you're not constantly cranking your wrist into some ridiculous position to change gears. I can't stand them, personally; don't know the fascination behind them other than nostalgia. They're never in the right place and matched SunTour ratchets and RDs are usually fairly stiff to move, making it even less comfortable to operate.

-Kurt

Old 03-04-23, 12:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I've had thumb shifters and trigger shifters on various bikes that gave me problems, particularly in cold weather (arthritis). Having since bought a 1995 Cannondale hybrid with GripShift, I strongly recommend that solution for your sister in law.

GripShift is generally condemned on Bike Forums, and the cheapest versions can be pretty bad, but the better versions are still cheap compared to trigger shifters, and they work flawlessly and almost effortlessly. Just make sure that you buy the Shimano-compatible version. If your sister in law doesn't read Bike Forums, she'll probably be very happy with GripShift.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-04-23, 07:36 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've had thumb shifters and trigger shifters on various bikes that gave me problems, particularly in cold weather (arthritis). Having since bought a 1995 Cannondale hybrid with GripShift, I strongly recommend that solution for your sister in law.

GripShift is generally condemned on Bike Forums, and the cheapest versions can be pretty bad, but the better versions are still cheap compared to trigger shifters, and they work flawlessly and almost effortlessly. Just make sure that you buy the Shimano-compatible version. If your sister in law doesn't read Bike Forums, she'll probably be very happy with GripShift.
I use GripShift on a couple of bikes and like it but her hand problems compromise her grip so that's out. She has tried them on her husband's bike and says the won't work for her. I figure a long stem shifter, such as that SunTour Power stem shifter, will give her the leverage to shift using the heel of her hand rather than having to grasp.
Old 03-04-23, 07:49 AM
Murray Missile 

I use GripShift on a couple of bikes and like it but her hand problems compromise her grip so that's out. She has tried them on her husband's bike and says the won't work for her. I figure a long stem shifter, such as that SunTour Power stem shifter, will give her the leverage to shift using the heel of her hand rather than having to grasp.

They can be hard to find now but Shimano made 7 speed indexed stem shifters. I used a set on my first attempt at a gravel bike conversion to an old Schwinn World Sport and it worked reall nicely, especially since I ride the top of my drop bars most of the time. Very easy to shift and much of the time I just used the heel of my hand below my thumb lightly resting on top of the lever with my fingers still in contact with the bar. I know stem shifters are frowned upon but these worked so smoothly! When I dismantled the bike I saved them and will use them again.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-04-23 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-04-23, 09:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
I was about to say - GripShifts are not easy on the hands at all, for the most part. There are a few exceptions, including some (not all) of the SRAM 1:1-pull examples being surprisingly light (especially the long-grip versions used for the Dual Drive systems), but as a rule, GripShifts are a nice way to a raw feeling palm.

A light derailer spring coupled with a light feeling trigger might be the best thing here.

-Kurt

Old 03-04-23, 11:34 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Do you have a coaster-brake wheel back there somewhere? This is antithesis to what you described about keeping it original but if you just strip off all the accoutrement and do single-speed/coaster-brake and a maybe a lighter saddle it would be a very lively coffee/path bike and usable if you're in a flat area
Old 03-05-23, 08:42 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts

The place opens after USP (bike flights) stops picking up.

Or perhaps you could consider facilitating the purchase and shipping of the fork and headset for Murray Missile -- would generate a few $$ for your co-op and generate some good karma for you by keeping at least part of this nice old frame from being junked and for helping out a fellow BFer -- and a fork and headset are not too difficult to pack and ship....

Likes For JulesCW:
Old 03-05-23, 09:21 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
This tall Raleigh has been hanging on the hook for a bit. Tried selling for $75, build it yourself and no takers.

march, it goes down to $50 before finally…….the recycle bin.

it’s a shame because it is real pretty, patina and all. No idea the year or model.

not enough time in the day to save every C&V that comes in.
I would be heartless.
remove the headset and bag it.
remove the headbadge
maybe sell the fork on eBay. ( maybe with headset if it is a 26 tpi type)

tall guys are cheap.
Old 03-05-23, 02:50 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by repechage
tall guys are cheap.
Short people jack the prices up when they see you're tall enough to ride them.
Old 03-05-23, 03:37 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Still need one of these?
Old 03-05-23, 04:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Still need one of these?
One of these. In your photo the one on the left looks like one of its two levers was removed. I might have to settle for that solution but not yet. I'm not sure she even rides the bike these days but I'm aiming for the fix anyway.
Old 03-05-23, 05:11 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
One of these. In your photo the one on the left looks like one of its two levers was removed. I might have to settle for that solution but not yet. I'm not sure she even rides the bike these days but I'm aiming for the fix anyway.
Let me know. I don't have a single-side mount, or a complete left shifter assembly. But I am willing to part with it for a reasonable price.
Old 03-07-23, 01:33 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 663 Posts
Took the frame from out of the bin again.

took a few pics….

Old 03-10-23, 08:00 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Took the frame from out of the bin again.

took a few pics….
Looks like a Super Course frame from 1978.
Old 03-16-23, 12:41 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
Here's a quick "after" picture of the Sprite.

The crank had to be replaced because the drive side pedal threads were stripped out, and everything else in the drive train had to be replaced because the old bits could not work with the new bits. Fortunately I was able to find a crank that would take the original cotters with the R nuts.

Honestly, I would have to say this was not worth the time to get it into usable but not spectacular condition. Next time I have to rehab a bike of this quality I will probably harvest the R nuts and other saleable parts and then see if it makes sense to build the frame back up with whatever we have on hand.
Likes For albrt:
Old 03-17-23, 04:21 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
Here's a quick "after" picture of the Sprite.

The crank had to be replaced because the drive side pedal threads were stripped out, and everything else in the drive train had to be replaced because the old bits could not work with the new bits. Fortunately I was able to find a crank that would take the original cotters with the R nuts.

Honestly, I would have to say this was not worth the time to get it into usable but not spectacular condition. Next time I have to rehab a bike of this quality I will probably harvest the R nuts and other saleable parts and then see if it makes sense to build the frame back up with whatever we have on hand.
Very nice job on bringing the Sprite back from the dead. You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
In addition, you are building character, always a good thing, in retrospect, I guess.
Old 03-17-23, 05:11 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Looks to be quill. If so, there are a couple of new Suntour quill-mount singles on eBay now with prices in the $30 range, shipped. Links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291672397271

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185170434257

I've done business with the first vendor; my experiences were positive. No history with second vendor.

Unfortunately, both have a left shifter mount (with factory cover for the shifter boss) to allow for potential future addition of left shift lever. Neither of them seems to be a "Power Shifter".

Edited to add: there are also some others, including this Suntour "8.8.8" model. Still in unopened factory bag, so it's hard to tell whether it has a left-side mounting boss or not. It's considerably more than the others, though (est $40-45 with shipping and sales tax). I've done business with this vendor too; they seem good also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314304771393

Shipping quoted for all the above items was to my location, so it may vary to yours.

Might be a Power Shifter single quill-mount out there somewhere too. Just did a quick look and didn't see one with right-only shifter boss, but I might have missed it.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-17-23 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Add info, correct awkward wording.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.