Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Penny pinching question on buying inner tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 02:00 PM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Walmart has inner tubes for my 20" folding bike with Schalbe max. 100PSI tire. Normally they're $5, but now are 1/2 off. My question is, do cheaper inner tubes hold the higher pressures, at least, for a couple of weeks and 100 to 200 miles of paved road riding?
Old 06-30-23, 02:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
YMMV but in my experience, innertubes are an area where you get what you pay for

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-30-23, 02:12 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I'd rather put $5 towards a pint of beer, and patch the tyre of folding bike.

I can't take a folding bike seriously, so beer takes priority here.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-30-23, 02:41 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Don't worry about those tubes. Most local bike shops - certainly all the shops I worked for over the years - buy inexpensive tubes in bulk to use for repairs. Manufacturers of inexpensive tubes don't want to have to take back whole production runs of tens of thousands of tubes, so their products tend to be as reliable as the more expensive tubes, if somewhat heavier.

In fact, whenever I've heard of a batch of tubes being bad, it's usually been Continental tubes or some other name brand. Anyway, regardless of the brand or cost of the tube, in most cases of a customer bringing a tube back, complaining that it failed, it turned out that the customer hadn't understood how to install the tube without damaging it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-30-23, 02:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
What brand tubes at Walmart? I get Bell inner tubes there in the 700C size. They last every bit as good or even better than the Continental Tire inner tubes I've also bought. They are a little bit heavier than the Continental's. So I'm assuming they are thicker rubber. I don't get the puncture resistant Bell tubes that are much heavier.

If you are talking about the Slime inner tubes, I've never used them. Don't see any point in having sealant in my tubes since I don't get flats but every other year or so lately.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-30-23, 03:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Inner tubes are not responsible for maintaining high pressure. They are confined in place by the rim and tire. In fact, the least reliable inner tubes I have ever used were quite expensive. They were lightweight Scwalbe inner tubes that I bought when the distributor I worked for at the time had lost Scwalbe as a client
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-30-23, 04:58 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
a problem I have seen is that the tubes were rolled up and into the boxes before fully cooled and developed a crease 180 degrees from the valve

that entire batch failed at that location

I had some very nice Michelin tubes that all failed right at the valve stem where it was vulcanized into the tube

I guess the point is if you find tubes you like, stick with them. especially if your tires are hard to repair / remount in the field when you don't have your bead jack.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-30-23, 05:17 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Walmart's Bell tubes appear much thicker and heavier than LBS premium tubes, I believe the reason for that is it will be tougher for same BSO's that were also purchased from same Walmart.
Old 06-30-23, 05:33 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'm figuring on a folder, you likely aren't racing, touring or riding centuries. For that price I don't know that I would worry about a Walmart tube. I suspect it will be fine for the intended purpose. In fact I may look to see if they have them in 700s if I think about it.

Old 06-30-23, 07:21 PM
stargazer48

Thanks for the comments.
For those who asked, the inner tube brand is Bike Shop selling either, one for $2.50 reduced from $4.96 or four for $7.50 reduced from $13.96. I believe a number of different sizes are available at those prices based on stock availability. The 700's have the same price. It looks like they only sell to Walmart.
Old 06-30-23, 07:23 PM
stargazer48

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Inner tubes are not responsible for maintaining high pressure. They are confined in place by the rim and tire. In fact, the least reliable inner tubes I have ever used were quite expensive. They were lightweight Scwalbe inner tubes that I bought when the distributor I worked for at the time had lost Scwalbe as a client
That's why I mentioned that I have tires with a max of 100 PSI. I was concerned about the material and the valve perhaps not able to support a higher PSI.
Old 06-30-23, 07:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I'd buy a bunch of them at that price. I've had bad luck with both higher priced name brands as well as bulk from China. It's the tire I won't skimp on.
Old 06-30-23, 08:52 PM
jasoninohio

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
I just recently noticed the half-price tubes on walmart.com; I would imagine the 20 inch tubes should be decently durable as they will be aimed at kids bikes and BMX for the Walmart crowd

For the folks mentioning 700c I think the skinniest size they stock in the store brand is 700x25-34 with a 32mm valve stem
Old 07-02-23, 09:06 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Inner tubes are not responsible for maintaining high pressure.
Completely wrong. It is essentially the tube that determines the rate of pressure loss. The type and thickness of the rubber is what controls the diffusion of oxygen and nitrogen through the tube. And if you have poor seas on the tube valve, than can result in pressure loss. The tire contributes little to the equation.,

And to the OP, it is not miles ridden that determines pressure loss. It is time and the permeability of the tube.
Old 07-02-23, 09:18 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
it is not miles ridden that determines pressure loss. It is time and the permeability of the tube.
Going back to my oil field days, I would say it's the porosity, not permeability.
Old 07-02-23, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
"maintain" might have been a poor choice of words, but the idea was that the tire is where most of the strength is required. I doubt that one could even inflate a tube to the correct pressure for riding without it being constrained by the tire and rim.

Do we have to nit-pick everything?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-02-23, 09:28 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Going back to my oil field days, I would say it's the porosity, not permeability.
Porosity is the mechanical structure of the material. Permeability is the measure of (in this case) gas diffusion through the tube. Something with high porosity might have high permeability, but if the surface of the material is "attractive" to the gas, then the permeability will be decreased even if the porosity is the same. This explains why CO2 diffuses more rapidly through butyl rubber than oxygen or nitrogen.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 07-02-23, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Nope. Even from your oil field days. In oil fields, porosity is the ability of the rock to hold a fluid. Permeability is a measure of how fast the fluid moves through the rock. For a bicycle tube, porosity is the measure of how much gas would be held in the walls of the tube. Permeability is the measure of how fast the gas moves through the tube. Rubber doesn’t have a very high porosity, i.e. it doesn’t have many holes in it. But what holes it does have let the gas pass through fairly quickly…i.e. high permeability.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-02-23, 09:43 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

The tire and rim are responsible for containing the pressure. The inner tube is responsible for maintaining the pressure. It’s the bladder that holds the pressure in place. If the tire were tubeless, the tire takes over that function.

Fick’s Law is what describes how gas diffuses across a membrane. It says

Fick's First Law states that 'the rate of "diffusion (e.g. of a vapour) is proportional to the surface area and the concentration difference, it is inversely proportional to the thickness of the membrane".
For bicycle tubes, that means that the thicker the tube, the slower the diffusion. Lightweight tubes are, by design, thinner so they decrease in pressure more rapidly. Higher pressures will also lose pressure faster than lower pressure systems.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-02-23, 11:04 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do we have to nit-pick everything?
No. But that doesn't deter a lot of people.

Old 07-02-23, 03:40 PM
PeabodyPK

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've always had good luck when picking up inner tubes from Walmart when on a bicycle tour, for 1/2 off I'd vote with the group that says "grab them".
Old 07-03-23, 08:49 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

For bicycle tubes, that means that the thicker the tube, the slower the diffusion. Lightweight tubes are, by design, thinner so they decrease in pressure more rapidly. Higher pressures will also lose pressure faster than lower pressure systems.
recently observed this

on one bike switched to Schwalbe lightweight butyl tubes and they appear to lose air pressure a tad quicker than the standard Schwalbe butyl tubes

the Schwalbe Aerothan TPU tubes might retain air pressure as well or better than the Schwalbe lightweight butyl tubes (tough to make accurate comparison given our variables)
Old 07-03-23, 08:57 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I’ve had both good and bad luck with inexpensive 20” tubes

the one bad luck :

replaced original tires on a late 60’s Stingray so I thought it would be a good idea to replace the original tubes - especially because the original tubes were just about fused to the rust covered rubber rim strips and rims

one of the new tubes failed quickly - blew apart at a seam (? can’t recall exactly) ... so back to the original rust covered tubes lol
Old 07-03-23, 04:13 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by t2p
recently observed this

on one bike switched to Schwalbe lightweight butyl tubes and they appear to lose air pressure a tad quicker than the standard Schwalbe butyl tubes

the Schwalbe Aerothan TPU tubes might retain air pressure as well or better than the Schwalbe lightweight butyl tubes (tough to make accurate comparison given our variables)
Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) is a very different class of materials than either natural (latex) or manmade rubber (polybutyldiene, aka “butyl”). Gas retention is very different as well. Even different polyurethanes may have different gas properties. I haven’t used any of the modern TPU tubes but I had a belly boat that I put a urethane tube in ages ago (more than 20). The tube was not elastic at all. Modern TPU tubes seem to be elastic and may be thermoplastic elastomers (TPE). Here’s a discussion of the differences.