Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim brake pad lifespan in adverse conditions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rim brake pad lifespan in adverse conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 07:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Well they did wear out, and no I didn’t take pics
Of course they did. Of course you didn’t.

Hope you’re well paid if you’re going to be going through pads every week.
Old 02-28-24, 08:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

the new pads have held up fine, weather is better but they must be higher quality. Maybe the old ones were ancient even though it’s supposedly a new bike. Rubber gets hard I think, especially in the sun, idk.

i wouldn’t make up a random story like this, you won’t believe me, but that’s ok.
Old 02-28-24, 08:50 PM
indyfabz

i wouldn’t make up a random story like this, you won’t believe me, but that’s ok.
You are correct: I am secure in my disbelief.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-29-24, 05:29 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
It barely rains once a year there, so you bought a brand new bike for that occasion with the funds you saved by ripping off food pantries?
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 02-29-24, 11:00 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Seems like anyone would about have to set up the perfect conditions and do it on purpose. That heavy, long hill, coat the pads and rims with sand at the top every day. Yea, I can see it as possible, but nearly impossible for how most people ride bikes. Back in my day, we tried to avoid sand and mud as much as possible. Today people want to play in it. If that's your game great, but you need the proper equipment for the game. Larry, I would say you need to stick with disc brakes.
Old 02-29-24, 11:13 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts

the new pads have held up fine, weather is better but they must be higher quality. Maybe the old ones were ancient even though it’s supposedly a new bike. Rubber gets hard I think, especially in the sun, idk.

You are correct: I am secure in my disbelief.
If you don't believe him, then just ignore the thread and move on. Why are you sticking around for so many posts just to harangue somebody? I don't see how he would gain anything by lying to making up such a random story on an internet forum.

But yeah, wearing out a set of pads that fast, that's crazy. Maybe something wrong with those pads. New pads that came with the bike, who knows what origin of pads they're using. Good luck with the new set.

Last edited by Yan; 02-29-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 11:23 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
It's not likely that a new bike would have "ancient" brake pads. So, I guess you are saying the bike is "ancient" (not actually new). A "couple of years old" wouldn't be "ancient".

You bought the thing. You should be able to tell people here exactly what you bought.

The amount of nonsense you spew here isn't going to do much to make people have any faith in what you say (the "boy who cried wolf" story has a lesson for you).

It's somewhat surprising you (a self-proclaimed expert) didn't figure out there was an issue with the brakes before wearing them out to be metal-on-metal.

Of course, you didn't take pictures since doing so would help other people see what is going on better.

What you are describing is very unusual. Unusual enough to lead people to suspect your story is missing some crucial information.

like 100 miles max? Prob less. I live on the top of a crazy hill, so I brake a lot. There have been a few times on this bike where I leave my house and am immediately slamming both brakes and going side to side to shed speed
This is pretty much what happened. If I didn't start using the back brake more than usual to compensate, I bet I would have reached metal to metal on the front brake in like 5 days instead of 7. Weighed myself today, 257 lbs
Sounds like part of your problem is poor braking technique. It's possible that the brakes on the commuter bike aren't good enough.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-29-24 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 11:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's somewhat surprising you (a self-proclaimed expert) didn't figure out there was an issue with the brakes before wearing them out to be metal-on-metal.
Larry cannot foresee parts wearing out:

unfortunately, I never let my prefrontal cortex develop, so I’m literally unable to conceptualize future concepts. I can’t think about future.
Old 02-29-24, 11:36 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Larry cannot foresee parts wearing out:
It's not an issue of foreseeing anything. One should be able to feel the brakes performing poorly in the present.
Old 02-29-24, 11:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
It's not an issue of foreseeing anything. One should be able to feel the brakes performing poorly in the present.
You can't apply normal logic when discussing Larry's bike issues.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-29-24, 02:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Yan
I don't see how he would gain anything by lying to making up such a random story on an internet forum.
You must be new around here.

I mean, OP aside, you are unaware of the member who formerly posted lies in the Touring forum and who, at one point, created a sock puppet girlfriend user?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-29-24, 04:10 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
sock puppet?

You must be new around here.

I mean, OP aside, you are unaware of the member who formerly posted lies in the Touring forum and who, at one point, created a sock puppet girlfriend user?
I've seen a couple references to this person...but, must have not been reading the Touring forum often enough to notice...who dis?
Old 02-29-24, 05:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I've seen a couple references to this person...but, must have not been reading the Touring forum often enough to notice...who dis?
He whose name shall not be mentioned.
Old 03-01-24, 04:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I don't see how he would gain anything by lying to making up such a random story on an internet forum.[size=33px]
[/size]You are undumb. You know what a troll is. You could cite multiple reasons why someone would lie on a forum.

I am not claiming Larry is a troll. I am claiming you could list reasons why people lie and what they could gain from trolling.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-01-24, 08:18 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Are they carbon cork brake pads or variants for carbon rims? Pads from/for your carbon rims? What's the shop's name?
Old 03-01-24, 11:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by kcjc
Are they carbon cork brake pads or variants for carbon rims? Pads from/for your carbon rims? What's the shop's name?
cheap rim brakes on a cheap bike, all city or pure cycles or something, it’s a single speed brand but this is a road bike
Old 03-02-24, 01:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
cheap rim brakes on a cheap bike, all city or pure cycles or something, it’s a single speed brand but this is a road bike
Wait- you don't know the brand of bike that you purchased and ride?
That's wild, even for you.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-03-24, 06:56 AM
njkayaker

Stop wasting people’s time.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-03-24, 06:58 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It’s Larry asking other people for help. It’s other people’s problem that he is too lazy (?) to provide any sort of information.
Old 03-04-24, 09:42 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
it is it fact “pure cycles” but I’ll probably forget again, because it’s some cheap single speed brand that sells a road bike for some reason. Identical to the other cheap fixie brands.
Old 03-04-24, 09:45 PM
LarrySellerz

It’s Larry asking other people for help. It’s other people’s problem that he is too lazy (?) to provide any sort of information.
are you unfamiliar with cheap chromo frame bikes from the urban commuter fixie brands? They are essentially all the same thing. Narrowing it down more than that is frankly an insult to the intelligence of our fellow board members.
Old 03-04-24, 10:09 PM
njkayaker

are you unfamiliar with cheap chromo frame bikes from the urban commuter fixie brands?
You could easily do more for the people you keep asking help from.

Narrowing it down more than that is frankly an insult to the intelligence of our fellow board members.
Frankly, this is BS. It seems most of “our fellow board members” are skeptical of your story. Your posts routinely “insult their intelligence”.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-04-24 at 10:15 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-05-24, 06:59 AM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
A really good friend of mine commutes on an old (~20yrs) MTB with v-brakes. He buys the cheapest brake pads he can find, which amount to less than I thought possible (less than $2/pair), at least in physical stores. The friend is about 120kg (~260lbs) and he needs new pads every 200-300km (less than 200 miles). He is a professional driver (drove 18-wheelers in USA for years too), so he knows how to apply brakes efficiently. The thing is, those pads seem to be made of some sort of cheap plastic, which may or may not contain some cheap rubber. They are of standard size, but I suspect that they simply are not meant to be used on adult bicycles, though there is nothing on the packaging that states that. I have no idea if such pads are installed on cheapest new bicycles over here (southern Europe), though I would not be shocked considering the trash one can find in stores.

I managed to completely obliterate a set of Jagwire v-brake pads in less than a thousand kilometers (600 miles), but that was on a tour through mountains and mostly on rugged unpaved terrain, with four panniers and a big bag on top of the rear rack.

Not all pads are made equal and some of them are much, much, much less equal than others.
Old 03-05-24, 07:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Narrowing it down more than that is frankly an insult to the intelligence of our fellow board members.
Go ahead. I promise I won't be insulted.
Likes For smd4: