Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bogota - Pan Americana

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bogota - Pan Americana

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 01:35 PM
elina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bogota - Pan Americana

Hello! I am flying to Bogota soon and will start my journey towards the south by bicycle there. Now I am looking for advice weather its a good idea to get a gravel bike in bogota and a tent or if i should get one here in switzerland and take it with me. do you have any experiences with buying a bike and/ or bike gear and camping gear in bogota? do you know any good shops, preferably second hand shops?

also for any advice where to go in colombia or anythin related to that, would be happy to read from you! thank you for your help, elina
Old 03-12-24, 02:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by elina
Hello! I am flying to Bogota soon and will start my journey towards the south by bicycle there. Now I am looking for advice weather its a good idea to get a gravel bike in bogota and a tent or if i should get one here in switzerland and take it with me. do you have any experiences with buying a bike and/ or bike gear and camping gear in bogota? do you know any good shops, preferably second hand shops?

also for any advice where to go in colombia or anythin related to that, would be happy to read from you! thank you for your help, elina
I did a supported bike tour in Columbia approximately 10 years ago. It involved two weeks of riding, with an extra few days on the bike in Bogata and a week of riding in Medellin. Columbia has a strong cycling culture and moderate traffic risk although lots of trucks and buses, and there are few secondary roads. It is also super hilly, so hang on! Both Bogata and Medellin have top-tier bike shops if you want to purchase bikes at prices equivalent to the rest of the world. I rode to Manizales and did the Alto de Letras, a long climb but lots of fun.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-12-24, 02:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
The Touring subforum might be a better place to ask.
Old 03-12-24, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
You don’t already have a tent? What about other camping gear?

And why in the wide, wide world of sports would you want to spend the time and energy trying to find a suitable bike and then start a trek thereon if avoidable?
Old 03-12-24, 02:43 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You don’t already have a tent? What about other camping gear?

And why in the wide, wide world of sports would you want to spend the time and energy trying to find a suitable bike and then start a trek thereon if avoidable?
indyfabz oh, the logic the logic.

@OP, consider your domestic brand Cresta, or the very close to CH Taut Terrain, or Thorn. With TT, you could visit their factory no prob from CH. I would personally go with Thorn.

I have in the past bought bikes at the starting point of a tour. I guess the uncertainty was part of the excitement. But I wouldn't again. Get/bring a bike and gear that works for you.
Old 03-13-24, 09:34 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Colombia.
Likes For wheelreason: