Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Some people.....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Some people.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 08:06 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people.....

You know I just gotta laugh.

I was riding home from work this evening, way off to the side of the road... (as always)

Then some stupid kid comes flying around the curve and yells...

"Get on the sidewalk A$$hole!"

One day, mom and dad aren't going to be able to afford to put gas in his Eclipse.

Come that day, he will be one of many voices complaining about not having the infrastructure...or worse, demanding that we go to some far off desert and take their oil so he can have good times burning it off aimlessly driving around.

Poor underprivileged youth of America. It's not fair that one guy on his bike has to mess it up for everyone!
Old 05-21-11, 12:29 AM
TheHen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Twenty years ago, when we invaded Iraq to make Kuwait safe for the shah, Art Hoppe (a satirist for the S.F. Chronicle) wrote a very humorous piece about our little war for oil. He went on and on about how we finally had a war that young men could support since it was all about keeping gasoline prices low enough for them to be able to afford to drive. Sadly, he was right and those young men grew up and still support such wars.
Old 05-21-11, 06:21 AM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I don't mean to strike political nerves in people about this post (though I probably will, sorry mods..) but that pops into my head when some kid yells at me out of the window of his car. When gas prices hit $8.00 to $10.00 a gallon, these are the people who will be complaining that their taxes have not done more to create infrastructure so they can ride bikes or commute some other way to work.

5 years ago, who would have thought that gas prices would be $5.00 a gallon? And that the general public would come to accept that. What does the next 5 years have in store for us I wonder...

Hopefully more people riding bikes to work!
Old 05-21-11, 08:13 AM
green427

Bikes: GT Fitness series, IBEX Vantage 5500, Raleigh M-80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many times I've wondered if anyone yells at me while I'm riding, since I don't hear a darned thing without my electronic ears. I haven't noticed any heads sticking out of windows with an angry expression either....
Old 05-21-11, 10:29 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silmarillion
YWhen gas prices hit $8.00 to $10.00 a gallon, these are the people who will be complaining that their taxes have not done more to create infrastructure so they can ride bikes or commute some other way to work.

5 years ago, who would have thought that gas prices would be $5.00 a gallon? And that the general public would come to accept that. What does the next 5 years have in store for us I wonder...

Hopefully more people riding bikes to work!
5 years ago I would have thought gas would have been $8/gallon by now. If you weren't hearing those predictions, you haven't been listening. It'll surely be $8 to $10 in 5 to 10 years - it's already there in some parts of the world.

You're DREAMING if you think that when gas hits $8 to $10 that people will be complaining that it's too hard to bike. The very idea is ridiculous. You're talking the USA here. They'll be on the steps of the capitol with pitchforks and torches demanding that we invade other countries and take their oil, and that we bulldoze everyplace that has oil under it and drill.

The majority of people in the US will ride a bike when there's absolutely no oil left at any price and you have a shotgun pointed at their heads. If only the first, they'll just say that they don't have gas so it's impossible for them to get to work.
Old 05-21-11, 12:13 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Report it as aggressive driving and ask that the police visit him and suggest he refrains from yelling out of car windows. Hopefully it will get his attention.

When someone threw a cup at me I called the cops and asked them to pay a visit to the owner. I even offered to go myself if they didn't want to .
Old 05-21-11, 04:38 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Report it as aggressive driving and ask that the police visit him and suggest he refrains from yelling out of car windows. Hopefully it will get his attention.

When someone threw a cup at me I called the cops and asked them to pay a visit to the owner. I even offered to go myself if they didn't want to .
It's best to get the police involved on aggressive driving issues, get their license plate # ! Even if they don't do it that time, they may get enough complaints to be on the watch in that particular area to catch him doing something ?
Old 05-21-11, 05:22 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You know I just gotta laugh.

I was riding home from work this evening, way off to the side of the road... (as always)

Then some stupid kid comes flying around the curve and yells...

"Get on the sidewalk A$$hole!"

One day, mom and dad aren't going to be able to afford to put gas in his Eclipse.

Come that day, he will be one of many voices complaining about not having the infrastructure...or worse, demanding that we go to some far off desert and take their oil so he can have good times burning it off aimlessly driving around.

Poor underprivileged youth of America. It's not fair that one guy on his bike has to mess it up for everyone!
There goes another reason to raise the age for getting a driver's license.
Attempt was made at this in Massachusetts a few years ago. It was protested by,,, get ready for it,, parents of youths who live in the tony 'burbs, west of Boston. Some of the arguments included such divine things as "we have her car all picked out!" and "we have no public transportation". How did I make through the 70s without a car? I'm so confused...
Old 05-21-11, 07:43 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
There goes another reason to raise the age for getting a driver's license.
Attempt was made at this in Massachusetts a few years ago. It was protested by,,, get ready for it,, parents of youths who live in the tony 'burbs, west of Boston. Some of the arguments included such divine things as "we have her car all picked out!" and "we have no public transportation". How did I make through the 70s without a car? I'm so confused...
You're confused, I'm the one who is confused, how do I manage to make it without a car? I mean if a car is such a "necessity of life these days" than how do any of us who don't own a car mange to get around or do anything?
Old 05-21-11, 10:26 PM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
5 years ago I would have thought gas would have been $8/gallon by now. If you weren't hearing those predictions, you haven't been listening. It'll surely be $8 to $10 in 5 to 10 years - it's already there in some parts of the world.

You're DREAMING if you think that when gas hits $8 to $10 that people will be complaining that it's too hard to bike. The very idea is ridiculous. You're talking the USA here. They'll be on the steps of the capitol with pitchforks and torches demanding that we invade other countries and take their oil, and that we bulldoze everyplace that has oil under it and drill.

The majority of people in the US will ride a bike when there's absolutely no oil left at any price and you have a shotgun pointed at their heads. If only the first, they'll just say that they don't have gas so it's impossible for them to get to work.
Hehehe, yeah, I know you're probably right about cycling, but in some big cities like Atlanta, we are limited in every form of alternative transportation. I was really speaking mostly to that. Not too long ago, they actually cut back on the local county's bus system. We have commuter rail in Atlanta, but it too is only really good for travel within the city. Not to mention there was a newspaper article I read that said that the rail expansion is roughly 2million a mile. No one wants to pay for that either.
Old 05-21-11, 10:32 PM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye out for the maroon eclipse. I think I've seen it before. I should report him just so the cops will shake him down..
Old 05-21-11, 10:56 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye out for the maroon eclipse. I think I've seen it before. I should report him just so the cops will shake him down..
You'd be surprised at who knows who ? Who is related to police officers and so on. Word gets back to parents and so on, things get done, are rectified before it gets out of control. Sometimes you have to work the system ?
Old 05-22-11, 09:29 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In MA, citizens are permitted to report improper operation of a motor vehicle to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. (Our DMV.) Some police departments have the form posted. Here is an example. The problem here is that the citizen making the report must be willing to make the effort to follow up. This usually means attending a Registry hearing. This is not an actual court, and the hearing officer is not an actual judge.So, I'm not sure what the legal proceedings might be. Still, we do have this option here. See if your state has something similar.

That aside, I have to agree with Itsjustme. On two occasions recently, I have spotted bumper stickers that read "Nuke their A__ and take the Gas". Both on the backs of rather sad looking vehicles.
Old 05-22-11, 09:49 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for making it into a generation war.
Old 05-22-11, 11:12 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had my first incident in years Friday night. I was a block away from home on side street with no traffic. Punk who was probably trying to impress his girlfriend in the passenger seat drives by with the old "get off the road" cliche, so I chased him down, caught him at a stop sign, and told him "You need to read the vehicle code. Bikes have just as much right to be on the road as cars". His response was to tell me to suck his marbles and call me a hoe before speeding off. Classy guy, huh? I sure hope his girlfriend wises up in the future. Any woman who would be with a man who calls other women hoes just for riding a bicycle has self-esteem issues.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was on the right side of the road, out of the way of motorists. I always try to stay out of people's way.

Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 05-22-11 at 11:27 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-22-11, 11:20 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
I sure hope his girlfriend wises up in the future. Any woman who would be with a man who calls other women hoes just for riding a bicycle has self-esteem issues.
She won't until she's older. I hate admitting this about my gender but women in their 20s and usually through their 30s are just plain butt dumb stupid when it comes to men. One of my favorite sayings is "why do men treat women bad" The answer -- women let them! Point being, way too many women do anything to be with a guy. Unfortunately she won't wise up for another decade or even two.
Old 05-22-11, 11:26 AM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
She won't until she's older. I hate admitting this about my gender but women in their 20s and usually through their 30s are just plain butt dumb stupid when it comes to men. One of my favorite sayings is "why do men treat women bad" The answer -- women let them! Point being, way too many women do anything to be with a guy. Unfortunately she won't wise up for another decade or even two.
+100

That explains why so many women refuse to leave abusive relationships. She did look like she was in her 20's.
Old 05-22-11, 11:51 AM
exile

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I had my first incident in years Friday night. I was a block away from home on side street with no traffic. Punk who was probably trying to impress his girlfriend in the passenger seat drives by with the old "get off the road" cliche, so I chased him down, caught him at a stop sign, and told him "You need to read the vehicle code. Bikes have just as much right to be on the road as cars". His response was to tell me to suck his marbles and call me a hoe before speeding off. Classy guy, huh? I sure hope his girlfriend wises up in the future. Any woman who would be with a man who calls other women hoes just for riding a bicycle has self-esteem issues.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was on the right side of the road, out of the way of motorists. I always try to stay out of people's way.
Perhaps his girlfriend was intimidated by this video and ordered him to say something to you. She probably saw him ogling you and was jealous. Oh freighttraininguphill, the life of the fabulous is truly wreaked with perils .
Old 05-22-11, 12:58 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps his girlfriend was intimidated by this video and ordered him to say something to you. She probably saw him ogling you and was jealous. Oh freighttraininguphill, the life of the fabulous is truly wreaked with perils .

I wonder what she would have made him say if she was intimidated by this one too? The breathing together with the visuals from the one you posted make an interesting combination
Old 05-22-11, 02:27 PM
exile

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I wonder what she would have made him say if she was intimidated by this one too? The breathing together with the visuals from the one you posted make an interesting combination
Thank goodness you didn't overlay the heavy breathing with 1st video. You'd be banned for sure if you don't put "Warning, this content is for mature audiences only" .

Although now that I think about, we just might get a few new members to our fold .
Old 05-22-11, 03:21 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
... is THAT why this girl I've been trying to get out on a date for 3 freaking years won't friggin' talk to me, but comes crying back to me constantly about how these "wonderful caring blahblahblah" guys she's dating dumped her one day, said a bunch of nasty things, and then when I start drawing the story out it sounds a lot like they were abusing her constantly (she doesn't seem to think so... thinks a lot of horrible crap is normal).

I think I'm going to just continue to chalk it up to a complete lack of any understanding of basic social concepts. I've never been on a date, I barely talk to girls in that capacity, I barely talk to anyone ... I can sit in a crowded room and notice one or two people actually exist, and completely miss the rest, because they are all beneath my notice... I just assume that the extremely strange behavior of most people I meet is something counter-intuitive but normal, and just outside my realm of experience with human social practices.

Well, that and I assume all but 3 or 4 people in the entire world are impossibly stupid, and I'll never meet any of those guys.
Old 05-22-11, 05:17 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank goodness you didn't overlay the heavy breathing with 1st video. You'd be banned for sure if you don't put "Warning, this content is for mature audiences only" .

Although now that I think about, we just might get a few new members to our fold .
No kidding I thought I was taking enough of a risk by putting the camera blooper video up, which is why it took me so long to get the courage to do so.
Old 05-22-11, 08:16 PM
silmarillion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crhilton
Thanks for making it into a generation war.
I don't mean to make it into a generation war. As far as the kid in this car is concerned, He was just that. I caught enough of a glimpse of him I was able to pretty much ascertain that 1) at best he had to be 18. He had senior class BS whited onto the car's glass. 2) I know for a certain fact that he had so much crap dangling from his rear view mirror, I was worried if I were on his side of the road he would have been able to see me at all.

Yea for me! I'm a senior! with that and a 15 minute video, I can run the french fryer at McDonalds!
Old 05-23-11, 05:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts

That seems to be the trend. The only drivers to bother me in the last few years have been 20 something guys in pickup trucks. They usually right some ignorant sexual innuendo before peeling off rubber in their rustbucket. Pity ther poor fools.

Marc
Old 05-23-11, 08:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It has always amazed me why a woman would have anything to do with a guy that treats her like crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.