Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be an Idiot Like I was

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 04:46 PM
CrashDarby

Bikes: Dahon Speed Uno (wrecked) Boardwalk S1 (broken)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I just wanted to share a story about a recent car accident I was in.

I'll preface the story by admitting that I didn't think I needed a helmet. I've been riding daily for over a year as part of my commute to work. I have two routes I usually go and on this day I changed my mind halfway. I started riding in the opposite direction of traffic and was coming across a cross walk. There was a car stopped at the cross walk intending to turn in the direction of traffic. Obviously the driver was concerned with having enough clearance to be able to turn, that he wasn't looking for me and we collided.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M...1632709364.png

My bike took most of the impact and I rolled onto his hood and crashed into his windshield. I'm about 220 pound so the windshield shattered and cut the top of my head open in a couple spots. I ended up on the pavement and pretty quickly began to bleed heavily from the cuts. The driver called emergeny services, meanwhile I layed on the pavement processing what had just happened. I was ambulanced to the emergency room and given a few stitches for one of the larger cuts I had. Consequently I was issued a ticked by the police for my fault in the accident.

I was really lucky to have been able to walk away from that with only a few cuts. I'm sure its like preaching to the choir when it comes to most in this community. If there are any of you out there that sometimes ride like I did, please reconsider your habits, you or I might not be so lucky next time.
Old 07-25-11, 04:52 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
glad you are ok.
Old 07-25-11, 04:53 PM
RaleighBikeGuy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Glad you're OK!

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 07-25-11, 04:56 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Glad you're okay, as well.

Welcome to BF.net and I like your Germs reference.
Old 07-25-11, 05:16 PM
CrashDarby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everybody, stitches were taken out last week and now I'm just trying to get my bike road worthy again.
Old 07-25-11, 05:16 PM
CrashDarby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Glad you're okay, as well.

Welcome to BF.net and I like your Germs reference.
good eye sniper, yeah love the Germs.
Old 07-25-11, 06:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Can we chew you out for
"I started riding in the opposite direction of traffic and was coming across a cross walk."
Or is that blaming the victim?
Old 07-25-11, 06:07 PM
CrashDarby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Can we chew you out for

Or is that blaming the victim?
definitely my fault, I shouldn't have been riding there.
Old 07-25-11, 06:35 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrashDarby
I am glad you still able to tell us, considering the elements of the accident.
Old 07-25-11, 06:38 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks everybody, stitches were taken out last week and now I'm just trying to get my bike road worthy again.
No more wrong-way Ninja riding......don't you agree.
Old 07-25-11, 06:48 PM
Unreasonable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happened with payment for the damage? Since you were cited, and it sounds like you accepted that it was your fault and didn't try to fight it, were you able to make a claim to some kind of insurance?
Old 07-25-11, 07:00 PM
CrashDarby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't made any statements admitting fault to the police. I assume the driver or his insurance company could sue me for the damage his car, but this happened a month ago today and I haven't been reached by anybody regarding the accident. I luckily have medical insurance through work which covered all my medical expenses.
Old 07-25-11, 08:57 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad your ok and a good lesson for those that ride as you did.
Old 07-25-11, 09:54 PM
CrashDarby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although Vegas isn't a very bike friendly town, there is a decent amount of people who ride for commuting purposes. I see a lot of unsafe riding and wish there was some way to get some basic safety tips out to them.
Old 07-25-11, 10:54 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just me, but the motorist really has a responsibility to avoid collisions. That's the way I drive and was taught by my father. That regardless of right of way, wrong technique by a cyclist or pedestrian that I have an obligation to preserve human life as being a motorist is a privilege and not a right. Sounds to me like if the motorist was stopped, the light was against him and you could've just as easily had been a pedestrian stepping off the curb. I've witnessed so many drivers that don't even turn their heads to look both ways. A car is the biggest thing of the three on the road and can kill. If as a driver you think someone is going to step off the curb, wait, the few seconds for the inconvenience saves injury and property damage. I know that you getting a ticket says otherwise, but to me the whole thing was avoidable regardless of your actions and for riding against traffic. You wouldn't have been injured, the motorist wouldn't have a bloody, dented car with a broken windshield. How much effort would it have taken to turn his head to ensure the area was clear ? Stop means stop and proceed without hitting anything in my book, I wouldn't even want to rub the sidewalls of my cars tires on the curb. Just me too, knowing that you went thru my windshield, that would really bother me for the rest of my life kind of thing, especially when looking both ways in a dynamic situation as traffic is, means the difference between hitting a cyclist, pedestrian a pet or anything else for that matter. In short I don't empower a slowly developing absolution of a motorist, especially when they are at a complete stop. No driver has to resume driving from a complete stop. "Be sure, 100% sure," is a good motto ?

Last edited by fuji86; 07-25-11 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 12:04 AM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just me, but the motorist really has a responsibility to avoid collisions. That's the way I drive and was taught by my father. That regardless of right of way, wrong technique by a cyclist or pedestrian that I have an obligation to preserve human life as being a motorist is a privilege and not a right. Sounds to me like if the motorist was stopped, the light was against him and you could've just as easily had been a pedestrian stepping off the curb. I've witnessed so many drivers that don't even turn their heads to look both ways. A car is the biggest thing of the three on the road and can kill. If as a driver you think someone is going to step off the curb, wait, the few seconds for the inconvenience saves injury and property damage. I know that you getting a ticket says otherwise, but to me the whole thing was avoidable regardless of your actions and for riding against traffic. You wouldn't have been injured, the motorist wouldn't have a bloody, dented car with a broken windshield. How much effort would it have taken to turn his head to ensure the area was clear ? Stop means stop and proceed without hitting anything in my book, I wouldn't even want to rub the sidewalls of my cars tires on the curb. Just me too, knowing that you went thru my windshield, that would really bother me for the rest of my life kind of thing, especially when looking both ways in a dynamic situation as traffic is, means the difference between hitting a cyclist, pedestrian a pet or anything else for that matter. In short I don't empower a slowly developing absolution of a motorist, especially when they are at a complete stop. No driver has to resume driving from a complete stop. "Be sure, 100% sure," is a good motto ?
I was taught that too, but I fd'd up once and got rear ended. My fault I should have asked him if I stopped would he plan on stopping too.
Old 07-26-11, 03:55 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad your ok and thanks for the story
Old 07-26-11, 06:44 AM
RazrSkutr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're OK. I'm sure you still feel a bit shaken by it all. Glad you're taking the opportunity to evaluate what happened too.
Old 07-26-11, 06:53 AM
GillyTheKid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing. Does this change your mind on wearing helmet? I'm curious because I've been mulling over whether I should wear one or not. I don't really want to. But your story is persuading me.
Old 07-26-11, 06:59 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cracked a rib while doing less than 1 mph when my tires slipped from under me when on a slippery company garage floor. My head hit the ground hard, but my helmet IMO, helped to prevent at the least, a splitting head ache.
Old 07-26-11, 06:59 AM
RazrSkutr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GillyTheKid
Glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing. Does this change your mind on wearing helmet? I'm curious because I've been mulling over whether I should wear one or not. I don't really want to. But your story is persuading me.
That would be interesting.

Compare these two situations:
1. Unhelmeted cyclist collides with car, ends up with a few cuts to the scalp. Decides to mull over behavior.
2. Helmeted cyclist (see this thread), collides with dog. Ends up with 5 stitches and bruising. Decides to post telling everyone to wear a helmet.
Old 07-26-11, 09:00 AM
bemoore

Bikes: Trek 1000C, Raleigh M50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, dang! You're just going to take ALL the fun out of it if you just ADMIT guilt. Geez! :-)
Old 07-26-11, 09:02 AM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually re: riding the wrong way and driver responsibility. To a certain extent I agree with the above posters, but sometimes I am so busy looking for salmons that I have almost hit pedestrians that were in front of me. I feel like i need an owl neck and need to swivel it all around really fast, if I could only process what I see that fast.

I agree we should be more careful when driving and look for people going the wrong way, but also that we are not perfect and can't see all directions at once.

This will be solved someday by AI/robot cars. until then ... I am thinking of making a volvo or mercedes my next car, since they both have sensors hooked up to the brakes to detect obstacles.
Old 07-26-11, 09:23 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
even a helmet can't protect against stupid.

glad you are ok though...and hopefully learned some lessons.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-26-11, 09:26 AM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very glad you were only mildly injured and are now well recovered; this could have been so much worse. And also, thank you for sharing your story, and admitting the truth. I think many of us here would be less inclined to admit to some part of breaking the traffic laws, but nearly all of us do so daily.

My wife (an inexperienced cyclist) did this once, as we biked together out of a parking lot near an intersection on a residential street, and she chose to go between the oncoming car and the curb, rather than reach the intersection, turn left in front of the car at the stop, and continue with traffic. My jaw dropped and I braced for the collision that never came. I explained to her what a risky move that is, but she didn't quite believe me.

I agree with the posters whose position is that the motorist has the greater responsibility to avoid a collision with a bicycle, even when the bicyclist is operating his vehicle on the wrong side of the street. I think it is comparable to watching out for kids running into the street from between parked cars. They have no business there, but the motorist must still exercise caution.

After seeing the number of motorists who pay no attention to the potential bicycle/pedestrian traffic approaching from their right as they scan the oncoming traffic coming from their left, as they prepare to turn right and merge into traffic, I'm far more aware as a motorist than I used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.