Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scary maneuvers that cars do...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 10:42 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One that I find most troubling is when a line of cars are heaped together waiting for a traffic to move. Let's say you're in the bike lane traveling at a reasonable speed. A car to your left ahead of you will pause (Car A) to allow for a car to cross the roadway (Car B) and enter a driveway, or allow for a car to exit a driveway (Car C) while allowing an oncoming car to make a left in front of them. My caution alert, dead zone button flies to alert when these proceedings happen. Just one of those times when I'm on my brake pads cautiously looking at the kindly gesture unfolding. Hey, you didn't ask for my permission to cross the roadway, I aver while applying brakes!

Last edited by Cyclomania; 08-05-11 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 02:56 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Solution: Don't pass on the right, regardless of the existence of a bike lane (or do so with extreme caution when nearing an intersection, which you seem to have figured out).
Old 08-07-11, 03:02 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The car passing the cyclist in order to immediately turn right.
Old 08-07-11, 03:14 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
One that I find most troubling is when a line of cars are heaped together waiting for a traffic to move. Let's say you're in the bike lane traveling at a reasonable speed. A car to your left ahead of you will pause (Car A) to allow for a car to cross the roadway (Car B) and enter a driveway, or allow for a car to exit a driveway (Car C) while allowing an oncoming car to make a left in front of them. My caution alert, dead zone button flies to alert when these proceedings happen. Just one of those times when I'm on my brake pads cautiously looking at the kindly gesture unfolding. Hey, you didn't ask for my permission to cross the roadway, I aver while applying brakes!
In that scenario I simply get into the lane, even when I'm in a bikelane.

I got many scary scenarios, but one of them is when I'm approaching a line of stopped, or very slowly moving cars and I can see in my mirror a vehicle coming from behind at a very high rate of speed only to apply the brakes at the last second; even been near them when they've laid down some rubber. I can see the day when one slams into the last car in the line and rebounds into me.
Old 08-07-11, 04:29 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joejack951
Solution: Don't pass on the right, regardless of the existence of a bike lane (or do so with extreme caution when nearing an intersection, which you seem to have figured out).
So when there's a long line of traffic which goes on for a long time, I'm supposed to merge into the car lane and wait, wha? Anyway, I still practice extreme caution with cars lined up and apply brakes when necessary. I can't imagine pulling in to the everlasting line of cars!
Old 08-07-11, 04:43 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
So when there's a long line of traffic which goes on for a long time, I'm supposed to merge into the car lane and wait, wha? Anyway, I still practice extreme caution with cars lined up and apply brakes when necessary. I can't imagine pulling in to the everlasting line of cars!
Of course not (unless you want to absolutely ensure that you won't get turned into because you were passing on the right). But as I noted, use extreme caution at intersections both for left turning traffic and right turning traffic. In cases where there are two lanes in your direction, I prefer to lane split to get me away from right turners and make left turners more easy to see.
Old 08-07-11, 07:58 PM
Unreasonable

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get into 2 ton missiles without knowing how to properly pilot them.