Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding by the ocean

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding by the ocean

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 09:32 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding by the ocean

We moved from the Midwest to Southern California. Riding in the midwest was great but only feasible for a few months per year.

Here in California we commonly ride by the ocean and I have noticed a few issues. We have. trek SLR with SRAM Red and a second bike with Shimano 105.
Both get rust on the drivetrain. Especially the chain on the bike with the 105.
We use chain lube to protect but we do not wash the bikes after each ride. Is just not feasible.

My question is if there is anything to do to prevent. I brush the sprockets and chain with a wire brush with some success.
Anything else to do? Im guessing the drivetrain won't last as long but Im not worried about that.

I understand is part of the issues when riding with sand and the salt but any tips?
Old 03-24-24, 10:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
After living in Galveston less than 100 m from the water I came to realize that the salt is in the air. There is just no way to get away from it. My rick was to give my bike a bird bath when sand was visible. And then follow up with WD40 over the entire bike. It kinda worked.

Now days if I were back on the Island I would use ArmourAll tire foam as a protectant.

I saw some bicycles over in Galveston that I am sure the only thing holding them together was the rust...
Old 03-24-24, 10:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I ride near the ocean all the time and never noticed any issues. My bikes are steel (apart from a new mountain bike). Maybe chain wax helps?

It would probably be worthwhile to wipe down the bike with a small towel after every ride.
Old 03-25-24, 02:02 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have lived within a couple miles of the Atlantic for 48 years. I ride along coastal highway nearly everyday. I have never had a significant issue with corrosion. I am not obsessive about cleaning my bikes, but I do keep up on the maintenance. My bikes are never stored outdoors. My usual drive train work consists of simply wiping the chain, rings, cassettes and derailleurs with a rag, then lubing and wiping off excess. The chain gets a small drop on each link and wiped really well.
Old 03-25-24, 08:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Lube your chain more often. Or spray all the unpainted metal parts with WD-40 or a decent petroleum base preservative which are essentially just lubes themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll probably get plenty of life out of the stuff whether it's rusted or not Surface rust is more just a eyesore assuming you are lubing the parts often enough for the places you can't see.
Old 03-25-24, 09:04 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Seems like WD40 would do the trick for the drivetrain. But for the finish on the frame it seems an automotive wax or protectant would be helpful.
Old 03-25-24, 11:34 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Fluid Film

aircraft operated within a certain distance from coastal waters require a
different level
of maintenance. Stands to reason bikes could benefit too.
Old 03-25-24, 12:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I ride the coast and at Mission Bay and live 1 mile from the ocean. No problems for me. Carbon fiber frames, Shimano / SRAM components.

Maybe rinse bikes and dry after rides.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-25-24, 01:19 PM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very useful (and yes, salt is definitely in the air).
The frames are carbon so that's all good.

I will use WD40 to coat the metal parts and lube the chain more often.
Old 03-26-24, 07:20 AM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
Fluid Film

aircraft operated within a certain distance from coastal waters require a
different level
of maintenance. Stands to reason bikes could benefit too.
Over WD40 or they are equivalent?
Old 03-30-24, 08:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I realize that the airlines are getting a lot of bad things happening these days, especially Boeing.

Anyways, here goes. Boeshield is a lube that the Boeing engineers developed many years ago and one thing was rust.

If you go to a Marine hardware store, you will find Boeshield T-9 on the shelf. That is a testimony that the stuff works for boaters.

Since you're in So Calif, it would be relatively easy to locate a Marine hardware store.
Old 04-16-24, 02:40 PM
Peevess

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Riding by the ocean sounds like the perfect way to unwind and recharge. Lately, work has been quite exhausting, and I've been craving some time to reconnect with nature and clear my mind. Planning a trip to ride by the ocean and soak in the beauty of the mountains sounds like just what I need, any travel up reviews? I love being close to the water and surrounded by the majestic scenery of the mountains. I can already imagine the sense of freedom and peace that comes with riding along the coastline with the sound of the waves crashing nearby.

Last edited by Peevess; 04-22-24 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 04:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I am also in coastal San Diego like Hermes and frequently near the ocean. I take no measures to protect my bike from salt and have no rust issues. Must be something weird about your area!