Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

32c balloons to 36+ on rim...?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 06:35 AM
cholly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this unusual? Tire is a Clement Strada LGG 32c, at 80 psi both front and rear measure +/-36.5mm on the rim. Internal rim width is 22mm, outside 27mm. Bit too wide for me! I can see going to 33/34, but pushing 37 is toooo wide for the road (for me). They do ride nicely however.... Had them at 60psi but too mushy, as I prefer firmer/faster (yes, I said it).

Thanks for any input/advice
Old 03-25-24, 09:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
The unusual part is 80 psi on 32C tyres. Fair enough if you like the feel, but what is the problem with them measuring wider?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-25-24, 11:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Tire widths are only nominal sizes. So other things can make a difference as to what yours are measuring. As well, I believe the 32mm is just the internal width to the tire casing that the manufacturer puts the rubber over. So you can't really measure that easily.

PSI will make a difference. 80psi seems high for a 32mm wide tire. Just because it might be the max pressure listed on the side of your tire, it doesn't mean you have to inflate them that much. But what can I say? I still sometimes ride on 25mm tires pumped up to 125 - 130 PSI.
Old 03-25-24, 11:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
As well, I believe the 32mm is just the internal width to the tire casing that the manufacturer puts the rubber over. So you can't really measure that easily.
Where did you get that from? I think it’s actually the external tyre width when fitted to a specific rim width, in this case I think the standard is 19 mm internal. So if you are using wider rims then you can expect the tyre to measure wider than labelled. But not all tyre manufacturers are labelling tyre width to this standard, although I think most do now on their latest tyres.
Old 03-25-24, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Where did you get that from? I think it’s actually the external tyre width when fitted to a specific rim width, in this case I think the standard is 19 mm internal. So if you are using wider rims then you can expect the tyre to measure wider than labelled. But not all tyre manufacturers are labelling tyre width to this standard, although I think most do now on their latest tyres.
I don't know exactly where I got that. However it was from someone that writes technical articles such as Leonard Zinn. However I don't necessarily think it was any of his articles as I was reading articles from a lot of writers that dealt with things mechanical on bicycles back then. And it was at least 15 or 20 years ago I read that.

Perhaps it's just the way some manufactures measure it.

Regardless, if the tire measures bigger, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's rubbing on something. Tire sizes aren't exact.
Old 03-25-24, 05:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Usually there can be a 2mm swing between listed and actual so 4mm difference seems strange to me. But your rims are pretty wide so maybe that's why they ballooned out so much. My 33mm Soma Supples measure a true width of 31mm on 18mm internal rims so 🤷
Old 03-26-24, 05:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Inner rim width will change the overall tire width, don't confuse width with rim depth or tire profile.
Old 03-29-24, 05:52 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, the inner rim width also makes it fatter, though some tires do size up 2mm easily. ENVE SES 31c tires measure 34.5 on my rims (25mm internal) when new. They may end up at 35. I run them at 55-60 and I am 175 lbs.
Old 03-29-24, 06:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
My 38mm Rene Herse tires measure ... 38 mm with tubes and almost 40mm without. Nevertheless, they are perfectly good road tires.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-29-24, 07:49 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The unusual part is 80 psi on 32C tyres. Fair enough if you like the feel, but what is the problem with them measuring wider?
Like the OP,, I put 80 psi in my 32c tires. I realize most people would recommend lower pressure, but that's what feels good to me.
Old 03-30-24, 07:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know exactly where I got that. However it was from someone that writes technical articles such as Leonard Zinn. However I don't necessarily think it was any of his articles as I was reading articles from a lot of writers that dealt with things mechanical on bicycles back then. And it was at least 15 or 20 years ago I read that.

Perhaps it's just the way some manufactures measure it.

Regardless, if the tire measures bigger, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's rubbing on something. Tire sizes aren't exact.
It should be based on casing width. One manufacturer could wrap their tire tread far enough around that it would be included in a caliper measurement, while on another tire it might be a narrower band and not therefore falling in the measured width. However, they would have identical (all else equal) amounts of air volume.