Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 03:46 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
You can have my Roubaix if I ever get it back. On one condition... you fly down here and ride it back to your place!
Deal...
You have to ride part way with me tho, now we have riding buddies.

What happened to the Roubaix?
Old 01-23-14, 03:52 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
Deal...
You have to ride part way with me tho, now we have riding buddies.

What happened to the Roubaix?
No **** that sounds really darn cool! It would be really cool riding across the US into canada.

The bike is being repaired, apparently the front shifter cable snapped and does not index. Something along the lines of that. I can ride it but it has to be either in the big ring or the small ring. Can't change.
Old 01-23-14, 03:53 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
No **** that sounds really darn cool! It would be really cool riding across the US into canada.

The bike is being repaired, apparently the front shifter cable snapped and does not index. Something along the lines of that. I can ride it but it has to be either in the big ring or the small ring. Can't change.
Why would you ever shift out of the big ring?
Old 01-23-14, 03:57 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Why would you ever shift out of the big ring?
I dont! it's in case my girlfriend wants to use my bicycle...
Old 01-23-14, 03:58 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'm bored I'll reply, my last purchase was a pair of Shimano A600 SPD pedals:

I bought them brand new in the box off craigslist. Guy had bought the wrong thing and couldn't return them. So I got a deal. Everybody loves a deal!

They went on my road bike, they are SPDs but single-sided ultegra level. Fairly light and I figure nice for urban riding or touring when I want to wear shoes with recessed cleats I can walk around in.
Old 01-23-14, 04:01 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Niloc
Ok I'm bored I'll reply, my last purchase was a pair of Shimano A600 SPD pedals:

I bought them brand new in the box off craigslist. Guy had bought the wrong thing and couldn't return them. So I got a deal. Everybody loves a deal!

They went on my road bike, they are SPDs but single-sided ultegra level. Fairly light and I figure nice for urban riding or touring when I want to wear shoes with recessed cleats I can walk around in.
Nice. I was actually looking to (pretend) buy some of those recently, but all of the online vendors I visited were out of stock.
Old 01-23-14, 04:07 PM
macjager

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K-Edge mount for my garmin and some Giro fingerless gloves on closeout for $11.00 (at JensonUSA)
Old 01-23-14, 04:09 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. I was actually looking to (pretend) buy some of those recently, but all of the online vendors I visited were out of stock.
Amazon has them for $80 with free shipping. I used that to talk craigslist guy down. Got em for $60 cash new in box. I like 'em so far, they aren't double sided so they're not quite as brainless to get into as typical SPDs. They will hang down cleat facing back to slip into, but they are slow to rotate into that position. Very smooth but a little slow to spin, although after about 40 miles of riding they've already sped up a bit, I think the grease just needs a little loosening up. I was tempted to adjust the bearing play but I think I'll ride them a bit more first. They have a nice big platform to step on.
Old 01-23-14, 04:15 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Amazon has them for $80 with free shipping. I used that to talk craigslist guy down. Got em for $60 cash new in box. I like 'em so far, they aren't double sided so they're not quite as brainless to get into as typical SPDs. They will hang down cleat facing back to slip into, but they are slow to rotate into that position. Very smooth but a little slow to spin, although after about 40 miles of riding they've already sped up a bit, I think the grease just needs a little loosening up. I was tempted to adjust the bearing play but I think I'll ride them a bit more first. They have a nice big platform to step on.
That's what made me check them out. I'm guessing even if you don't get clipped in right away you still have a pretty large platform to pedal with and you could probably get by with street shoes for short distances if need be.
Old 01-23-14, 04:32 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have the A530 pedals for the very reason of being able to use regular shoes from time to time if desired. The platform isn't that big really (those A600's don't look much different, might even be a narrower platform than the A530's). I do like them very much, though.
Old 01-23-14, 05:21 PM
Niloc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what made me check them out. I'm guessing even if you don't get clipped in right away you still have a pretty large platform to pedal with and you could probably get by with street shoes for short distances if need be.
Yep I've pedaled a few strokes through intersections etc not clipped in. I even pedaled off on the non-cleat side a few times and it got me off to a start until I could clip in. Maybe you could ride it with street shoes for short distances - folks say stuff like that, but never gonna happen for me - I have a cruiser utility bike with platforms for that. For this bike I'll always have cycling shoes on. But the platform will let you pedal off fairly securely without being clipped in which is reassuring to know for city riding at lights etc. Also I think the large platform may offer more comfort over longer rides with SPD shoes that don't have super stiff soles, because the load will be better spread across the foot.
Old 01-23-14, 05:27 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok since I am bored time for me to do some catching up!

One of these:

wait...so you got the Giant instead of the venge?

Last edited by bianchi10; 01-23-14 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 05:36 PM
Niloc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have the A530 pedals for the very reason of being able to use regular shoes from time to time if desired. The platform isn't that big really (those A600's don't look much different, might even be a narrower platform than the A530's). I do like them very much, though.
The A530 is a different animal, it is designed to be rideable on the non-cleat side in regular shoes. The non-cleat side on the A600 is curved and not meant to be used as a platform. Like I said I unintentionally pedaled off on the non-cleat side a couples times, until I could find the cleat, but it's not meant to be used that way and I'll be avoiding doing that, as the bearings loosen up and it spins more freely and I develop a bit more technique. On the cleat side it does provide more contact with the sole of the shoe than many SPDs which may help you pedal off without being clipped in right away and also provides better contact for power transfer. But I would never set off to ride the bike with these pedals without wearing cycling shoes.

RPK79 if you want to be able to ride sometimes with regular shoes you should definitely look at the A530s. The A600s are more performance oriented, for one thing they are substantially lighter (almost 100 grams). I'm not a weight weenie, but that weight isn't just on the bike, it's rotational mass you have to push around with each stroke. I know that I'll always ride this bike with SPD shoes, so I don't need to have a proper platform on the reverse side. I do like that I can wear shoes with a recessed cleat though, which are heavier than true road shoes, but much friendlier for a lot of the riding I do.
Old 01-23-14, 05:50 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sls-kit-carbonio-flow.jpg (67.1 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg
2014_Vigor_set.jpg (41.2 KB, 365 views)
Old 01-23-14, 06:05 PM
Niloc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

Are you putting those on your Rivendell? That just seems bizarre.
Old 01-23-14, 06:16 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Yep I've pedaled a few strokes through intersections etc not clipped in. I even pedaled off on the non-cleat side a few times and it got me off to a start until I could clip in. Maybe you could ride it with street shoes for short distances - folks say stuff like that, but never gonna happen for me - I have a cruiser utility bike with platforms for that. For this bike I'll always have cycling shoes on. But the platform will let you pedal off fairly securely without being clipped in which is reassuring to know for city riding at lights etc. Also I think the large platform may offer more comfort over longer rides with SPD shoes that don't have super stiff soles, because the load will be better spread across the foot.
you guys should look at Crank brothers... they have a huge variety of SPD-ish (their own CB cleat, not spd compat.) pedals with different sized platforms
Old 01-23-14, 06:28 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Are you putting those on your Rivendell? That just seems bizarre.
Yep...looks awesome too. Just wait until I start sticking Di2 on it.
Old 01-23-14, 06:35 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

These look nice!
I use the A530's, luv them, but shaving off 100 grams makes those so much sexier.
I'll have to keep my eye out for these guys.
Old 01-23-14, 07:04 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
wait...so you got the Giant instead of the venge?

Yes I did. And while I may agree is not as hot.. it is much better bike after riding the two. The Venge deal fell through the cracks after my LBS kinda bailed out on me.
Old 01-23-14, 07:43 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I did. And while I may agree is not as hot.. it is much better bike after riding the two. The Venge deal fell through the cracks after my LBS kinda bailed out on me.
sorry, I'm just the opposite. I think this is going to look even Gooder!! I like the venge, but they have to be set up just right in order for them to look Hot for me. If they aren't hot, they generally are very much a not. I have seen this giant built up with 404s and it will look sweet, I promise you! I dont know if I would have rocked a team bike, but regardless, it will look great. Can't wait to see it!
Old 01-23-14, 07:56 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to Goodwill and picked up a new, never used, Craft short sleeve jersey for......................................... $2.99!!!!!
Old 01-24-14, 11:12 PM
dgarzoli

Bikes: 2013 Litespeed C1 Race; 2012 Specialized Roubaix Pro UI2, 2012 Specialized Stumpjumer FSR Expert Evo Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my last purchase..... https://www.powertap.com/collections/...arbon-wheelset
Old 01-25-14, 12:46 AM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
Giro Empires
A couple weeks on, any opinion formed on these? Tempted to pick up a pair on sale with how comfy they're supposed to be...
Old 01-25-14, 01:38 AM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM

Do you have a scale to weigh it? it's supposedly 115g correct?

I'm looking to trim some fat off the bike.
Old 01-25-14, 08:58 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
Does this finally mean I get to have you Venge or Roubaix?
I already have a Giant so...
take him up on his offer, fly down and ride back, depending on where you live in Canada it would only take about 900 hours of riding, or if you do 100 miles a day you'll be home in about 9 days, even with a one day break in the middle you back in 10 days! Do a credit card tour so you don't have to carry much. There is even a designated bike system from Atlanta to Ontario area. Take a GPS so you can prove you rode it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.