Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to ride on this kind of road?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 11:42 AM
beowulf7
World's Most Modest Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll include a picture when I get a chance to take one, but for now, I'll just try to describe it. Near where I live, there's a 5-lane road that has a speed limit of 50 MPH. It's the main road to go from my town to an adjacent town that has shops and restaurants I often visit (so far, only by car). The road is 2 lanes in each direction plus a middle lane used to make left turns for either direction. Unfortunately, the road has a very thin shoulder, literally 6" or less. Therefore, it's not possible to ride on the shoulder.

Is it possible to safely ride on such a road? If so, how? Should I break the law and ride in the rarely-used middle lane? Should I ride on the very right side of the right lane and hope that cars can pass me without bumping into me? Or should I ride in the middle of the right lane, forcing cars who want to pass me to go on the left lane? Since I live in TX, realize that I'm competing w/ many speeding pickup trucks. And many drivers here are on their cell phones, hence my paranoia. TIA.
Old 09-01-08, 11:57 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
That's a tough one. I don't think I'd ride it myself. I'm paranoid about riding near traffic anyway and will ride twice the distance using back streets rather than do the shorter run on a busy street let alone a busy connector highway.

There's no other options like a bike path through the woods or side roads through adjacent residential or farming areas off to the side?

Unless there's a big river or bad gully in the way I'll bet there's a wooded path. If so that would be my choice ever time and just use a mountain bike.

Highways and roads with higher speeds usually have minimum speeds. Also that center lane is for turning cars. Cars that will be cutting into and out of the lane in both directions so you're risking a head on with a car that suddenly realizes that they almost missed their turn and snaps into the lane at the last second. Equally if you try to "take the lane" on the right most and hold up the folks trying to do between 50 and 70 mph you'll soon be a blot of dampness on the pavement. And with only 6 inches of paved shoulder I sure wouldn't want to ride that sort of tightrope where a very slightly wandering driver could slap you with a side mirror or just plain wander over and clip you.

If the shoulder is packed gravel I'd suggest a mountain bike with knobbies and just ride on the gravel well off to the side. And then dodge the broken glass as best as you can.
Old 09-01-08, 12:00 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on roads like this only occasionally... if there is another option, take it.

When I do take roads like this, I stick about 1 foot left of the white line, generally about where a car's right tires would go. DO NOT ride in the center turning lane. Nobody will expect you to be there. 1 foot to the left of the line will force traffic to move around you. If you ride too close to the right edge, you're more likely to be forced completely off the road. But riding on these roads is never very safe since generally, the busier the road, the more it angers drivers to have you there.
Old 09-01-08, 12:01 PM
ALLSTOTT

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 30 mile commute on a busy road in phoenix where people cant drive and havent had a problem. i ride far right closet to the white line, and thats what id recommend unless there is an alternate less traffic road. id also recommend making yourself stand out. like i wear a super bright orange vest so theres no way to miss me unless you arent even paying attention.
Old 09-01-08, 12:04 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That doesn't sound at all difficult with multiple same direction lanes. On this road I would just use my typical default position in taking a position that makes it blatantly obvious that I am using the entire right half of the right lane. Which is usually the right tire track or a little to the left of that.
Old 09-01-08, 12:23 PM
BCRider

I definetly like the bright colored vest idea. One of the full on orange with reflective yellow bands as worn by the road crews MIGHT get their attention. Even if you only wear it for that one section of road it would be worth it. At speed too many drivers aren't thinking and looking far enough ahead. Something that really stands out will catch the attention of thir mouse sized brain that's talking on the cell phone or changing CD's in the deck instead of driving.
Old 09-01-08, 12:28 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd use the car, no question. All the hindsight in the world won't do me any good in the grave.
Old 09-01-08, 01:04 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a tough one. I'd say you have plenty of room to ride safely, but if you are the one person regularly riding on this road, drivers aren't going to be expecting to see a cyclist which I think is half the safety battle.

I think the bright vests are a good idea. Also, coming from a fellow Texan, I'd think about attaching an American or Texas flag to the back of your bike. Get one of those safety flags for bikes, then attach Ol' Glory. While the Bubbas may think you are a pansy Yankee for riding your bike, they'll think twice about running over the flag. (If you aren't from the South, you wouldn't understand.)
Old 09-01-08, 01:19 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinpolitico
This is a tough one. I'd say you have plenty of room to ride safely, but if you are the one person regularly riding on this road, drivers aren't going to be expecting to see a cyclist which I think is half the safety battle.

I think the bright vests are a good idea. Also, coming from a fellow Texan, I'd think about attaching an American or Texas flag to the back of your bike. Get one of those safety flags for bikes, then attach Ol' Glory. While the Bubbas may think you are a pansy Yankee for riding your bike, they'll think twice about running over the flag. (If you aren't from the South, you wouldn't understand.)

Or put a gun rack on a Xtracycle wideloader, and tell them you'd rather give your money to Budweiser than to British Petroleum.

Seriously, though, could you just drive that stretch and then ride the rest?
Old 09-01-08, 01:22 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Or put a gun rack on a Xtracycle wideloader, and tell them you'd rather give your money to Budweiser than to British Petroleum.
If you are getting a gun rack, you might as well get a Waffle Bike: https://austinbikeblog.org/?p=508.
Old 09-01-08, 01:25 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously, though, could you just drive that stretch and then ride the rest?
While you shouldn't ride a section of road that you consider too dangerous to ride, some of this is psychological. I'd try it on a weekend morning when the traffic is light. If it feels too dangerous during this kind of ride, then forget about it as a regular route. If not, then try it during busier times. I think you won't know until you at least try, and you shouldn't dismiss the use of your bike until you know more.
Old 09-01-08, 01:34 PM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
I'd use the car, no question. All the hindsight in the world won't do me any good in the grave.
Good choice. No ones ever died in a car wreck ....
Old 09-01-08, 01:36 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tippy
Good choice. No ones ever died in a car wreck ....
Given the choice between cycling and driving on a five-lane road with 50mph traffic and a 6" shoulder, I'll take the vehicle that allows me to match speeds while encased in two tons of steel. You're free to use the bike in such situations. It's a bit too hardcore for me.
Old 09-01-08, 01:36 PM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beowulf7
I'll include a picture when I get a chance to take one, but for now, I'll just try to describe it. Near where I live, there's a 5-lane road that has a speed limit of 50 MPH. It's the main road to go from my town to an adjacent town that has shops and restaurants I often visit (so far, only by car). The road is 2 lanes in each direction plus a middle lane used to make left turns for either direction. Unfortunately, the road has a very thin shoulder, literally 6" or less. Therefore, it's not possible to ride on the shoulder.

Is it possible to safely ride on such a road? If so, how? Should I break the law and ride in the rarely-used middle lane? Should I ride on the very right side of the right lane and hope that cars can pass me without bumping into me? Or should I ride in the middle of the right lane, forcing cars who want to pass me to go on the left lane? Since I live in TX, realize that I'm competing w/ many speeding pickup trucks. And many drivers here are on their cell phones, hence my paranoia. TIA.
I ride on quite a few roads of that nature (Moreland Avenue's/GA 42 is the best example around here. Four lanes with occasional center turn lanes). Usually if traffic is light, the cars behind me can pass easily enough, if traffic is heavy none of the cars are going any faster than I am anyhow.

Cars passing at a high speed can be unpleasant and nerve-racking, but it isn't particularly dangerous. If it's the most efficient route to a useful place I'd certainly be using it myself.

My guidelines would be, if the rightmost lane is wide enough to safely share position myself on the righthand third of the travel lane. If it's too narrow take the lane. I'd only move into the leftward lanes if I need to to either make a left turn or leave a right turn only lane (actually there are a few other situations ... parked cars or unloading trucks, broken pavement, debris in the road).

As a quick summary of cycling in traffic I like John Allen's Street Smarts
Old 09-01-08, 02:44 PM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long of a stretch is this road? How heavy is the traffic at the times you would be riding? Are there alternate routes? Is there a sidewalk?

I think without the answers to these questions, I can't offer you any practical advice. FWIW, I would ride it some weekend morning or afternoon to get a feel for the road and see how people react. You will probably find that most people just pass you without a sound. I would pay strict attention at all intersections and not worry about overtaking traffic that much, as they will probably see you.

And remember, like many have said already, it's not a sin to drive. Sometimes it really does make more sense. Whether this is one of those cases, I have no idea.
Old 09-01-08, 04:41 PM
BCRider

You guys that are calling out to take the lane. This is a 50 mph road and I'll assume that a lot or most of the traffic along it runs at more like 60 to 65 like most roads up this way. That's a serious amount of overtaking speed. I know that I would not be happy having a car come up from behind me at that speed bright vest or not.
Old 09-01-08, 05:41 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, how busy is the road? If its relatively easy for traffic to change lanes to pass you then its going to be more of a pleasant ride. Also how straight is the road? If its fairly straight it should be possible to ride safely but if there are a lot of blind curves you may wish to avoid.

Get a mirror. You definitely want to know traffic is overtaking safely. At those speeds traffic needs to overtake with lots of room, and most will but riding in the gutter is not going to encourage them to do it. I would ride a few feet out - it gives you a buffer zone to escape if someone is coming up too close, but it doesn't force a lane change so some lazier people will move slightly into the next lane to pass.

With some practice you can gauge when you expect people to move over to pass - they will do this well behind you. If they aren't moving over yet you have two options:
1. Wounded wing - Wobble a little bit in your lane. This makes you look unpredictable and definitely people will want to change lanes or slow right down if they cannot.
2. (and use this if 1. doesn't appear to work) - What is beyond the roadway - gravel shoulder, or a curb? Bail if it doesn't look like the vehicle can overtake you safely. This should be a really really rare occurence.
Old 09-01-08, 05:59 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
You guys that are calling out to take the lane. This is a 50 mph road and I'll assume that a lot or most of the traffic along it runs at more like 60 to 65 like most roads up this way. That's a serious amount of overtaking speed. I know that I would not be happy having a car come up from behind me at that speed bright vest or not.
I concur. One of my possible routes (which I have no confidence in attempting) is Hwy 117 between Sapulpa and Glenpool/Jenks. It has hills, which can create blind spots at those speeds. It's also a 5-laner, but with one notable exception to the OP's: instead of the white line, there is a curb. I have no desire to earn my "high speed bunny hopping manuver" merit badge.
Old 09-01-08, 06:16 PM
Danre
Will Pedal For Food

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As some already said, do NOT take the center turn lane. And I also agree with those would suggest really looking for a alternate route. If you do not know one, look at close maps of the area (Google is your friend here). You might just find a path.

I would not ride such a road, unless there is really a small amount of traffic and drivers can switch lanes easily. It simply does not sound safe to me due to the legal speed limit being 50mph. Also, if there is a center turn lane, then that probably means that there are going to be drivers turning towards your right, who are or aren't opposing your direction, and drivers coming out towards the street from your right. Too many cars, too high of a speed, and no space for you.
Old 09-01-08, 06:17 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have a 10 mile stretch during my 28 mile one-way commute that is similar to what you describe.

I cycle 9 mile to this road, catch a bus (they all have bike racks) and travel that section in the safety of mass transit.

Once I get to better roads & traffic, I exit the bus and start riding the bike.

Do you have this option?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-01-08, 06:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The road as described sounds not too unusual for urban/suburban riders. Be visible. Be predictable. Be aware/use a mirror. I'd be near the right edge of the right lane.

I see idiots riding in middle turn lanes pretty frequently. Pretty idiotic.
Old 09-01-08, 06:30 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
To the OP- You aren't riding into the sun at any time on this road, are you?
Old 09-01-08, 06:43 PM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCRider
On the other hand the questions were "how to ride?" on it and "can it be done safely?".

The "how to ride" is pretty straightforward, and based on the outside lane width, which I don't know. But
if it's a narrow lane, taking the lane is the right thing to do.

The "can it be done safely?" question depends largely on the rider (not on the road). Being hit from behind is not common except at night, unless the stats have shifted significantly in the past decade (since I've bothered to look at them).

Burnaby, eh? Believe it or not I have a lot of fond memories from there. When I'd travel to Vancouver I'd typically find a motel along Lougheed Highway, and take the bus in.

Last edited by larryfeltonj; 09-01-08 at 06:43 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 09-01-08, 08:32 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not that Budweiser is an American company either.
Old 09-01-08, 09:04 PM
beowulf7
World's Most Modest Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate them.

I'll answer your questions and elaborate a little in arbitrary order.

This stretch of road is about 3.5-3.6 mi. to get to from my development to the area where the shops, restaurants, etc. are. Also, this would be almost the halfway point if I were to bike to my gym.

For me to get to that other town, this is the main road to get there. There are some areas within various neighborhoods and developments that go somewhat parallel to this road, but it'd only do about a couple miles of it.

Yes, I can wear bright colored clothes, as some of you mentioned. I can also take use my taillight that rapidly blinks red to make myself more visible to cagers.

The speed limit changes between 45 and 50 MPH, but most drivers do about 55-60 MPH.

I wouldn't necessarily use this road to commute to work on a daily basis (although I may try it in the fall when the weather cools), but on weekends to go to the gym and run errands. Also, there's a nice hike and bike trail that requires me to go this way before turning on another road. Sure, I can drive there and put the bike in the rack, but I'd like to ride the whole thing if possible.

I've only seen one biker on this road in the past 1.5 years. And that dumbass was going in the opposite direction (i.e. far left lane).

Finally, here's a quick pic I snapped w/ my phone. I can take better ones and different angles, but this pic should give you an idea of this road. As you can see, there are no sidewalks for me to bike on. Since my bike is a hybrid bike that leans towards a road bike (Trek 7.3 FX), I can't really bike on the wild grass.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by beowulf7; 09-01-08 at 09:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.