Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1987 Mongoose Maugusta 5000

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 11:09 AM
jrjr43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Mongoose Maugusta 5000

Hi everyone. I have 1987 Mongoose Maugusta 5000 still in it's original box unopened. Does it make any difference if the box has never been opened? Are there websites that can give you a rough worth of this at this time?
Bike was given to me by someone who thought it was junk and throwing out.

Thanks for anyone's input.
Old 06-12-18, 02:17 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I don't think NIB bicycle values equate to other hobbies,where MIB command premiums. The problem is you can't display a bicycle in a box. Well, you can but it doesn't have much impact. It also hides any damge that may have occurred over three decades. Basicaaly, the buyer is taking a risk with a sealed box purchase. Bicycle buyers typically want to see the conditiopnof what they are potentially purchasing.

The Mangusta 5000 wasn't a high end bicycle. It was one of those competent lower mid-ranger models that came out in the wake of the mid-1980s aluminum frame craze. The frame uses bonded aluminum main tubes with chromium-molybdenum stays and forks. Components are reliable and good performing but nothing to write home about: Shimano Light Action derailleurs and brakes, Shimano B126 crankset and Suzue hubs laced to Araya SS-40 rims in 700C size. Basically, the components are upper entry level,but the frame (at the time) elevated the bicycle into the next level.

The MSRP was $470US. In good condition these would typically go for about $150-$20 0in most markets. Mint would warrant a premium but not a lot given the level of the bicycle, unless you can find someone who is a Mangusta collector or has a sentimental attachment for this model. If you get lucky, maybe $300 and that's assuming it is a popular size.
Old 06-12-18, 02:50 PM
jrjr43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks T-Mar. This information is very useful. IS it better for me to assemble the bike or just show as is in the "open" box un-assembled? It's a 27" inch so i'm not sure if that is a popular size.
Old 06-12-18, 04:12 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
27" is HUGE for a frame size. Very few manufacturers made frames that big, as they were for people WELL OVER 6' tall. . I have a road test for a 1987 Mangusta 5000 and it states that the largest frame offered was 63cm (~25"). A lot of times, people confuse frame size with wheel size but this shouldn't have 27" wheels. If it really is a 27" frame, then that explains why it's been sitting for so long. Double check the frame size.

Personally, I'd assemble the bicycle but it doesn't sound like you have much experience with bicycles. Paying somebody to assemble it will cut into your profit which will be shrinking if the frame really is that big, as the market is very limited. Hopefully, some other members will post their thoughts on leaving it in the box.
Old 06-12-18, 04:25 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with T-Mar on the values. I read this earlier and literally have seen listings average that. Was even thinking new in box might be $300 or so.

As for leaving in the box, I would, even though not sought after it could bring you more money from the right person. There is something about owning something old that is new. Try and get pics out of the box. If not, do your best to show inside and go from there with the buyer. The problem with Mongoose is that is it a crossover bike. BMX guys don't usually like gears so you loose most of that market, and road guys typically don't like bikes that are not well known road bike manufacturers. There was a guy selling new in box Shogun Touring bikes in the last 6 months. His ask was $1200, and from what he said, he was getting about $1000 when he held out for the right buyer. So may be able to get more than $300 if you wait.