Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 09:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What's the proper etiquette for riding a bicycle on sidewalks?

It, in essence depends on location, local density, courtesy , and your speed..

I have a curb to curb 4 lane highway , 1/2 block down the hill from my house..

Returning home I am counter flow on the sidewalk , but slow, and have little trouble sharing the space..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-05-20, 11:17 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Here in California , as in many states , it is illegal to pedal a bike on a sidewalk. I took cycling class in the seventies at a local Community College and was taught the vehicular cycling method of cycling. If you are walking your bike you are a pedestrian and may use crosswalks and sidewalks. The minute your fanny hits the saddle and your feet are on the pedals, you are a vehicle. It is that simple . If the road is too dangerous , then walk your bike on the sidewalk or find a detour. We have a "Share The Road" law here that is supposed to give you a 3' barrier , but even the police do not observe it. We do have share sidewalk/ bike lanes but they are marked with a separation stripe which designates an area for pedestrians and one for bikes, very few honor it! I have been yelled at by pedestrians for being on these "multi use paths" so I avoid them if at all possible. I am not out to educate a pissed off pedestrian, I am just out to ride my bike. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.
California has no state wide legislation regarding where cyclists ride, it is up to each city/county. Ventura county restricts cyclists from sidewalk riding in business districts.

Also a bicycle is not a vehicle under the code in California.
Old 06-05-20, 12:36 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
California has no state wide legislation regarding where cyclists ride, it is up to each city/county. Ventura county restricts cyclists from sidewalk riding in business districts.

You are correct , I just looked it up. It surprises me as a bicycle when ridden is certainly not a pedestrian. I still believe in the controversial "vehicular cycling" . It just makes more sense to use the road versus riding on sidewalks . The recent "share the road" law in California makes it more possible than ever to avoid sidewalks. We have to respect the same laws as motor vehicles in most circumstances. Joe
Old 06-05-20, 01:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62
Way back when I lived in Chicago, I was downtown and I wanted to get to the lake but the nearest road was one way the other direction. I moved to the sidewalk and rode slowly only to be stopped by a police officer who told me to get off and walk, or ride on the street. It was a weekend and there wasn't much pedestrian traffic. At least I didn't get a citation.
I'd have went against traffic. Self propelled transportation cannot do the same as an automobile. Anyone that says you should go the direct of cars or risk a ticket is not using common sense with logic. If you were on a motorcycle, then you would be required to drive the same distance as the car would.
Old 06-05-20, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

But a bicycle is a vehicle in San Francisco, and if you're over 13, forbidden from being ridden on sidewalks.
Old 06-05-20, 02:51 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
But a bicycle is a vehicle in San Francisco, and if you're over 13, forbidden from being ridden on sidewalks.
A bicycle is not a vehicle in San Francisco, under the Calif Vehicle Code all persons riding a bike must follow the same rules and regs as a person operating a vehicle unless inapplicable. Calif code allows local laws governing where cyclists can ride, SF is pretty strict.
Old 06-05-20, 03:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
A bicycle is not a vehicle in San Francisco, under the Calif Vehicle Code all persons riding a bike must follow the same rules and regs as a person operating a vehicle unless inapplicable. Calif code allows local laws governing where cyclists can ride, SF is pretty strict.

Whoops, you're right. It's confusing because the municipal code refers to "Non-motorized User-propelled Vehicles (NUV)", but vehicles with a "chain, belt, or gears" are excluded from that category in the definitions section.
Old 06-06-20, 01:15 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
In my opinion, there are certain high traffic, relatively high speed congested streets which if they cannot be entirely avoided, using a parallel street with less traffic, I do deem it acceptable to for a minimal short stretch as necessary, riding on the sidewalk at a very slow speed until such time that I can make my way to a safer street upon which to ride.

SLOW SPEED IS IMPORTANT AT ALL TIMES WHEN ONE MUST RIDE ON A PORTION OF THE SIDEWALK, INSTEAD OF THAT DANGEROUS, HIGH TRAFFIC STREET WITH MULTIPLE LANES AND A TRAFFIC FLOW THAT "speeds" AVERAGING GREATER THAN 45mph WHEN THE TRAFFIC LIGHT SIGNALS SYNCH TO PROMOTE A MORE RAPID FLOW OF AUTOMOBILES such as 7am to 10am AND BETWEEN 3pm and 7pm.

Avoidance of such dangerous streets and roads is the best solution but as everybody knows, there are just sometimes no alternative solutions when you must navigate from one area of your city to another area.

RIDING AT A SLOW SPEED IS ESSENTIAL WHEN YOU MUST RIDE ON A MULTI-USE PATH THAT IS CONGESTED WITH CHILDREN, DOGS ON LEASHES, GRANDMAS & GRANDPAS WITH CANES WHO ARE EATING ICECREAM, JOGGERS, PEOPLE ON THOSE POWERED SKATEBOARD THINGS THAT PROBABLY ARE PROHIBITED FROM SUCH PATHS, The Young Father Running With Year Old Daughter in the Fancy Running Stroller and their Black Labrador named BoBo running along on the left side of the stroller and their Chocolate Lab named Hershey running along the right side of the stroller................you get so many folks along that MUP that it is impossible to predict exactly how those pedestrians will weave about..............................SLOW DOWN!!!
There is No Excuse for being that dumbass arrogant bicycle pilot that appears to be attempting to set a new world landspeed record.
You've got to go SLOW on sidewalks too because if you're hauling azzz and folks exiting residential or business driveways do not expect to encounter a cyclist wizzing down the sidewalk at 23 mph or even 13mph. You've got hedges, landscaping, shrubs, fencing, walls, signs, telephone poles and other items that obstruct the view from cars attempting to exit driveways. They may be limited to 70 feet or so visability of that particular sidewalk in one or both directions..........might be less than 50 feet....................you cannot really fault those drivers trying to exit driveways BECAUSE they typically DO NOT EXPECT THAT ANYTHING IS COMING DOWN THAT SIDEWALK AT GREATER THAN A FAST JOGGER........................................-you see they mentally calculate that not even the fastest marathon runner from Kenya can't come into view and reach their exit point................................YOU ARE HAULING AZZZZ AND THE SIDEWALK IS WINDING AND DOWNHILL and AwPhu.....BOOM!!! you and the 2019 MERCEDES SUV collide.

Realize that just because your bicycle may be capable of cruising 22mph, you are not entitled to travel beyond the posted speed limit on multi-use paths, or what would be deemed safe and prudent given the current conditions of pedestrian occupancy at that moment in time!
DON'T BE A JERK!! If You Cannot travel SLOW enough, well you should ride someplace else.
Yes, you can argue all you want that so and so was in the wrong by unexplicably weaving while walking and that otherwise you would have had the hole you needed to get through the crowd. Guess what the Judge is gonna say when she/he determines that conservatively you were travelling at least 13mph. You'll be scolded and blamed for having poor judgement and creating the fiasco. Common sense says that some stupid fool aboard a bicycle simply cannot ride like the wind on a multi-use path where folks are congested, walking at the slowest pace. Joggers get the same sort of reaction from Judges when they cause mayhem with pedestrians along crowded paths, so it isn't exclusive to the jerks on bicycles.

As to Sidewalk Riding: DO IT ONLY AS NECESSARY and RIDE SLOWLY AND VERY CAUTIOUSLY because you may not actually be as safe as you think !
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 06-07-20, 03:07 PM
Surubi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Copenhagen sidewalks

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Where I grew up it was illegal to ride on the sidewalks. Old lady called the police on me and she never used them except to cross and get I her car. But when I was in Munich Germany I saw they have bike ways in the center of the sidewalks just for bikes. If your walking on it you can get hit. Looked like the walkway to be until I learned.
In Copenhagen bike lanes are between the sidewalk and roadway. A pedestrian may not walk in the bike lane or a cyclist ride on the sidewalk. However, in some neighborhoods the sidewalks are quite narrow and the carelessly parked bikes make it impossible to walk on the sidewalk, and cyclists yell when you step into their, full width, lane. I was amazed when I found myself cursing one of them.
Old 06-07-20, 07:35 PM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I ride on walks all the time. I don’t make people get off the pavement I ride in the grass and go around them. Seems polite enough for me.
Old 06-08-20, 11:11 AM
FrankBooth

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in NYC, only on the sidewalk usually for a minute if maybe a narrow street or crazy traffic foolery.
Old 06-08-20, 11:12 AM
SweetRower

Bikes: StreetStrider, Trek bellville, Rowbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sidewalks

Originally Posted by Snow Dog

The reason I ask is because I generally try to stay on the road but there are certain stretches of roads that are busy and have cars parked on the side of the road. I use the sidewalk in those cases but fortunately, where I ride I only need to use sidewalks for a short distance.

Yesterday I was using the sidewalk for about a 1/8 mile stretch. A young lady walked out of an alley about 50 feet in front of me and walked toward me. I didn't have anywhere to go or time to get out of her way. We ended up passing each other in opposite directions on the sidewalk.

I felt like I was in the wrong.

I don't want to be that guy that gives cyclists a bad name. Was I out of line here?
danger danger danger Will Robinson
When I see some1 I dismount
Old 06-08-20, 11:23 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

The reason I ask is because I generally try to stay on the road but there are certain stretches of roads that are busy and have cars parked on the side of the road. I use the sidewalk in those cases but fortunately, where I ride I only need to use sidewalks for a short distance.

Yesterday I was using the sidewalk for about a 1/8 mile stretch. A young lady walked out of an alley about 50 feet in front of me and walked toward me. I didn't have anywhere to go or time to get out of her way. We ended up passing each other in opposite directions on the sidewalk.

I don't want to be that guy that gives cyclists a bad name. Was I out of line here?
Here in Loudoun county, there are sidewalks that function as MUPs. They’re generally paved in macadam and wide enough for their purposes. Also, many of the roads don’t have room for cyclists l though those that do are well travelled. I’ve been reluctant to ride in the roads because they not that strong a rider, but now that I have my ebike I’m more confident and have done so where necessary.

Etiquette wise, the general rule is pedestrian and skateboarder priority.
Old 06-08-20, 12:11 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This has been covered so many times before on this forum, but we are CYCLISTS, and no matter the safety issue with riding in the street, we do not belong on sidewalks. Note, the word is sideWALK, not sideCYCLE.

If you feel the area in which you live is not safe for riding in the street, then don't ride there. Put your bicycle in/on your motorized vehicle, and go pedal somewhere more secluded, or find a quiet bike trail. You could also "get on your big boy pants" and do something about i! Advocate for a bike lane or get involved with Rails-To-Trails and help to create more safe areas in which to ride your bicycle. Unless there is a clearly-marked bike lane involved, STAY OFF OF THE SIDEWALKS!
Old 06-08-20, 12:32 PM
Clarinetrox

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It’s the sideWALK. You should never ride on the sidewalk, dismount if it’s really necessary to be on there.
Old 06-08-20, 12:48 PM
rwag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The state of Arizona, where I live, does not have a law against bicyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks with other pedestrians. However, the state does allow each city to determine their specific bike laws. It could be legal in the state, but still illegal in the city you are riding in.
Old 06-08-20, 01:13 PM
rwag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidewalk Riding

The state of Arizona, where I live, does not have a law against bicyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks with other pedestrians. However, the state does allow each city to determine their specific bike laws. It could be legal in the state, but still illegal in the city you are riding in. my personnel opinion is that bikes belong on the street as a courtesy to the pedestrians.
Old 06-08-20, 01:22 PM
rwag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidewalk Riding

The state of Arizona, where I live, does not have a law against bicyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks with other pedestrians. However, the state does allow each city to determine their specific bike laws. It could be legal in the state, but still illegal in the city you are riding in. my personnel opinion is that bikes belong on the street as a courtesy to the pedestrians.
Old 06-08-20, 07:27 PM
cacher

Bikes: Specialized roll

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ride on them when necessary, since Ive never seen a bicyclist run over by a car on a sidewalk.
Likes For cacher:
Old 06-08-20, 07:56 PM
BobbyMo

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In NYC its a criminal offense to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk unless one of the following is true:
1. you are crossing it (similar to how a car crosses into a driveway or parking lot).
2. you are 14 years old or younger
3. the sidewalk is marked as a bike lane

Note that getting a summons for riding a bike on a sidewalk requires a court appearance. (In comparison, running a red light or speeding, does not.)

In NYC, sidewalks are for pedestrians and children.
Old 06-08-20, 10:44 PM
schulz46
Old Timer 46

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Tarmac & 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes have no choice

I try never to ride on sidewalks unless it is a multifunctional sidewalk where boh are allowed. I will say I'm being forced to do it because the road has no bike lane and very busy making it dangerous. Then I ride cautiously and slow down for all walkers. I don't use a bell but do say passing on the left or right. If that doesn't work I just stop until there passed me.
Likes For schulz46:
Old 06-08-20, 11:08 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
in a couple of the cities near me it is illegal for anyone over the age of 16 to ride on a sidewalk and MUPS are limited to 16mph.
Old 06-08-20, 11:54 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

If you are an adult you should not ride on the sidewalk. The speed of a bike is too fast and anyone coming out of a doorway is in danger. If you must be on the sidewalk ride at walking speed or simply walk your bike.
Old 06-09-20, 06:16 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I often ride sidewalks. One virtually no one uses them in my area. When on the rare occasion I make sure and get out of the way of the person walking. Sometimes by getting on the road briefly sometimes by cutting in the grass off of the sidewalk. I ride mostly Greenways but there are a few roads connecting them that by riding the road causes fast going cars to bunch up causing problems. In these areas it's much safer to ride the broken sidewalks. Just give people and their dogs the right of way.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-09-20, 09:20 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
For those of you promoting riding a bicycle on the sidewalk. How would you feel if your child, significant other, or parent walking or coming out of a store was injured by an adult bicyclist who was riding their bicycle on the sidewalk? Remember that most people who do ride on a sidewalk do NOT slow down to walking speed when they do so.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.