Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting back some fitness after Covid?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting back some fitness after Covid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 03:06 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
I could not read much of the article because of the cookie preference pop up on my phone that was to big for me to use the toggle buttons of to the right lol.
But I can see the date is Sept 2020 . I would seek out more recent info. Our doctors have had three more years to learn about COVID treatments .
I was in ICU for three days in early May and received remidisvir antiviral and it worked well.
Two weeks later I saw my GP in his office and he was totally on board with riding but did not want me to exceed 135 BPM. I have been in the 140 s lately but don’t stay up there . I am predominately zone 2 and low zone 3. I am not a fast pace rider but an intermediate. Post Covid it is more slow paced and I don’t like it much.
Four months later I have not yet returned to pre Covid form. My body tells me if I have pushed to hard.
You should talk to you doctor. Get current info. He will listen to your heart and lungs.
I stayed on a trainer slow spinning and found my way outside soon.
Doctors and pulmonary folks at the hospital told me six months minimum in my case. Since you were not hospitalized I would expect you will fair better. I had confirmed Covid Pneumonia.You probably did not.
Weather is turning here so I will be on trainer more than outside soon.
Good luck
Thanks, Skullo, that's a good point about seeing my Doc to perhaps get some current guidance about getting back into the athletic world. I feel like things are well, but at yoga class I had a little scare when we held the push-up in the Sun Salute flow a little extra long and my left eye felt odd and the colors were odd as well. Maybe I need to get checked out after all. I didn't have any pneumonia or other recognizable disease symptoms, save that on Day 2 of Covid symptoms I was feeling very out of it and mistakenly thought I was having a stroke. A trip to Urgent care, where the doc ran me through all the neurological screenings, refocused me on Covid as my basic problem, and put me on Molnupiravir aka Lagevrio. Essentialy 5 days after that I was feeling extremely better.

My primary care physician has always been concerned about my resumptions of exercise when I have lapsed for a while, so she will probably want me to do some cardiovascular screenings. At least, I think it's smart to get her opinion about my status.

I think I should try a few isometric yoga poses at home to start a little focused body building in a gentle fashion.
Old 09-25-23, 09:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Caught it for a second time on a Rick Steve’s tour 5 days ago in Wales. One young lady evidently was not too cautious prior to the tour’s depart and eventually it spread to 8 out of 16, who were forced to bale. Got home in two days and on Paxlovid on day 5. Am presently enjoying that wonderful rusty railroad spike taste. Will hopefully be easing back into cycling in a week or so. Fingers crossed, no rebound. Symptoms were similar to a bad cold.

We were hyper cautious going across the pond and durning training to the tour wearing N95s for hours on end hopefully saving ourselves. No good deed and all that. Then we got to wear them home hopefully saving others.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-25-23 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-26-23, 09:40 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Caught it for a second time on a Rick Steve’s tour 5 days ago in Wales. One young lady evidently was not too cautious prior to the tour’s depart and eventually it spread to 8 out of 16, who were forced to bale. Got home in two days and on Paxlovid on day 5. Am presently enjoying that wonderful rusty railroad spike taste. Will hopefully be easing back into cycling in a week or so. Fingers crossed, no rebound. Symptoms were similar to a bad cold.

We were hyper cautious going across the pond and durning training to the tour wearing N95s for hours on end hopefully saving ourselves. No good deed and all that. Then we got to wear them home hopefully saving others.
Anecdotally, a very large portion of cases that I've heard of in the last year have been associated with long-distance travel.

BTW, I've always admired Rick Steves, but traveling in groups is not our thing.
Old 09-26-23, 10:36 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Tested positive this morning. 51yo, vaxxed and boosted. Last booster was this summer.

I work in a Petri dish: high school staff, we had 2 large school functions during the day Friday, and I attended the Homecoming Football game Friday night. Pushed hard on a planned long ride Saturday, sucked more than I thought it would. Resting heart rate has been elevated (according to FitBit) for the past several days. Sore throat and mucus Sunday & Monday, only rode the mile back and forth for work Monday.

Felt lousy this morning (head, joints, muscles) and didn’t sleep much last night, so I got up and did a normal 12 mile workout on the bike. Usually wakes me up after a rough night and helps me get ready for work. Didn’t help, so I took our last home COVID test. Popped hot as fast as the last time my wife took a pregnancy test - less than 30 seconds. Got darker blue until it was as dark as they get at 10 mins.

District nurse ordered me to stay home until next week. And then I have to wear a mask. Sigh. Was on track to get 300 miles this month, and have a 44 mile charity ride on the 7th that I probably won’t go do.

Still haven’t called the VA to see what they have to say.
Old 09-26-23, 12:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Anecdotally, a very large portion of cases that I've heard of in the last year have been associated with long-distance travel.

BTW, I've always admired Rick Steves, but traveling in groups is not our thing.
Traveling in groups was never our thing.
We always were revolted by large groups of people being led by someone carrying a flag or umbrella with everyone wearing name badges - 100 to a group. We avoided them like the plague and did all our own planning, travel, driving/bus/train, hotels etc. After 3 trips driving on the left side and having to always concentrate to not make an error, as well as some super narrow carriage-ways we decided it was time to let someone else do the driving and let us instead enjoy the scenery, as well as commentary on interesting historical and geographical features. We did approach it with some trepidation but several of our longstanding friends raved about Rick Steves and especially the wonderful people they met. Tour are limited to 26 folks. And we were pleasantly shocked at how wonderful our fellow companions were from all walks of life ranging from physicians, to an appellate judge, business owners, social service directors and so many more. They were interesting, very funny, outgoing and as a ground rule established no discussion of politics or religion allowed. Everyone complied and it was an experience that well exceeded our expectations, COVID aside. Several of out travel mates were repeat Rick Steves participants and a couple went with other groups and said only Rick Steves for the future. Oh and we joked that our guide had encyclopediac knowledge since he couldn’t be stumped, but also had fantastic organizational skills, an outstanding sense of humor, personable and wonderful people management. We are now staying in contact with several people we met on the trip and have open invitations to stay with them, and one is even coming for dinner in Oct. From skeptics to believers. We didn’t know what we didn’t know - until now.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-23, 02:04 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
We always were revolted by large groups of people being led by someone carrying a flag or umbrella with everyone wearing name badges - 100 to a group. We avoided them like the plague and did all our own planning, travel, driving/bus/train, hotels etc. After 3 trips driving on the left side and having to always concentrate to not make an error, as well as some super narrow carriage-ways we decided it was time to let someone else do the driving and let us instead enjoy the scenery, as well as commentary on interesting historical and geographical features. We did approach it with some trepidation but several of our longstanding friends raved about Rick Steves and especially the wonderful people they met. Tour are limited to 26 folks. And we were pleasantly shocked at how wonderful our fellow companions were from all walks of life ranging from physicians, to an appellate judge, business owners, social service directors and so many more. They were interesting, very funny, outgoing and as a ground rule established no discussion of politics or religion allowed. Everyone complied and it was an experience that well exceeded our expectations, COVID aside. Several of out travel mates were repeat Rick Steves participants and a couple went with other groups and said only Rick Steves for the future. Oh and we joked that our guide had encyclopediac knowledge since he couldn’t be stumped, but also had fantastic organizational skills, an outstanding sense of humor, personable and wonderful people management. We are now staying in contact with several people we met on the trip and have open invitations to stay with them, and one is even coming for dinner in Oct. From skeptics to believers. We didn’t know what we didn’t know - until now.
Pretty much my experience too. Maybe I'm just getting older and lazier. lol

For the most part, we plan our own itinerary, and just go and explore. But last year, we went to the Middle East and thought it best to go with a group and a guide. It was actually very good. The people were nice (we were younger than most), and it was definitely nice to not to have to worry about the logistics of getting around over there. It was also great because our guide was uber knowledgeable, and that kind knowledge really enriches the experience.

We have a vacation to Patagonia and the Galapagos Islands coming up. That's going to be a smaller group and we'll be doing a lot of hiking and the like. I am a little concerned about all the new COVID infections. But I will (as I have for some time) wear a mask in airports and airplanes, and I got the latest vax a little over a week ago. I just hope I don't come down with it while on the trip, as that would really really suck.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-26-23, 02:50 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Sounds like a great experience. You maybe should follow him onto the continent, even though they drive on the right side of the road. I think his trips to Italy are particularly highly regarded.
Old 09-26-23, 04:04 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Best of luck for anyone recovering from that crud. And to those few who haven't had it yet.

After a year of wondering whether or not the next trip to the grocery store would kill us both, my wife and I were grateful to be vaccinated in the 2nd tier. By then, the vast 'trial' already had millions of participants, while half a million were already dead. I never realized before how much of Americans wellbeing can depend on who is the governor of their state. Our's was great, thankfully. We kept masking, not wanting that crud in our bodies. But, like death and taxes, it was inevitable, I suppose.

My wife came back from a trip and tested positive in late April. I went out the next day to get my second Phizer bi-valent booster. I thought that if we can't isolate effectively, then nobody can. Two weeks later, the conclusion was in favor of nobody. She had had painful bronchitis, but not pneumonia, took Paxlovid, and was her old self after a week. I got the sniffles pretty bad for two days, and started Paxlovid (two-pill version while stopping my statin) on day four, and felt completely well on day five. Didn't test negative until day fourteen, however.

Last edited by Fredo76; 09-26-23 at 07:25 PM. Reason: remove controversy
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 09-26-23, 05:09 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
We need to keep mention of politics ,government and such out of this thread.
I find this thread informative and useful. Too much of this will get it closed by the mods.
Fifty plus needs this kind of sharing about our covid experiences.
Old 09-26-23, 05:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Biker395
Pretty much my experience too. Maybe I'm just getting older and lazier. lol

For the most part, we plan our own itinerary, and just go and explore. But last year, we went to the Middle East and thought it best to go with a group and a guide. It was actually very good. The people were nice (we were younger than most), and it was definitely nice to not to have to worry about the logistics of getting around over there. It was also great because our guide was uber knowledgeable, and that kind knowledge really enriches the experience.

We have a vacation to Patagonia and the Galapagos Islands coming up. That's going to be a smaller group and we'll be doing a lot of hiking and the like. I am a little concerned about all the new COVID infections. But I will (as I have for some time) wear a mask in airports and airplanes, and I got the latest vax a little over a week ago. I just hope I don't come down with it while on the trip, as that would really really suck.
We did our own planning for 2 days prior to the tour start to acclimate to the time change and took the train from Heathrow to Oxford and spent out time there marveling at the stupendous architecture and gardens. We then trained to Bath to join the tour. We also planned on an additional two days in London post tour as well just to keep a hand in travel planning.

My father did the Galapagos and said it was as fascinating as his all time favorite trip to the game parks in Africa. We did Africa too and can’t wait to return. No doubt the most impactful and meaningful travel we have done. (Watched a few bike packing series on YouTube on Patagonia and it looks breathtaking).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-23, 05:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Sounds like a great experience. You maybe should follow him onto the continent, even though they drive on the right side of the road. I think his trips to Italy are particularly highly regarded.
Super idea.

We have used Rick Steves guide books for 20 years and travel abroad annually except during COVID lockdowns (Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Greece/Spain/Portugal). We have had 4 trips to Italy and done it from one end to the other. Absolutely love the country, the food and the wine but 4 times is enough, plus it is overrun with people like us - tourists. We have found the Rick Steve’s guide books spot-on with recommendations and ratings, but may now go the tour route, from now on. Thinking Turkey, or eastern bloc countries next year.

Old 09-26-23, 06:22 PM
MinnMan

Super idea.

We have used Rick Steves guide books for 20 years and travel abroad annually except during COVID lockdowns (Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Greece/Spain/Portugal). We have had 4 trips to Italy and done it from one end to the other. Absolutely love the country, the food and the wine but 4 times is enough, plus it is overrun with people like us - tourists. We have found the Rick Steve’s guide books spot-on with recommendations and ratings, but may now go the tour route, from now on. Thinking Turkey, or eastern bloc countries next year.
It is good that you are adventurous. Turkey and eastern Europe offer a lot, and I've only scratched the surface in those places. Croatia is the most obvious place to start.

But you can never visit Italy too many times. I'm not sure how many times I've been. Maybe 8 or 9? Twice last year. And my wife and I are planning to go again in May.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-26-23, 06:28 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Skullo
We need to keep mention of politics ,government and such out of this thread.
I find this thread informative and useful. Too much of this will get it closed by the mods.
Fifty plus needs this kind of sharing about our covid experiences.
I"m with Skullo here. I have a feeling that over in P&R, where I used to hang, he and I disagreed pretty severely. But keep the politics out o this thread. It's useful health information in a good venue.
Old 09-27-23, 01:26 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
For myself, I am fully vaxed and boosted and was exposed to an infected person six days ago. Shortly thereafter I was hit with positive antigen tests and moderate symptoms (sore throat, headache, cough, fatigue) for three days. During that time I had to share driving duties (with my also-infected spouse) returning from the mountains while ill, which was pretty trying and probably set us both back a bit. Now I'm at Day 5 after initial symptoms and I actually feel pretty darn good and have no symptoms. I can't take Paxlovid due to a possible dangerous drug interaction. I'm still isolating and masking but I'm bored to death and feel like I could jump on the bike and ride. The nurse I talked to at the hospital said that her experience has been that those who are up to date on their boosters and are in good physical condition are almost always fully recovered before Day 10. Those who are not typically take much longer to recover or lapse into Long Covid.
An update on the above:

On Day 11 after infection I started on a rigorous 7-day, 366 mile bike tour (the Oregon Rectangle tour documented in the Classic & Vintage forum) with lots of climbing and gravel roads. This was my first ride following Covid. I was pretty nervous about the first day but it actually went really well with the exception of a persistent cough. I had no ill effects and kept up with the group (except for a few of the younger, exceptionally fit participants who were always off the front). It's now Day 23 and I still have that darn cough but it seems to be waning.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-06-23, 08:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Two weeks out from originally getting sick I did a 40 miler today. Took it relatively easy but still managed a couple of surprise PRs, one on a flat and one on a two mile hill climb. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-07-23, 02:02 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Super idea.

It's not that Italy is overrun by tourists, it's just that the areas that the guidebooks direct everyone to are overrun by tourists (and this goes especially for the Rick Steves guides). I have a close Italian friend who lives in Bologna and always tells me "Dave, Dave, don't go to the big famous places. Instead go to the out of the way places. They are just as good and don't have the crowds of visitors". That said, I have been to a number of the big famous places (Pompeii, Positano, Florence, Cinque Terra) and they are beautiful and brimming with art. However, I have had much more fun touring through the countryside and visiting small out of the way villages and towns.
Old 10-07-23, 04:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by davester
It's not that Italy is overrun by tourists, it's just that the areas that the guidebooks direct everyone to are overrun by tourists (and this goes especially for the Rick Steves guides). I have a close Italian friend who lives in Bologna and always tells me "Dave, Dave, don't go to the big famous places. Instead go to the out of the way places. They are just as good and don't have the crowds of visitors". That said, I have been to a number of the big famous places (Pompeii, Positano, Florence, Cinque Terra) and they are beautiful and brimming with art. However, I have had much more fun touring through the countryside and visiting small out of the way villages and towns.
We cycle toured on our own through the countryside and it was marvelous, staying away from the big towns other than Siena, where we started.

Old 10-07-23, 04:50 PM
David_Harris

Did a shorter distance on the charity ride - skipped the 44 and did the 20. Finished in a very reasonable (for me) time, and not that it means anything besides as a measure of how I’m doing on my recovery, before anyone else on that ride. Averaged about the pace I hoped to, completed the hill climb at a good pace and without stopping until the turn-around.

The first guys in from the metric century were a group of 3 guys that did it together in just a touch over 3hrs. Could not have safely tried that, I think!
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 10-08-23, 05:06 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I get to start up after my first bout with Covid, 9 days out since positive test. Feel pretty good now, didn't have any respiratory issues, but a slight nagging cough. I will take it easy on the trainer at first, monitor HR closely. I got back on the bike in June after some time away, plenty of time to get back in shape. I had to drop out of a bike ride that I had signed up for weeks ago and volunteered as SAG for the ride today instead.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 10-09-23, 11:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Interesting observation post second round of COVID. Based on three rides, my average heart rate appears to be about 10 BPM faster, but when I hit redline (about 180-182) I am not feeling totally gassed like I used to. So even though my heart is working harder, I am not getting as tired as I used to at 170+. My max is 192. Very odd. Will be interesting to see if it goes back to the previous average of 142.

Old 10-12-23, 01:25 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
My first bout was in March of 2020 and I was sick for about a week. I was (what I thought) very fit with a FTP of around 300 and did various events throughout the year. Once I 'recovered' I could not get anywhere near back to that level of fitness. I had nowhere near the lung capacity and I felt dead after even after short rides. I also had lifelong issues with depression so it was a real battle as everything was shut down in the world. If my job didn't have me going out every day I don't think I would have made it through. I contracted covid 3 more times with each subsequent infection becoming less harsh with the last one 3 weeks ago kept me in bed for only a day. As far as my training is concerned I am getting back slowly but being very cautious. I listen to my body now instead of training to exhaustion. My heart rate zones are even close to where they were prior to covid but my FTP is still low and I am 50 lbs overweight but I am definitly getting stronger daily strictly following a plan
Old 10-13-23, 09:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Saw my physician yesterday for paperwork for a PSA screen and we talked about a small nagging productive cough and higher than average heart rate, post COVID. She told me to slow down for a couple of weeks and take it easy. Might consider it if things get worse or don’t resolve.

Edit: The cough has resolved and went out and did 30+ miles at an average speed of 18 MPH, so I have completely recovered. Whew

Last edited by rsbob; 10-14-23 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 02:15 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Got the Covid (first time that I know of) 12 days ago. Even though I still feel weak in the knees, I want out for a ride today because at age 75, I always feel weak kneed, First 4 miles were good, and then I almost ran out of energy, but we were only a mile from home. Glad I went out. The Fall colors came when I got sick and are almost gone today,

I took Paxlovid and have been mostly symptom free since day 3. Am wary of a relapse. Probably should have rested another day, but this was our last day above 60F.
Old 10-29-23, 02:55 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
And after a second short ride on Day 13, plus an hour of blowing leaves, I am really tired. Almost sick again. Day 14 will be spent streaming Day of Thrones.
Old 11-01-23, 12:58 AM
David_Harris

Finished October back on my training plan for El Tour de Tucson in November - I’ll be riding my first metric century. Resting heart rate is back down, but I still have a bit higher gucky mucus production and accompanying occasional cough. Singing voice is not back to where it was yet, but I am able to hit some high notes (1st tenor), not as reliably as before. Need to work on it, Christmas choir season is upon us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.