Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Running Helps you

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Running Helps you

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 04:08 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Running Helps you

For all the Tri people out there. or anyone who runs as well. Do you think running a bit a few times a week. Would make you a faster cyclist?

Benefits? problems?

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 07-31-16, 04:18 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not a tri person but I run 4 miles at lunch a few days per weak. it makes your legs stronger and certainly helps your cardio

Last edited by FXjohn; 07-31-16 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-31-16, 04:28 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
As with many things, I'd say it depends. Variety in workouts can be beneficial for both strength and stamina. I have three issues, though, with saying that running helps. First, I don't feel running provides the change in a workout (from cycling) you can get from other activities such as rowing, swimming, or racquetball. Second, if you're talking about adding an activity, running can have detrimental effects on appetite and create an overuse impact on muscles. Third, if you're suggesting replacing some cycling time with running, the potential is obvious. My preference is rowing to supplement my riding because I can get a good cardio and overall workout without stressing my biking muscles and joints.
Old 07-31-16, 07:05 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Any additional form of exercise IS BENEFICIAL providing there is no injury. PURE AND SIMPLE!!!!

Will it make you climb better, sprint faster, give you more endurace********** If the alternative to doing the OTHER exercise was to do nothing, the answer is YES.
Old 08-01-16, 09:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If it takes time away from your cycling, it will probably do more harm than good. It'll give you a bigger match book though. Being a cyclist makes it easier to pick running up (still, start slowly, add distance a little at a time) but running doesn't help with cycling as much. The impact is good for your bones though.
Old 08-01-16, 11:42 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Running pros:
- Positive effect on bones
- Inexpensive
- Less affected by weather

Running cons:
- Risk of injury, particularly as you age and don't do it regularly

If you want to improve cycling performance you're far better off cycling. Running is good for overall fitness but it will hurt your cycling performance.
Old 08-01-16, 07:27 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If it takes time away from your cycling, it will probably do more harm than good. It'll give you a bigger match book though. Being a cyclist makes it easier to pick running up (still, start slowly, add distance a little at a time) but running doesn't help with cycling as much. The impact is good for your bones though.
THAT'S COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG. Running will help with your cycling, cardiowise, but cycling does nothing for your running.
Old 08-01-16, 07:47 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
THAT'S COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG. Running will help with your cycling, cardiowise, but cycling does nothing for your running.
Running doesn't need a strong cardio? Or cycling doesn't help cardio? Don't follow your logic.
Old 08-02-16, 07:26 PM
sprince

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe that running requires more than cardio.
Old 08-02-16, 07:59 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I dunno about that. I recently ran two 5k legs of a duathlon (my wife did the cycling) and completed each leg in about 22ish mins, all without any run training and I frankly hadn't run a 5k since 2009 (and my time then was 35:10) and was fat and out of shape until I started cycling in late 2013. Yes, I was sore for a few days from using muscles I don't cycling, but my performance is solely attributed to cycling fitness. However, I will grant that I probably won't be able to improve my time without some run specific training (which I am unwilling to do lol)
Old 08-03-16, 05:54 AM
xeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a triathlete and to be good at each of the individual sports is to train at each one. There is some spill over with general fitness but they're three individual sports. Being able to run a 15:00 5K isn't going to win a TT and a 50:00 TT 40K isn't going to get you a 15:00 5K.

That said I do triathlon for the multi sport aspect of it although I LOVE riding my bike! Cross training keeps things interesting and using various muscles for a good overall physique.

If you do run and enjoy it, build slowly and get some real running shoes. It is a high impact exercise.
Old 08-03-16, 06:33 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Running will not make you a faster cyclist, cycling will.
Some benefits to running include, most return on fitness in a short amount of time, little equipment needed, you can run anywhere at any time, and the the impact of running help build bone density.
Some problems with running include, higher risk of injury due to impact exercise, due to the ease of running a higher probability of over training, and it can be addictive.
In my experience the only form of exercise that can possibly make you a faster cyclist is swimming. The hypoxic nature of swimming can be beneficial to time trials. However you can achieve the same result through fast intervals on the bike. Ymmv.
Old 08-03-16, 06:59 AM
inspclouseau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I travel a lot for work, which keeps me off the bike at times. Because of this I try to run 2 days a week, ride 4. On my travel weeks, my riding is cut down to 2 days but I can still get in a couple of days of running.

Being able to run in my particular case helps my bike performance through fitness maintenance and keeping the weight down.

Also, I believe the combo of running and interval training really help shed weight - which equated to better fitness on the bike.

Lastly, running seems to help work out kinks in my core that are otherwise stiff from riding.

Oh one last thing, really not a fan of running at all. :-(
Old 08-03-16, 11:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm in the camp that running hurts cycling because it takes energy away from cycling. OTOH, I find that hiking in the mountains greatly helps my cycling because it's all zone 1, so it's recovery time, plus it helps with leg and core strength and flexibility. I hike with poles, so it's good for my upper body, too. But I wouldn't trail run if I were trying to get better at cycling.

OTOH if I didn't have time to bike, I'd certainly run as an alternative, preferably trail run because I absolutely love it.
Old 08-03-16, 12:59 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Many world class athletes cross train these days for a number of reasons. Their reasons need not necessarily apply to amateur athletes but among those reasons are maintaining fresh workouts, better recovery in the event of injury. It is harder to prove but I'm of the opinion that all parts of the body should be trained to nearly the same level. An imbalance where one part of the body is very much stronger and fitter than another likely not productive long term.
Old 08-03-16, 06:14 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm in the camp that running hurts cycling because it takes energy away from cycling. OTOH, I find that hiking in the mountains greatly helps my cycling because it's all zone 1, so it's recovery time, plus it helps with leg and core strength and flexibility. I hike with poles, so it's good for my upper body, too. But I wouldn't trail run if I were trying to get better at cycling. OTOH if I didn't have time to bike, I'd certainly run as an alternative, preferably trail run because I absolutely love it.
Except the taking energy away from cycling argument only applies to those elite athletes who already train on the bike 6 hours a day, where 6.1 would be too much. OTOH if you only have 6 hours per week you might have a point, with the caveat that doing nothing but cycling may help your on bike performance now, but will surely cause you problems down the road.
Old 08-03-16, 07:51 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We have a few runners in our cycling club and they are not strong or fast on the bike because they spend too much time running. A tri-athlete must do all three to get strong at the three events, but if you just cycle, I would jog for a change of pace rather than for training.

Any endurance workout will be beneficial in overall health but may not help your cycling times.
Old 08-03-16, 07:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by sprince
Except the taking energy away from cycling argument only applies to those elite athletes who already train on the bike 6 hours a day, where 6.1 would be too much. OTOH if you only have 6 hours per week you might have a point, with the caveat that doing nothing but cycling may help your on bike performance now, but will surely cause you problems down the road.
If like me, one has the time and recovery to train on the bike an average of ~10 hours/week then it's still the same problem: you'd be substituting training to run for training to cycle. And they are not the same thing. If they were, tri would be no thing.

I used to run many years ago when I didn't cycle. But more years ago than that, when I cycled a lot, I didn't run. Both running and cycling helped my skiing, but not running for 50 years certainly hasn't hurt my cycling. The group I ride with picks up newbies all the time: broken runners who now only cycle. I don't hear of running groups picking up broken cyclists. Certainly the broken runners are in better aerobic condition that if they hadn't been running but it does take them a while to come into cycling form, no matter how many marathons they've run.

Back in the day when I raced Nordic, there was a talented XC runner who was so frustrated with me because he knew he'd whup my butt on foot, but couldn't stay with me on skis. It takes time to turn talent and conditioning into ability in another sport. And once you've done that, you'll be worse in your original sport.

So yeah, if you want to really ride, then ride. If you're not that taken with riding, then also do any other athletics you feel like doing.

I have a license to fly, but payment is on the installment plan, the payments are steep, and only one currency seems to be acceptable.
Old 08-04-16, 04:50 AM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If like me, one has the time and recovery to train on the bike an average of ~10 hours/week then it's still the same problem: you'd be substituting training to run for training to cycle. And they are not the same thing. If they were, tri would be no thing.
But you have already said that you do other stuff. It's not so much about the running specifically, substitute any other exercise, like hiking. Cycling is particularly constrained and repetitive as sports movements go.
Old 08-04-16, 09:18 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by sprince
But you have already said that you do other stuff. It's not so much about the running specifically, substitute any other exercise, like hiking. Cycling is particularly constrained and repetitive as sports movements go.
Thanks for helping me to organize my thoughts. Yes, I do exercise other than cycling and recommend such.

It's all about recovery. If one wants to improve cycling performance as much as possible, then the principle of specificity applies. Anything that requires recovery should be cycling specific. The wall that one runs into is hormonal depletion. If one's glands get tired, one can't go hard anymore. Heart rate doesn't come up, power during hard efforts falls off. One grabs a lower cog on familiar hills. One is overtrained or at least overreached. So that's the limit and the knife edge one walks if one is trying to improve as much as possible in any aerobic sport. We train as hard as possible without going over that edge.

For instance I've used a training program which recommends cross training early in the base period. Perhaps that's in there to increase saddle time more slowly than aerobic base work, or perhaps it's there to help strengthen connective tissue early on, in either case to reduce the risk of injury. For a few years I rode the Stepmill at our gym when the program called for cross training. However it didn't help my cycling at all and I finally quit doing that. It increased my aerobic training load was all.

I have found that some forms of cross training are helpful:
Cycling-specific weight work in the gym definitely helps. Even though it adds training load from which I have to recover, it's worth it. However I do longer workouts in winter as part of base training and then greatly shorten them in duration and frequency when I start doing hard rides and intervals in the spring.

Walking/hiking in zone 1 or below as a recovery tactic definitely works. I can substitute hiking for a day off in any training plan with no penalty. I can go hiking in the mountains the day after doing an extreme ride in the mountains with no problem and the day after hiking I can do form work on the bike, which I would do anyway, no problem.

Walking could be substituted for hiking on a day off just fine, just not aerobic walking. Zone 1 or below.

However when folks talk about running, they're running for aerobic fitness and that creates a glandular training load from which one must recover, while not adding cycling specific fitness.

A couple further examples:
this time of year I'm done with my hard rides and looking forward to our annual 10-day backpack in the Cascades or Sierra. So now I'll switch gears and start training for that. I've almost stopped cycling. I'm increasing my gym time and hitting the muscles and ranges of motion that I see hiking and don't see so much on the bike. I'm starting to run a little, but carefully so as not to get injured. Running is hiking specific training.

I have a riding buddy, much stronger and younger than I, who decided to run his first marathon with his son this summer. He disappeared from our riding group. I haven't seen him in months. I haven't even seen him since his marathon as he's presumably recovering and trying to get back into good enough cycling shape to keep up with the group again. Specific training works.
Old 08-04-16, 09:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Running is the worse thing you can do. It's a high impact activity. You're knee and other joints will haunt you into your older age if you become an avid runner.

Last edited by prj71; 08-04-16 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-04-16, 12:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
We have a few runners in our cycling club and they are not strong or fast on the bike because they spend too much time running.
Generally those are the guys with the weakest bike handling skills, who slow down massively for corners, etc.
Old 08-04-16, 12:51 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Running is the worse thing you can do. It's a high impact activity. You're knee and other joints will haunt you into your older age if you become an avid runner.
My parents are 67 and 64, both have been runners since their 20s. Both have no issues with their knees or any other joint. Running does have a higher risk of injury than cycling, but it isn't correct to say it WILL wreck your joints. Furthermore, to a certain extent, the fact that running is high impact is a good thing. It helps with bone density.
Old 08-04-16, 12:56 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Generally those are the guys with the weakest bike handling skills, who slow down massively for corners, etc.
I tend to agree with that thought because there is a physical ability to riding a bike and then there is a eye/hand coordination type skills that I don't think you can learn. You are either born with it or not and while these fellow members are certainly more fit and trim than I am and would flat out smoke me in a foot race, they are not so skilled on the bike. They aren't bad bike riders by no means, but lack those finesse skills that help me make up time lost on the areas where I might be needing improvement myself.
Old 08-05-16, 07:57 AM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, running clearly ruined this guy's bike skills, see him slow massively on corners, he can hardly keep his wheels on the ground...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.