Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Equipment Changes, Upgrades, Purchases, Experiments

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 07:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

It's a new year ... time for new things ...

Is anyone thinking about making any changes to their cycling, walking, or other human-powered transportation equipment this year? Or maybe you got something new over Christmas?

Is there a new bicycle in your future? A trailer? Panniers? Walking shoes? Backpack? Gloves?
Have you made changes to the setup ... maybe added a rack or change pedals?
Have you re-designed the basement so it is easier to get at the bicycles?

Are you experimenting with ideas to be able to carry your eggs home from the grocery store a little easier? Or to get through times of inclement weather?
Old 01-13-16, 08:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've done a lot of experimenting with different set ups over the last few years and as of now all of my bikes are set up exactly how I want. No need for any changes or upgrades. I also have a lot of different parts and accessories at home, including wheel sets. I don't even need to go to an LBS, I can do everything at home.
Old 01-13-16, 08:26 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Planning on trying a Strida for a week next week to see if I would enjoy a folder. Why a Strida? Folds in seconds, easy to take into a coffee shop, has a grease-less belt drive and looks cool.
Old 01-13-16, 10:06 PM
timsataurus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting this year off with maintaining my own bike. Yesterday I overhauled my rear wheel since the cone and lock nut where loose, and made a squeaky nose. Today I replaced my Deore crank-set, and exchanged the 32t middle for a 36t. I made this to experiment with commuting. I also swamped out the chain-ring bolts for a set of green anodized bolts. I also replaced platform pedals with a set of mks touring with toe clips and straps. Tomorrow I plan on replacing my handlebar tape, and installing my speed/cadence sensor.

I also plan on experimenting with a bike trailer to carry my camera backpack to places to hike. I also intend to use a padlock at the connector instead of cotter pin to secure said trailer. I'm also taking the trailer wheels into the co-op so that I can true them.

So far I'm having fun working on my bike. Which should become easier as time goes by with the repetition.
Old 01-14-16, 02:38 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This weekend I'll be taking my favorite touring bike down to the frame, boxing it up and shipping it to Seattle for a couple of braze-ons and a paint job. It'll be nice to carry four water bottles and a pump on the frame on those 200-400km rides in the coast hills, and the frame really needs new paint. While it's away, I'll get the parts to rebuild the tired Ergo shifter and I'll put on fresh cables and brake pads.

Today I laced up one of the new wheels for my wife's touring bike. I'm also sending her frame off for a host of changes. When the job is done, her bike will change from 700C wheels to 650B with a front dynohub and she'll go from downtube shifters with a seven-speed freewheel (and a tendency towards broken rear axles) to a hybrid Campy Ergo shifters to Shimano nine-speed. The unique cantilever brakes that came stock on her 1984 Trek 720 never worked well, so she is getting an upgrade to Rodriguez Big Squeeze brakes. We use them on our tandem and love them. She'll also get some nicer carbon fiber handlebars, copies of what she uses on our tandem.

So, two thirty-plus-year-old bikes are about to be reborn with nice semi-modern parts and new paint. Some of the old parts off of my wife's bike will get placed on a 1976 Trek frame I have hanging around to get it back road worthy, so very little of value will go to waste.

It's silly to spend as much as we will on these two bikes, but they have sentimental value to us. Our first dates thirty-three years ago were bike rides and she's had hers all that time. (Mine got stolen by a bike shop while in for a warranty frame repair, but we found it's long-lost brother as new-old-stock a few years later.) Maybe we'll still be riding them thirty years from now. I certainly hope so.
Old 01-14-16, 10:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-14-16, 04:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
You bought a bus? I'm not clear how that fits within "cycling, walking, or other human-powered transportation equipment".

Last edited by Machka; 01-14-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 04:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
This weekend I'll be taking my favorite touring bike down to the frame, boxing it up and shipping it to Seattle for a couple of braze-ons and a paint job. It'll be nice to carry four water bottles and a pump on the frame on those 200-400km rides in the coast hills, and the frame really needs new paint. While it's away, I'll get the parts to rebuild the tired Ergo shifter and I'll put on fresh cables and brake pads.

Today I laced up one of the new wheels for my wife's touring bike. I'm also sending her frame off for a host of changes. When the job is done, her bike will change from 700C wheels to 650B with a front dynohub and she'll go from downtube shifters with a seven-speed freewheel (and a tendency towards broken rear axles) to a hybrid Campy Ergo shifters to Shimano nine-speed. The unique cantilever brakes that came stock on her 1984 Trek 720 never worked well, so she is getting an upgrade to Rodriguez Big Squeeze brakes. We use them on our tandem and love them. She'll also get some nicer carbon fiber handlebars, copies of what she uses on our tandem.

So, two thirty-plus-year-old bikes are about to be reborn with nice semi-modern parts and new paint. Some of the old parts off of my wife's bike will get placed on a 1976 Trek frame I have hanging around to get it back road worthy, so very little of value will go to waste.

It's silly to spend as much as we will on these two bikes, but they have sentimental value to us. Our first dates thirty-three years ago were bike rides and she's had hers all that time. (Mine got stolen by a bike shop while in for a warranty frame repair, but we found it's long-lost brother as new-old-stock a few years later.) Maybe we'll still be riding them thirty years from now. I certainly hope so.
I think that's wonderful ... and understand completely. It's not silly at all! I hope you two will indeed have many more years of cycling ahead of you.
Old 01-14-16, 04:56 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My front tire needs to be pumped up every day. I'll probably have to change the tube some time this year.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-14-16, 05:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
You bought a bus? I'm not clear how that fits within "cycling, walking, or other human-powered transportation equipment".
I thought it fit with the actual description provided by bikeforums.net, which is "Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible?"

My bus company, CATA, is buying the big accordion buses for some more routes. They're fun!

I also am buying a new pair of snow boots for long walks. I would also consider some all-weather running shoes, hiking shoes or boots, as I'm thinking we won't get a lot of deep snow this winter.
Does anybody have any recommendations?

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 01-14-16 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 10:21 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ppw_biking.jpg (42.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-14-16, 10:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I thought it fit with the actual description provided by bikeforums.net, which is "Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible?"

My bus company, CATA, is buying the big accordion buses for some more routes. They're fun!

I also am buying a new pair of snow boots for long walks. I would also consider some all-weather running shoes, hiking shoes or boots, as I'm thinking we won't get a lot of deep snow this winter.
Does anybody have any recommendations?
Well this particular thread is about human-powered transportation.

As for boots, do some research on Sorel. I have a pair of their heavy duty boots, which I like, but they also do shorter boots which might be more appropriate for long walks.
Old 01-15-16, 12:08 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
on my grocery getter, a '76 motobécane grand record, i switched the ugly aero levers for period-correct campy record non-aeros and also added a new banjo brothers grocery pannier.

Old 01-15-16, 01:37 AM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
My front tire needs to be pumped up every day. I'll probably have to change the tube some time this year.
Hey, Big Spender.
Old 01-15-16, 01:40 AM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I think that's wonderful ... and understand completely. It's not silly at all! I hope you two will indeed have many more years of cycling ahead of you.
Thanks. I thought you would understand. I hope you and Rowan also continue to enjoy your riding for as long as possible.
Old 01-15-16, 09:12 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
This weekend I'll be taking my favorite touring bike down to the frame, boxing it up and shipping it to Seattle for a couple of braze-ons and a paint job. It'll be nice to carry four water bottles and a pump on the frame on those 200-400km rides in the coast hills, and the frame really needs new paint.
I have a singlespeed track bike that I take on a lot of gravel roads out in the middle of nowhere that could really use a second set of bottle cage bosses.
Old 01-15-16, 09:40 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
on my grocery getter, a '76 motobécane grand record, i switched the ugly aero levers for period-correct campy record non-aeros and also added a new banjo brothers grocery pannier.

very nice bike!
Old 01-15-16, 10:02 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I also am buying a new pair of snow boots for long walks. I would also consider some all-weather running shoes, hiking shoes or boots, as I'm thinking we won't get a lot of deep snow this winter.Does anybody have any recommendations
The best pair of winter boots I owned were from Columbia (not Colombia!) They were light, warm, had good grip on ice, were easy to put on and take off, and since I fly several times a year I appreciated that they had no metal shanks in the sole and could go through airport security. In Canada we are not typically required to remove footwear.

Last edited by cooker; 01-15-16 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 12:44 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think I'm good for this year. Unfortunately that may not stop me from wandering into a bike shop to see what's on clearance.
Old 01-15-16, 12:55 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
The best pair of winter boots I owned were from Columbia (not Colombia!) They were light, warm, had good grip on ice, were easy to put on and take off, and since I fly several times a year I appreciated that they had no metal shanks in the sole and could go through airport security. In Canada we are not typically required to remove footwear.
I'm surprised you haven't all died in horrible plane crashes after terrorist attacks from neglecting shoe security like that. :eyeroll:
Old 01-15-16, 01:17 PM
k_strict

Bikes: 2016 Surly Straggler 650b, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, 1982 Fuji Supreme

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am selling my car (!) and using the proceeds to buy something that will allow for 38 - 40 tires, mounting racks, and towing my dog. The 23mm skinnies on my commuter are driving me insane as it is--I can't imagine having to use them all the time. Thinking of the Soma Double Cross Disc or Surly Straggler 650b (I am 5 ft nothing).
Old 01-15-16, 01:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
Thanks for the tip. I had a Columbia backpack that was fantastic, so I'll check out their boots. I'm not so worried about the metal--if I fly anyplace, it won't be where winter boots are needed! But good gription is getting more important as I get a little older and it gets a little harder to get back on my feet on a slippery surface.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-15-16, 04:41 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I'm taking the '70's English made Schwinn Approved seatpack from the town bike to the local saddle shop to have the material reinforced with leather at the top rod. The last load of free range chicken from the farmer's market caused an overhaul.

-Bandera
Old 01-15-16, 05:37 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
... shipping it to Seattle for a couple of braze-ons and a paint job.
who will do the work?
Old 01-16-16, 08:47 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Planning on trying a Strida for a week next week to see if I would enjoy a folder. Why a Strida? Folds in seconds, easy to take into a coffee shop, has a grease-less belt drive and looks cool.
I owned a Strida years ago and it's a solid folding bike. What I like about it was that it was the fastest folding bike available. It's also one of the best folders to have if you are taking it inside the cabin of a bus since it's not bulky. I was surprised how well the bike rolled and compared it to a Brompton for short distances less than 3 miles with no hills of course. They even have a three speed model now but the prices have increased by 300% ! I remember when one could buy a Strida for $295.00 dollars! LOL

Be prepared to get lost of questions and stares!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.