Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bike overhauls, how often?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 02:44 AM
timsataurus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I'm just wondering how often other people who use their bike for daily transportation overhaul their bikes.

I took a bike building class last month and it really sank in. I'm currently planning on an overhaul. Just waiting on the parts to be delivered. I'm replacing the crank set, pedals, stem, bar tape, brake pads, and a computer that tracks cadence. In addition to cleaning and adjusting everything else. Once I'm done, my bike will also get a basic fit just to fine tune it. I'm also taking the coops wheel building class next week end. Which will increase my self sufficiency.

I decimated my herd this year (4 other bikes) and just kept the stallion as "the one" Walter (my bike) is a LHDT with a xt/deore drivetrain and derailleurs. I also equipped shimano bar end shifters, cane creek brake levers, and avid bb7 road brakes. I'm changing the 32t chain ring for a 36t which will be used for commuting and 44t for exercise rides. The 22t will round out the deore 9 speed triple.

Here's Walter in a picture I took today. I'm also including a picture of a hawk which sits on the rail next to the mup I ride on daily.

Well thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0004 (640x427).jpg (95.1 KB, 25 views)
IMG_0026 (640x427).jpg (52.2 KB, 31 views)
IMG_0033 (640x427).jpg (63.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by timsataurus; 01-04-16 at 02:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-16, 03:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by timsataurus
I'm just wondering how often other people who use their bike for daily transportation overhaul their bikes.
I fix what breaks. I'm trying to be more proactive with chain replacement. I often ignore bearings unless they start feeling funky (or I'm making a major change on the bike. But, then, it is probably too late, with damaged cones or races.
Old 01-04-16, 06:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
We have 21-ish bicycles ... and it's pretty much an ongoing thing. There's almost always something to maintain, replace, upgrade or whatever. We do try to take pretty good care of our bicycles.
Old 01-04-16, 10:20 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Since I usually have only one or two bikes at a time, and I need to us them every day, it's hard to find the time for major routine maintenance. So the answer to the question is usually once a year, at the most. This will usually be in the spring, after road salt and abrasive silt have been chewing up the various components for the last five or six months.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-04-16, 01:45 PM
timsataurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We have 21-ish bicycles ...
This is one of the reasons I got rid of the rest. When I only had one bike I could keep up. Once I had five I couldn't keep clean, let alone maintained. Now that I have only Walter I've been doing better.

The reason for the overhaul this month is when cleaning Walter I noticed the chain rings needed to be replaced.

Could not imagine maintaining a herd that big.
Old 01-04-16, 10:39 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Bikes that are for joy-riding, the bulk of the herd, are taken care of as needed. Chains are checked every week or two and tossed when they show much over one-sixteenth inch of stretch over 12 inches. I dip the chains in a paraffin-based mix every 300-700 miles or when they squeak. Spare cassettes and chain rings are available in my parts box for those times when a chain change tells me they are needed. Brake pads are checked every month or two and dealt with as needed. I try to check on tires, but mostly only change them after a flat or two (evidence of too much thinning) or when I'm taking off on a tour or very long ride in the hills. If I'm having an anal year, I might even lube the pawls in my wheels and service my pedal axles.

On town bikes, they get ignored until something screams loudly. Oddly, I just did some work on a few today. My son got a new front wheel with a dyno and a pair of new tires. I could see I'll have to change out his chain soon and he is about due for a new rear cog (one-speed). His old front wheel went on my wife's town bike and she got a new rear tire as well.

Next week I have a couple of bikes going off for those once-every-thirty-year jobs. Mine is just getting painted and then I'll rebuild the Ergo shifters and change out the cables. My wife's is also getting painted, but I'm also building new wheels for it and changing it over from downtube shifters seven-speed to Ergo nine-speed. It's also changing from 700C to 650B and getting better brakes and handlebars. It would be cheaper to just replace her bike, but these two bikes have sentimental value for us. I'm going to put the existing wheels from her bike onto an old bike of mine, which amuses me because her wheels were originally my wheels from thirty years ago. A well-built wheel can last a long time, apparently.
Old 01-04-16, 11:05 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Depends on how you define overhaul. I have extra chain rings and cassettes to be used as needed. Just got a new park tool work stand so one bike or another is I. It most of the time. Tires get replaced at about 2500 miles unless they get cut then sooner. I try to have at least one new set waiting in the parts box. Just got a Praxis chain ring set to replace my SRAM chain rings. The cold pressed rings should last longer and the Turn cranks and bottom bracket are a lot beefier as well. I have a force crankset with Ceramic bearings as a spare as well. Bar tape tends to get replaced twice a year on the road bikes and I have lock on grips on the mountain bike. I would say the brakes get replaced twice a year, and I try to keep a complete set in the parts bin. I don't have a bleeder so the disk brakes go to the shop.

But I guess I service each bike front to back once a month. Clean the chain on each bike once a week. And check the stretch every 300 miles.
Old 01-04-16, 11:36 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Depends on the bike.

My daily commuter is a traditional Dutch Gazelle, oiling the chain, and greasing the rollerbrakes a couple times a year is about it except for an annual once over. My other bikes are mostly only for fair weather, and don't need much attention.
Old 01-04-16, 11:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I rarely do "overhauls". To me, an overhaul suggests either I am working on parts that could go hundreds or thousands of mile further and therefore wasting time and effort or I have waited too long on some parts and it is going to cost me. I do try to stay on top of things and do what is required in good time.

My fleet is now 5 bikes, a number that works well.

Ben
Old 01-05-16, 08:10 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
[SIZE=2][FONT=arial]I'm just wondering how often other people who use their bike for daily transportation overhaul their bikes.
I'm taking my town bike down for an overhaul this winter, it's been in continuous service for >41 years following the same maintenance schedule.
An overhaul is re-packing HS, BB, Hubs, pedals, truing wheels, replacing worn consumables.
How often? Annually should keep all bearing surfaces well lubed and prevent component failures in service unless extreme conditions are encountered.
Using multiple bikes increases OH intervals but even modern grease only lasts so long.

Folks who use their machine to get to work plan ahead and do the job over a weekend, it will take time and the correct tools.
Pre-purchase consumables to have on-hand: cables/housing, brake pads, grease, tubes, tires, chain, cog set, bar tape/grips.
Know what type of BB, HS and hub bearing types you have how they are serviced and what tools are required.

Keep a log, knowing how many miles/months between service intervals helps planning when that next chain/cog set needs replacement.

Have at it.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-05-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 09:21 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Most bikes come and go through my life often enough that they never need a complete overhaul. Except the vintage bikes, which get that at the start of ownership -- complete breakdown, clean, and fresh lube on reassembly, replacement parts as needed. For my uber-commuter, I take it down to the frame every couple of years. Mostly just to mess around with it, but I caught some issues which might have become longer term problems. Accessory bolts starting to rust into place which got lube or loctite, seatpost that came out way harder than it went in, lower HS bearing desperately in need of grease, BB needing tightening... If you have a bike that you plan on keeping and the skill/time to do it, a complete overhaul is never a bad thing to do in some downtime or a planned day's event.
Old 01-05-16, 07:37 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I've never overhauled a bike. I've just replaced things as they break or wear. Out of curiosity, how did you get into the class you mentioned? I'd love to take one.
Old 01-05-16, 08:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never had to "overhaul" an entire bike... Only replace worn out parts like chain, brake pads, tires and bottom brackets. My bikes are fixed gear and singlespeed, very simple and nothing to go wrong.
Old 01-06-16, 01:09 AM
timsataurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I've never overhauled a bike. I've just replaced things as they break or wear. Out of curiosity, how did you get into the class you mentioned? I'd love to take one.
The bike co-op in Tucson offers the class. This will be my first time I work on my bike, and I'm doing it at the co-op shop since it only requires a moderate fee. I would imagine that there is a co-op in Minneapolis. I just googled co-op "city I live in"

The class provides you a bike which has been donated. Over the course of five days you spend 20 hours on the project. My plan is do my own bike this month. Since I had shops do the tune ups for me in the past. I was motivated after I spent money for a well known shop to do a crap job. The class was very informative, and their instructors were very supportive. I also want to take the class again next month to further my experience. After that I'm going to volunteer when they fix bikes in the community.

Old 01-06-16, 03:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The bike co-op in Tucson offers the class. This will be my first time I work on my bike, and I'm doing it at the co-op shop since it only requires a moderate fee. I would imagine that there is a co-op in Minneapolis. I just googled co-op "city I live in"

The class provides you a bike which has been donated. Over the course of five days you spend 20 hours on the project. My plan is do my own bike this month. Since I had shops do the tune ups for me in the past. I was motivated after I spent money for a well known shop to do a crap job. The class was very informative, and their instructors were very supportive. I also want to take the class again next month to further my experience. After that I'm going to volunteer when they fix bikes in the community.

Sounds like a great idea!
Old 01-06-16, 11:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Very interesting post. Bike co-ops are awesome!

I don't know if you noticed that there's a sticky thread about bike co-oops in LCF. I hope you'll add the name of your co-op, along with any positive or negative experiences you had there.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...-kitchens.html

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-06-16, 12:28 PM
timsataurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like pricing structure of this co-op for training. The 20 hour class was 90 bucks, and upon completion the return 45 dollars in credit. This makes the access point affordable for many people. Especially those of us on limited incomes. The last place I looked up classes was expensive at 250, and I could never afford it since other priorities kept coming up. They also had you use your own bike, and I'd met people whom did the class, and ended up taking it to a shop. No name is required of the place though.

I'm scheduled to take their wheel building class this week end. Starting to catch the bug.

Checked and saw that the co-op is listed in the thread already.

Last edited by timsataurus; 01-06-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: for accuarcy
Old 01-06-16, 12:51 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I'm scheduled to take their wheel building class this week end. Starting to catch the bug.
Being able to maintain your own equipment pays off in more than $$$ saved, knowing that the machine is a safe and reliable has it's own benefits.
Using a co-op's tools and being backed up by experienced mechanics is a smart play.

-Bandera
Old 01-23-16, 10:05 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Whenever they need it. I seldom do complete tear down. Just repair things that need it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-26-16, 10:32 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Several years ago I took my bike in for an overhaul. $300 in parts and labor for a bike that was originally a freebie. It was money well spent.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-27-16, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Piece at a time ..
Old 01-29-16, 07:49 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on how many miles you put on your bike(s). If you ride it once in a while and look after it, it may not need an overhaul for 20 years. If it's ridden hard every day, it may need an overhaul every 3-5 years. I'd say that, on average, an overhaul would be done every 10 years for a bike that's ridden on a regular basis, such as commuting. A qualified, reputable LBS would be able to tell you if one (an overhaul) is needed after an inspection and/or tune up is done. But that's just my viewpoint. Others will say differently.