Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 11:21 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts

Hello
So, looking(but not committed) to buying a touring bike. The only online store (in Europe) I've found with a larger selection is Evans. I've looked at Fuji, Kona, Dawes, Ridgeback, Trek and Cinelli. But even Evans seems to be short on stock. My interest was peaked with the Dawes Karakum, but as of now, it is not in stock.
I want to avoid drop down bars and bar end shifters.
I have also looked at the Cube line as well as Radon, but they don't convince me that they are full fledged touring bikes.
If anyone can refer an online store and maybe some brands, I have not considered, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-28-17, 02:16 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Hello
So, looking(but not committed) to buying a touring bike. The only online store (in Europe) I've found with a larger selection is Evans. I've looked at Fuji, Kona, Dawes, Ridgeback, Trek and Cinelli. But even Evans seems to be short on stock. My interest was peaked with the Dawes Karakum, but as of now, it is not in stock.
I want to avoid drop down bars and bar end shifters.
I have also looked at the Cube line as well as Radon, but they don't convince me that they are full fledged touring bikes.
If anyone can refer an online store and maybe some brands, I have not considered, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
In my opinion the best intro and bang for your buck touring bike is a generic bike that gets branded as a Fuji Tourist, Windsor Touring and Nashbar touring bike. Not sure what's its branded in Europe.

For $500 you'll get a Deore drive train, good 4130 frameset. It's set up for touring with racks and a fork which can take front panniers.

Earlier versions come with STIs (Tiagra 4500 series).

You may want to rethink the no dropbars. Long days in the saddle require multiple hand positions so just flatbars will be tough. Dropbars at least give you a few positions.
Old 11-28-17, 06:02 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Define "touring" bike...

I have seen just about every type of bike ever built used for touring. I routinely tour on a Raleigh 3 speed. Primarily 2-3 days at most. Longer tours I may use a converted hard tail MTB. I even use a Raleigh Twenty for short single night tours (SO24).

Figure out which bicycle style is most comfortable for you, then find one that you can carry what you want/need. Start riding. To me the tour is more about where I go, who and what I see than how I got there and on what.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-28-17, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can tour on most any bike, its the trip not the bike.

bikes direct is bypassing retail shops for better or worse.. you get a box with a partially assembled bike in it.

they are a paying advertiser here (and Amazon pays kickbacks here too...)

FWIW, In the 80's Evans had their own steel framed touring bikes , there were other regional shops building their own frames.

now they all sell imports, so Low stock happens between container shipping trips to Asia..

costs change.

UK?, Real adventure touring bike?, SJS Cycles, Thorn brand frames, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ _ https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-raven-frames/

will ship stuff to you from their shop. within UK I think they cover shipping.

you can input the component pick , the Thorn Raven line is made around using the Rohloff 14 speed IGH..

[not a lowest cost purchase source, but a life time investment.]

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-28-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 11:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
If you are in Europe, look at the Thorn Sherpa if you are interested in a dérailleur geared bike, Thorn also has some Rohloff models but since you did not mention a Rohloff I assume you want to stick to dérailleur gearing. They are sold by SJS in the UK. I have two of their bikes, a Sherpa and a Nomad, very happy with them. In both cases I bought the frames and built them up but they also sell complete bikes.

Do some internet searches for Santos or Koga.
Old 11-28-17, 12:36 PM
MarcusT

Thanks for the input.
I say full fledged touring bike, because I'm looking for:
Front and rear rack compatible
3 water bottle bosses
36 spoke wheels
perhaps a dynamo
Last year, I converted my MTB to touring and was quite happy, until the rims started to warp ( I don't mean out of true. I mean the rims themselves warped). Trying to find quality 26" wheels for V brake is quite the challenge.
At least, I have time until the season starts .
Cheers
Old 11-28-17, 01:12 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by raria
In my opinion the best intro and bang for your buck touring bike is a generic bike that gets branded as a Fuji Tourist, Windsor Touring and Nashbar touring bike. Not sure what's its branded in Europe.

For $500 you'll get a Deore drive train, good 4130 frameset. It's set up for touring with racks and a fork which can take front panniers.

Earlier versions come with STIs (Tiagra 4500 series).

You may want to rethink the no dropbars. Long days in the saddle require multiple hand positions so just flatbars will be tough. Dropbars at least give you a few positions.
Thanks for the recommendations.
I road raced for years and lived with drop downs, but with the back a little sorer and the belly a little bigger, I need something more upright. I've been using butterfly bars and am satisfied. One day, I hope to try the Jones Loop bars
Old 11-28-17, 01:13 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you are in Europe, look at the Thorn Sherpa if you are interested in a dérailleur geared bike, Thorn also has some Rohloff models but since you did not mention a Rohloff I assume you want to stick to dérailleur gearing. They are sold by SJS in the UK. I have two of their bikes, a Sherpa and a Nomad, very happy with them. In both cases I bought the frames and built them up but they also sell complete bikes.

Do some internet searches for Santos or Koga.
A nice store. The bikes are out of my price range, but they do offer 26" wheels, which I am having a hard time finding.
Thank you
Old 11-28-17, 01:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Koga in NL has a 'Signature' bike you pick the frame size and type and then all the components from a series of menus.

Then when finished , you pick it up at one of Koga's dealers, they will put you name on the frame.
Old 11-28-17, 01:48 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the recommendations.
I road raced for years and lived with drop downs, but with the back a little sorer and the belly a little bigger, I need something more upright. I've been using butterfly bars and am satisfied. One day, I hope to try the Jones Loop bars
Sure. I still think those bikes are the best bang for buck in the touring domain.

Have you tried compact drop bars. They are shallower and with less reach.
Old 11-28-17, 02:10 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
2nd hand Surly LHT?
Old 11-28-17, 08:34 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
1. what is your price range?

2. check VSF
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...xt-30-gang-769
https://www.xxcycle.com/bicycle-and-fahrrad,en.php

3. why 3 bottle cages? 2 is plenty, stop to refill from bottles in packs.

4. your mtb is a good tourer for you? buy new wheels, or buy rims
and rebuild.
Old 11-28-17, 10:52 PM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with saddlesores.

Why not put a pair of trekking bars on the MTB and rebuild the wheels with higher quality rims?
Old 11-28-17, 11:00 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by saddlesores

2. check VSF
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...xt-30-gang-769
https://www.xxcycle.com/bicycle-and-fahrrad,en.php

and rebuild.
Thanks for the referrals. VSF Fahrradmanufaktu has some interesting models. A little pricey, but worth a look.
The third set of bosses is for the pump.
Yes, I am satisfied with the MTB, as mentioned in my original post (aside form the wheels). I am not convinced to change just yet. Seeing what is out there and maybe if a good sale comes out.
Old 11-28-17, 11:03 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by dim
2nd hand Surly LHT?
I have not seen a new one, let alone a used one for sale (in Europe)
Old 11-28-17, 11:35 PM
saddlesores

The third set of bosses is for the pump.
why? your pump comes with a mounting bracket that
bolts under the h20 cage to hold pump next to the bottle.

Old 11-28-17, 11:35 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I have not seen a new one, let alone a used one for sale (in Europe)
Bike24 carries the frame. They also have good prices for components.
Old 11-29-17, 03:07 AM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like 26 inch wheels also. It really limits your options for a new bike.

I have come to the conclusion that I am either sticking with MTB conversions or building a Surly 26" wheel LHT frame from the ground up to get the bike I want to ride.
Old 11-29-17, 05:01 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Stick with what you have

Originally Posted by saddlesores

and rebuild.
100% agree with Saddlesores on both these points.

Bottle cages? I had 4 attached to my Trek MTB. Now I use 3, 2 are the XL size. There are only braze-ons for 2. I also have my pump and Click-stand attached. Truth be told, in Europe I've never needed to carry more than a couple of liters of water, unless wild camping. Even then, water is everywhere! If you're hitting a desert, then maybe you need extra water - but bladders in a pannier I think would be better.

More importantly, if you like your MTB for touring and the rims are the issue.... then get new wheels.
I tried the original wheels on my MTB when I loaded it up, just to see how they handled. The front was ok, the rear failed slowly under the weight. I'm not into ultralite!

I got 2 new 26 wheels from SJS in UK. Front wheel with Son Dynamo. Spare spokes ordered at the same time so I have everything I need for repairs. Very reasonable prices (I thought) and quick shipping. I live in NL, by the way.

I get the feeling that you're new to touring? If so, the most important thing to remember is to tour! Whether that be 1 day, 1 week or 1 month! The more you do, the more you will learn about what is important for YOU!
I'd advise spending as little as possible until you know what you want.

Sounds like you need new wheels for your MTB anyways, so I'd advise getting (touring quality) wheels. If you upgrade your bike you still have the wheels!

Happy Touring!

Frank
Old 11-29-17, 05:07 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I say full fledged touring bike, because I'm looking for:
Front and rear rack compatible
3 water bottle bosses
36 spoke wheels
perhaps a dynamo
Last year, I converted my MTB to touring and was quite happy, until the rims started to warp ( I don't mean out of true. I mean the rims themselves warped). Trying to find quality 26" wheels for V brake is quite the challenge.
At least, I have time until the season starts .
Cheers
What were your original rims? A wheel rebuild with a better quality rim might be the way to go if you are happy with your current setup. That would leave more money for touring.

Here is a picture of my current "touring" build for longer distances. I too have grown in the middle and don't bend so well in the back. I have had it on a couple of 45 mile overnight trips for shakedown, but seeing how I am still gainfully employed longer trips haven't happened... yet.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-29-17, 10:57 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by wahoonc
What were your original rims? A wheel rebuild with a better quality rim might be the way to go if you are happy with your current setup. That would leave more money for touring.

Here is a picture of my current "touring" build for longer distances. I too have grown in the middle and don't bend so well in the back. I have had it on a couple of 45 mile overnight trips for shakedown, but seeing how I am still gainfully employed longer trips haven't happened... yet.

Aaron

I considered rebuild, but it still leaves me with v brake wheels, that while on the road may not be able to be replaced. I saw a set wheels at SKJ and am tempted, but am going to look around a little more.
Old 11-29-17, 11:01 PM
MarcusT

I don't understand why people are more concerned with what I want on the bike. Input is always appreciated. Telling me I don't need this or you don't know that, is not a great help. I am convinced that people want to help and offer their expertise, but if a person has an idea and asks for advice, it is best to not offer compromises for the idea, but rather, methods to realize it
Old 11-30-17, 07:12 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MarcusT, Linear pull brakes' wheel size compatibility depend upon where the frame's and fork's attachment points are located.
A touring frame set, and some new wheels, along with all you can transfer from the mountain bike can make a very acceptable expedition level touring bike. For the near future, repaired or replaced wheels will allow you to hone what features you desire in a touring bike at a low expense.

Brad
Old 11-30-17, 07:41 AM
saddlesores

...Trying to find quality 26" wheels for V brake is quite the challenge...
NOS SUN RIMS CR18 26'' 559x22,5 V-BRAKE rim 36h (from poland!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-SUN-R...0AAOSwKM9ZuVJx

Old 11-30-17, 08:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I am not sure what your concern is about replacing V brake wheels is. Wheels are pretty robust these days, not prone to failure. And if your concern is specific to the rims on wheels that use rim brakes, I have no such concerns. All of my bikes have rim brakes except one has a disc on back and rim brake on front.

I do see a slight improvement in braking in wet conditions with disc brake compared to rim brake, but that is the only significant difference that I see.

But it is your bike, not mine, do what you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.